Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SWRP Economy

Captain Larraq said:
I actually get a lot of comments that my wares are too expensive. Canon items are sold at canon prices and non-canon items are priced based on judgement calls and comparisons I've made with similar products with existing prices.

I'm not looking forward to the day when my company has to compete wil sales against someone who doesn't do their research and decides to sell star destroyers for 1 million credits, fully believing that such sales are fair and balanced. If your going to do it, do it right, go all out, or don't do it at all. Half measures and implementing systems for the sake of implementing systems will end in disaster for writers and for the board as a whole until someone eventually breaks down and starts trying to fix it.

Hell, just look at the current ship building guidelines and 'standard' fleeting practices. People set a '40,000m fleet limit' or some such none sense and think everything is dandy. If that were the case, I should be able to bring 40,000m of corvettes and go toe to toe with 40,000m of star destroyers. Because that's balanced, right?

Well sadly, it's not. And I'm not looking forward to another system being implemented without individuals putting thought and effort into designing a fair and balanced system that takes all aspects into consideration. That includes factions, navies, planetary governers, companies, and the 'common citizen'.

I'm probably being far more of a dick than I should be, and I'll go ahead and blame alchahol now while I have the chance, but I'm very worried by the idea of this system getting half-assed and thrown onto the board on a whim. Do it right, or let it rest. Don't just go '"I want it, but it's too much effort to make rules that make sense because we'd have to retcon old designs." Which is the response I got when I brought up my issues with starship balancing.

I roleplay as a fleeter and as the CEO of a canon company that I consider to be a 'big deal'. My issues with starships and the factory made me all but quit this board a few months ago. I'm trying to get back into this site because I enjoy the stories I get to tell (when people aren't dicks), and I really have no desire to get told "I'm sorry, you don't make enough money to do that, you can't tell that story." By the same people that drove me away from the factory.
^This, all of this.

This character is the CEO of a Tier III(hopefully Tier IV in a month or so...) company. I absolutely love working on my company, RPing with it, finding new ways to incorporate it into things, etc etc Its a great way to engage in RPs without going the traditional route of fighting. However, with a currency system, would this character be limited on what he could or couldn't do? That seems pretty unfair not to RP out a thread or work on a major project because credits are an issue. I try to be fairly realistic with Judah's personal and professional wealth but how would wealth in a sense be decided? Does a Tier III CEO get more money than say a solider? How would advancement of the company be able to take place if I'm worried about fake credits?

Personally, I think this is a terrible idea. Its going to suck all the fun out of my business RPs and I see those who chose to have their own company also feel the same. There are too many variables contained within this to successfully pull off for everyone involved.

I can also sense this being a issue of wealth. As in, X earns more money because he/she has more free time to post, and thus they can afford to do more.

Otherwise, my end opinion to this is a big old "Not Right Now".

Or: each IC post earns you one credit. For different amounts of credits, players can earn flavour stuff, I.E. personal rank tags or something...

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Chupa La'Roi said:
Or: each IC post earns you one credit. For different amounts of credits, players can earn flavour stuff, I.E. personal rank tags or something...
Then the newcomers will feel discouraged by all the veterans' and speed-domineers' awesome swag. That's a downer, not a motivator. Trust me; tried and tested - bad idea.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Judah Dashiell said:
I'm not looking forward to the day when my company has to compete wil sales against someone who doesn't do their research and decides to sell star destroyers for 1 million credits, fully believing that such sales are fair and balanced. If your going to do it, do it right, go all out, or don't do it at all. Half measures and implementing systems for the sake of implementing systems will end in disaster for writers and for the board as a whole until someone eventually breaks down and starts trying to fix it.
Simple solution: Individual players shouldn't be buying anything bigger than a Frigate anyways as per rules. (~2,100,000 canon, tops).

The credits system, to my understanding, wasn't thought up for the benefit of the corporations and major governments anyways, so to say it will imbalance it any further is rhetorical, as in that case it's broken in its current state. A personal credits system doesn't really change that.

Tamara said:
[member="Tefka"]
Or perhaps you're thinking too shallow? :p

There’s no point having an economy system unless it’s done right, and if factions aren’t included you’re missing out most of the galactic market.

If you want this to work, it has to be thought out. It’d be like the factory used to be, where people could work out their own templates and specifics. That was too chaotic and not properly planned so we have a new and better thought out system. We don’t want to repeat those mistakes.
Nobody in this community has any idea on how to do it "right", you included. Nobody in this community can provide a strong enough argument for why it should or shouldn't be done, because it has both strong pros and strong cons.

You say it would be like the Factory used to be. Yet, If I tried to get rid of the Factory now, the mob would have my head on a platter. Over time, we've shaped the Factory into an almost integral part of SWRP.

However, I cannot introduce a new concept with a million rules surrounding it, ranging from Factions to the map's grid to invasions to companies. It would be confusing, enraging, and only further restrict the concept before people even had a chance to play with it. No, I'd rather leave it open and to the community, for them to play with, and then take ideas along the way.

Why?

Because suffering bumps and bruises is our way of doing things.

Writing novels of rules is not. Regardless of how "not right" it feels.

[member="Tefka"]
Of course, so we're just floating ideas. I'm not claiming my way is better or the best or guaranteed to work, and you're not either.

However, there needs to be some planning put into this, or else it becomes a hapless scrum.

So let's assume we go ahead as a means by which individuals earn credits for RP posts to buy factory items or services. Good.
But the next step surely has to be how this is to be done. We don't need 200 rules, but we need to work out a framework to hang this all on. So with that in mind, how do you see this working as far as balancing things out? Will all RP posts by all writers be worth the same, and how do we reconcile this with IC considerations?

I had the pleasure of setting up and help running banking system on another board it can work nicely. As each player had their own account and Company did also, would after getting done rping a sl out make deposit into that account. Like of fraction and stuff each week, those people in each said fraction would go to each of there member account and make deposit also, also they could take it out, like a bank ledger of sorts. Also if it was a large sum would link the rp into that deposit.

I hoping that this is making since to all. Just ask me for more details if need to be.

sabrina

get the vanilla out, then let`s tweak it, as yes their plenty of scope for refinement.
but it can`t be refined, until we know the basic concept work`s

It just seems like a horrible idea that will give more work to the rpjs to moderate. You have not only your major factions, but the minor factions, the different tiers of businesses, service vs production and manufacturing companies, and then the criminal elements of stealing, racketeering, extortion, drug trade, smuggling.... And more. All of this means income one way or another and starting over from nothing from those who have roleplayed hard to promote thier companies from tier 2 to tier 6 for the past year is not fair -- a wealth of contracts, rps, and effort went into it.

Ugh, I already dealt with money and accounts working at a bank. I don't need it here when I want to have fun.

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
I am with the redhead on this one. Ain't seeing a point for this new mechanic, auctions and the sort are pretty rare. Their hosts should be in charge of making sure people got access to the amount of money they claim to have. Besides that... well, only seems to be another layer people got to cross to get into the meat of things.

Wicked Witch of Schwartzweld
Okay, here's my two cents. I've seen this system (not always the same, different servers provide slightly different mods but the outcome is usually the same). And very rarely it works. I've always been curious to actually see it work and on one site I have but it was more oriented towards the ooc aspect rather than ic (purchase name changes, cts, etc... gives admins freedom here nicely imo). However, most of the time, it just sits there, forgotten because the concept doesn't truly live.

So, yes, on one hand I'm curious to see this happen. Curious to see how it will function on the forum we're currently on 'cos I've never seen it be done here. Also curious to see how much you can let be automated and how much it will require human work to it (staff primarily but also between members). I'm also curious if this was to work, how it would effect the fifty post rule we currently have in place since it would be solely focused on ic posts. On the other, I'm still a little worried because clearly people are talking so far ahead at this point with the faction and company questions (which is of course understandable consider how long those have been going on) but with a new system like this, in all honesty, it may not into come into play for a while. I do like the idea of using it to purchase existing items from the factory down the line though.

Okay, so my two cents basically sums to, I'd like to see it happen and see where it leads us. As long as people can keep an open mind and not rush to the point when we're all billioners...

Saera Willamina Savan

~+--- Skaidra ---+~ Beskarsmith, Alchemist
The impression I'm getting from people is that this would be good as a guide or a banking tool more than a set-in-stone official system. Something that just makes the experience a little more flavorful and lets people who are into immersion or realism do so without forcing everyone else's to be about work ethic.

Særa Ayña Savan said:
The impression I'm getting from people is that this would be good as a guide or a banking tool more than a set-in-stone official system. Something that just makes the experience a little more flavorful and lets people who are into immersion or realism do so without forcing everyone else's to be about work ethic.
I like your words, as they again convey how I feel about it.

Again I stress that this system would not be required of anyone. Purely optional.

Oh optional? Absolutely! Go for it right now! Something like that would be perfect because in all honesty I'm terrible with gesturing what should be valued what...

Before someone knocked some sense into me I was willing to hunt four tons of restricted material for 5,000 credits! Glad that didn't happen...

I say bring what may and we'll make it work or will put it by the way-side. A thousand hypotheticals accomplish nothing. Folks worrying about this idea might as well be worrying about whether or not they can compete in an 800 meter race before they even learn how to walk. The Factory didn't get to where it is today over night. Like Tef said, there will be bumps and bruises as we go forward, but that's just part of the experience. It might fail horribly like some people are afraid of, or it might turn into something wonderful. We won't know until we give it a shot.

Kung Seilois

Freelancer Extraordinaire
I actually intend to keep an active amount of Credits I collect via IC jobs and only use that to pay for things. I never intended for others to do it, but I just thought it would be something fun for myself to do as a sixteen year old Jedi outbidding a CEO just seems... ludicrous, but I have gotten ludicrous credit offers, so go figure. I mean people are offering 500k+ credits for battles which seems incredibly excessive. ICly I would fight for 20kish and be happy for it.

If you do find a way to incorporate this, it will either be amazing or utterly terrible. Either way, I am game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom