Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SWRP Economy

Malachi Zan said:
Question, but since Minors don't control hexes on a map, wouldn't that prevent Minors from purchasing or making faction specific ships? Or, even, purchasing equipment or other goods?
I would give them one hex's worth of income in that case, or some such number, to allow them to purchase items for their factions. Bearing in mind they have ship length restrictions this would work out well.

For those who like to play the 'map game' an economy could be a good way of making invasions and dominions more balanced and interesting. Those who don't want to be part don't have to be, and can fight in duels and such in invasions freely. But for those fleeters this could be a good way to manage your faction, allocate and defend key planets, create fleets based on what the faction needs, and also make use of all those lovely tech submissions which never get used.
I would actually like someone's help in brainstorming some ideas for this eventually, even if it doesn't become an official board wide invention.

Regardless, any economy system without faction participation is fatally flawed and would ignore most of the factory submissions not for personal use.

Zz'acc

Z
Fabula Cavataio said:
I hope people go bankrupt. Maybe it'll stop them from acting like trillionaires.
Lol, I wasnt joking either. I think Ima have [member="Dante Imura"] (my newest alt) face a long lasting bankruptcy

[member="Tefka"]
Or perhaps you're thinking too shallow? :p

There’s no point having an economy system unless it’s done right, and if factions aren’t included you’re missing out most of the galactic market.

If you want this to work, it has to be thought out. It’d be like the factory used to be, where people could work out their own templates and specifics. That was too chaotic and not properly planned so we have a new and better thought out system. We don’t want to repeat those mistakes.

Theophenes

Stark raving silly
I noticed someone earlier mentioning multiple currencies. Frankly, that's suicidal, and now, individual factions should not have their own currencies, because then each major faction will have to start creating imaginary fiscal policy. Or, the mods will create arbitrary and goofy exchange rates, which will also be a mess. Either way, a single unit (the galactic credit) is more than sufficient if we actually start doing this.

Personally, I feel like major factions should be able to hand-wave money issues, because I don't think anyone wants to go back-and-forth on what any of this imaginary stuff is actually worth, typically.

Also, I'm curious about Danger's point: Can we simply "gift" credits to heads of other, service-based companies for services rendered? If not, my Law Firm is gonna sue Tefka for....something arbitrary, maybe dereliction of godhood? Is Dereliction of godhood a thing? I am totally gonna file that suit.

[member="Danger Arceneau"]
I am not the one proposing this! :p

However, I suspect that service companies would sell ‘products’ based on what service they are offering. For instance, a freighter contract could be sold for 10,000 credits (or whatever) like any other product.
That would be the fairest way to do it.

I'm of the same opinion [member="Tefka"] is. Lot of folks complicating it when there's no need to. Give folks their credits to play with, let them assign their own value to their goods (or charge their own price if they're a service company [member="Danger Arceneau"]) and then sit back and see what happens.

I actually get a lot of comments that my wares are too expensive. Canon items are sold at canon prices and non-canon items are priced based on judgement calls and comparisons I've made with similar products with existing prices.

I'm not looking forward to the day when my company has to compete wil sales against someone who doesn't do their research and decides to sell star destroyers for 1 million credits, fully believing that such sales are fair and balanced. If your going to do it, do it right, go all out, or don't do it at all. Half measures and implementing systems for the sake of implementing systems will end in disaster for writers and for the board as a whole until someone eventually breaks down and starts trying to fix it.

Hell, just look at the current ship building guidelines and 'standard' fleeting practices. People set a '40,000m fleet limit' or some such none sense and think everything is dandy. If that were the case, I should be able to bring 40,000m of corvettes and go toe to toe with 40,000m of star destroyers. Because that's balanced, right?

Well sadly, it's not. And I'm not looking forward to another system being implemented without individuals putting thought and effort into designing a fair and balanced system that takes all aspects into consideration. That includes factions, navies, planetary governers, companies, and the 'common citizen'.

I'm probably being far more of a dick than I should be, and I'll go ahead and blame alchahol now while I have the chance, but I'm very worried by the idea of this system getting half-assed and thrown onto the board on a whim. Do it right, or let it rest. Don't just go '"I want it, but it's too much effort to make rules that make sense because we'd have to retcon old designs." Which is the response I got when I brought up my issues with starship balancing.

I roleplay as a fleeter and as the CEO of a canon company that I consider to be a 'big deal'. My issues with starships and the factory made me all but quit this board a few months ago. I'm trying to get back into this site because I enjoy the stories I get to tell (when people aren't dicks), and I really have no desire to get told "I'm sorry, you don't make enough money to do that, you can't tell that story." By the same people that drove me away from the factory.

[member="Tamara"], then I plan on declaring bankruptcy and asking the galactic governments for a bail out, in which I then will flee to the SW galaxy's equivalent of Costa Rica after collecting all that money. Who needs to destroy Coruscant? I'll just rip em all off twice instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom