Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SWRP Economy

Tefka said:
This is mostly understood, but SWRP already revels in competition via the map game.

However, I strongly doubt credits will hinder creativity. Capitalism certainly didn't kill America.

But as with all things, if it doesn't work, I'll take it out back and shoot it.
Well. :)! I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best then.

But a last thing. Remember that we're not america, or any other country for that matter. But a place people use their spare time to write and have fun. My only fear with this is that it could hinder those that don't use as much time here as others, but still want to roleplay hot shots(high ranking something) and now because they need to roleplay a lot in order to gain credits will be unable to play these desired hot shots. Anyway. This will depend on how it is introduced and I might have missunderstood something, I don't know. I'll let the elder talk now. :p

Pa'Kar Sang

P
I've been waiting for this my entire life
tumblr_n1f08skPuf1sqxuh4o7_500.gif

This would be interesting and I think it's worth a shot. After all, Auction threads were getting a little ridiculous, with characters making lavish bids without much in the way of IC income. The owner of a Tier 4 company getting outbid by a sixteen year old Jedi Padawan because the Padawan has unrestricted access to legitium (a term for made-up "resources" coined by one [member="Ashin Varanin"]) is a little ridiculous. This regulates everything a little better. I'm not saying that we should cut down on fun, but I think writers should be rewarded for building up their company through roleplays.

[member="Tefka"]
The Intergalactic Banking Clan basically ran the currencies in the olden times, I would not doubt that has changed since then. And its been IC'ly mentioned before they still do. If you want a market crash, they're the ones it will be revolved around.

My problem with this is your trying to grasp something monstrously massive. Currency collection will be decided on by posting, or post length? While that could certainly work; you want to regulate factory pricing. The only way for it to work is if you held an iron grip of death on everything that would be there, or at least sold.

You want national currencies to compete against one another. How will it be determined, the worth of the currencies. Arbitrarily set and fluctuated or taking in size, corparations, members. How basically? And won't it devolve to one side not accepting the others currencies, and vise versa alot. We're gona go back to the days of the Reble/Empire days where we had to trade in precious metals!

And how will it be determined just how much countries have to spend too? Can I just spend millions as I please because the whole of Black Sun is behind me, or are you going to cap me?

Just the scope is ohh so massive, and the wealth disparity is gona be worse than it is in the real world. It will be boon for those at the top of the corporate ladders and leaders of the big nations, but what about the tons more little guys?

[member="Tefka"] This is an awesome idea now I need to really figure out a company for Aedan to run on the side x.x back to the drawing board to come up with something random that will work and by drawing board I do indeed me GTA V.

Ashe the Reaper said:
All of the old, marketable factory subs will need prices added, won't they? x_x
I would suggest having this handled at the lowest level: which would be the person submitting the sub.

They would either go through the work of adding prices to submissions, or simply have potential buyers contact the producer of the submission. One option obviously doesn't require much work except whenever someone is interested in buying.

[member="Daella Apparine"]

That's not really a suggestion, more of a necessity. We can't set their prices for them, lol

It'd be wise to learn the income of the average player before setting prices. As another noted, this would be a massive undertaking.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
In my opinion, it's worth the work. As for pricing, a good look at some of the tech on the Wookiee is a great foundation for pricing options on tech subs. It's where I learned to price my things (though most of my things don't have the prices actually listed - some, but not most).

Is this something we can ask modifications for starting now?

In Umbris Potestas Est
Adding financial services simply puts another layer of unnecessary complexity onto the system, which will discourage people from joining due to their likely lack of understanding how said system works. We haven't had it before, and I'll be damned if we need it now.

Having an economy system could be a great idea and indeed might be a way to make bounties/auctions/companies mean something. But, as with every other time this has come up there are basic problems.

• Governments. Will governments be included, and if so how will they work? Would each faction member contribute to their funds, or would factions be excluded from the economy?
  • Scale. A small item might cost 10 credits, a Star Destroyer might cost tens of millions. How can we make a system which deals properly with this scale? Sell one capital ship and be able to buy everything else.
  • Pre-existing wealth. How to factor in what people have already or have by virtue of who their character is a challenge. For instance if someone RPs the Chancellor or Queen of Naboo they have access to funds which would need to be accounted for.
  • Fairness. Whilst characters could certainly not use the system, would we end up with a situation where certain people have the best gear and a stack of credits whilst new writers can never get off the ground? We need to be careful it doesn't end up like an MMO where casual writers are not left behind just because they're not posting 24/7.
  • Fun. Is going bankrupt and having to watch your money fun? Most of us have to do the second part every day. Some people like writing super rich tycoons because they'll never get that chance IRL....
  • Complexity. Is adding another layer of complexity really a good idea? As it is RPing system here is simple, the rules are easy to follow and so long as you don't go nuts everything is fine. Do we really want to add a whole new level of staff maintenance, possible disputes and accounting knowledge to the site?
  • Experience. I've not been to every forum, obviously. Two I have been to though had economies and they ended the same way; a small elite of old guard had all the good stuff, and new people had to become their vassals and work almost jobs to earn enough to buy anything else. Now, it won't be as bad here because it's for factory only, but still....

So yeah, I think that even if we spent all the time to balance a new system and could support it, whether it would add enough to the site to justify it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom