Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Rey a Mary Sue?

[member="Beskadala Ordo"]

> Who cares about the EU?

> Also what handwavium is in place for Anakin when he trained for well over a decade if not more by a full fledged Jedi Order, including three years of warfare and was beaten in his second movie and even lost his most important fight in his third film?

Where is the handwavium? In regards to what? Do you have any actual argument here?

You've got no ground to stand on.

I had an epiphany on why some of the people here with flimsy reasons like "had no training" (neither did any of the other protagonists before they did their first big feat, like Luke destroying the death star by guiding a proton bomb with his mind through space and down a ventilation shaft, or Anakin doing literally anything from pod racing against adults or destroying a droid battlestation in space in a star fighter he'd never flown before) have so much active hatred for the newer films and Rey specifically, but then I immediately had another realization following that.

Nothing I say, or anyone else says, even if it were the boldest, most obvious, blatant truth will ever change the minds of the people holding to this argument.

Cyrus Tregessar said:
Watching dudes get triggered by Rey is why I love when this question gets brought up.
What a great addition to the discussion.

Also, Anakin being able to do all of those things is ALSO bad writing. I actually dont mind the prequels too terribly, but most people call that bad writing.

However, Rey, who has NEVER left her planet, can suddenly repair the Falcon and fly it better then Solo. That entire sentence stinks of Disney wanting so badly to have a great female protagonist but not wanting to put any of the effort necessary. I actually dont mind Rey or the actress. I hate how she is handed things in this trilogy.

[member="Braith Achlys"]

AdAstra said:
is ALSO bad writing
Yes. I agree. Star Wars has always had poor writing. That doesn't excuse its poor writing, but to praise one character/trilogy over another for the faults of one while being blind to those same issues in the other is the height of hypocrisy.

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
AdAstra said:
What a great addition to the discussion.
I wasn't really aware of much meaningful discussion to be had. At any rate, I'm mostly laughing at the guy complaining about the uh, "the constant hate and demonization thrown towards men." On the whole, it looks like we generally agree. I'm not terribly fond of the new sequel, and I hate the prequels, and in both cases its largely due to shit writing, poor directing, and just the fact that they're generally bad movies. TLJ at least tried to be different, and it works well enough as a film from scene to scene. Rey being overpowered, flat, and uninteresting, is just a symptom of the disease. TLJ also had a dramatically uncompelling and boring space-chase battle, which is kind of unforgivable.

​The only bold blatant truth to be had is that more people are excited for 30 minute spaghetti western style episodes of The Mandalorian than the new Movie coming out in about 20 days. ​

​That says enough.

​Anybody who claims rey's gender has anything to do with her popularity is just revealing themselves as a sexist. Its ridiculous, unfounded and illogical.

Braith Achlys said:
Yes. I agree. Star Wars has always had poor writing. That doesn't excuse its poor writing, but to praise one character/trilogy over another for the faults of one while being blind to those same issues in the other is the height of hypocrisy.
This conversation is about Rey. Bringing up the previous prequels has no real merit here.

Also, I wouldn't say Star Wars has poor writing in general. The OT wasn't exemplary in any way, but I don't think it was poorly written.

In comparison, TLJ has multiple chase scenes that lead absolutely nowhere (and if removed, don't affect the story at all), poorly written romantic scenes and it commits the worst sin when it comes to previously established characters: It completely changes their core values for shock value.

Its just a jarring movie. Rian wanted to make another ESB but he failed miserably.

Tathra Khaeus said:
​The only bold blatant truth to be had is that more people are excited for 30 minute spaghetti western style episodes of The Mandalorian than the new Movie coming out in about 20 days. ​

​That says enough.

​Anybody who claims rey's gender has anything to do with her popularity is just revealing themselves as a sexist. Its ridiculous, unfounded and illogical.
First, the Mandalorian is better than all 8 Star Wars movies to date and all of its animations, so that isn't really the best argument to make when it's better than both the prequels and the original trilogy.

Second, I'm actually saying that the real reason people hate Rey has little or nothing to do with the character itself. The hate is levied on Rey because of the people who own and run Lucasfilms now, as many of you have mentioned in all of your reasons to date.

"Agendas" and "ideologies". Subtlety is a forgotten art here, we all know exactly what you mean.

Braith Achlys said:
First, the Mandalorian is better than all 8 Star Wars movies to date and all of its animations, so that isn't really the best argument to make when it's better than both the prequels and the original trilogy.

Second, I'm actually saying that the real reason people hate Rey has little or nothing to do with the character itself. The hate is levied on Rey because of the people who own and run Lucasfilms now, as many of you have mentioned in all of your reasons to date.

"Agendas" and "ideologies". Subtlety is a forgotten art here, we all know exactly what you mean.
Your first argument there is personal opinion. Some might agree but others might not. The fact remains that Mandalorian is at the very least, more popular then TLJ.

I hate Rey's character because of how her character is directed and written. I could care less if KK, Lucas or GRR Martin owned and ran Lucasfilms. All I wanted was a sequel trilogy with good characters, a good storyline, and more lore. If Mandalorian has proven anything, its that getting Star Wars right is not that hard.

If you are insinuating that we would like Rey if Lucas wrote her this way, thats disingenuous.

Valdus Bral

️ Clan Bral Alor ️| Warlord of Nellogant
Anakin got his arm chopped off by Count Dooku and needless to say he lost his duel.

Luke lost his hand to Anakin (Vader) and lost his duel - a time honored family tradition.

Rey won her first lightsaber duel with superficial injuries in comparison.

Both Anakin & Luke Skywalker were trained by some of the best Jedi Masters the order had to offer. Rey on the other hand wasn't and still bested a fully trained lightsaber duelist on her first go, no serious injury to speak of.

Even we were to say that Kylo is a piss poor warrior, the reality remains that Disney gives Rey whatever she needs, when she needs it with little or no meaningful struggle. She's a poorly executed reboot of the "chosen one" and nothing I've read in this thread so far proves that wrong.

Valdus Bral said:
Anakin got his arm chopped off by Count Dooku and needless to say he lost his duel.

Luke lost his hand to Anakin (Vader) and lost his duel - a time honored family tradition.

Rey won her first lightsaber duel with superficial injuries in comparison.

Both Anakin & Luke Skywalker were trained by some of the best Jedi Masters the order had to offer. Rey on the other hand wasn't and still bested a fully trained lightsaber duelist on her first go, no serious injury to speak of.

Even with we say that Kylo is a piss poor warrior, the reality remains that Disney gives Rey whatever she needs, when she needs it with little or no meaningful struggle. She's a poorly executed reboot of the "chosen one" and nothing I've read in this thread so far proves that wrong.
Hell, not only did she beat Kylo, she beat several throne guards with no issue really. Dodging attacks and holding her own. Shes never trained with a lightsaber at all, but suddenly she can swing it around like a samurai?

I’m probably going to regret getting involved, but oh well.

To answer, there is a reasonable argument to be made that Rey is a Mary Sue, the problem is context. I wish Rey was better written – but Star Wars as a franchise (especially the movies) has often struggled with well-written main characters and there are also reasonable arguments to be made that characters like Anakin are also Mary Sue. This inevitably colours the argument surrounding Rey because the question will be asked – if this is a problem for you here, why isn’t it a problem here in this previous work?

The term Mary Sue isn’t new, it’s been around since before Star Wars was a thing. So questions are naturally going to arise on why there is a major push to identify this particular character as a sue when character who came before could also fit the bill. The answer is a combination of factors, including the tendency of the SW fan base to hate on the new era – something that’s been happening since, well, every movie after ANH.

I think one day we’ll be able to sit down and answer the question honestly, context and all, but we’re going to need a decade or so to pass and people have cooled off before we get an honest, productive discussion.

Tathra Khaeus said:

​That says enough.

To be clear, you’ve no business claiming thing to be “ridiculous, unfounded and illogical” when your argument boils down to “you’re sexist for complaining about sexism”.

It wouldn’t take you long, if you were to engage with this honestly, to find the problematic content people reference to when the talk about this. Hell, I went onto YouTube and typed in Star Wars feminism just to see what came up, maybe start there. Or just look for complaints about being woke or sjw or what have you.

Now does this meant all critique of Rey is sexist? No, it is indeed reasonable to dislike the character without regard for gender. What is inescapable, however, is that there is a dedicated and loud minority who are in fact sexist and are contributing to the push back on Rey that has made the complaints about her more severe than other main characters in Star Wars. You shouldn’t be mad at the people pointing that out, you should be mad at the people who are the actual problem and are poisoning the argument.

The Star Wars fandom has had this problem for a long time. People who act vile, who take things too far, people who are loud gatekeepers desperate to keep something for themselves and ruin it for everyone else.

You don’t solve that by deflecting and pretending it isn’t a problem.

Jor Kvall said:
Arguments in defense of Rey are now boiling down to "but the prequels and some EU books had bad writing too!"

Wow, great argument guys, you really convinced me.

This implies you are acting in good faith and are open to being convinced. Reading your comments, I think you found your hill to die on regardless of what is put forward.

As mentioned above, context matters. None of us walked into the sequel trilogy with a sterile view of Star Wars. Comparisons to other things in the franchise are going to happen, you can’t just brush them off.

Whirlwind of the Cosmic Force
[member="Soly Hone"]

Are you purposefully ignoring all the thought out arguments brought forth previous to the last page on purpose to make your argument have some validity?

Just reading posts #4, #17, #20 & #30 its clear the comment you're referring to is simply context based. Not the extent of his thoughts or even what the argument was primarily about.

Also claiming people who accuse you of sexism based solely on your gender because you dislike a female lead, is sexism. There's no doubts about that. Bringing about extremes in a conversation with nobody involved thus far who is blatantly criticising Rey solely for being female, is kinda pointless.

Also no, Anakin and Luke aren't Mary Sues. Maybe in their first movies, but both Luke and Anakin got their ass beat by superior swordsmen. There was a whole discussion earlier on how that adds to Reys dislikeable traits earlier, which you've conveniently ignored.

Azarak Drek'ma said:
[member="Soly Hone"]

Are you purposefully ignoring all the thought out arguments brought forth previous to the last page on purpose to make your argument have some validity?

Just reading posts #4, #17, #20 & #30 its clear the comment you're referring to is simply context based. Not the extent of his thoughts or even what the argument was primarily about.

Also claiming people who accuse you of sexism based solely on your gender because you dislike a female lead, is sexism. There's no doubts about that. Bringing about extremes in a conversation with nobody involved thus far who is blatantly criticising Rey solely for being female, is kinda pointless.

Also no, Anakin and Luke aren't Mary Sues. Maybe in their first movies, but both Luke and Anakin got their ass beat by superior swordsmen. There was a whole discussion earlier on how that adds to Reys dislikeable traits earlier, which you've conveniently ignored.
[member="Azarak Drek'ma"]

That depends, are you ignoring what i have written to make it seem like you have a point?

Did i say the part about sexism was that posters primary argument? No, but I did take issue with his assertions around the claim of sexism and Rey, which is why I addressed it because I found it dismissive. I find their other arguments well made, and didn't take issue with them and did not address them. That does not mean I regard it as their primary or only argument.

The problem here, however, is your insistence to place arbitrary barriers in your argument. You cannot talk about sexism or Mary Sues if you're going to ignore the wider occurrences within the fandom. You cannot argue these things if all you're going to do is start making exceptions or conveniently decide things don't count because they haven't yet happened on the thread. If you're honestly going to address the topic you have to understand where that is coming from.

That both Luke and Anakin fit the definition in their first movies is vitally important because not only has the current trilogy not yet ended, Rey hasn't had the decades of development the other two character have had. The latter of which largely had his image redeemed thanks to things like the CW cartoon. This thread does not exist in a vacuum free from outside influences, and its dishonest to pretend otherwise.

So please, don't accuse me of conveniently ignoring things when you've been doing that.

Whirlwind of the Cosmic Force
[member="Soly Hone"]

No worries about the tagging thing.

The thing is, sexism towards Rey isn't a common occurrence. There's less people who are actively prejudiced towards Rey due to Sexism than their are people being sexist towards men who dislike Rey. Social Media has spent plenty of energy portraying people who hate TLJ as bad people, when its just not the case.

Just look at all the hate thrown at The Mandalorian over its choice of a male lead, the sexism isn't aimed in the direction of women lately.

What you're pointing out is insignificant by comparison, especially on this board. Also you did say his argument boiled down to just that, maybe that's just miscommunication but his argument was much more contextual, and he's still right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom