Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHY DONT JEDI ACT LIKE JEDI HERE???

Status
Not open for further replies.
2496402.jpg

Anesia Jy'Vun said:
@[member="Teynara Jeralyr"]
While I can agree to most of what you a saying, there still does not need to be a bunch of pregnant Jedi and mass amounts of children running about do to it. [Just an example] Jedi are "people", they are allowed emotions, hiccups, and a slight sway to the Darkside every now and again. But a constant in any of that would defeat the purpose of them being Jedi. There is and has been too much doing of what does not need to be done, rather than a slip here and there. No one expects perfection. At least I don't. It takes more patience and more control to write and play something in that sense, instead of just free-balling. Note: I may need to add to this. My thoughts and words are not exactly playing nice right now.
:D
I agree: the problem with the Dark Side hiccups is that they happen way too often, tend to be way too cliche, and always end up with a perfectly 'normal' Jedi turning into a complete psycho for no reason other than they had a bad day. It's very, very bad writing, but a lot of people fall into that particular trap, sad to say.

Honestly, the trick to being Jedi is to allow emotion, but not to be attached to them: it's normal to feel happiness, anger, grief, sadness etc, but a Jedi has to be practical and focused on the task at hand: if they can't compartmentalise those feelings until later, when they have more leisure to look inward and deal with those feelings, like as not, they're going to slip, and either lose their connection to the Force (since Jedi depend on serenity and inner calm to touch the Force) or they're going to touch the Dark Side and risk losing themselves. More to the point, their judgment shall be impaired and the delicate balance of the situation they are in is likely to be compromised. All in all, not good.

As such, the Jedi have to do three things:
- Learn their own emotional 'triggers', and work out how best to control them so that they are not so easily provoked
- Compartmentalise their emotions when they are focused on a given situation, storing up their feelings for when they have time to focus on them (i.e. in the calm serenity of the Jedi Temple, for example)
- Stay true to their ideology: use that inner tranquility to offer rational perspective and ensure that they act on reason and not emotional provocation. The Universe will invariably seek to tick you off. Don't allow it to (and therefore, no cutting off heads!)

Here's the big distinction to note: Lucas talks of Jedi Detachment, but what he has them preaching is NON-ATTACHMENT: don't get attached to anything, because emotional states are a distraction, and impair judgement. Can't expect a guy with a wife and kids to place the lives of strangers above those of his family when they're endangered. It wouldn't happen. Jedi should, however, live via Detachment: this is the state of having attachments but freeing oneself from their control element, if you will, essentially letting you form relationships and have things, but being able to give them up or compartmentalise them so that they hold no control over you when your judgment requires that you be focused and rational rather than emotional and defensive. It's the act of letting go without dispossessing yourself: you can have kids and a spouse, but when the time comes to make a decision, you put the greater good first, and everything else...off it goes.

@[member="Spencer Jacobs"] *hugs*

Break said:
im not telling you how to play... im just saying i wanted to be a Jedi so bad and then i see this im just dissapointed is all... And im not saying i dont love your characters cuz i love @[member="Sarge Potteiger"] and i love all of the people on here its just there is no...idk how to put it...GOOD left in the jedi its like i said just two wizards havin a pissin contest or whatnot
Well then, play your Jedi your way, move up the ladder, take over the Order, and prove to everyone you were right and they were wrong! Simple enough!

@[member="Jack Sparrow"] i love you but im making my own faction as soon as i have the time and i have a good way to write the rules and junk but for now I just thought i would let people be aware.

If you look at this character, Avy Valla, she is what one could consider a specific type of Jedi. Her back story is filled with hardships that I've seen other people in their bios justify as the reason for them falling to the Dark Side. I put this hardships into the character because it forms whom she is. Avy Valla is a Jedi, however she is a motherly Jedi. She makes attachments with the Jedi Younglings, just as a motherly guardian or elderly sister would with a younger sibling or child.

More than anything if I found someone that was a perfect fit for Avy then I would consider her in a relationship. For the most part she personally stays away from relationships because of her conviction to the order and her duty. At the same time she looks at relationships and connections not as a pitfall or potential push towards the Dark Side. For Avy and personally for myself, I look at these connections as more of a strengthening of the Light Side.

Throughout the history of the Jedi Order we constantly see Jedi making these deep attachments and relationships. Additionally while the no marriage for Jedi was part of the Old Order, it was also not that old. Only about 2000 years while the history of the Jedi Order stretches back much further. If you watch the Clone Wars series you also see that the characters are shown more humanity in them more than the RL movies did.

You see how much Ashoka cares for her master Anakin, as well as how much she cares for Plo Koon whom discovered her. Secura and Kit Fisto are also known to have had a long relationship until their deaths. Obi Wan had multiple love interests and in the show he even tells the Dutchess of Mandalore that had she asked, he would have left the Order for her so they could be together.

Personally I look at the no attachments and no marriage as being a tool to strip away the humanity of the Jedi. It's meant to make them this paradox of beings whom are supposed to show compassion and caring without being allow to care or show compassion for someone close. Additionally as it was pointed out, much of the records were destroyed or lost during Palpatine's purge, which left Luke Skywalker the duty of rebuilding the Order based on how he was trained and what little documents he was able to find. So for the New Order it wasn't considered against the code for the Jedi to Marry.

There was even a large showing for Luke and Mara's wedding because it was the Grandmaster of the Jedi Order marrying one of Palpatine's Hands of the Emperor. So in that the marriage was both due to the couple loving one another and was also symbolic as well. To say that the Jedi on the board aren't Jedi doesn't make sense. This is mainly because there have been so many times when the Jedi haven't been cookie cutter Jedi. We see this during the wars between the Old Republic and Sith Empire and during the Clone Wars. The Jedi were forced into roles of warriors when the vast majority were peace keepers and scholars.

A Jedi is what the character is made out to be. That is why there are so many specialties in the Jedi Order. You have Guardians whom have specialties just for them. Same with the Consulars and Sentinels. Because a Jedi just isn't one thing. They are multiple things just as there are a myriad of species that can become Jedi.

@[member="Avy Valla"] I can see where you are coming from. You are right and wrong at the same time. but so are many people, just as i am right now. this post was my opinion of the Jedi order as a whole being corrupt on the basis that "its more fun to write this way so to hell with the rules" and i can seriously go on for days just pointing out instances where jedi have done just that. But there are exceptions to that as well with any broad statement. I do not expect to see jedi be a souless shell of a person. what i expect is to see more of a conflict in them as they do so however. Ive read all too often a jedi killing an enemy rather than taking them into custody where that was not the norm. Luke skywalkers order was much different than this order in itself as well mr @[member="Antares Windu"], something that i will not go into because i would be typing here for hours.

but from what i see from this jedi order so far is, Wrath, Lust, Warmongering, Genocide and Greed. and none of those fit the jedi code at all. im making a new Faction for the jedi and i hope we can work together and learn from each other in the future.

I don't think you understand that Luke Skywalker encouraged emotions. So I'm not sure what you're saying lol.

No Jedi has done warmongering except Matsu Ike from what I can understand. But what greed? Besides, there will always be that group that will not just let a Sith survive.

But yet, you say warmongering? Wrath? Have you read any of the invasions, like really? All of the Jedi before they fight do Form Zero. And Form Zero requires them being diplomatic about the situation before engaging in combat. From what I've seen every single Jedi is a good Jedi.

@[member="Break"]

@[member="Antares Windu"] as i said in my own experience. you may be different as i think you may be a jedi? i however am not...im pretty neutral and a droid. and its scary to see a jedi start writing about how he will rip you limb from limb. and yes ive been in a few invasions. and the one fight i was in was against a jedi. and while im not fond of sith either my idea of both is that sith are acting like sith. the jedi act like really pissed of jedi even when they are in a good mood.

that being said i like most of the jedi ive met and i dont in any way dislike the characters they are or the writers who made them

@[member="Antares Windu"]

Antares Windu said:
I don't think you understand that Luke Skywalker encouraged emotions. So I'm not sure what you're saying lol.

No Jedi has done warmongering except Matsu Ike from what I can understand. But what greed? Besides, there will always be that group that will not just let a Sith survive.

But yet, you say warmongering? Wrath? Have you read any of the invasions, like really? All of the Jedi before they fight do Form Zero. And Form Zero requires them being diplomatic about the situation before engaging in combat. From what I've seen every single Jedi is a good Jedi.

@[member="Break"]
and for the Form Zero...HA! HAHAHAHAHA...hahahaha... thats like what if i sneeze i have the right to die?

I'm not sure who you're talking about saying they're ripping someone limb from limb. But okay. Besides, you shouldn't call out people on their actions.

Anyway. In EU something happened to deal with Jedi warmongering. And that was for the Republic to exile the Jedi Grandmaster, Luke Skywalker. I don't remember what happened, but the rest of the Order went to be exiled with him to search for something. I forget though, I know it involved the Lost Tribe of the Sith, or was in the same series.

But that barely has any relevance.

And, you obviously don't know what Form Zero if you're saying that. But since you're obviously misinformed about Jedi Conduct, let me explain a little bit.

Form Zero is meant to be used diplomatically. It's meant to be used before you even draw a weapon, or even attack. It is meant to be used to teach a Jedi to assess a situation before acting.

tl;dr

Don't call out people.
You don't know little, if anything about the Jedi.
Learn Form Zero.
Don't make a new Jedi faction lol

Thank you for reading Megaman.

@[member="Break"]

Jonathon Patches said:
Without inner conflict, and completely cutting off their emotions, you have a hollow, husk of a sentient being.
I do this and find it entertaining. However, Selena is extreme in her lack of emotion.

Break said:
Obi wan was a good character Mace windu? how about Yoda? maybe Ashoka? they arent emotionless. they have conflict
You just described most of the Jedi on this board. Very few deal in the darkside, and those that do get punished.

Break said:
We expand because we must? thats not jedi at all! you forget you are MONKS you arent real knights under the queen or republic you are MONKS and monks who are supposed to be content with peace. AND MAYBE IF YOU WERENT SUCH A FETHING HUGE FACTION you would have more opposition. MAKING OPPOSITION FOR FUNS SAKE IS A SITH THING NOT A JEDI THING.
We aren't expanding because we must. The Republic is expanding. The Jedi are dealing with darksiders or lending aid to people. We do not look for enemies, just react to those that exist. The Fringe likely being the next. Not because we are looking for them but because they have a ton of darksiders.

Spencer Jacobs said:
To be honest - pretty sure in most cases the Jedi "Fight" the Sith to "defend" what they believe all of this is based on what people perceive as good and evil.

Bingo.

Break said:
then yoda is a bad character? mace windu? obi wan? Ashoka? all of those would be boring characters?
Once again. Those are how most people RP Jedi. What they're addressing is the perception that Jedi must be absolutely hollow. Which given your lack of specifics as to what your beef is that may be WHY they're addressing that normal line of thought than whatever you're complaining about, because honestly you've not been clear.

Anesia Jy'Vun said:
There is no argument here, he has an opinion and most of them are correct. There are not many, if any at all, that fall into the traditional criteria of a Jedi.

I think your understanding of traditional is flawed.

Anesia Jy'Vun said:
While I can agree to most of what you a saying, there still does not need to be a bunch of pregnant Jedi and mass amounts of children running about do to it.
There aren't.

Anesia Jy'Vun said:
Jedi are "people", they are allowed emotions, hiccups, and a slight sway to the Darkside every now and again. But a constant in any of that would defeat the purpose of them being Jedi. There is and has been too much doing of what does not need to be done, rather than a slip here and there

We do handle these kinds of things.

All of this complaints lacks specifics. As usual. Which is why this is a monstrous waste of time. It is complaining statement without anything behind it.
"Jedi aren't being Jedi."
"Where are they acting wrong?"
"They're not being Jedi."
"How?"
"They're just not acting like it."
/thread

I'm honestly quite done with this nonsensical lines of thought UNTIL someone says something with an iota of specifics behind it to ACTUALLY explain a problem, not just declare one. kkthnxbai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom