Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Next Event

Well, if I get some help... What say we utilize the idea I came up with for Intimidation? Wreck of the Intimidator is rediscovered, and factions travel to certain planets where SSD parts are located and battle both one another and a group of corrupted Aing-Tii monks meshed with Rakatan cybernetics to eliminate them and their flagship, as well as acquire the SSD for themselves. There's nothing like a 19km Super Star Destroyer as an event prize to get people to sign up.

And, well, kind of have wanted to do this since right after Dark Harvest...

Ships that large are actually exceedingly impractical and more symbols of power. Plus, rewards like that are silly as they motivate people to play to win which is RPing for all the wrong reasons.

Darth Arcis said:
Staff Translation: 4-5km Prize
Anything above that length would become an essential superweapon in the Galaxy and only serve as a creator of angst when partaking of invasions, events, and other engagements.
Not necessarily. If Rogue Squadron could get the Luskanya captured with the help of 2 Star Destroyers, a Reliant-class cruiser, and a few squadrons of X-Wings, I'd hardly call a damaged, beaten SSD a match for some of the more modern ships.

Selena Halcyon said:
Ships that large are actually exceedingly impractical and more symbols of power. Plus, rewards like that are silly as they motivate people to play to win which is RPing for all the wrong reasons.
That's the point of events. If we did events just for people to participate, there wouldn't be any rewards for any of the factions. The more work you put towards your faction winning, the bigger the reward you ultimately get. There's a reason Valen wasn't too hot with the factions, and it's that the rewards weren't worth the effort put into the event to reap said rewards. You want the dogs to come out and do what you want? Dangle a nice, big, juicy steak over their heads.

Major Faction

Syn

Nimir-ra to Iella, Jedi Shadow
Darth Arcis said:
Staff Translation: 4-5km Prize
Anything above that length would become an essential superweapon in the Galaxy and only serve as a creator of angst when partaking of invasions, events, and other engagements.
yeah and who really needs 19km the biggest we have on the board is 6

as to rewards, that isn't the point of events, first should be playing for fun with some participation things sure. Besides the Valan event has done well for the Republic.

Syn said:
Besides the Valan event has done well for the Republic.
At the expense of the other factions involved. A lot of what happened during that event turned out poorly for all involved. Eg. the space battle, which no one reaped the rewards from.

Selena Halcyon said:
If you think the point of events is to win stuff then you're doing it wrong.
Again, if the point of events isn't to win stuff, why give them stuff to win?

At the expense of other factions? How. No other faction completed a dominion in it. That's not the Republic's fault. At no point did their doing well have anything to do with any poor effect on another faction.
The space battle going poorly is also not the Republic's fault. Other factions could have gotten more involved.

The point of events is having BOARD WIDE RPs that shake the fabric of the community. Clockwork Rebellion offered zero rewards and was wildly successful because the premise was cool and people jumped on board. Their motivation was to be a part of something unique to a specific time and enjoy the experience not to win some thing that was pointless in the end anyways.

Rewards can have an immensely negative effect. A faction can't win, they destroy it so that others can't have it. If the reward was not arbitrarily assigned then that would be interesting but that can be spiteful. Furthermore, once certain rewards become unobtainable people just drop out. Reason being? They are motivated by the reward and not the experience. This is a negative thing. Rewards for event victory, honestly, should be kept secret if they even exist at all.

Incentives are cool. I'm more than okay with them existing. I'm highlighting how people making the rewards of an event their motivation for participating in it is bad.

Same way people warp invasions or Roleplaying in general. It's not a secret that the baddest get the loudest. I just ignore them, and so should you.

However, I know what you mean about the rewards, and I'll keep this in mind since I'm picking up the reigns for this next event.

Darth Arcis said:
The same reason a teacher rewards her students with early recess or a homework pass: participation and good behavior.
And would a 19km SSD hulk not be a significant enough piece of meat in order to get "participation and good behavior" from those who sign up?

At the expense of other factions? How. No other faction completed a dominion in it. That's not the Republic's fault. At no point did their doing well have anything to do with any poor effect on another faction.
The space battle going poorly is also not the Republic's fault. Other factions could have gotten more involved.
There were OOC factors that turned other factions off from being more involved in the event. Any yes, the space battle's outcome is the fault of someone part of the Republic, not the entirety of the faction itself. My mistake.

The point of events is having BOARD WIDE RPs that shake the fabric of the community. Clockwork Rebellion offered zero rewards and was wildly successful because the premise was cool and people jumped on board. Their motivation was to be a part of something unique to a specific time and enjoy the experience not to win some thing that was pointless in the end anyways.
I wasn't here for Clockwork, so I can't comment on that.

Rewards can have an immensely negative effect. A faction can't win, they destroy it so that others can't have it. If the reward was not arbitrarily assigned then that would be interesting but that can be spiteful. Furthermore, once certain rewards become unobtainable people just drop out. Reason being? They are motivated by the reward and not the experience. This is a negative thing. Rewards for event victory, honestly, should be kept secret if they even exist at all.
Yes, and we saw that during Dead Space with the Phobis Device - Black Sun destroyed it as the CIS were attempting to extricate and disarm it. My next post in the Valen space battle, prior to its locking, was going to be tractoring the freighter and ripping it in half. Again, if rewards are not the key rationale behind running an event, why then do we have them as part of the event in the first place?

Major Faction

Syn

Nimir-ra to Iella, Jedi Shadow
Circe Savan said:
There were OOC factors that turned other factions off from being more involved in the event. Any yes, the space battle's outcome is the fault of someone part of the Republic, not the entirety of the faction itself. My mistake.
You know circe is right the space battle was the fault of someone. I mean they refused to post for five-six days and had to be moved by the only active member of the faction willing thus putting 16 fleets under that persons control. Circe is completely right the question is? Who refused to post?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom