Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction Desperate Change on Denon | GA Senate

phelia3.png
CORUSCANT | SENATE HALL
LATE AFTERNOON | SUNNY
TAGS: Open

WzFBvVI.png

Waiting patiently as his booth detached from the walls of the Senate building, Braxton studied the hundreds of other delegates assembled in the massive chamber with a number of thoughts coursing through his mind. This was his first step into the Alliance Senate and the arguably controversial topic he had to discuss merely added to the hint of nervousness he had. Talking to a crowd was one thing, but placing his future on the line was another.

Then again, some senators have gotten away with far more serious situations. If his suspicions were correct, elements in the Alliance would back what he had to say wholeheartedly, especially given the headache the planet had proven to both the people gathered in the Senate building, as well as those sincerely trying to make a difference outside of it.

His intentions were simple. To bring about a long-sought change to the troubled world of Denon. A vote against the DireX ruling over Denon.

”My fellow senators!” He started with a strong voice. ”Friends, colleagues… even rivals in some cases!” A light laugh escaped him, with an underlying hint of grief.

”I am sure that most, if not all, of you have seen the details of the summons. I come before you all today, not as a Senator… but as someone whose heart reaches out for his people! You might not all be familiar with me. My name is Braxton Holst, the newly elected senator of Corellia… but that is irrelevant! I come before you… as a Discrete.”

He looked around for a moment. ”’Discrete’ is the name given to those on Denon, who are seen as worthless by the Corporate Authorities. Those who are unimportant… merely another life to exploit.” He shook his head as his hands rested on the panel in front of him. ”For three decades I devoted my life to rising above that which the DireX saw me as, all in a pursuit to make a difference for the millions of others, like me, who wish for a better future on Denon.” He leaned forward as his gaze drifted over the dozens upon dozens of booths lining the walls of the spherical chamber.

”Those who might know me, will know that I am a businessman. A Corporatist. A DireX, just like those I wish to address today. However! Unlike those… criminals... my mission, and that of my corporation… has been the improvement of lives on Denon!” He turned to gesture at the two private mercenaries standing guard behind him. ”Lives such as these… courageous men! Men who have devoted their lives to try and bring about a better future for their friends, family and fellow Discretes on Denon.”

He looked at the Senate again with a hint of sadness in his features. ”I come before you all today… with a plea for help. A plea for change! I wish… to put forward… a vote of no confidence in the leadership of Denon! Against the ExO and the leading DireX! To declare them illegitimate as the ruling body of Denon. To launch a full investigation against the so-called ‘rumours’ of crimes against sentient life! Glorified slavery, indifference to basic needs! Negligence and rampant corruption!” His voice carried a powerful sincerity and determination as he looked around with arms outstretched in front of him.

”But that is not all… I suggest that we, the Senate, servants of the people, decide on a new group capable of bringing about a change we have all been looking for on Denon.” He took a deep breath and brushed his hair back, reeling in the passion he let flow throughout his opening statement.

GADividerBlue.png

WAR DRUMS
NIGHTSHRIKE vol. II
Issue #1 w/ Corin Trenor Corin Trenor

[...] continued from here
The vigilante turned around and half-sat on the railing with arms folded. "People in the Senate have taken an interest in Denon, too. That Alderaani, Organa. Says he wants to help stop the Corpos and their corruption, wants me to hand off all the information I can find off to him. Part of me thinks his involvement is what's made it all worse. Stirring the nest."

The Nightshrike frowned, "Gave him something?" the question sounded more like a warning rather than an inquiry. The raven-haired vigilante had witnessed a fair share of senatorial interventions. None ended well.

And as if on cue, a beep sounded off his earpiece. With a tap on his wristpad, Shrike produced a holo feed of the Senate Chamber. Some Yula slicing and some Auteme favors and this is what you get.

A real-time live show of a vote of no confidence against the Corporate Authorities on Denon pushed forth by none other than Braxton Holst Braxton Holst , the 'People's Champion'.

The Red Mask would recall seeing the man during the duo's espionage on the seventh corporate ball on Denon.

He glanced at his former ward, a sour taste rising up his chest in apprehensive anticipation of the voting to come.​

T H E_T I G E R
Aiko Hayata|Coruscant|Senate matters
Tags: Braxton Holst Braxton Holst
8foFMuM.png

The senate once held an allure for Aiko, being the centre of all importance in the core and arguably the broader galaxy. If you had asked the Atrisian if she'd been standing here representing her home planet, she might've laughed, but fate and ambition had a strange way of manifesting itself.

She knew all too well of Braxton... and his eclectic group of mercenaries and weapons; she was a prolific dealer in the latter herself and relied on the former to keep business interests in check. It was always comforting to see another entrepreneur in the senate, such as herself, balanced out all the annoying bleeding heart liberals and tree huggers from the border world.

She nodded along to Braxton's plea, smiling at the idea of that sh*t hovel planet and it's collection of anarchists getting well and truly pacified. She'd lost count of how many times those street rats had tried firebombing her offices on Denon and spray painting her lovely white ceramic walls with derogatory graffiti and gang signs. Though Aiko much preferred when their kind bombed her rival's offices and warehouses, it kept competition healthy and made things much easier for her and her accomplices.

Aiko couldn't care less for the corporatists present on the planet either, and they were just taking up space and oxygen by that point. Braxton's little scheme helped remove them far better than she ever could on her own without resorting to heavy-handed 'criminal' violence. That was too much heat, too much bloodshed; this, however, was perfectly legal and all too convenient.

CC-Express-20211230-1313590-23524539208052164.png

Objective: Discuss plans for Denon
Tags: Braxton Holst Braxton Holst Aiko Hayata Aiko Hayata

Background-Eraser-20220313-133301466.jpg
The Senator for a Constancia sat in the chamber and listened to the others speak before making her own statement. It was a difficult position and if it she didn't see through it she would almost admire Braxton Holst Braxton Holst for this politcal maneuvering and gamesmanship. Make it so a vote against his hostile takeover of Denon's market appeared as a vote against its populace, it was smart, Aerarii Tithe Aerarii Tithe would have been so proud of this man.

She finally had her chance to speak. "Honorable senators, the representatice of Corellia is correct in that the alleged abuses on Denon must come to an end. However, to remove the ruling government before an investigation had been carried out would be putting the cart before the horse, we are after all a civilisation of law.

Which comes to my next concern, the removal of a planetary government is not something that should be done lightly, if it is even without our remit. Lest we become as controlling as the Empire to the North, we all know how badly the situation on Kuat was handled. And if we set a precedent for this what for the future? What if the honorable representative from Atrisia decides she doesn't have enough market share on Constancia? Can I expect my own government to be replaced at the request of her organisation?"
she grinned, she couldnt outright say that this was nothing but a hostile takeover by Braxton's company, but she would get as close as was diplomatic.

"I would propose a formal investigation into what is happening on Denon, I believe there is enough accusations to warrant economic sanctions and restrictions against the ruling DireX. We can change a government without imposing a coup."

She sat back down and widened her eyes at herself, she and her bloc believed strongly in the rights of individual planets to self determination, but she also believed that the atrocities of the corporations were one of the greatest plagues of the modern era, so she felt herself dancing a line. Her preferred option would be to protect the people while they showed them there was a better route and have a new ruling system found democratically, but that took time. "Urgh! Politics!" she huffed to her senatorial aide. "I know exactly what you mean, the man has the whole senate in a bind with this move" The diminutive constancian male replied.
ezgif-com-gif-maker.gif

"Increase in crime due to additional intervention," the red helmeted man replied with a hidden smirk, albeit almost audible in some sense. "It should ideally see some of those extra few forced off-world, and who else better to verify these facts than the Jedi Watchmen of Denon? Provided the Senate believes in a reasonable course of action..." His voice indicated a certain disbelief, an ideal shared between the two. Else their lives may otherwise seem a lot different.

He settled in close to observe the feed. The familiar Darkwire associated face of Braxton Holt forced a crease to his brow.

His vocoded words continued, "The Senate is too afraid of the immediate immoral choice. It'll fall in favour of this Holt, earn their starbirds for fine service, and then turn a blind eye as whatever intervention is planned ruins lives down here. Corpos never play fair."

Dagon Kaze Dagon Kaze

Senate Hall, Coruscant
Denon Senator Dominique Vexx

Dominique Vexx lounged back into the comfort of her expansive seat and peered over her colored glasses at the man that came with a modest proposal. She casually set aside the datapad that had been in her hand so she might pick up her drink and listen as Braxton Holst pined and lamented about the Little People. Rather than spend her entire time listening to the speech crafted for the day's affair, her golden eyes roamed aboard the chamber at the rest present. After all, the Senate was not at the whim of any one of them. It all came down to how many you persuaded to yourself and what you were willing to give to acquire it.

After a few words were spoken on the matter, Vex uncrossed her leg and slowly stood to her feet. The glass was carefully set down on a side table before the violet Senate strode to the front to address the assembly personally. A single, fluid motion slipped the glasses from her slender nose and carefully stored them into a pocket on her suit.

"Honorable and Venerable Senators, despite the proposed anarchy by Denon's detractors, the men and women leading our fair world seek to provide the grand vision that has been laid out before you today. Each of us seeks to bring about peace, harmony, and well-being to all of our people. We do not gather in this assembly with daggers poised to slit one another's throats as the Sith, nor armies marshaled at the borders ready for conquest as an Empire. We come here to unite; to strengthen one another where we are weak, and provide aid and supplies when calamity strikes. None of this should be in dispute." Vexx had turned to address all in attendance slowly rather than fix on any one assembly or even Holst himself.

"How then could this assembly deign pass summary judgment on any world that has joined in good faith? Does Denon not provide goods and services? Was Denon not there in the wake of the Maw's assault upon Coruscant itself? Do we wage war with our neighbor? Might there be philosophical debate as to the design of our society? Certainly. I could cast an eye out to several other worlds here and proclaim that their way of life too should be overturned or 'investigated.'" Vexx scowled as she spared Holst a sideways look. "But I do not, for I do not rule nor represent your world and its people. Your ways are not my ways. Your beliefs not my beliefs. It is by this diversity that this Galactic Alliance endures!"

Vexx slowly lowered her hands to the banister before her. She drew in a breath and released it. "Denon has its share of troubles, but the DireX Board are not the monsters some claim them to be. The Corporations provide stability for Denon. Productivity for Denon. The means for the people that walk its street, sit at its cafes, and bask in the parks of Denon. If someone would dare to claim that our world's government should summarily be suspended, replaced, and even completely re-envisioned for the benefit of those that can scarcely hide their selfishness even before this very Senate... I can only imagine how many other worlds' shores might soon darken beneath the ravenous few that seek to undermine the very purpose of this assembly."

"Vote against this proposal. Denon needs your help now,"
Vexx reached out with one hand toward the center of the chamber, "before this shameful initiative is but the first of many; and I guarantee we will be there for you should they dare come for you as well. Thank you." The Senator bowed her head and stepped back from the banister, but did not return to her seat. She would remain poised to answer any question or challenge put forth in the wake of her rebuttal.

Damn Braxton Holst. Investigation? Sanctions? Overthrow the DireX Board? The man was trying to get her killed! Worse, he was trying to drive her of every conceivable means of economic well-being she'd managed to amass on Denon. The arrogant bastard. The sob story at the forefront was a nice touch. Think of the children. She doubted the man would have much thought for the children after he got his clutched around Denon. Plenty of photo ops and stories about orphanages, perhaps, but scarcely a thought.

Braxton Holst Braxton Holst | Dagon Kaze Dagon Kaze | Aiko Hayata Aiko Hayata | Xasha Callisto Xasha Callisto | Corin Trenor Corin Trenor

phelia3.png

SENATE CHAMBERS
CORUSCANT
- Braxton Holst Braxton Holst - Aiko Hayata Aiko Hayata - Xasha Callisto Xasha Callisto - Dominique Vexx Dominique Vexx -
Alicio wasn't ready.

He had been conducting his own silent investigation of Denon, with the help of a small group of individuals. He'd found a veritable smorgasbord of issues in his time on the planet. Gang violence was the way of life. People fell into spice like quicksand. And the Corporate Authorities, the very government of the planet, flaunted the wealth they extorted from the populace, as if the suffering of the common folk beneath them were a badge of honor.

In a relatively short time, Alicio and his ring of investigators found a few pieces of incriminating evidence. Informants, drugs on the streets, arms smuggling, back-alley extortion and mercenary contracts. But it wasn't enough to ensure change happened. Only just enough to endanger the people he was trying to protect.

So as Senator Braxton Holst Braxton Holst , a corporatist, of all people, put forward the motion to completely dismantle the current ruling government of Denon, Alicio was a bit shocked, to say the least. Moreso his idealist rhetoric while introducing his vote of no confidence. It was the kind of unabashed morality that Alicio would expect from... well, one of his own speeches.

It had taken him a moment to realize Holst wasn't being entirely honest. Alicio was still new to politics, after all.

Senator Organa was glad to see Senator Xasha Callisto Xasha Callisto give her perspective on the situation. Alicio knew her to be a rather level-headed individual, and he could trust the Concordist to have a measured opinion on the matter. Senator Dominique Vexx Dominique Vexx 's rebuttal earned far less respect from the Count, but... she wasn't entirely wrong either.

The caped form of Senator Organa came forward, given a chance to interject. "I thank Senator Holst for bringing this issue before the Senate," he began, his words measured. "If there is an issue concerning the welfare of Alliance citizens, it is our sworn duty as representatives to address it. If an investigation into the practices of the Noble Houses of Alderaan was warranted, I would hope the Assembly would launch it, to 'strengthen what is weak' on my homeworld." He sent a neutral look towards Senator Vexx. "That being said, I do believe an investigation of the Corporate Authorities of Denon is not only warranted, but necessary."

"But we cannot be so quick to swing the sword at the proverbial necks of any governmental body. Especially not before an official investigation is declared. To put the question of legality to the side for a moment, I'm concerned that extreme action will harm the people you are so vehemently trying to protect, Senator Holst."
He frowned, fighting to keep passive. Corin Trenor Corin Trenor had discovered as much. "I agree with Senator Callisto; we must go forward with an investigation. And in the event that the corporations of Denon are found wanting, then we can discuss how to either fix what is broken, or empower the people of Denon to foster a new government."

He stepped back, wishing he could say more, discuss what evidence he did have, but showing a bit of restraint instead.

phelia3.png
CORUSCANT | SENATE HALL
LATE AFTERNOON | SUNNY
TAGS: Xasha Callisto Xasha Callisto | Alicio Organa Alicio Organa | Aiko Hayata Aiko Hayata | Dominique Vexx Dominique Vexx

WzFBvVI.png

Braxton was ready for some backlash from the other senators. After all, what he was proposing wasn’t something to be done without some considerable thought and planning to ensure a smooth transition. But he soon began to understand the main issue they had with his proposition. Senator Xasha Callisto Xasha Callisto spelled it out brilliantly with her analogy.

He waited patiently for the senators to voice their concerns, his focus quickly honing in on Dominique Vexx Dominique Vexx and Alicio Organa Alicio Organa for a moment. Arguably two very crucial allies to gain along with Aiko Hayata Aiko Hayata and, more importantly, ones who wouldn’t try to bomb his establishments with inferior explosives.

He only trusted the Atrisian as far as he could throw her.

”Honourable Senators… pardon my distasteful question… but how many of you have eaten a putrid apple?” He spoke up as he looked at the other booths hovering around the empty space of the chamber.

”I had to when I was six years old. Snuck to the upper levels and found a dumpster that turned out to be a feast for a slum rat like myself.” His voice was calmy and somber as he looked around. ”But a member of the DireX back then, I fail to recall his name, noticed me in the back of his limousine. He stopped, climbed out with his entourage of bodyguards and fellow colleagues, and held up a hundred credit chip. He told me that it was mine if I ate a putrid apple.” A sad chuckle escaped him as he pulled a worn, defaced credit chip from his pocket and held it up. ”That is the views of the people the honourable Senator Vexx is trying to defend.”

He shook his head as he put the chip away again and leaned against the terminal in front of him. ”I understand all your concerns. After all, my fellow colleagues in the private sector haven’t exactly been as honest as they should. ‘There is nothing more dangerous than an honest businessman’ is the saying in our world of corporate affairs. But you misunderstand my intentions.” His voice grew more determined, an uncharacteristic sense of sincerity and determination creeping up in his voice.

For the first time in a long time, he was talking like a resident rather than a businessman.

”I am not proposing to just usurp the current regime of DireX. Denying them a fair trial and investigation, as well as a fair attorney to represent them, is criminal. Lawless. No better than our Imperial neighbours who have proven to not bat an eye at robbing someone of a fair and democratic solution to problems.” He took a breath.

”What I am proposing, is to put together a team while the investigations and trials are underway. Even a corrupt government is better than no government at all. I’m sure we all can recall that a vote was passed not too long ago to investigate the situation of a peaceful protest, that I was a part of, that turned into a brutal oppression at the hands of CorpSec. There will be no shortage of evidence to be found… but we can not turn a blind eye either to the few good elements on Denon as well.” He looked directly at Dominique for a moment before extending an arm towards her.

”People like honourable Senator Vexx. In an ocean of sharks waiting for an opportunity to strike, we all have had to do some things we are not proud of to survive. However, I have seen the good she has done and the risks she has taken as well. Even my own company is employing hundreds of millions of citizens from Denon. Fair wages, free healthcare, housing, proper food and running water… that is what we are trying to achieve, my dear Senators. A free and fair Denon!” A hand raised slightly in a firm fist as he looked around him.

He was sticking his neck out dangerously far with this. But behind the agenda of a businessman was a little glimmer of a man genuinely trying to help his people. He understood Dominique’s insistence of protecting the DireX entirely. Sticking his neck out for her as well was an even bigger risk.

”Let us launch these investigations. Let us have these hearings. But, let us also have someone in place to help the people instead of leaving them to continue suffering on their own. Senator Organa raises a very good point. It can pose a risk to the people… if we do not handle this correctly. Now, what I propose might sound rather counterproductive to many of you, but I propose that we choose an element the people of Denon not only recognize, but also respect and look up to." He paused for a moment as he studied the reactions of the crowd around him.

Denon has always been a corporate planet. Sending in a team of humanitarians might be the best course of action, but it might receive backlash and the suffering we wish to avoid. I am proposing that this hypothetical team be composed of Corporate leaders working in close conjunction with the Chancellor and the Senate. To restrain ourselves in the event a few rotten apples manage to get through, but also to ensure a reliable link to the rest of the Alliance to help the people as best we can.” He swallowed hard at the next thought in his head.

He was going to snap his own neck with all this stretching.

”As a gesture of good faith, I am willing to donate a hundred billion galactic standard credits from Hex Incorporated’s own coffers, as well as a full backing to help the Galactic Alliance in this endeavour. Pro Dio. The people of Denon know me and my company. As the one putting this motion forward, I’ll be the first to put my neck on the proverbial chopping block in this endeavour.”

GADividerBlue.png

jGarC04.png

CORUSCANT
SENATE CHAMBERS

Caulder Dune received Holst's consecutive monologues with much the same enjoyment as he might receive a root canal. An inelegant attempt to seize influence. Transparently self-serving. He wondered if Holst had attempted to secure anyone's support before bringing this proposal forward. Perhaps whatever he was attempting did not depend on actually passing this proposal.​
In some ways, Holst reminded Caulder of his former colleague, Marcus Tritum. Clumsy and vacuous. He'd bite off more than he could chew and ultimately accomplish very little. Tritum, at the least, had the sense to kill himself.​
Something told Caulder that the galaxy would be stuck with Holst for much, much longer.​
His pod detached itself from its dock, floating out almost aimlessly into the fray.​
"The Commerce Guild commends Senator Holst for his company's treatment of its employees," the old umbaran began his usual drone, watching Holst with a withering glare. "But we must still humbly request he cease treating this discussion - on which the lives of many billions hinge - as an opportunity for self-advertisement."​
Dune redirected his attention to the Senate at large.​
"The notion that the Galactic Alliance should replace one unelected cabal of corporate entities with another unelected cabal of corporate entities is asinine. Yet this is irrelevant, for the Senate should not presume to debate the sentence of the Corporate Authorities before a conviction and before a trial."​
He continued, "Any further discussion on what is to be done to the Corporate Authorities must be postponed until the Strategic Intelligence Agency - or a similarly trustworthy apparatus of the government - delivers a full report on Denon. In the meantime, perhaps Senator Holst has formal evidence he wishes to submit to the Senate for its consideration?"​

Last edited:
Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

Politics. She didn't like them. Worse, she didn't like when they were unexpected. The plan had been in motion. Collect evidence in the shadow of the DireX before they realized they were being investigated and started to clean shop. And now they were on full blast. Iris hadn't had the chance to fully investigate the board or their actions. Hell, she'd only just gotten her foot in the door with the Corpo Security, and even that had people on pins and needles. Feeling a need to find a place to retreat to if they were discovered. For their families to retreat to.

Walk in the streets her ass. Clever wordplay to avoid the fact they couldn't do so safe.

Big reason she didn't like politics.

She moved into the senate chambers, walking right towards Alicio's section without delay. She wasn't ready. Thankfully someone else had been. The tips, the information she'd been given, Iris honestly doubted it'd be enough to pull the DireX from their position of power. But it would be enough to enforce a proper investigation. She took a seat in the pod, nodding once to the Alderaanian Senator as she handed over the datachip.

HRD Raids impersonating Darkwire to sabotage their reputation. Factories known to create faulty equipment, sponsored by the DireX. Holding onto valuable supplies to take over a world. Slave labor. Peaceful protests turned to brutal riots. Bombings that weren't properly investigated. Irresponsible raids with far too much collateral damage. Unethical torture and punishment.

On their own, easily brushed aside. But stacked together? Video recordings, files, audio recordings, witness testimonies brushed under the rug. Iris would have to find the time to thank the anonymous source that had scent this her way. Right now, she just hoped it'd all be enough to open a proper investigation.

Alicio Organa Alicio Organa | Braxton Holst Braxton Holst | Caulder Dune Caulder Dune | Xasha Callisto Xasha Callisto | Aiko Hayata Aiko Hayata | Dominique Vexx Dominique Vexx

WAR DRUMS
NIGHTSHRIKE vol. II
Issue #1 w/ Corin Trenor Corin Trenor

Stripped of his alter-ego of the Nightshrike, he was the Jedi Watchman of Denon -- Dagon Kaze. Red Mask's mention of the mantle brought a sigh out of the vigilante's lips and a pair of fingers to pluck the bridge of his nose. The last thing he needed was to be summoned to the Senate. Somehow it felt as worse as the rising possibility of further intervention from Coruscant in the form of the SIA.

He glanced at his former ward; the boy-turned-man, the street kid that became a Knight. Corin was already forming conclusions and theories of how the voting process would go. Distant were the days when he was merely an urchin prowling to survive the bloodied gutters of Denon. He may have still considered himself true to his unsavory roots, but he had become so much more. A Knight of the Jedi Order. Much like Dagon, his knowledge of political processions and lawmaking was imposed on him by the nature of his duty.

And the more they knew, the uglier it got.

"'s that the Senator you mentioned?" he jerked his head at the hologram of the Alderaani Senator, "What's his interest with Denon? Find out?" there never, or rarely, was a case when a politician made a move that was not motivated solely by their self-interest. "Any ties to OCGs or the X?"​

Senate Hall, Coruscant
Denon Senator Dominique Vexx

Vexx returned Senator Organa a flat stare in response to his hope the great Senate would save his powerless world. It was truly confounding how short sighted these people were. As someone that played the game on Denon the movements in the Senate were being practically telegraphed. Well, they wouldn't find Dominique letting her frustration show. At least Senator Organa wasn't about to throw everything away on a whim -- just on a fool's hope.

Her golden eyes narrowed a hair after Holst was finished with his sob story and managed to seemingly compliment her as a 'good element.' The man would forgive her for not feeling elated at such praise. He was, after all, trying to destroy everything in order to pick up the pieces. If he thought to win her over he'd need to do a lot more in private than half-heartedly stroke her ego in public. Such a pushover would never have made it as Senator on Denon. She still might not if Holst got his way and the DireX Board thought to take their pounds of flesh out of Vexx for failing to stop it all. But the game wasn't over yet.

Caulder Dune's sentiments weren't exactly a ringing endorsement to shut down this nonsense about an investigation, but it was still quite welcome.

"It appears the Senate is so inclined to pursue an 'investigation' of events unfolding on Denon." Vexx had stepped forward again and slowly scanned the Senate with her eyes. "Naturally it is well within the Charter to do so. The duly formed government of Denon will, of course, make itself available to aid in this difficult task." Investigations could be drawn out, delayed, and eventually quietly shelved, reports weakened, or influence garnered to make even a damning report ineffectual. "I must stress that any attempt to suspend that government will only result in turmoil for Denon's people, and untold impact to Denon's productivity. It would not be wise for the Senate to repeat mistakes of the past, but on an even greater scale. There is much Denon provides to the people of the Alliance; a well-organized, coordinated investigation would help avoid any such unintended consequences."

"With respect to Commerce Guild,"
Vexx nodded slightly to Dune before her eyes turned back to Holst, "now is not the appropriate time to submit evidence about the claims levied against Denon. If the Senate wishes to conduct an equitable examination of our affairs then it is only reasonable that all judicial formalities be conferred. We can hardly be expected to counter evidence we have not seen, and such a one-sided presentation might be be tantamount to character assassination of one of the Alliance's members." Of course, Vexx could stand toe-to-toe and quibble over any so-called evidence even at a spur of the moment. That, however, wasn't the point. The point was to make them follow the letter of the law every step of the way, and to suggest that doing otherwise would be to taint this... crusade against the 'evils' of Denon.

At least the DireX Board would not find fault in their Senator's attempt to leverage every legal means at her disposal to slow down -- if not stop -- these proceedings. Should be enough to keep them from any rash actions.

Braxton Holst Braxton Holst | Dagon Kaze Dagon Kaze | Aiko Hayata Aiko Hayata | Xasha Callisto Xasha Callisto | Corin Trenor Corin Trenor | Alicio Organa Alicio Organa | Caulder Dune Caulder Dune | Iris Arani Iris Arani

T H E_T I G E R
Aiko Hayata|Coruscant|Senate matters
Tags: Braxton Holst Braxton Holst Xasha Callisto Xasha Callisto Caulder Dune Caulder Dune Iris Arani Iris Arani Dominique Vexx Dominique Vexx
8foFMuM.png

She'd hardly seen the bright-haired girl before, but then there were many senators in the alliance, and it'd have been a chore to meet them all. But at least, this was as good an introduction as any. The knight's evidence proved to be particularly damning, HRDs masquerading and attacking lawful citizens? It sounded like something Aiko might've done; hats off to whoever thought of that. It's always a convenient avenue to deploy, especially when HRDs do not have feelings, attachments or a soul to forfeit.

Aiko stepped forward, glancing at the mic in front of her; she gave it a few test taps before speaking and addressing those present.

"Ladies and gentlemen, if I might have my say, an investigation into Denon would be very beneficial to all... law-abiding citizens present, after all, if Denons government has nothing to hide, then they can wholeheartedly cooperate with the senate investigation."

She'd play the devils advocate for now. Aiko was in wholehearted agreement with senator Xasha Callisto, despite neither of them being in any formal sense political friends.

"But not at the risk of being totally blindsided and sidelined by said investigation, it takes two to dance and if we are to see any positive results beyond bickering and legal warfare in the courts, then both sides must cooperate and comply fairly to the proceedings."

Aiko glanced at Braxton, before tilting her head up high and smiling. If Braxton's bullrush way of trying to fix Denon didn't work, then a formal investigation agreed upon by both sides and monitored by senate officials might. It wouldn't rid the planet of them, but it'd undoubtedly apply pressure and pain.

"If there's nothing to worry about, then cooperate with the investigation," she addressed Dominique Vexx Dominique Vexx directly.

Damian Du Couteau, Senator of Empress Teta
Outfit

JiGZUcY.png
Damian struggled to find a comfortable spot anywhere to sit on the stiff cushions that padded the seat. Is this how they manage to keep everyone standing in the Senate Chambers? By making sitting such an uncomfortable prospect? The young Tetan Noble mused as he refocused his thoughts on the data-slate in front of him. Reconstruction of his home-planet had brought along such terrible amounts of slate work, the piles of data-pads left in his office a visual reminder of how little his efforts had made a dent in all this administration work. How did my Father ever manage?
His concentration broke for a moment as a voice echoed within the chambers, Damian being reminded of the reason for his change of scenery from his overstuffed office to the Senate Hall proper. Ah yes, my Senatorial Duty of voting and representing the Tetan people. Damian almost wilted a tad of the thought alone. The various ongoings of the Galactic Alliance, rather the assorted proceedings of the Senate, were mostly bureaucratic monotony.
It nearly beggared disbelief of how quickly the people of the Alliance could move from one crisis to the next. If the Maw hadn’t come so close to nearly ripping the Alliance in two, one could almost be forgiven to forget about it all as thoughts turned towards the Eastern reaches of the galaxy and against the Imperial threats. Though Damian felt certain that the Eastern and Norther parts of the galaxy would only continue to fan the flames of chaos and destruction. The galaxy never ceases its constant production of malicious terror upon the Galactic Alliance.
And now we sit and listen of Denon’s trouble with Organized Crime and Willful Corruption of the Planetary Government Body. Damian despised the shady backroom dealing, smoke-filled offices of corrupted Offices, Faux Businessmen and Criminals shaking their hands together. Of course this wasn’t just a problem that involved only Corporate Entities and corrupt Governments, but also with Nobles and their “Aged Traditions” and things settled in the “old ways”. Stopping one backstab and you create two more right out of sight line. Damian almost sigh loudly, but stifled it as he raised his hand to his mouth.
Damian continued to listen as a few Senators voiced their concerns for the Legislation being voted upon, and their concerns were valid in his eyes. Investigations into Planetary Leaders and Governments were one thing, but complete removal of them was another matter entirely. The Byss Affair was before his tenure, but Damian remembered his Father’s notes of the matter.
While the Alliance proved itself correct in the aftermath, without a clear direct threat to Alliance’s security and safety, such acts would be questioned with far more scrutiny. I guess if we can say Denon was under the control of Mawite or Imperial Agents, such actions being suggested here would be justified against such an obvious villain. Damian relaxed into his seat a tad more, but quickly leaned forward as his back felt the padding.

The new senator of Corellia was a cutthroat corporatist. He wasn't even sure how the man had risen to prominence in the Confederation but he suspected it had to do with his benefactors in the Corellian Corporate Counsel and the City Fathers. The City Fathers were old Corellian money. They had changed over the millennia but most had some tie to ancient Corellian nobility and the ancient colonial monarchy when the Solos still ruled. With those kinds of friends, anything was possible. The man had started muscling in on the weapons manufacturing side of the planet, buying up family run factories and dumping credits into new Coronet infrastructure. A hostile takeover. Now he was trying to do the same here in the senate, pushing out his rivals one by one.

He pinched the bridge of his nose as he watched the proceedings. As Vice Chancellor his power started and ended with keeping order in the Senate Chamber. He could add his voice to the fray but did he speak out against his own home for Denon? He'd heard of the world. At this point who hadn't? The Nightshrike and his little cadre of masked crusaders were all the rage with kids. Shows like 'TRAA' and 'Battlestar and the Exiles' were getting a second wind because of the supposed actions of costumed Force wielders fighting the corrupt corporate forces of Denon and the world's criminal underworld. If Denon was so bad vigilantes had begun springing up like weeds then maybe it was the right thing to do to investigate Denon's leadership if only to see if they were really as corrupt as the rumors said. He looked to Auteme Auteme .

"What do you think?" He said to her quietly, "There's precedent for it. Both Kuat and Byss had similar things happen, even if they were more...violently opposed." Precedent didn't always mean it was the right thing to do though - but with how many of the Corpos were nodding along with them being the most powerful party.

Denon- District 7, at the edge of Baker's Row

From her position beneath the lifted speeder, Yula could see the television set in the corner of her garage. It was one of those clunky older models, a broken device she'd scrounged from a street corner and fixed up. Signals were sometimes spotty and the picture would static out when it stormed, but it kept her entertained while she worked.

The live senate hearing was comparatively boring to the usual Totally Real Adventures of Auteme andSecret Life of Gorba reruns she preferred. Grunting, Yula poured her effort into removing a stuck bolt from the underbelly of the bike. She didn't recognize any of the talking heads on the holoscreen and reckoned that their verbal sparring would be more entertaining with the reveal of a secret affair.

The mechanic grumbled louder, yanking the stuck bolt so hard she'd warped her spanner. The tool was discarded to the ground with an angry clatter. Call her bitter, but none of them gave a chit about Denon, only what they could get out of Denon. Their rapt interest over the world struck her as strange—Denon wasn't rich in any particular resource that you couldn't find elsewhere, nor was it strategically important. Things started to kick up in the Alliance after she'd live-streamed snippets of an active riot, but that talk had trailed into the abyss as well. CorpSec goons had smashed in the windows of her garage as a warning the next day.

One last grunt, and the bolt came free. Dirty tibanna oil poured over her shirt and she swore loudly.

CC-Express-20211230-1313590-23524539208052164.png

Objective: Discuss plans for Denon
Tags: Braxton Holst Braxton Holst Aiko Hayata Aiko Hayata Iris Arani Iris Arani Alicio Organa Alicio Organa Yula Perl Yula Perl Dominique Vexx Dominique Vexx Auteme Auteme Damian Du Couteau Damian Du Couteau

Background-Eraser-20220313-133301466.jpg
For the Concordist Senator of Constancia, someone who had been a member of the FAC during its existence and a firm supporter of the election of chancellor Auteme Auteme . It now felt alien to her to be on the same side of the fence as the likes of Aiko Hayata Aiko Hayata and Dominique Vexx Dominique Vexx , both corporatists and both senators of worlds mired in corruption. But it was the principle of planetary self determinism at stake after all, and that meant something.

"You paint a tragic story of the child with the apple, it pains me to hear of such abuses and it is a shame that you were not able to glean any further information than his direX affiliation, if his name were known I would enjoy to see him explain himself." There was more than a good chance chance that the story was untrue but who didn't embellish things a little to paint a picture in this hall. She was pleased that a large number of other senators appeared to be very reluctant to sweep aside a planet's government at the word of this man, there would be investigations maybe even criminal charges pressed. She wondered just how hard it might be to bring true democracy to a planet like Denon, probably as difficult as routing put the corruption on the rotten ball of durasteel she currently stood on.

Xasha herself had voted on the bill that had condemmed Corpsec actions during riots on Denon, she was not blind to the fact that strong action needed to be taken. "Senator Vexx is correct that the senate chamber is the wrong time and place to be reviewing the evidence, it should be submitted at the soonest opportunity to the committee, there is enough information already publicly known to allow us to pass forward with a formal investigation. I will happily add my own name to the list to take this responsibility, I have no corporate interests or relations on the planet that would effect my impartiality."

It could be interesting, she had never been to Denon before, which was likely a good thing from what she had heard.

qC8JFYe.png

Coruscant
Alicio and Amani's apartment

Amani liked to turn on senatorial debates any time they were televised. A sort of bare minimum show of support for Alicio and his work (though how much she paid attention was often dependent on how much he featured, and the topic up for discussion).

Today’s debate in particular struck a chord with both points. Only hampered by the fact that she was also juggling a day of babysitting Vera Noble, who was currently running circles around the apartment to get Amani’s attention for longer than a few seconds. But her eyes were stuck on the screen.

Everything that she and Alicio (Alicio especially) had been working towards, was now put on the spot by some corporatist come whistleblowing about Denon’s woes, seemingly unprompted. On paper his proposals sounded rightful enough, but she didn’t for a single moment trust that this was anything more than a ploy for something self-beneficial. If change came on their terms, was there any certainty that it would stay that way? Call her cynical, but Amani had her sincerest doubts.

They needed more time. More preparation. It was a delicate issue, and this felt like charging into it headfirst. She could only hope this wouldn’t inadvertently make their efforts meaningless in the long run.

“...Shit.”

“Shit!” Vera echoed back.

“Nope! No no, don’t repeat that!”

It felt wrong, agreeing with so many Corporatists.

It was enough to make him second-guess his convictions. Why were they all seemingly open to government oversight of corporations. The fact that they weren't fighting it, but openly supporting an investigation, made him wonder why. There had to be an angle, something he wasn't seeing. Did they think it would inevitably fail?

It was that expression, of cold examination, that Iris Arani Iris Arani found him. He turned around slowly, giving the Jedi Knight a tired smile, before taking the datachip. "Thank you, Iris," he said, his voice low as he regarded the data in his hand. The fate of an entire planet was resting in his palm. It was distressingly light. "This will help," he affirmed. Maybe not today, but it would help soon.

He returned his attention to the proceedings, his mouth twisting in understanding at Senators Dominique Vexx Dominique Vexx and Xasha Callisto Xasha Callisto . He had briefly considered sending his information out to every senator, to force the investigation to continue, but it looked as if that would be unnecessary.

He addressed the senate again.

"I would be honored to join Senator Callisto on this theoretical committee," he added, making his voice known once more to the wider galaxy. "To bring a unique perspective on the matter, as I was a city-planner before I was a senator. I'd like to think I became rather good at judging infrastructure." Perhaps he wasn't as unbiased as he let on, but that would hopefully be counterbalanced by whatever corporatist stepped forward as well.

And he could ensure what he had would be seen by the right people.

Last edited:
phelia3.png
CORUSCANT | SENATE HALL
LATE AFTERNOON | SUNNY
TAGS: Xasha Callisto Xasha Callisto | Alicio Organa Alicio Organa | Aiko Hayata Aiko Hayata | Dominique Vexx Dominique Vexx | Damian Du Couteau Damian Du Couteau | Auteme Auteme | Dracken Pryce Dracken Pryce | Caulder Dune Caulder Dune

WzFBvVI.png

Braxton’s gaze shifted from one Senator to another as they voiced their thoughts and concerns with the situation. He looked to Caulder Dune as he spoke up with a voice that was dreadfully condescending. A smirk curled along Braxton’s lips as he listened to the man. Dominique and, surprisingly, Aiko spoke up as well on the topic.

”Unfortunately, my own sources for evidence are somewhat preoccupied at present, otherwise I could have given you quite the spectacle, Senator Dune.” He spoke up as he turned towards the man’s booth. ”However, my informants are far from the only sources of hard evidence. I’m sure the Holonet team can set up contact information for hard evidence if anyone wishes to speak up at present. But I’m sure we can both agree that Senator Vexx has a point. It will simply serve to confirm what we already know to be the case.” He turned to face the rest of the senate again, immediately focusing on Xasha as she spoke.

"Senator Vexx is correct that the senate chamber is the wrong time and place to be reviewing the evidence, it should be submitted at the soonest opportunity to the committee, there is enough information already publicly known to allow us to pass forward with a formal investigation. I will happily add my own name to the list to take this responsibility, I have no corporate interests or relations on the planet that would effect my impartiality."

"I would be honored to join Senator Callisto on this theoretical committee,"

"To bring a unique perspective on the matter, as I was a city-planner before I was a senator. I'd like to think I became rather good at judging infrastructure."
Braxton blinked as the Alderaanian joined in with Xasha’s proposition without hesitation. Given how things were playing out, her alternative was a sound idea. It would take longer, but the end goals could still be achieved.

”I think it goes without saying that I’ll offer my own services to aid in this committee’s endeavour as well alongside Senators Organa and Callisto.” He spoke with a bright voice. He let his statement linger for a moment as he took a sip of water and cleared his throat.

”If no one else has any grievances, I think it’s time we put it to a vote. All who are in favour of seeing this committee become reality and a proper investigation launched in regards to the DireX’s actions, now is your time to speak up.” He declared, making sure to look at each and every Senator.

GADividerBlue.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom