Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SWRP Economy

[member="Tamara"]

98% of my companies sales go to 'faction militaries/governments' or large IC fragments of a factions government.

If this 'IC economy' doesn't extend to the credit card of the faction... I'm not sure how its gonna end up playing out for those of us who enjoy roleplaying as the head of a major company. Also, a major part of gaining tiers as a company is gaining 'sponsorship' with major factions. With an IC economy, such a sponsorships and sales to faction governments would likely result in a huge increase in character/company wealth....

I don't know... On the whole I'm hesitant about the idea.

Simplest way would be to give major factions and specifically their IC leader a credit amount based on how many hexes on the map they own. That would give a larger faction a bigger warchest to use, but they obviously would need to spend it to also outfit and defend more places.

Would make invasions much more interesting too because some worlds could be (secretly or openly) equipped with stations and troops to help in any invasion.

As a causal role player, I think this is bad idea. I come here to have fun not to make pretend money. I worry about money In real life enough without having to do that online. I come here for escape.

Now I have alway tried to realistic with Hawk concern credits. He has a background as a dancer and smuggler. So he has a little saving. I could class him as middle class person.

If we do this..is character profession going to hinder their wealth? A Jedi would earn almost nothing. If that was the case, why would be a Jedi?

Who is going to keep track that everyone is living within their means? That we are rping properly with the credits. It is going to create a lot more problems for the mods to keep track of everything.

Example...character has 20,000 credits. Character goes out to eat.. Spends 100 credits. Who is going to keep track of every transaction in all role plays?

Captain Larraq said:
I'm not sure how its gonna end up playing out for those of us who enjoy roleplaying as the head of a major company. Also, a major part of gaining tiers as a company is gaining 'sponsorship' with major factions. With an IC economy, such a sponsorships and sales to faction governments would likely result in a huge increase in character/company wealth....
Again, I'm assuming representatives would play large roles. A member of a major faction with a lot of credits = a lot of credits for that major faction.

That member leaves, that faction loses that amass of wealth.

It's really a lot more simpler than you guys are making it out to be. Stop trying to think so real-world specific - there's not going to be any tithes, probably no taxes. This isn't supposed to recognize a "true" economy, only a player based one.

sabrina

Okay I like the idea
only one thing, I think that, might become an issue
people may charge, to train people in the force. Which in turn could make it, harder to learn new force skills.
The higher up one`s, would be more, difficult to get. If people started doing this.

Not to mention, if wealth is based on RPing, you'll end up with an active Jedi or quick posting vagrant with more money than a slower posting nobleman.

I get it's a player based system, but since individuals don't buy warships, tanks or war machines, who is going to buy that stuff then? Missing out the government/faction is missing out a huge reason the factory exists - to make faction equipment.

CHANI

A few things I am curious about.
In certain outer regions are certain currencies not worth much?
Is there a competing currency?
Is there a central loans bank?
Will one Faction have a majority influence over the currency, type of currency like the republic?

Watto: How are you going to pay for all this?
Qui-Gon Jinn: I have twenty thousand Republic dataries.
Watto: Republic credits? Republic credits are no good out here. I need something more real.
Qui-Gon Jinn: I don't have anything else...
[waves hand]
Qui-Gon Jinn: But credits will do fine.
Watto: No, they won't-a.
[Qui-Gon waves his hand more firmly]
Qui-Gon Jinn: Credits will do fine.
Watto: No, they won't-a. What? You think you're some kind of Jedi, waving your hand around like that? I'm a Toydarian. Mind tricks don't work on me. Only money. No money, no parts, no deal!

Tefka said:
That's pretty easy, a representative of the Major Faction would just step forward.
True, but then we end up with the blurred line between character wealth, faction wealth, and IC organization wealth. This gets confusing when we're talking about factions that have a decentralized government. Like, what if the Atrisians or the Mnenchi want to buy new ships for their fleet? They are technically factions and technically are only a small part of a faction. The same would e said for a Mandalorian clan or a 'city state' planet like Serenno and it's nobles.

IC, they should have considerably more wealth than just a single character or company and IC, there isn't really a reason for their purchases to provide less gain than a similar/equal purchase/sale involving a centralized government or a rep from a different faction that can slap a 'faction contract' sticker on a roleplay/purchase,

CHANI said:
A few things I am curious about.
In certain outer regions are certain currencies not worth much?
Is there a competing currency?
Is there a central loans bank?
Will one Faction have a majority influence over the currency, type of currency like the Republic.
The Mandalorians own the Banking planet, not the Republic. I'd think that would leave the Mandalorians influencing the currency system.

Saera Willamina Savan

~+--- Skaidra ---+~ Beskarsmith, Alchemist
Hey. He mentioned the Mnenchei. Didn't think anyone ever noticed them! <3

I deeply believe and think that this should be centralized around individuals rather than factions. If you give factions set economical structures, you lead the way to major balance issues raised by one faction having more or less money or influence than the other, even if their technology is more advanced or their military is statistically better. The "richer" faction is simply going to buy more of what they need, and steamroll the lesser.

Corporations should have a way to make money, but the Chairmen or CEOs of those companies should get their share of company income with the rest going into an insubstantial "corporate account" that them and ranking staff can only draw from for corporate or faction needs. This keeps people from pulling an "I have tens of billions of credits" trick, as it's technically and vastly not their own to spend (unless they want to singlehandedly bankrupt their corporation or have to drawback the majority of their operations, as realistically billion-dollar organizations must still spend many millions in order to turn that profit).

sabrina

[member="Captain Larraq"], that would be worse, if their was only one.
last thing going to say on this, is go for the vanilla, and then tweak and expand :D
I like the idea, as long as it does become a problem, to new player`s.

Not a bad idea, but honestly, most company profits go to CEO's, investors, and stock holders. "Corporate Accounts"... Are pretty much based on how much money they want to put back into the company beyond the minimum to keep it running.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
As a player, I generally tend to oppose further rules, regulations, or committees except in the case of abuse or expansion. However, I have also had wonderful experiences with RP Economy Systems in the past as well.

Without a trial run, I cannot expressly oppose nor support this idea at this time. :D

What if we excluded faction equipment from being priced? This way, the only factory goods that are affected by the monetary system would be those designed for sale to the open market. For companies like Mandal Hypernautics, sales to major factions could be based on sponsorship, not individual sale by credits. Or something like that. All in all, I'm digging this potential system.

On the subject of galactic currency, most factions have neutrality w/trade agreements with other factions. This system would add value to these agreements, as it'd probably mean that both factions accept one another's currency.

Only question I have is, would factions be permitted to implement things such as wages for their members? As it was pointed out, Senior Politicians make more than Juniors, etc. So would the factions be able to provide it's members with fund on top of their earnings by posting/bounties?

Just spitballing here XD

Saera Willamina Savan

~+--- Skaidra ---+~ Beskarsmith, Alchemist
Isley Verd said:
What if we excluded faction equipment from being priced? This way, the only factory goods that are affected by the monetary system would be those designed for sale to the open market. For companies like Mandal Hypernautics, sales to major factions could be based on sponsorship, not individual sale by credits. Or something like that. All in all, I'm digging this potential system.
I still think non-experimental things should be priced, as times change and what may be exclusive sales one day may be a new contract the next. Just look at RRDI and SI, for example. IC events happened, allegiances or sponsors changed and new contracts were forged whereas certain products were publicized.

There's a whole lot of specifics talk going down, but the brass tacks is this:

I wanna give the community some form of currency, with minimal rules in place to regulate it.

Then I'll step back and watch what you guys do with it, and slightly tweak as problems arise.

No, it won't be super super realistic, but I don't care about that. The map isn't super realistic, either. It lacks a Z axis - but you don't see people complaining about it.

I think this'll be fun.

And chaotic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom