Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Neon Noir

ABANDONED ROOFTOP, SLUM DISTRICT
DENON
Staring out over the rainy landscape of the city, Alicio couldn't help but notice how... dead, Denon looked.

In the distance, the glow of resplendent buildings could be seen. Casting their light into the sky, Alicio had thought the planet to resemble Coruscant when he'd first arrived. Industry, business, wealth aplenty. But as he traveled further through Denon, and into it's dark, decaying places, he began to realize his mistake.

Here, it felt more like he was standing on the corpse of some grand behemoth, long since exsanguinated by leeches.

The building Alicio stood on was long-since foreclosed. Built by some company with big dreams, the rusting durasteel tower was long-since abandoned by it's creators. Alicio stood quietly under half-constructed pillars, shielding him from the light dusting of rain, sloughing off in long rivers down to Denon's surface, flooding the gutters with a mildly acidic taste. He wore dark, non-descript clothes, hands placed firmly in his pockets, stormy grey eyes surveilling the glum skyline.

His lightsaber was hidden underneath his coat as well, but the Count hoped it wouldn't have to taste the air today.

The planet was under Corporate control. While the wealthy got wealthier, the common people were suffering. Local businesses choked and drowned by megacorporations, credits drying even as the acid rain poured. The citizens turning to drugs and crime to survive. The Galactic Alliance had failed them.

Senator Organa hoped to turn that around. But first, he had to gather information.

Iris Arani Iris Arani had set up a meeting between Alicio and her mysterious vigilante contact. Hence, the cold, abandoned rooftop, where light was scarce, and the world was dead. The Count wasn't sure that this person would be willing to help a politician, that they would even show up at all.

But he had to hope.

- Corin Trenor Corin Trenor -

42d1d25d0efc41b50a42def3b96f457197985db9_2.png

DENON - Alicio Organa Alicio Organa

div-red.png

In all his years, no matter how brief, Corin had come to understand a paltry amount of the Senate. It accompanied biases, accounts from those closest to him, and ignorant first-hand observations. Yet with them came a degree of stubborness, that of an unwavering nature. Some said it could never yield and was undoubtedly there to cause him more trouble than anything else. So far, those with such reservations had been proven correct. To a seemingly misguided Jedi with a certain disdain for authority, the Senate was a disease; a slot rot in the core of the Alliance, the kind that spread out across the increasing territory it consumed and infected systems and turned them into husks of their former selves.

Granted, Corin had not known of a 'better' Denon. It seemed as if no one had, in truth.

Though whether it was due to a deeper desire to see aid come to Denon or a particular fondness for Iris and her optimism, Corin conceded to at the minimum a meet with the politician. It was a familiar surname, to say the least, and a vague memory of a brief introduction harkened back to a celebration on Coruscant. His face was plainly full of youth, even as the rest of his frame filled out to become that of a man's. Beneath the helmet and other attire, it was easy to mistake Corin for a complete adult.

He strode across the rooftop with an unshakeable confidence to each step, a boldness even under the cover of a dimly lit darkness that Denon afforded to the inhabitants of the slums. The whites of his helmet's eyes found Alicio's from a distance and the Jedi emitted a faint chuckle at the sight, he was as foldable as a lawn chair. The earlier thought resurfaced.

"Friend of Iris', huh?" His muffled and vocoded voice asked over the dull sounds of the slums - idle chatter so far below and the low thrum of speeders too high to care overhead. "She said you wanted to speak to me about some things. So go on, spill; I haven't got much time for politcians."

A moment before the masked stranger spoke, Alicio turned his head slowly to the side, the future flashing in his eyes. Contrasting the vigilante's unbroken surety, the Count's posture was small. Hands tucked away into pockets, face containing a calm sort of uncertainty, Alicio's demeanor could only be described as quiet, as he observed the man opposite him.

"Friend of Iris', huh? She said you wanted to speak to me about some things. So go on, spill; I haven't got much time for politcians."

The senator nodded. "Alicio," he offered, though he didn't ask for a name in return.

He asked Alicio to spill. So he did.

"I'm trying to bring the crimes of the Corporate Authorities of Denon before the Federal Assembly," the Alderaanian stated plainly, fully turning to the masked man. "Iris thinks that you can help. I think you can help. Hold them accountable for their neglect, bring governmental change to this world."

"If that doesn't interest you, then turn around. But, if it does..."
Alicio took a thoughtful pause. "I could really use that help."

div-red.png

In immediate, almost reflexive, response the supposed 'Red Mask' as the elements of Denon determined, emitted an instinctive chuckle. It was faint, short-lived and muted beneath the crimson helmet that seemed to encase his entire head. Identity, and all. He swayed with an air of carelessness to him, arms left to stir beside him with a momentarily reared back head. "Hah," the vigilante stifled any further outburst, "That's a new one. Good, but new."

He settled in beside the Count under the cover, free from the touch of the acidic rain. It was never so literal but Corin never much enjoyed the idea of a touch from some so-called acid rain. It made his skin crawl, even beneath both fabric and armoured. His helmeted head tilted curiously, left to wonder both whether the Senator felt similarly of this rain and if this mission had not been blinded by a sense of pure idealism.

"Iris thinks a lot of things." His initial answer was callous, dry. Unlike the world around them. "You, though? I don't know you. What makes you think I even can help here?"

"Yeah," Alicio conceded, finding a small smile in return. "I suppose it is."

So, Red Mask was staying. That was a good sign. Alicio made room for the vigilante under the overhang, not seeming to mind much as the dirty rain splashed his jacket. The man brought up a good point. Trust.

Alicio ignored it for now. Trust had to be earned, after all. No point in trying to prove he deserved it.

"To bring evidence before the Senate, I need evidence. If I try to dig around too much myself, the Corporate Authorities or... invested senate parties will take note. Try to... stop me." The Count would count himself lucky if all they tried to do was stop him. "If I send aides, or hire people, they get put in the line of fire instead. I can't let that happen."

"You're an expert at keeping your identity secret."
Alicio crossed his arms pensively. "And I assume you care about Denon, or else you wouldn't do what you do."

"I need your help in finding proof I can bring before Coruscant. Testimonials, credit information, photos, whatever, that shows the Corporate Authorities aren't fit to govern."

"Is that something you think you could do?"

div-red.png

"I know that sham of a system," the clear detest reared itself once more, a spiteful venom rolled off of each uttered word. "You expect them to believe in evidence that has no explanation on how it was found, because I guarantee once the truth behind how the Senator of Alderaan acquired it, it doesn't blow over. A vigilante beat it out of someone, broke into their private property and stole some things, stalked someone to see all their dealings?"

The man huffed, "No matter how much truth is behind it, it's all null and void once it comes to those courts. You should know this, Senator."

"I know that sham of a system."

The Count twisted his lip at that. Quite the way to poison the well. But he didn't say anything right away, instead listening thoughtfully as the masked individual made his case.

"You're willing to accept that?" Alicio cast the man a challenging gaze, steel sharpening his tone. "That nothing we do matters, that the Senate doesn't care for Denon, so why try in the first place?"

"That's defeatist, and apathetic. I don't take you for either of those things."
Alicio's passion seeped into every word, as he continued, with the fervor of an idealist.

"We don't need enough dirt to condemn the corpos in one day. That would be impossible. All we need to do is kick up all the dust swept under the rug. If enough attention comes to Denon, the Alliance could start a proper investigation."

"I'm not asking you to torture anyone for information. I'm just asking for enough to force a conversation."
Even if his evidence wasn't enough, it will have been worth it, as long as the truth came out.

"All we need are whistleblowers."

div-red.png

Firm hands fell onto his waist as the helmeted head craned to face the concrete rooftop covered in puddles across it's mishapen surface. He breathed, a long sigh that came with a touch of frustration and even defeat. The Count was correct and admittance of that had soured his otherwise rough demeanour, a thin-lipped smirk hidden beneath the helmet had taken shape as the whites of those small visors, as it were, found themselves back on the senator.

"I'll see what I can do," Corin reluctantly accepted, but not without his own sudden brand of terms thrown out. An almost accusatory finger arose to settle onto Alicio, after all. It shifted backwards and forwards with each point in order to enunciate them, even though it never came close to touching him. Maybe that would be a crime in of itself, touching a senator like that. "But the senate better remember that it's not all of Denon that needs to suffer under lockdowns and restrictions. Just the elite left in the Up-City, their actions aren't on them. Lock things down, it only gets worse down here."

The Red Mask agreed to help.

Alicio would have allowed himself to feel accomplished, were it not for the fact that the most difficult stretch of this project was yet to come.

But he'd been able to convince one man. Maybe others would listen, too.

The vigilante's next words, accentuated by pointing, only brought a pensive look to Alicio's raincloud eyes. There would realistically be innocent people at risk, if they handled it wrong in the Senate. Too much change, chaos, at once, and the Denonians might end up worse off than before.

"I'll try my hardest to protect the people," the Count promised, staring down over the city again with a ponderous eye. "They deserve a government that cares for them."

"If I need to speak to you again, I'll get in contact through Iris. I hope you'll do the same, if you need any help, at all."
He turned back to the masked individual. "Stay safe."

div-red.png

Content, to some middling extent, seemed an apt descriptor of Corin's feelings towards the meet. He was distrustful of the Senate, of the political and legal systems in place that were intended to help people; ever doubtful of their effectiveness, rather the true intentions that lurked behind the scenes. Even with Auteme as reigning Supreme Chancellor, did that truly spell for a better Galactic Alliance, a better galaxy?

He wished to believe it so, maybe a touch too cynical to fully come to terms with the idea.

In the very least, it was better then the barbarism of the Maw or the tyrannical authority of the Empire. Something could be made of the Alliance yet, but the chance to do so must first be offered. So the vigilante opted to extend some smidge of aid, no matter how small.

He slinked back under the pouring sky with what seemed to be black clouds lurking overhead, "I wouldn't count on it." The voice from beneath the mask carried out, some smug satisfaction twisted in with a touch of seriousness as he closed in on the ledge of the building.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom