Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Do It For Her

"Thank you for noticing," the Count returned, the corner of his mouth tweaking up. He had been getting better. He'd been serious about getting stronger. His body was in the best shape of his life, and he'd never felt so connected to the Force.

And while he still had plenty to learn about both things, he was well on his way to doing just that.

So as Iris called for them to continue, Alicio felt confident enough to try to start up a conversation. He came in with a wider style, testing out the circular motions of Form III once more, trying out the defensive rhythm once more.

"How did you... enjoy the gala...?" He offered the conversation, if she wanted it.

They'd both had... less than ideal times.

- Iris Arani Iris Arani -

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

Iris kept calm, controlled motions as they started their third bout. Simple, easy. More just testing his defenses and her own offensive. It was easier, for them both. Though the moment he asked his question her whole demeanor changed. A swell of emotion sent a small wave of air through the room, shaking the various weapons on the stands around them. Almost immediately Iris stepped back, closed her eyes. Took a breath.

".. I don't want to talk about that."

Alicio Organa Alicio Organa

The sudden taste of burnt flowers assaulted his tongue as the room shifted, and Iris fought to keep calm. Alicio's eyes widened a hair, as he observed the scene, studying Iris with diligence.

He had no idea the question would get that much of a reaction from her. He frowned, disengaging his lightsaber for a moment. "I'm... sorry I asked. We don't have to."

Something had happened. Something Alicio didn't know the full story on. But he knew enough of the story to venture a guess. So, to fill the sudden space, he wouldn't ask Iris to share any more. Instead, he would share.

"Um... Before I forget, I wanted to thank you for something else," the Count said, deliberately abandoning the topic completely. "Your training saved people's lives on Empress Teta, and maybe mine, too. I was facing... someone from my past... with Amani, and I tripped them with my heel, like what you did to me on Alderaan. It ended the fight. If I hadn't, they might have escaped, to harm people." Ishani's death was difficult for Alicio to talk about. But he truly wanted to thank Iris for her part in keeping him safe.

"So... Thank you. I might not be standing here today, if it weren't for you."

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

Iris's frown deepened, but she nodded as she turned off her own sabers. It seemed the duel was done, in part of her own flash of emotion, probably. She listened in silence, still trying to control her mind. Her feelings. ".. I'm glad you survived. That as many people did as they did. Teta was.. It wasn't good." None of these wars were good. But they needed to be fought, if only for people to survive.

"You're welcome. .. I guess."

"No. It was not." Alicio had done good, managed to save families escaping the fighting, but at the cost of killing a former friend. It was only because of Amani that he hadn't fallen apart at the seams. She'd helped him pick up the pieces.

It was evident that Iris was falling apart, too. But Alicio wasn't as good at putting people back together as his girlfriend was.

"Do you want to be done for today? We don't have to keep training." The Count kept studying Iris, projecting understanding. "Or, we can take a break. See if we can finish off that cinnamon bread."

It was obvious Alicio wanted to help Iris. Wanted to talk with her about what was going on. But he fought against his instincts telling him to press, instead offering her an out.

"I had good ingredients," Alicio stated, unable to accept so much praise for his baking in one day, but happily retiring to the side of the room, replacing his lightsaber inside of his cane. To prove his point, Alicio produced his datapad, and pulled up a picture, offering it to Iris. "This was my first stab at it, a few days ago."

The image showed a lump of what could only be described as a loaf of charcoal. "I... got distracted working. My smoke alarm went off. It was... embarrassing."

"Have as much as you like. It's yours, so whatever's left, you can take with you, too."

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

Iris was midbite when she snorted into a laugh. He burned the first batch of bread? She couldn't help but laugh. Perhaps it was just because she knew how to cook with Valery's teachings, but wasn't burning bread actually hard to do? The life of a senator was certainly in a league of it's own. She laughed for a little while, just taking bites in between giggles before finally holding up what remained of the loaf with a grin.

"At least you got it right the second time."

Perhaps it was just because she knew how to cook with Valery's teachings, but wasn't burning bread actually hard to do?

Yes. Yes it was. He'd left it in the oven for hours.

Alicio wasn't sure whether to feel proud or offended as Iris intermittedly laughed at his expense while devouring his cinnamon bread. He settled for a halfway irked and smug expression. "I guess second time's the charm," he returned, smiling genuinely.

Even if it was at his expense, he'd gotten Iris to laugh. That was a win, in his book.

"So, you've picked up... two-lightsaber-fighting," the Count said, not knowing quite the right term for it. "You've eaten delicious bread. What else is interesting in your life these days?"

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

What else was interesting? Her mind threatened almost immediately to go back to the dour state she'd been in. Most of the new things were all.. Wrong. Bad. Other terrible words to describe how wrong it all was. Then, oh. She brightened just a bit before raising her wrist to turn on the small holodevice there. It was a pretty quick scroll through the pages she had open. Most were articles on art. Graffiti.

On Denon.

She paused once she reached the article she was looking for.

"I'm wanted on Denon."

Alicio sensed he almost lost her to the dried-flower taste again, before something else apparently came to mind.

The Count took the datapad if it was offered, scrolling through the bounty posting with a confusing miasma of emotions. The other (admittedly catchy) names, he couldn't hope to place. But 'Tagger' screamed Iris. She'd been painting on the first day they'd met, after all.

Alicio looked up, unsure of how he was supposed to react. He could tell the posting wasn't through legal channels. If it were an Alliance bounty, he'd be a bit more concerned. "So... should I be saying 'congratulations' or 'I'm sorry'?"

His endless curiosity beat out his confusion. "What did you even do?"

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

"Oh, uh." Iris blinked, glancing to the datapad in Alicio's hands. Then back to him.

"I guess I was kinda a vigilante for a bit. Until Valery found me and reminded me I'm a Jedi. .. It's hard, though. There's so many people suffering under a system made to exploit them. Legally, at that. Where being a Jedi will only get people in trouble. .. I don't like politics, I think."

"On my first trip to Coruscant, Queen Faith, my cousin, brought me along to a senate meeting about Denon." Alicio frowned as he dredged up those memories. That day had opened his eyes to the games behind the senate. That some people reached for his current position to gain power, influence, credits, instead of helping people.

"How the corporate forces violently quelled a peaceful protest." The Count's frown only deepened. "Now-Chancellor, then-Senator Denko-Durren was actually the one to bring forward a bill to condemn the government of Denon. That bill passed, under a corporate chancellor, although I don't know what lasting good came from it."

"Maybe with Auteme in charge, things can change for the better."

"In your opinion, how do you think the Alliance could best help Denon?"
He tilted his head sideways, a sudden interest lighting his grey eyes.

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

Iris couldn't hide her face scrunching up at the mention of bills and legislation. She understood the importance of them, what it meant for people to have a voice and to help establish the rules that would protect them and their interests. But after everything she'd seen on Denon, it didn't really sit well. The laws in place were enabling people to get hurt. Enabling people to take advantage.

"I honestly don't know. The slums are full of spice, and Corpo's are turning a blind eye. The local law enforcement is understaffed and underfunded, but just giving them more won't solve anything but putting people behind bars and making the spice dealers get more creative in how they distribute. As a Jedi I just want to go in and help people, regardless of law, but that's not right either. I.. think places like Denon are too complicated to just have an answer to solve them completely. I guess what I want the most is for the people who live there to feel safe. I mean, that's what we're fighting the Maw for, so people can be safe."

Alicio caught Iris' sour expression when he began to talk the particulars of the Senate. He might have gotten a bit carried away, forgetting that not everyone was as enthralled by governance as he was.

"Most things in politics are complicated. Just because something has a lot of moving parts doesn't mean we should ignore it." Alicio wasn't the kind to balk at a challenge, his grey eyes taking on a flint-sharp edge. "Perfect is impossible. But we should always strive to do better. I think you know that, as well as I do."

"It sounds to me like most of the issues you mentioned could be solved if the Denonians had leadership that cared about them, in place of self-interested corporations."
Alicio frowned in thought. "Which... yes... is difficult to change." He thought about elaborating on the hornet's nest that was corporate sovereignty in the Alliance, before deciding to spare Iris the headache.

"Maybe I could... talk to other senators. See if there's something we can do to help."

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

"It needs to be handled. It's not just something you could do." Iris let out a sigh as she leaned back on her hands. Now that the bread was done now, any way. ".. But it would help. A lot. Master Noble is going to show me how I can make a change as a Jedi, but we can't do everything. We can only help. Give them the tools needed to make a stand and help stabilize that very ground."

Actually. She blinked as she sat up more, watching him. At him, rather than the colors around him like normal.

"That's right. Right! You're a senator! Together, we could actually figure something out! I'm no good at laws, but I've been there. I've seen everything that happens. I could even ask- I could ask a friend or two for their opinions too. I could even introduce you, um. To another of the vigilantes? They could tell you better what we might need." Right. Don't mention Corin Trenor Corin Trenor by name. Even to Alicio. "I know there's a lot going on, but to throw patches and ignore the suffering of one world because of the wars going on.. No one should feel like they don't matter."

"A place like Denon could certainly use more of the Order around. The downtrodden need hope most of all. And who better to embody hope than the Jedi?"

"That's right. Right! You're a senator!"

It was Alicio's turn to blink mutely at Iris.

"Of course, I'll meet with this mystery person. This is why I went into politics in the first place," Alicio said, brushing off the moment, and combing his fingers through his hair. "To help the people that fall through the cracks. Because everyone matters."

The Count went into deep thinking mode, staring past the padded training room floor, as if he were trying to glimpse the universe beyond. "Okay. So, for there to be any hope of change, we need to gather evidence of corporate neglect. Statistics, testimonials, photos." He began speaking faster, and with more fire. "If we bring enough dirty laundry before the Senate, they would have no choice but to take it seriously."

"I could get a vote on the floor."
He smiled. "Even if it fails, we'd be shining a light on the corporatocracy, for all the Alliance to see."

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

"That is something I can get, for sure. .. Through legal means, this time around." Iris nodded her head once. This was a plan. A good plan. Something that'll let her actually help Corin in the others. Yeah. The Padawan let out a breath as she finally let herself just.. Calm down. Having a direction was something she really needed with all this, especially after Valery just took her away.

She just needed to handle her other issues first.

"Photos and testimonials, anyway. That I can do. But statistics? I'm not sure uh.. How?"

Corin Trenor Corin Trenor

"That is something I can get, for sure. .. Through legal means, this time around."

The muted blinking continued, as Iris admitted to breaking Alliance laws in front of an Alliance official. "Good," he finally decided to say. "Because if I were to bring anything illegal before the Senate, I might lose more than just the bill."

"Any mistake, any slip-up, and the corporatists will use it to wriggle away. That's how they've stayed in power for so long. And even if everything goes right..."
The Count forcibly stopped himself, apparently shaking off whatever thought had entered his head. "Never mind. Not important."

At Iris' question, Alicio just smiled knowingly. He was a bit of a number cruncher, back when he worked for Sanctuary. "Surveys, mostly. Which, if we're trying to be subtle, we shouldn't use, anyways."

Alicio grew still. "Undermining any megacorporation is... dangerous. Really dangerous. If we're going to do this, you have to promise me that you'll be safe."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom