Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Rey a Mary Sue?

Jor Kvall

Ain't found a way to kill me yet
Kirie Ito said:
However, many have argued that this checklist of Mary Sue attributes is ultimately harmful to the depiction of female characters in our media. As the term "Mary Sue" has moved from a condemnation of too-perfect self-insert fan fiction characters toward a broader umbrella term for any female character that acts with agency, the threat of having a character branded a Sue has stifled the creativity and the proliferation of strong female characters. So-called "Sue Paranoia" has been cited by authors both professional and amateur as a force that suppresses and silences the creation of strong female characters.
I agree with most of your points, but I will take exception to this paragraph. I think the opposite of what you postulate is true. It seems to me the execs at Disney were so hyperfocused on creating an awesome female character that smashed gender barriers and showed up the boys at everything and was so above-it-all that they forgot what actually makes a character awesome. The result was Rey.

As has been pointed out, there are a litany of examples of powerful female characters that are immensely popular. It would almost be a subversion now to have a female lead that does not beat up the boys all the time. Clearly the problem is not authors and directors feeling like they can't create strong female characters, because they do all the time and are constantly praised for it. The detractors of characters like Rey are not people with any institutional power.

Kirie Ito said:
Is being a Mary Sue really that bad?

This is basically what I've been saying since the beginning. A Mary Sue/Gary Stu character can actually work for the story. Luke Skywalker and Paul Atreides are good examples. You want a female example? The most recent that comes to mind is Starlight from the Amazon show The Boys. (Great show by the way, I highly recommend it.)

Kirie Ito said:
What exactly is the harm in a character that shows agency, is competent, and solves their problems.

Rey doesn't have agency though.

What's that one line Rey repeatedly said in TFA?

"I don't want any part of this."

Let's read it again.

"I don't want any part of this."

Take Rey's words at face value. She wants no part of the plot. She didn't even want to leave Jakku. She was dragged onto the Millenium Falcon and through the tumult of the story against her will. Then she shows up at Luke's door in TLJ and has no idea what she's even doing there.

In an interview Daisy Ridley said the following:

"[Rey] didn't ask for anything in the first [movie]. Like, she wasn't asking to go on this adventure, it was just an awesome adventure."

Take Daisy Ridley's words at face value. She wasn't asking to go on this adventure, it was just, I dunno, something awesome to do, I guess.

Does that sound like a character with developed goals and struggles?

How much clearer can it be when the character's own actor is saying this?

is she a mary sue?
kind of
is she powerful? yes buy so were others
dose she have any other defining traits?
F**ked if i can name one.
dose she have flaws?
see last answer.
and that's my issue i wanted a tad better characterization.
do i hate women? meh maybe i mean its hard being a female misogynist.

[member="Braith Achlys"]

Adenn Kyramud, on 20 Nov 2019 - 11:49 PM, said:The problem for many is that Rey beat Kylo so easily and was able to use the Force just like that. It's plausible if you say that Kylo was extremely exhausted from his prior fights and trauma not so long ago, but still stretching it. However, I'll ignore that for now

Neat. You're going to casually ignore the reason why Rey got away in her duel with Kylo because it doesn't suit your narrative. That's pretty par for the course in this thread though.

If you're going to quote someone, please include the entire sentence and the context thereof, otherwise you will fall into the same thing you accuse me of now, ignoring the reason because it doesn't suit your narrative. Below I shall list the entire passage where this quote is in, and then below that I shall explain myself.

Adenn Kyramud said:
s others here have stated, and we all know, Rey defeated Kylo for various reasons, part of it plot. I can see both sides of the arguments and believe that it makes sense and doesn't make sense that she beat him. Rey was indeed fresh and hadn't fought yet, so she was still full of energy. Kylo on the other hand, he had just killed his father, taken a blast from a wookie bowcaster and fought on, while also running through the forest and having another fight. Therein my problem is the fact that Finn managed to hold his own against Kylo, but that's another argument entirely. The problem for many is that Rey beat Kylo so easily and was able to use the Force just like that. It's plausible if you say that Kylo was extremely exhausted from his prior fights and trauma not so long ago, but still stretching it. However, I'll ignore that for now and say, sure, it's possible that Rey was strong enough in the Force to find her zen and be able to use it after someone told her she could. However implausible it may be, it's still a possibility that shouldn't be ignored completely.

First, if you'd direct your attention to the first few words of the sentence, "The problem for many..." meaning that many people find this to be a problem. I myself didn't state in this paragraph whether I agreed or disagreed with it, though I can say that I didn't like the way it was written and played out. The simply fact of the matter is this, many people find it a problem that Rey beat Kylo, while others say that it was logical due to him being exhausted for said reasons. Most people don't state those reasons, which is why I said it'd be possible. People dislike that she beat him so easily, yes he was wounded, yes he was tired mentally, physically, and emotionally, but he was still fully trained, more so than Rey was at the time of time. I am merely stating what many people believe the problem is, that she beat him so easily, then I go into why some say it's good that she beat Kylo.

"It's plausible if you say that Kylo was extremely exhausted from his prior fights and trauma not so long ago, but still stretching it." Yes, Kylo was exhausted, but he still had training, both lightsaber, Force training, no doubt mental preparations as well, and more. We don't see this in the movies, correct, but to become the leader of a powerful order of Force users, IE the Knights of Ren, one must be strong in more ways than one. However, going back to what you said, let's continue on with the sentences. "However, I'll ignore that for now and say, sure, it's possible that Rey was strong enough in the Force to find her zen and be able to use it after someone told her she could." I said I'd ignore it, and what I was ignoring was the stretching of Rey being able to beat Kylo, it was after all the last thing I said. To add onto proving this, my next words are here. "However, I'll ignore that for now and say, sure, it's possible that Rey was strong enough in the Force to find her zen and be able to use it after someone told her she could." With this very sentence, I'm agreeing that it's possible that she could beat him if he truly was so exhausted, however, you conveniently forgot that when you quoted me, instead only having the first part, and thus not using my words the way I said them, but to "suit your narrative," as you said I was doing.

Here is my fully post regarding this, #26. Next I'll address some things you said. :)

A: Training
Tathra Khaeus, on 03 Dec 2019 - 5:22 PM, said:
Tathra Khaeus said:
And why would he barely have any in Episode 2? He went from 9 to 20. That's 11 years!
Off screen training time. You refuse to allow the possibility for Rey to have training because we don't explicitly get shown it in the movies, so I am giving you the same ridiculous measure in regards to her predecessors.

Yes, Anakins training was off screen, but it was between 2 movies, Episode 1 and Episode 2, where 11 years passed. With Rey, that was from 1 minute to the next. TFA ended with Rey holding the lightsaber out to Luke, and TLJ started with Luke taking the lightsaber. No time passed between the two movies. If there was any off screen training, it was not mentioned, and at most it'd be a few weeks, not the years that Kylo, Luke, and Anakin all had. No one is refusing the possibility that Rey had off screen training, people are simply saying that she didn't have anywhere near the same level of training as the other characters.

Anakin, 11 years of training, 3 years of war where one learns even more about fighting, flying since before he could walk.
First time he flew an actual ship, was on autopilot, had help from R2, crashed, and landed before the generator by accident(plot convenience).
First lightsaber fight, lost badly, lost his hand, nearly died.

Luke, flying for years and years, particularly in one of the most dangerous are on Tatooine, Beggars Canyon. He flew Skyhoppers, with controls very similar to X-Wings. His first target, 2 meter big hole the size of a womprat, which he bullseyed in his skyhopper. When he first flew his X-Wing, it didn't go well, nearly shot down, only saved by the help of others. Eventually learns to fly better, though he did have trouble when he went to Dagobah, but he did receive training there. When he next fought Vader, he lost, badly.

Rey, scavenger, some training with her staff from no doubt fighting off other scavengers. No doubt has some technical knowledge because she's been taking ships and other scraps apart her entire life, so I can understand the scene where she takes something out of the Falcon. Flies the Falcon as well as Han and Chewie did, held her own and almost beat Kylo, or did beat Kylo, depending on who you ask. She did cut him rather badly, and he was the one who lost the planet.

That's the 3 main characters people have been discussing and mentioning. As you can see, these notes are from what I know about the characters based on the movies. If any of these characters have had more training in the movies, not in books, comics, etc., then by all means, mention it. But from what I've said and know based on the movies, Luke and Anakin have had more training than Rey, but Rey is on a similar level to them without any training, and if there is training, a few weeks perhaps.

B: Sexism
I don't believe anyone here is sexist towards men or women, however you and others have brought it up, claiming, without proof, that these people are sexist towards women. Now, I don't know why you say this, nor do I know why others say this, but I'm positive for most people it's not a matter of men or women, it's a matter of a characters story, and how interesting they are. Those that bring sex into the discussion, regardless of what they believe, don't contribute anything, and are ultimately sexist themselves. So please, let's not make claims about people being sexism simply because they say one thing about a character that you disagree with. Thanks :)

see i'm sick of the old inability to criticize a character without it being tossed aside due to gender.

i think ray isn't / wasn't but became a Mary Sue.
and that was not the Actress it was the Writers.

Personally, while I enjoy your well-built thoughts on the matter, I hate the idea that being good with a staff = being good with a lightsaber. If a lightsaber is so easy to train with, why don't other galactic militaries train their soldiers with it? We are shown time and time again through the prequels and OT that the lightsaber is a weapon of elegance, civilized combat. Its difficult to wield, etc. Hell, because its beam is weightless, using such a weapon should require serious training.

But Rey uses the lightsaber with literal zero training. In fact, had she even turned it on before her match with Kylo in TFA? Its literally her first time ever activating a lightsaber, and shes able to beat him with honestly little problem. Then, not a few days later, she uses the same lightsaber to fight several veteran throne guards and again, she survives and kills several. (I think she kills a few. Honestly, the choreography of the throne battle is so dodgy, its hard to see.)

I don't mind Rey being the main character. I really think they could of done something well with her. However, in typical big business fashion, Disney wanted the reward without the work. Its obvious that Disney is trying to build her up as a super important character and women should cling to. Hell, her hugging Leia after Han is killed while Chewie stands in the background enforces that thought process. Having her fix the falcon, a ship that is notorious for being difficult to fly and repair, is another obvious thing that Disney wanted. They wanted a strong female bad-ass that girls could look up to as they grow up, but they were strapped for time.

[member="Adenn Kyramud"]

[member="AdAstra"]

Firstly, thank you, glad to know it doesn't go to waste :) xD Second, I agree with you, and I don't believe that being good with a staff = being good with a lightsaber. Apologies if that's what it seemed like, I merely listed her abilities with the staff to compare it with Anakin and Lukes skills.

Personally, I don't think Rey had much training and shouldn't have won her fight against Kylo or those guards. Afterall, Kylo and those guards were the best of the best, but she still bested them. And yes, she killed at least two, though it's hard to see.

Valdus Bral

️ Clan Bral Alor ️| Warlord of Nellogant
Jumping into a thread that doesn't interest you just to say that it doesn't interest you is hilariously sad on its own. Just ignore the thread, it's not like you get notifications for thread updates unless you turn those on.

A man can change his stars
Its not really a debate or a discussion. This is just arguing semantics and over voicing opinions.

Some people think she is, some people think she isn't others are on the fence. And likely, it will always be that way.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Kurayami Bloodborn"]

Don't you go bringing the tranys into this Kurayami. If he wants to Mary Stu or Gary Sue or Gary Mary, he darn well can. This is America-sorta. Don't you go assuming his gender.

Rey is not a Mary Sue... Mary Sue is a Rey Palpatine. In the same way that Jumping the Shark became Nuking the Fridge in the last Indiana Jones film. It isnt simply power that makes a character a Rey Palpatine. Superman for example is extremely overpowered, but it makes sense in the context of the super hero genre. In Rey's case we are talking about a character who went from nothing to something, with no context or justification. From a narrative standpoint, she is, quite literally, the personification of poor character development. Afterall, in 1-6 training was important. But then that got cast aside because? No reasonable or well explained justification was even offered that fit into the context of the pre-existing story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom