Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction Our Soles laid Bare (Darkwire)

There's more than one way to be enslaved
Anakin stood outside Sakedo tower. Behind him was a crowd of thousands. Amavikkan and Shadowrunners alike, citizen soldiers fighting a war for a freedom they've only ever heard of.

He stepped forward and the automatic doors opened with a hiss. It felt too easy. Dread settled into his gut as he made his way through the mall. This was it, the maw of the beast. He couldn't turn back now.

Three weeks ago he'd begun preparing for this. Two weeks ago he'd sent out messages towards fellow dissenters and Discreets. Discreets, it was just like those Corpo depuran to file down their existence to something so clinical. They weren't important, and so they were considered Discreet. They wouldn't be discreet tonight. Not if he had any say in it.

Tonight was the time to be seen. The sound of a thousand dirty feet drowned out the nondescript music. Shoppers and seccers alike watched as this unlikely crowd flooded the mall's many floors.

Going barefoot had been Nim's idea. So many couldn't even afford shoes, and without shoes they were unable to step foot into many of the stores and restaurants that dotted the planet. It was a violation of the mall's rules. It was a representation of who they were and who they fought for.

Slowly the sound died off as they began to sit. One after another, each member settled themselves on the ground. Their bodies blocked the doors as pathways. Their bare feet tracked dirt across the once pristine tiles. Anakin kept walking, the click of his bare talons and forearm crutches beating an uneven pattern. He led a group past shopping centers and already sitting protestors right towards the in-store sec station.

For months now he had tried in vain to be heard. He called out against the increase of seccer presence. He called out against the illegal arrests and imprisonments. He had gone ignored. No more. They would hit them where it hurt, the only place it mattered. By blocking the stores they stopped the flow of money. This would get their attention.

Behind him, people set up signs protesting the increased swarm of seccer presence . Others flicked on portable holofeeds, which flashed through the faces of the four victims that started the riots all those months ago.
Anakin recognized them. He remembered screaming their names im a cloud of burning gas and angry faces. Words flashed along the screen, "Stop the violence, stop the Seccers".

Their message was clear, now all he had to hope was that their efforts weren't in vain.

Three days ago

Voices surged through the backroom recording studio, only to be cut off in sudden silence as the cameras began to roll. Anakin stood before the camera, the cluttered background of boxes and old machinery casting odd shadows at his back.

"My fellow dissenters and Discreets, it's almost time. As the day approaches, it's important for me to remind you that this is a peaceful rally. Don't misunderstand, there will be violence. There's a good chance you will be beaten, you may even get arrested. Even so, it's important that we don't retaliate. Luminous Sun will use anything to twist our cause. We cannot give her violence to pin on our heads." Anakin sighed and ruffled his remaining feathers. "I know it's scary, but if we fight back, things can end up so much worse. The very thing we rally against, the increase of Seccer presence and the unwarranted searches and arrests that have increased since will only rise. We have to stay peaceful, we must if we want to make positive change."

OOC Note:
As you can tell, this thread is a peaceful protest. That said, feel free to fight back when CorpSec and their supporters start attacking and arresting people.

Daiya Daiya Xan Deesa Xan Deesa Doc Painless Doc Painless Brie Jaxx Brie Jaxx Bryn Celli Ddu Bryn Celli Ddu Cartri Keswoll Cartri Keswoll Cassus Akovin Cassus Akovin Cyran Vaas Cyran Vaas Doc Painless Doc Painless Lynch Lynch Phalsi Drynchen Phalsi Drynchen

M1doOGN.jpg

Callista was relaxing in the tub and watching a shock boxing match when the comm unit in her jacket went off.

It was just within reach of the bath, so she wedged her cigarette between her lips and reached for it. Ash tumbled into the bathwater and she mumbled a curse against the butt.

She stubbed it out - which she should have done in the first place - and picked up the comm without looking to see who it was.

"Volpe."

"Are you watching the news?" it was Garris, her boss.

"I never watch the fething news." It wasn't a lie; the news was always depressing. "Why?"

"Turn on the news. It's quicker than me wasting my breath."

She nearly dropped he comm in the back and switched over.

"It's a protest around Sakedo Tower. Why do I care? This isn't an insurance matter," Callista replied.

"Except Argus Insurance covers them for staff liability. So if their security get hurt by protestors, we cover it. Also Argus Security support the district."

"I do recovery," Callista replied firmly. Her job was being close enough to the underworld to investigate and recover stolen goods.

"You do whatever he feth I say you do. Get down here."

Callista hung up and reluctantly got out of the bath. She dressed quickly and called Kaydee over from his charging point. She would need the droid on her shoulder looking for trouble.

As she was stepping out the door she had a sense she had forgotten something.

"Damnit," she hissed as she remembered. She leaned back into the apartment.

"Hey, er, you," she called out.

A twi'lek looked up from her bed. He barely seemed awake. Callista decided she didn't have the time for this.

"I've got work to do. Get out. And don't eat my food."

Xan's discomfort was quite clear about the whole thing. This was the first time ever that she walked barefoot anywhere on Denon, aside from her apartments. That train of thought alone was a roller coaster ride, to think that she had three apartments on Denon over the years. It was a jarring moment, to realize how long she was in this fight.

She was right beside Anakin, bare feet and all, as they marched into Sakedo Tower and took their seats all over the place. Every few moments she would glance over to him, partially because they were pretty much a thing... but mostly because having him fall over would be a bit of an embarrassment. Then again... having him trip could make for some good P.R. to be like "See what you lot are doing to the poor people of Denon?!" But that would just be low, even for her.

Still tempting, though.

"You know what's funny about all this?" She spoke up next to Anakin, giving him a smug grin. "I actually hit this place with a merc I met, couple months back when I didn't have a body... and it was pretty much for the same reason we're here now." She snickered to herself as she glanced around at the protestors and shocked onlookers. Her mask was removed and lights were off, helping to keep a low profile... in a sea of convicted criminals, escapees and dregs of society, in the eyes of CorpSec. This entire protest went against her training and instincts. A constant feeling in the back of her head told her to watch out and get out of there. Find a more strategic position, secure contingencies, mark exit points if things went south. In her years as a spy, she was always careful to have backups on backups.

But this wasn't spy work.

It was an outcry for the Corpos of Denon to take notice.

And a healthy reminder that not everything could be solved with the detonation of a bomb or a blaster. As much as she hated to admit it, sometimes it doesn't have to end in bloodshed.

A hand rested on Anakin's shoulder as she looked at him with her dark eyes. "Here's to hoping things go smoothly." She muttered as they walked. She really hoped things went smoothly. For once, she didn't want to go for throats.

Anakin Stormrunner Anakin Stormrunner Callista Volpe Callista Volpe @coming soon

Gluk, Stock, and Two Smoking Lasers
A barefoot sit-in presented no problem for Jerec, in theory. Ithorians had much larger and less, uh, dainty feet than humanoids. He owned boots but going barefoot was a normal thing. And he'd been to more than his share of protests against both CorpSec brutality and Jedi overreach.

No, the problem was the gorram Force. It kept grumbling that something Bad was going to happen. Last time he felt this way was right before the corpos cracked down on, hey, a peaceful protest. What were the odds?

So he'd done something really stupid and brought a weapon. Not his laser sword, not the skullthumper he'd bartered for a spaceship, not even a blaster. No, he'd gone for concealable and low-visibility even during use, the kind of thing that wouldn't start a fight but could certainly...well, you get the idea. It was a little chemical stun gun with a monomolecular injector, a kidnap operator's tool capable of punching through CorpSec armor silently. It only had half a dozen doses, but in an emergency it might make a genuine difference.

For the moment, he just kept it hidden and took a seat with the other protesters. Long fingers drummed nervously on the floor.

Anakin Stormrunner Anakin Stormrunner Xan Deesa Xan Deesa et al

"A peaceful protest?" Hacks whined aloud. Lately it seemed it was all she was doing. "CorpSec won't care," she muttered to Puke, a punk that didn't associate with Darkwire but hung with Hacks at local bars. "Only one way to send a message," he agreed. They didn't need to say what that method was. They both knew it well. History knew it well. They watched from across the street as the horde of protestors sat and blocked the mall. The streets were growing unsettled, some shoppers were furious they couldn't go in, others recorded on devices and watched. Hacks looked to her feet, crumbled can underfoot and floating plastic bags danced by in the smog-wind. "I'm going to make a call," she said with a hint of frustration, "You might want to get going dude," she gave Puke a glance, a brief hug and the punk turned his back to her and left.

Far above the disease-infested streets of the lowest levels, where the ghettos were tinted green in thick pollution, rose the cloud cutters. Shining bright in the clear blue sky. The air was fresh up there. It didn't smell. The rain didn't burn with acid-poisoning. It was a different world than down here. Hacks trained her eyes on the tallest in her view. It was a dizzying height that was hard to truly comprehend. Her earpiece began to ring, waiting for the man on the other end to answer. Then she heard his voice, but not through the ear piece. "Trying to call?" a smooth, relaxed man spoke. He was stepping out of a sports-class speeder, glossy black with electrum details. The use of electrum was an extreme statement of status, a rare material only the ultra-elite could afford.

Tarran Stoyer was in his mid-thirties, pressed black suit and tie. Exuding an air of authority and respect. He was the embodiment of everything the Corpos represented. A small squad of CorpSec officers flanked him, lenses scanning. These weren't the usual brutes, they were droids. Faster reflexes, more precise in their accuracy. Incredibly lethal to face. Not many Shadowrunners came across these ones and survived. Hacks knew that well. "I thought you were dead, I tried contacting you for months. I even sent my boys here to inquire about your whereabouts," Stoyer said with raised brows, expecting, no, demanding an answer. "I thought I was dead too," she half-joked. For a good moment she truly believed she was going to die when she saw that bounty hunter in her apartment. Funny how quickly fate can change.

The Corpo paused for a moment, when no further explanation came from Hacks he clasped his hands together, "Very well." Hacks looked him up and down. The man was an old contact when she was running jobs for competing directors in the Corporate Authorities. It made good pay and regular work when the directors couldn't help but constantly stab one another in the back. "Whats your take?" she said and tilted her head toward the protest. Stoyer followed her gaze and gave an almost imperceptible shrug, "They won't last long, and when they leave, we'll work with the business sector to announce a sudden sale. The increased traffic will make up for profits loss in.." he paused, calculations running through his optical lens, "Two-point-three hours."

Now it was Hacks' turn to raise her brows, mostly in disbelief. "We'll see," she countered, having slightly more faith in the protestors than Stoyer, but not enough to think they'll put any real dent in the Corpo profits. "You may be right, if it remains peaceful," she offered him, "Real change requires a stronger hand." The sound of mechanical arms sharply re-adjusting alerted her that the CorpSec officers had turned their blasters onto her, "Ho- well, you always liked violence," Stoyer said slowly, quietly, "But don't try anything reckless." Hacks cocked a half-smile and shrugged, "I'm not stupid, you know that." The officers relaxed their aim, but remained alert to her words and every minute detail of movement she made. Her cognitive implants sent neuron signals that alerted her CorpSec was probing her techs firewalls. She had to tread very carefully if this was going to work.

The clicking of stilettos heralded her arrival.

Her confident strides took her through the rows of cubicles until she arrived at the corporate office that bore her name: Gemma Hentz. It was quite a deal larger than her old office. And the view was better, much better. However, today the view was... tedious. From the top floors of the Sakedo Tower Corporate Offices, the sea of protesters was visible. Though, from so high up, they looked like little insects.

Pathetic.

She doubted this peaceful protest would last. Deep down, she knew that Darkwire was chaos -- they only knew violence. That little blonde should have killed me while she had the chance, Gemma thought. Her lips curled into a sneer. One of Qanatain Xopsaloff's last business decisions was to name her president of MynterCo; a wise move, considering he'd died shortly after. With the Muun DireX out of the picture, Gemma had stepped up to take his place running the First Bank of Denon as well. His assets were hers now. Well, mostly...

The remaining members of the DireX still treated her like a personal assistant.

Unlike Xopsaloff, Gemma knew the value of a sweet smile. But just like her predecessor, she did know the benefit of sliding credits into the right hands.

Code Of Silence
Factory Judge
The air was electrified with countless voices, crying for justice. The steady drum of feet on pavement sent a shiver up her spine, evoking memories of her younger years; the crush of bodies, chanting and demanding to be heard, reminded her of similar events on Coruscant and a half-dozen other worlds. "Peaceful" was subjective, of course - it was rarely the people who pushed to the point of violence, but the line between "Victim" and "Oppressor" blurred so easily in such chaotic moments. In her past, Ivory had been a major player in organizing such protests, often inciting people to action against The Empire or the First Order, as well as countless Governments, Corpo-regimes, and Despotic actors.

First, give the people an enemy. Then, give them the strength to raise their voice. Finally, point them in a direction... and voila. The Herd Mentality at work.

Ivory allowed herself a grin as she slipped, unseen, through the crowd. She avoided the loudest and the largest gatherings, as they would likely be the first to receive punishment when the gas began to flow and the protest became dangerous. Anonymity was your friend, and she was a master Chameleon. The disorganized nature of her fellows gave them the freedom to operate as they saw fit; she was simply there, for the moment, to bear witness to the unfolding events. Long ago, she would have been the first to light a molotov or stand proudly over a captured tank, but she'd grown wise and cautious.

slQCnMc.png

(Post Soundtrack: "Nothing Ever Changes" by Nico Collins)

Little things flattened underfoot. A plasticene eating utensil, a flimsi shopping bag, a moistened piece of soft candy. All discarded, strewn to the ground as trash, and then stepped upon by the teen as she entered The 301 with the rest of the crowd.

Daiya tried not to let her disgust show, she had made it clear enough already. The colorful young shadowrunner was rarely seen without her boots on, sparkly with inbuilt heelies that let her coast over surfaces like the duracrete mall floor. Today she trod on bare feet, following the barefooted masses of dissenters who had joined Anakin's movement.

He sure had taken his Bird Man fame in stride.

It was enough to quell her worries over, "But Sakedo Mall is supposed to be a fun place to go," and "CorpSec will find any excuse to arrest protesters." The girl had more, but bit her tongue. She could ask a thousand questions of the Harpy man and still not trip him up. Daiya admired Anakin's conviction, though sometimes she thought he'd lost more than just a wing during his stint in prison.

No shoes was one thing, but no weapons was just asking for pain. Even if streetwise teen wasn't dumb enough to bring a blaster, at least, she would rather walk around naked than not keep something on hand. A souvenir from her time aiding the Agents of Chaos, the pink-bladed knife tapped against her hips whenever she moved in a particular way, reminding Daiya of where she'd taped it to her side.

Her feet gaining dirt and unspeakable muck as the teen followed the crowd parting towards her favorite section of the mall. Daiya had come without her datapad, nor her ident card, on the advice of the organizers. Less to lose if things went pear-shaped. Being factory default, she only had her looks and DNA to identify her now. Not that it would stop anyone she knew from recognizing her.

"I'm going to need you people to move away from the door." The woman was at the entrance almost as soon as the teen had taken a seat in front of her favorite store. Daiya figured if she couldn't patronize Heartbeat House today, at least she could bide her time gazing at its wares from without. "We can't have customers tripping over you. C'mon, go protest somewhere else, or I'll...oh, Daiya, don't tell me you're with them today."

Daiya just shrugged haplessly at the shopkeeper, spreading her legs out in front of her. She couldn't change what was happening today. As soon as the woman vanished back into the store, probably to get on the holo to her corporate bosses, the teen's worries rose up again with a newly-grown knot in her throat. "I feel bad for her, she's not the problem. Not really."

Her fellow protesters mostly shrugged. Only one made a pointed statement to her, one that left Daiya still unsettled. "Corpo greed is a disease. If she's not with us, she's infected."

The teen drew her lips into a thin line, looking away. Her fingers played with something on her cuffed pants, doing whatever they could to distract her from thinking about what cause she was here for today.

Still, whenever a customer tried to make their way between their interlocked bodies and feet, Daiya was the loudest one shouting, "Corpo greed is a disease!"

Daiya refused be infected, even if she had to cut out her own heart.

The worst part was the lack of shoes.

And the systemic greed that literally clogged Denon from skylane to sewer, of course. Peace was an ideal that she couldn't trust, not in these circumstances. But she'd relented for now, even if the illegally modified stun baton tucked inside of her belt was callin' her name. Maybe getting beaten by CorpSec in the street would send a message.

Maybe that's why the more technologically inclined Shadowrunners would be forcing the livestream onto every network and platform that they could. Not just the darknet—major news networks and holonet sites, even if only for a short while. Spread it as far as it could go, 'cause even if no one else cared, they would talk.

It felt weird as hell seeing the Heartbeat House chain with a mob of peaceful, yet purposeful protesters seated directly in front of the entrance. Did Corpo greed really raise her? Her mother had come from poverty and built her place in the retail domain, one that supported her family and had given Yula and her siblings opportunity. Was there a darker side to that world, one she'd never seen? Had the Perl's success meant taking away from others?

As soon as she could, she'd scrub her feet raw.

Daiya Daiya Anakin Stormrunner Anakin Stormrunner Xan Deesa Xan Deesa Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr Hacks Hacks Gemma Hentz Gemma Hentz Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud

No, no, no... not the mall.

Don't make me go to the mall.

At least she didn't have to actually go shopping. Still, being this close to the heart of the beast made Ruby twitch. The Shadowrunner had received the call, just like the rest of them. She was here to show her support for the cause. Darkwire was united -- tied together quite tightly. Literally, too, Ruby could see that as her fellows linked arms all around her.

Shoulders bumped her.

Would this make any difference? Any at all? Ruby wasn't sure -- as per usual. In the blur of people, she thought she caught sight of Daiya Daiya . But the crowd shifted and Ruby lost her. Instead of letting herself be jostled about, Ruby decided to plant her feet. One way or another, today was going down in the history books.

Previously...

"Oh boy..." he shook his head, then tore the punching bag off the hook with a high kick, "...now??"

"Now, Sir."

"Damn it, Arthur... I've got an hour left before the first class..." the Jedi wearily murmured. For long now he'd been planning on running an acrobatics (and, lowkey, self-defence) class for kids. Right here in the Slums - an abandoned dojo, condemned by the district till he had to pull some Alliance favors to keep it up as long as he rebuilt it. Community service, right? He'd seen Zaka's work on Ponemah. Helping refugees from Maw-torn worlds rebuild. Start life anew. Maybe Aeris was getting through to him.

Months of work on turning the place around and now he had to postpone.

"May I suggest calling Master Kyric or Miss Jem instead?"

Dag rubbed his hair with a towel, then tossed it aside, "No, I'll deal with this. It's big. How in the world were you not able to dig this news out earlier?"

"The district has purchased a new upgrade to their firewall which I am still yet at an impasse with."

"At an impasse, huh? I oughtta call Xan in next time. How big are we talking here, Arthur?"

"I see traffic flowing in from all sides of the City, Master Kaze. Approximate number may vary greatly but any forecast points at a large rally."

"... of all days..." he shook his head as he began putting on his attire. His old, long-forgotten New Jedi jumpsuit from the war against the Sith Empire with a black leather jacket on top, sleeves rolled twice. A black domino mask finished the look, concealing his identity. Circus tricks were better than standing trial at a Senatorial Committee, that's for sure. They were masks now.

"Save it, Arthur." he could only anticipate his faithful A.I's amusement at the look.

"Yes, Sir, or shall I say Night." masks and monikers.

"Smartass again, huh? I'm cutting all communication between you and Yula until further notice."

He adjusted the mask and muttered, "...rather this than a temple lock up for the Sith to raze again."

The memory made him sick.
kwzlsmL.png
What made him almost sicker was the stench of feet burning through his nostrils like phosphor. Even all the way up here on the rooftops.

"Let me guess - firewall couldn't let you in on this minor detail."

"Indeed, Sir. After the S.Corp.Res.1411 program was introduced by CorpSec, the districts were funded well enough to hire far better--"

"Okay, okay, I got the message."

The Jedi Watchman of Denon watched over the gathering, barefooted masses beneath the city's neon lights. His mind conceived plans, scenarios, contingencies but his heart wondered whether Yula was somewhere down there. He hoped she wasn't but she really liked dunking on his hope. The shockboxing match, the Agricorps bust, and so on and so on. That list was endless.

"Darkwire's got a hand in this? Why am I even asking? I see lots of goons on both sides but... is that...? Great... Argus. If corpo muscle's your standard bad, insurance thugs are the Sith Lord bad branch of 'em."

"Sounds personal, Sir."

"I was signing papers for a full day for the dojo, Arthur."

"Certainly personal, Sir."

"Just. Don't. Tell. Yula. Last thing I need is her learning I'm paying anyone that wears a suit and tie."

"Certainly, Sir - I have been programmed with your safety as my top priority."

"...don't say that again."

Daiya Daiya Anakin Stormrunner Anakin Stormrunner Xan Deesa Xan Deesa Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr Hacks Hacks Gemma Hentz Gemma Hentz Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud Yula Perl Yula Perl Ruby Jaxx Ruby Jaxx

Pho the Love of Noods,
A side alleyway along the route.
{not directly interacting with anyone yet.. !}

Denon was a world alive like few others. The world seemed to buzz with more than just the electric hum generated by the perpetual neon twilight. A singular energy that separated it from the other ecumenopolises such as Coruscant or Empress Teta. An energy that not even the corporate interests and capos of industry, had managed to completely dampen or siphon away, try as they often might. Of course, it didn't hurt that the world was also ideal for someone looking to lay low for a spell, away from the accusing eyes and incriminating fingers of certain individuals further afield. Nor did it hurt that it was also home to one of the best noodle stalls this side of the core.

Throw in front row seats to a riot and, well, who could put a price on entertainment like that?

Hopefully the Corporations.

"Lookin' mighty rowdy outta there." A voice rumbled from behind Lethe, dragging her gaze away from the disorganised and dishevelled procession currently traipsing past the little street stall that was hunkered in a side alleyway. A cigarette lazily dangingly from the corner of her mouth, half forgotten in the distraction playing out before her provided.

The voice belonged to an aging Nosaurian in his late fifties, early sixties. Bustling behind the counter, pairing steaming noodles with broth laden bowls with a practiced hand. No spillage, no wastage, the picture of efficiency and perfection. Someone that took an immeasurable sense of pride in his craft. A trait no more readily apparent than in the starched and ironed perfection of his chef whites, their immaculate white only ruined by the red stitching of a singular word just below the collar. Buffer. She wasn't sure if that was his name or the brand of his apron, but she liked to think it was the former. Like people watching, it allowed her to feel some measure of artificial connection without actually making an effort to form one.

"Smart person," the supposed 'Buffer' continued, "'ey might call it early an' scuttle fer home, eh?"

"I've been accused of many things, some of them even true, but smart…" Scar creased lips affected a smirk that was mirrored with a raise of the brow. The cigarette fizzling a protest as it was stubbed out, being ruthlessly replaced by a set of cheap disposable chopsticks. "That your way of telling me you're calling it early?"

"An' be riskin' my patch ter som' Johnny com' lately, sec'nd-rate dumplin' cart? Not on yer life, missy." The Nosaurian scratched his chin with those wickedly pointed claws, watching the crowd speculatively as they continued to trail past. "'sides, way I be seein', shoes o' no, foot traffic is foot traffic, yah? I gotta lotta noodles, 'ey gotta lotta hungry mouths."

"Match made in heaven." Lethe murmured in agreement, though doubted any of the poor, unwashed masses marching behind her in lock step would spare the stall second glance, let alone a credit. Not tonight, anyway. In an hour, maybe less given the volatile nature of such gatherings, she'd wager they'd be too preoccupied dodging corporate dogs than to contemplate slurping noodles. Even ones as good as these.

That was the hope, anyway.

Even on the wrong side of righteous, the Corps line of credit was always beyond reproach.

And these noodles didn't pay for themselves.

Last edited:
Code Of Silence
Factory Judge
Objectives: Reconnaissance
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The hum of the protest thrummed in her periphery as Ivory rolled beneath a torn length of fencing, dropping a short distance to the pavement before. She landed, cat-footed, with nary a sound and crouched. A pause... and a few heartbeats later, she stood once she was certain she was alone. The shadows were silent in the alleyway which stretched for some distance before branching off into two distinct paths: on her right, the well-lit outer walls of Sakedo Tower, and on her right, the white-washed facades of storage buildings, garages, and back entrances to shops which butted up against the mall. The back area was devoid of life (or so it seemed), so she moved out of the center of the roadway and into a dimly lit space a short distance away.

Overhead, there was the sound of a passing vehicle - either a CorpSec Patrol, or a News Crew. Ivory wasn't sure which. She was certain they'd be looking for lone shapes moving in the darkness and she didn't want to make herself into a target. Her back against a wall, Ivory pulled back the sleeve of her coat and glanced down at the small datapad attached to her wrist. A sharp noise near her foot caused her to jump; a hiss like a snake, and the rebel lifted up her leg with a ready stomp. She had chosen not to go barefooted, as she could pass better for a pedestrian or bluff as a Corpo long enough to escape custody if necessary.

The outflow valve ticked quietly, having released some spent CO2 from a refridgeration unit inside the building beside her.

With a scowl, she put her foot down and returned to her datapad.

Livestreams of the event were already flooding the InfoNet. Talking heads in a dozen languages, from a half-dozen News Carriers, were discussing what could, should, or would happen in the next few hours. Ivory ignored them.

She craned her neck and glanced upward, searching Sakedo Tower's outer wall for a sign of entry... whether physical or electronic. On this side of the building, there didn't seem to be many cameras, which was a plus. A short distance away, there was a squat building butted up against the mall complex - likely a refuse storage area, and Ivory began to move toward it. Certainly there would be a back entrance nearby.

Beneath a single spotlight, she found one: a door, tucked into the side of the building in a small alcove, without a handle. Strictly an exit. Above it, affixed to the wall, sat a small circular dome of black plastic - a camera. Satisfied, she marked its' location on the map, then continued her stroll through the alleyway. She did this a total of twice more before returning to the street; 15 minutes of work, and she knew where employees and shopping would likely exit if they couldn't access the main entryways at the front of the building. She was also able to mark fire escapes, and made a mental note of which direction the alleyway branched.

When she returned to the main street outside Sakedo Tower, she slipped easily into the crowd. Only a few of the protesters paid her any mind, but when she joined the cry of "Corpo Greed Is a Disease!", with her fist held high in defiance, they saw her as one of their own.

A few minutes later, she'd passed into the mall itself.

The rush of wind as she entered through the large glass doors sent a shiver down her spine, even with her long coat on. The blowers were powerful and shocked a few strands of black hair into her eyes, which she adjusted. Already, the mall was filled with noise and motion - a sea of shoeless discreets intermingling with shocked bystanders who'd found their bland shopping trip turned upside down.

Ivory faded into the background, steadily making her way toward the front line of the protest.

Anakin Stormrunner Anakin Stormrunner Daiya Daiya Lethe Harrow Lethe Harrow Dagon Kaze Dagon Kaze Ruby Jaxx Ruby Jaxx Hacks Hacks Gemma Hentz Gemma Hentz Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr Xan Deesa Xan Deesa Callista Volpe Callista Volpe

Hacks slowly tucked her hands into the pockets of her jacket, mentally her cybernetic processes were fighting an uphill battle. Data streamed across her wide-frame glasses, eyes darting as she rectified lines of complex code, countered intrusion plugs and rootkit protocols CorpSec was trying to slip past her processors. "Nice," Stoyer remarked cooly, watching her. She was relaxed, shoulders eased, but quiet. She didn't respond. She countered the payload and slipped a rudimentary self-replicating worm back into the CorpSec code. Then it was quiet for a moment.

"Kill him," Stoyer ordered, eyes looking to the CorpSec officer on the far left. The other officers replied without hesitation and fired, the droid fell limp in a hail of blaster fire. "You're a bit rusty," Stoyer said smiling. Hacks asked, slightly confused, "How'd you find the worm so quick?" He smiled wider, bright, well cared-for teeth exposed, "You're becoming predictable. You tried the same trick last time, and almost got away with it. Not this time." Hacks shrugged and offered open palms, "Can't teach an old dog new tricks." She ran a cybernetic hand through her hair and asked, "So, there a reason you're testing me? I called because I wanted to know how the hell CorpSec is going to deal with this mess."

"I'm just making sure you're still a valuable asset - I've got a job for you," Stoyer offered. "Not interested in your games right now," Hacks declined, to the mild frustration of Stoyer, only detectable by the slightest wrinkle of his brows. Then the droids rotated their heads and glanced upwards. Hacks followed their gaze. The Corpo was growing more frustrated, and whoever it was up on that rooftep, their mere presence was now testing his patience to its brink. "A friend of yours?" Hacks said, her glasses magnifying the image to see the silhouette of Dagon Kaze Dagon Kaze . She didn't recognise the vague outline, but the Corp tech was better at analysing the data from this distance. Stoyer seemed to have an answer but was reluctant to give that over.

Then her attention was back at the protest, and she better say it now than never. Lest another disturbance come and Stoyer decides to just kill her on the spot for the next thing she was going to say. "Don't hurt those protestors, or you won't be getting my services again, but your competitors? That's a different question," she said, looking into his eyes. He stared back, cold, calculating, "We run this city, not you, not Darkwire. I'll kill them if I have too." Her stomach sank. These bastards really didn't have any integrity left in them.

"I'll be seeing you," he said, leaving for his speeder. The officers flanked him, and Hacks slapped a goodbye on one of the officer-droids back. A mechanical finger slipped between the defence plates for only a half-second, but long enough to make a connection to the droids internal computing system, slipping an advanced remote access trojan into it's central data processors. "Yeah, see you next time," Hacks quietly said. In a moment the speeder was taking off and leaving for the blue sky above, far away from the filth and decay.

She walked away from the protest. They wouldn't get anything done except getting their friends killed. The only way to fight against the iron fist of the Corpos was with a weapon. She slipped into the nearest alley, brushing past the spice junkies that lined the walls. They were so doped out of their heads they didn't even register her presence. Living zombies, mindless, slaves to the spice. Casualties of Denon. She sat on the ground and rested her back against an overflowing dumpster, pulling a datapad out of her jackets pocket. Time to monitor the CorpSec infonet.

"You kiss your mother with that mouth?" Callista shot back. She had been called lots of things in her life. As she wanted through the protest - with her droid, Kaydee, scanning faces as she went - she had been called some particularly creative things.

Her earpiece buzzed. It was Garris, her boss, once more from the control room.

"Anything down your quadrant of the protest?"

Callista moved one finger to her ear.

"Just a tired person trying not to stomp on bare feet with heavy boots," she replied. This was tedious. What did they expect her to do? It was almost certainly a paper pushing exercise. If kark hit the fan then they could prove they had taken 'best endeavours to mitigate the risks' in deploying all available staff.

"Well head to the back. We have some other civilians who want to get past the crowd starting to get violent with the protestors. Remember, if it kicks off I need proof that the protestors escalated the violence."

The reason for her attendance was now crystal fucking clear. Selectively record evidence of protestor misdemeanours.

Thousands of people walking through Denon with no shoes on? anyone who didn't understand would have thought they'd gone mad.

Thankfully, it wasn't just a few. There must have been hundreds maybe thousands of fellow barefoot people surrounding him as they started to enter the tower in their droves, all eager to voice their opinions to the snobby corpo's within. On the way here he must of stood on countless amounts of junk; bags, thrown away food and disgusting oddities were present. Including a piece of gum that was now stuck to the soles of his feet that he picked up somewhere along the line.

As they grew closer more and more chants began to light up the atmosphere, to the point where it was becoming overwhelming to anyone close by, "Corpo Greed Is a Disease!" was what they shouted in defiance, doing a good job as to why they were here in the first place. The sight of thousands of voices going up against the machine could only make Cartri grin from ear to ear, if this didn't make a statement then he didn't what will

"Corpo greed is a disease!" The teen shouted at the top of his lungs, his arm rising into the air to form a fist as they entered the tall structure of the 307, their feet making the floor below as dirty as the streets of denon themselves.

All around them judgeful eyes glared from all levels, mostly in disgust at how dirty and disgusting they were to come into such a highly respected place. Little did they know it was all their fault. if they weren't so consumed in greed Darkwire probably would have never existed nor would the people of Denon be restless.

If things went well the Corpo's would meet their demands and let them leave peacefully. Yet, these were corporate snobs we are on about. They were sure to take advantage of the protestors gathered all in one place and arrest them all on the spot if trouble arose. On the first inkling of that happening, he'd need to find someone and fast. With such limited room, it was a good possibility things would go to crap.

Xan Deesa Xan Deesa Callista Volpe Callista Volpe Hacks Hacks Daiya Daiya Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud Lethe Harrow Lethe Harrow Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr Gemma Hentz Gemma Hentz Anakin Stormrunner Anakin Stormrunner

Cal Halcard

C
"I assure you Mr. Greckt, Fawn industries will be in safe hands on Denon. With the tools we can offer you, there isn't any reason to be anxious" he said confidently to the two businessmen on the other side of the table, both respectfully grinning from ear to ear. Val raised his hand and motioned for a waiter to pour them some wine, something which was done without a moments notice

"To better futures gentleman, I'll be honored to announce your new projects within the next few days"

With a soft touch of their glasses, the trio took a big gulp of their vintage wine and placed it back on the table. Behind Val, a man dressed in smart clothes leaned next to his ear "The protestors have infiltrated the tower" the guard whispered before Val replied with a quick nod "Excuse me, but I have other business to attend to. Until next time." getting up from his chair he straightened his black suit and followed his security outside of the Sakedo tower restaurant.

Upon exiting, a loud chant radiated from the bottom floor of the tower, forcing onlookers who were present in the building to look down on them with beady eyes. Val was on the first floor overlooking the mass crowd gathering at the entrance, his cold gaze looking through various figures of the scruffy rebellion "One of you have a watchlist on your datapads, correct?" he said to the four personnel behind him, to which one answered with a clear nod "Fantastic, pull it up and scan the crowd for any familiar faces. I'm sure most if not all wouldn't miss the chance to be here" he grunted as the rest of the guards looked closely at the individuals below.

If everything went haywire, those were the first people to catch. If they did it now things would be pointed in their direction, and that would drown his reputation. In the end, all of them were nothing put pests in the system...

Daiya Daiya Xan Deesa Xan Deesa Callista Volpe Callista Volpe Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud Lethe Harrow Lethe Harrow Anakin Stormrunner Anakin Stormrunner Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr Gemma Hentz Gemma Hentz Hacks Hacks

Samnai adjusted her mask as they marched through the street. The feeling of the dust and grime under her bare feet, while unpleasant, was far less than what she was used to walking on, so she could ignore it. She understood why they didn’t wear shoes, but the chance of injury was possible, given how dirty and uneven the street was.

Normally, she never allowed emotion to even rise in her. Today, however, as she joined in the chants of the crowd a small slither of excitement grew inside her chest. Maybe she could see this one group filled with determination through, when the ones in her own home have long fallen.

As she sat on the ground, the bunched-up poisoned needles she had remembered to keep in her sleever pushed against the dark cloth. There’s no way this protest will end peacefully if she knows anything about CorpSec, so she prepared in advance. A small, non-metallic dagger but no less sharp dagger lay hidden under her dark coat on her thigh.

Samnai raised an eyebrow at the luxurious and gaudy stores they sat in front of. Rich people.

Speaking of the devil—as one human in precious chains tried to push through the sitting crowd, she whipped around to give her stare at the person. They gulped at the look in her eyes and stepped back. Satisfied, she turned back. Thank God she remembered to invest in good, brown-coloured eye-contacts—they would hide her blue eyes well.

@ Daiya Daiya @ Xan Deesa Xan Deesa @ Callista Volpe Callista Volpe @ Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud @ Lethe Harrow Lethe Harrow Anakin Stormrunner Anakin Stormrunner @ Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr @ Gemma Hentz Gemma Hentz @ Hacks Hacks Val Halcard

Gluk, Stock, and Two Smoking Lasers
"Fierfek on toast." Jerek prodded the person next to him, who happened to be Samnai Rouber Samnai Rouber , with whom he'd recently helped lead a workshop on protest safety. "Kid, that human with glasses up there, the one with the guards — that's Val Halcard, Corpo spokesman guy. And he's letting himself be seen seeing us. This could go sideways hard. I bet every one of those four suits behind him is carrying at least a couple of lethals."

He glanced at Samnai's dark coat, which could be concealing all sorts of toys and probably was. For Jerec's part, the kidnap jabber would have to do if things escalated.

"The requisite bad feeling about this is being had right now."

The crowds were beginning to get louder and rowdier.

Daiya found it simple to keep from getting jostled, pulling back her knees until she could wrap her arms around them. She was wary of her trash-stained toes, with the shuffling crowds of shoppers vying for an entry into the stores or arguing with the protesters, not many beings were looking where they stepped. Hearing some squawks and cries from other dissenters proved her right.

She wondered how many bruised or broken toes would come out of today.

The real question on her mind, and one she could almost feel in the collective consciousness of the crowd, no matter their views, was how many bruised or broken beings would come out of their demonstration. Her eyes scanned through the crowd, instincts of the young shadowrunner picking out a few too-clean-cut faces who had just joined into the crowds harassing the protest. Seccers without their uniforms today, here to be ready for any conflict...or to cause it?

"Corpo Greed is a Disease!" Daiya shouted along with others from time to time, the chant moving along the protesters in waves. No one really directed them, and the teen couldn't have explained when it was time to chant again. She just knew somehow, the urge to voice dissent and rally against their cause moving organically through their barefoot numbers.

Most of the time, Daiya just watched. And many of the shoppers obliged, seated on the elevated benches or milling about the middle of the walkways as curious bystanders. Plenty of them were recording, the teen imagined the streams going out across the 'Rim and deep into the Core. Maybe Zenie was watching it with her Z-Runners, or Brie Jaxx Brie Jaxx was tuned in on one of her salvage runs. Daiya didn't smile or wave for the cameras, there were too many of them for that anyway, but she was glad she remembered to renew the pink highlights in her hair recently.

And if she needed a touch-up, the teen had picked the right store to sit by.

Heartbeat House was across from Chase Fashion, and Daiya often got the sense that their rivalry was just a really good marketing campaign. Whatever drove beings to shop at the high-end watch retailer, they either had too many credits or not enough sense to spare. Daiya watched one of today's would-be shoppers press up against the protesters seated before Chase Fashion, who had linked arms to make their living wall impenetrable. The denied shopper was incoherent, but Daiya could hear the Seccer she'd enlisted to help well enough.

"Can't you just let one person in?" Somehow, the CorpSec officer had taken a more conciliatory tone in contrast to the Karyn Being trying break through the line. "You're stopping everyone from shopping today, have a heart."

Daiya smiled as she heard the resounding chorus of responses from the living wall keeping the woman from her "stars-given right" to shop.

"You thugs don't have hearts!"

"That just sounds like greed with more steps, buckethead."

"Stop pretending. You give no ucks about the poor shoppers. CorpSec's all about that control!"

Glancing around, the teen noticed she wasn't the only one watching this exchanged. Nor was she the only one paying attention to the words of her fellow protesters. Today, they were one whole sympathetic nervous system, and eventually enough of them were getting the same message.

The new chant started small, the words and rhythms shifting as it grew. Work-shopped right before the very eyes and ears of the shopping crowd in Sakedo Mall today, the new chant was infectious. Before she knew it, Daiya found herself shouting along with the words like they were her own.

"Seccers are all thugs. They don't give no Ucks!"

She felt the touch of these words at the very core of her being.

They could cut off all her toes for all she cared right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom