Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHY DONT JEDI ACT LIKE JEDI HERE???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veevleigh

Pink Perfumed Slicer Waif
@[member="Spencer Jacobs"] When I say 'real Jedi', I said in inverted commas because the term is silly. But I imagine people mean those very emotionless, brown robed, generic council Jedi with no personalities we saw in The Phantom Menace.

Lol, I understand, but I'm trying to keep the discussion going personally because I'm curious and I feel asking this question will prove to everyone including the OP that -Jedi are left to our own interpretation- Essentially like how people interpret what is good and what is evil

Because to the heart of the conversation that is the true question. What do you interpret good as? What do you interpret evil as? @[member="Rainbow Flowers"]

#sodeep

Veevleigh

@[member="Spencer Jacobs"] I get what you mean. I do have opinions on certain things that don't seem very Jedi-like. For example, I was never that keen on Mace Windu as a character. He always seemed too aggressive for a Jedi. 'This party's over!' always felt very wrong for a Jedi to say. I always felt that Jedi basically do the right thing and take the high road all the time, but how they do that can be in any shape and form.

Obviously, my opinion isn't 'right' because, hey, Mace Windu >.>.

Growing up...me dad always said: Opinions are like buttholes - errybody got one. LOL Your opinion isn't wrong - its your opinion :) That saying I won't stand for bashing, disagreeing sure but bashing. I look forward to the discussion :D @[member="Rainbow Flowers"]

Hmm... Just for shits and giggles: Why not create a faction with such rules, with consequences... or something of the like for Jedi that are more... traditional? Mayhaps it will be a breathe of fresh air for some. Not many are up for that type of challenge. It takes more control to write a Jedi as such. People take the easy and "fun" way more often than not. Just my opinion...

Also, this kind of thing is everywhere, not just here. You catch more flies with honey, than vinegar ;)

@[member="Spencer Jacobs"] @[member="Rainbow Flowers"]

then yoda is a bad character? mace windu? obi wan? Ashoka? all of those would be boring characters? really thats a real crock of Sith. i keep hearing that "its no fun to be a jedi if i have to follow the code" if so you arent a jedi. you are a force user. a well trained one but no hero, no anti hero just someone who never learned great power comes with great responsibility.

Would you consider me a Sith if i did good things???

Break said:
@[member="Spencer Jacobs"] @[member="Rainbow Flowers"]

then yoda is a bad character? mace windu? obi wan? Ashoka? all of those would be boring characters? really thats a real crock of Sith. i keep hearing that "its no fun to be a jedi if i have to follow the code" if so you arent a jedi. you are a force user. a well trained one but no hero, no anti hero just someone who never learned great power comes with great responsibility.

Would you consider me a Sith if i did good things???
No, no character is a bad character. They [many of the Jedi on any board] are just... not traditional. If you want traditional, do traditional. Personally, I would love to see more of it. [I know that wasn't @ me.]

@[member="Break"] please provide some argument to your claims. You're just throwing out names and attacking opinions. If you want to have a discussion please provide something that we can build off of. You're also being very black and white. To a Sith doing something that pushes them ahead of the game is "good to them". How I like to think of it as the Jedi are very group based ideal where the Sith are very self based.

Veevleigh

@[member="Break"] That's not what I said... What I said is what people think of as 'stereotypical Jedi' is the super boring one. I wouldn't call any of those characters you listed actual stereotypical Jedi. I think when people think of the stereotype, they think of the really bland and boring character type.

Which I'm not saying is right. It's silly.

There is no argument here, he has an opinion and most of them are correct. There are not many, if any at all, that fall into the traditional criteria of a Jedi. He is just going about this the wrong way /sigh
@[member="Spencer Jacobs"] @Break @Rainbow Flowers

The problem with Jedi is that they ultimately had never intended to become peacekeepers and mediators, but were instead dedicated to their studies of the Force: essentially a monastic order that later moved into more practical drives by virtue of need on behalf of the Galaxy as a whole, and (obviously), as a counter-response to the existence of the Sith, who sought to use their powers to obtain power, rather than merely to gain insight and understanding. Do bear in mind: the notion of peaceful existence and harmony with the Force is a little at odds with the violent, bloody, politically-driven nature of a chaotic Galaxy.

We all have the understanding (and it's flawed, I might add) that Jedi maintain non-attachment (this being separate from Detachment: well done to George Lucas screwing that one up!), suppress emotions (which they realistically don't), aim for peaceful conflict resolution (which Jedi on the board most definitely don't!) and seek to provide guidance, advice and aid to those who need it. Jedi seek understanding of the Force by seeking serenity within their own minds, surrendering themselves to the Force by pushing aside ego and attachment, becoming vessels for the Will of the Force. Sadly, that's a very difficult thing to achieve with blood and chaos around you.

Be honest: isn't the politically-heavy, incredibly violent and chaotic Galaxy that the Jedi work in likely to push emotional boundaries? Subjected to horror, violence, atrocity and vice, all sentient beings would find it hard to maintain their self-control effectively. Jedi would find it difficult to maintain that benevolent neutrality: ultimately you find Jedi like Mace Windu being lauded as the ideal. Jedi with that classical emotional restraint (this idea of being the calm in the centre of the storm) combined with strength in the Force and ridiculous capabilities with a lightsaber. The real truth, though? That's not being a Jedi: that's being a Jedi forced into war and violence, when reflection and contemplation should be the key to their psyche. Moreover, the idea of Jedi being peacekeepers (providing aid to those unable to stand up to violence) is not a Jedi principle: it's a role they've been forced into by society, because they have the powers of a battlecruiser without the sheer destructive force, and the judgement to restrain themselves. They're an excellent peacekeeping force, but that's not what Jedi do: it requires them to interfere and, ultimately, to use force when diplomacy fails. This is not their way.

Why do writers here not act like Jedi? Because most writers don't act like Jedi in peacetime: they started writing Jedi as depicted in war and conflict. Most of Star Wars only shows Jedi at these times - is it surprising that the Jedi Order is now a forceful arm for the conquesting Republic? Nope. Because the majority of Jedi you've seen (both Skywalkers, Kenobi, Windu, Yoda etc) have all been observed during wartime. Their peacetime role, the contemplative, aid-providing, guidance-offering Jedi aren't much seen, and always depicted as likely to be the first to drop when the firefight starts. Hard to see proper Jedi: they don't exist here.

Im not attacking anyone in particular my question was why dont they. not that they should [however i believe that the amount of people that can manipulate space and spew lightning from their fingertips would be reduced if they had to!] and im not being black and white im saying that said characters even being more liberal to the jedi code are still viable styles to play like. and that people take that to extremes

@[member="High Prophet Dredge"] I might be interested depending on the details(you can message me those if you want to do something) , my guy isn't ready to do anything big yet though.

Jedi codes vary from the periods of galactic history. Read something that occurs after the explosion of the second Death Star and you will find this to be true.

Sorry (extremely) late post.

@[member="Teynara Jeralyr"] ... thank you... thats all i wanted to know and that gives me more understanding. im going to make a jedi character and make the beformentioned faction with the old jedi code and live by those words and make a character like the ideal jedi i think should exist :)

@[member="Teynara Jeralyr"]

While I can agree to most of what you a saying, there still does not need to be a bunch of pregnant Jedi and mass amounts of children running about do to it. [Just an example] Jedi are "people", they are allowed emotions, hiccups, and a slight sway to the Darkside every now and again. But a constant in any of that would defeat the purpose of them being Jedi. There is and has been too much doing of what does not need to be done, rather than a slip here and there. No one expects perfection. At least I don't. It takes more patience and more control to write and play something in that sense, instead of just free-balling. Note: I may need to add to this. My thoughts and words are not exactly playing nice right now.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom