Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Lore The Chained Tome

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Chained Tome

RCsm7nM.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To create the greatest Sith Holocron, full of whatever its various owners put into it.
  • Image Source: Here.
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Permissions: N/A
  • Links: N/A
GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Holocron Name: The Chained Tome
  • Alignment: Dark Side
  • Origin: Darth Maliphant
  • Affiliation:
  • Gatekeeper:
    • The holocron appears to each person somewhat uniquely based on their personality and aesthetic choices. In addition, the gatekeeper that presents themselves will also choose a form pleasing to their senses, or otherwise what they unknowingly wish for it to be as. For those hoping to respect the device, something more akin to an aged Sith Lord with wisdom littering every aspect of his tone, for those seeking to search its depths, perhaps a more youthful guide with excitement in their voice. The options are entirely limitless, and up to the discretion of the user - whether they know it or not.
  • Description:
    • Every person chained to the tome is able to not only pull knowledge from its depths, but add to it at will. With up to five servants to the holocron at any given time, this allows various sith lords to instantly discuss, transfer, and otherwise debate sith related knowledge in all aspects; including dossiers on various other force users situated throughout the galaxy. There is no limit to what can be put in, categorized, or otherwise implanted into its endless depths for later usage.

A serious advantage of the holocron over others, is its ability to appear and disappear at will of its creators; albeit through the use of the alchemized metal store in their hearts. These are connected to the main holocron, but work slightly different than a regular holocron. Summoning the device, its various users will witness their personalized version of the 'metaphysical' holocron manifest before them, opening, with a personalized gatekeeper summoned to meet them. The technical aspects of the device mean it can be summoned at any time with little strain on the user, while this metaphysical nature makes it impossible to actively steal from one of those chained to it without their ritualistic consent. This is because it is not a true holocron, but rather the connection to one.

With extreme knowledge, comes the endless desire to write one's knowledge inside the device. From beginning until end, its purpose is to hold the entirety of sith knowledge and it does this by coaxing those chained to its depths to actively impart their knowledge every chance it can get. This weakness adds to its depths, but the danger comes in falling too far into the addictive folds of handing over ones knowledge. For those too vested in it, even meditating inside its chambers for seemingly weeks on end, they'll find themselves eventually unable to leave; forever a librarian in the endless expanse of knowledge inside its gilded halls.

DEFENSES
  • Accessibility
    • The device known as 'The Chained Tome' is accessible by the means of its namesake - by chaining ones self to the infinite librarium that expands within its dream like pocket realm. To access it, a Sith will be given a small metal orb - manufactured by Darth Maliphant himself - and told to meditate with it. Historically, this has been given as a suprise to those found worthy, but has since become a more concerted effort to collect the vast knowledge of the Force under one source.

When the recipient meditates with the Orb, a rather painful ritual will occur. This orb, placed carefully in the palm, will turn to a seemingly sentient liquid. This suddenly alive metal forces itself under the skin with a single purpose - to envelop the heart of the individual. To make home where the Soul lays, and to create a bond between the user, and the Tome. This is the process of the Chaining, and should one survive - it will open them up to every facet of The Chained Tome's internal sphere; with the only restriction left being the more detailed ones implaced by Sith Lords own additions.

The last level of 'control' the Tome has, is the individuals ability to restrict the information they put into the Tome. This ensures that whatever it is, they have the fluid ability to protect themselves, and secrets they believe are too dangerous to be left to the public. Being a more personal form of security, it changes depending on the person - but more often, it is simply the Gatekeeper's duty to enact the will of its users, in both protection and realization of knowledge.
  • Security
    • While there is an initial danger to the connection to the Tome, there isn't much in place to protect itself through its remote access points. Generally, the Gatekeeper senses will, alignment, and the acceptance of Darth Maliphant into the fold - and should all those line up, it will not kill the heart of the user; but rather accept it. Once accepted however, it can not be undone, by Maliphant or otherwise - and only by the user themselves.

The central holocron however, The Chained Tome itself, is inaccessible to all but Maliphant - since it holds every facet of knowledge in itself. Controlling the base form of the Tome allows one to access regardless of restriction, to the Gatekeeper ensures any that are not worthy receive swift and dangerous punishment for stepping past their boundaries. That doesn't mean it can not be counteracted, but it does mean that the Tome is fully capable of defending itself using all the knowledge within, to stop any would be invaders and looters from its vast reservoir.
CONTENTS

HISTORICAL INFORMATION

The Chained Tome;
The magnum opus of viable holocrons offered to the dark side monoliths that be, the artifact has been gifted to some of the most notorious sith lords around the galaxy. In doing this, a small instruction has been given on how to attach the device to oneself, and how to pass it off to the next should the user ever choose; all covered in detail further on. In its depths it holds a massive ‘realm’ interconnected between the hearts and souls of those connected; effectively the most private institution that will ever be, made for their enjoyment and scholarly pursuits.
In chaining yourself to the tome, one must meditate with one of the first five 'shards' made, letting its form inject itself into the skin and make room for a variable amounts of technology that slowly inserts itself into the skin; mixing a certain amount created to impart its power into the chosen masters. While doing so, the shard will warp and shudder, eventually digging itself into the skin and hiding away inside the skin of its user; being able to be seen by sensors and the force sensitive due to its latent power. A terrifying experience, and one met with pain, it quickly dissipates as the knowledge to summon it is quickly given to its user with little effort. To transfer the artifact works much the same way, trading blood through twin cuts to allow the device to move from one bloodstream to another, passing off its endless gift. This must be done with consent in mind, and is nigh impossible to steal without previous acceptance of transfer.
The one downside of the connection is its almost lustful pressure to impart knowledge into its folds; filling its depths with knowledge untold. To avoid this after the consecration, would lead to a disturbing itch inside the skull, constant and unavoidable; but getting lost in its depths is no different. While it pressures those into writing more into its endless folds, for those who spend decades within there comes a point where their regular body will waste away and they are forever to be kept wandering those halls and greeting the next masters to be. A dangerous lesson in the pursuit of knowledge, over time the halls will be filled with those who seek power for all eternity, idly helping or ignoring the next generation.
Once imprinted on the master however, the device can be accessed in two ways; one a summon, and one a meditation. The first is relatively simple, simply extending the hand and watching as a unique version of the holocron forms in the palm, quietly whirring as it opens and offers them a glimpse at a semi-unique gatekeeper designed from their own subconscious mind. This first method allows a more conventional means of access, despite the summoning, to explore its depths. The gatekeeper allows full access to its depths without fully submerging themselves in its halls, allowing users to speak to them of various locks on information and otherwise restricted information with the chance of unlocking them. Other than this, it can bring forth as much knowledge as the user requires, imparting it both through the force or verbally if so chosen.
The second method is more inclusive, immersing the master into a hall full of knowledge seen only by the very few and elite. To access this, the user must meditate with this place in mind before being ‘transported’ to its interior. Inside, the compendium is aesthetically similar to ancient sith temples with electrum-esque gilds and accents contrasting much of the obsidian like stone. The library is evershifting in its depths, but simply thinking of the various rooms within allows one to traverse it easily; however this ability is restricted to those who actively are imprinted with it in their blood. To anyone seeking to piggyback off the meditation through mind magics would find themselves perpetually lost in its depths, should they make the mistake of attempting to infiltrate it.
There are two major areas of the library, the first being the various library sections dedicated to either contributors or subjects, depending on thoughts involved. With time going a mere fraction of the time of reality, finding yourself lost in an entire section of the library at will is a common feat, reading more and more information as wished. This can be done either ‘physically’ for items restricted from force transfers of knowledge, or simply imparted should the contributor have allowed for such things. Every user connected is given their own section, to which they can customize and alter it in every aspect. From the aesthetic to the information involved, to the security involved in locking their information, the only thing they can not do is harm another user while inside this meditative chamber.
The second major area, is the main forum. This area is a shared inclusive ‘lounge’ that allows users connected to speak to one another whenever both are inside the meditative chamber. With time going slow, this allows a proverbial millenia to discuss theories, ideas, or otherwise various discussions for anyone connected at any given point. The only restriction, using The Force; although every aspect of the forum is made up of the force there is no use of the force within its depths. This means no harm can be done to other users, as all ill intent is met with forcible stops imparted by the gatekeeper.
Last, the gatekeeper involved has one core personality and helps all those connected, known as Raziel in all forms. Their emotionless personality is flat when spoken to directly, and to compensate most forms taken by the gatekeeper are copied from the subconscious of its users and tailored to them specifically. In addition, the gatekeeper is entirely neutral and takes no sides with any of those connected, nor the person who created it. It imparts only what it sees fit, and no more; its own god in the illusionary ever shifting realm of The Chained Tome.
While there is a master copy of the device, it is not so easily taken. The item is kept with the creator, as of right now, and serves as the direct connection between all the various shards around the galaxy. In it, it contains the very physical nature of the device, and any 'master commands' uttered through its depths. These can only be done through this master copy, making it a viable target for any connected or otherwise interested in the artifacts nature.
Overall, the artifact is the next step in pushing the limits of sith magic, effectively allowing almost instant transfer of knowledge between various Sith who find its archives useful for their purposes. For whatever its depths hold, it offers the future of the sith a bright archive for use for centuries to come.

Last edited:
The Slave said:
Name: The Chained Tome
This is one of those technicalities, but per the joint Codex-Factory Rule #4, template fields cannot be removed. If you would add the "Model" field (which is basically the same as the "name" field here.

The Slave said:
Material: Metaphysical, varying dependent entirely on who summons it.
I'm guessing this is the appearance? What are the actual physical properties or material of this submission?

The Slave said:
Complete copy of The Skull of Mythos
Is there some IC evidence or OOC permission from Mythos to have this included here?

The Slave said:
Various excerpts from Bestia's Holocron
Same with this (except permission from the writer of Alric Kuhn).

Gir Quee said:
This is one of those technicalities, but per the joint Codex-Factory Rule #4, template fields cannot be removed. If you would add the "Model" field (which is basically the same as the "name" field here.
While I assume you mean five, I actually didn't change the template for the "Archives & Artifacts" Template. At least, I don't think I did, but I'll look back and cross reference them here in a second.

Gir Quee said:
I'm guessing this is the appearance? What are the actual physical properties or material of this submission?
Technically, none besides the runic metal used when the device first makes its ritualistic connection with the owner. Everything for when it forms is just pretend metals that look like others, and feel like many more.

Gir Quee said:
Is there some IC evidence or OOC permission fromMythos to have this included here?
This is from The Slave owning The Skull of Mythos actually, and simply transfering over the knowledge. Would you prefer some OOC permission to include this?

Gir Quee said:
Same with this (except permission from the writer of Alric Kuhn).
This came from when The Slave learned off the holocron, hense not a complete copy of it. This was done from Vrak Nashar training him, but I can't find the thread now.

[member="Gir Quee"]

The Slave said:
While I assume you mean five, I actually didn't change the template for the "Archives & Artifacts" Template. At least, I don't think I did, but I'll look back and cross reference them here in a second.
I do apologize, I was thinking of the Basic Template. You're right on this, I'm wrong.

The Slave said:
Technically, none besides the runic metal used when the device first makes its ritualistic connection with the owner. Everything for when it forms is just pretend metals that look like others, and feel like many more.
The metal should be listed here.

The Slave said:
This is from The Slave owning The Skull of Mythos actually, and simply transfering over the knowledge. Would you prefer some OOC permission to include this?
Proof of ownership OOC would work for this.

The Slave said:
This came from when The Slave learned off the holocron, hense not a complete copy of it. This was done from Vrak Nashar training him, but I can't find the thread now.

Alric Kuhn has confirmed this for you, so you are set for this as far as I'm concerned.

[member="The Slave"], I haven't forgotten about this, I was just doing some research and consulting with other people.

I have not been able to find an artifact that has this "metaphysical" nature to it, which is compounded by the fact that holocrons seem to rely on exclusively on physically existing crystals to contain information.

In many ways, this reminds me of the Black Books and Apocrypha in the Elder Scrolls series. If that's the case, there's nothing wrong with getting inspiration from different sources, but there should be some solid consistency so that it matches with what is known in the Star Wars universe (or real life if applicable). This falls into the area of "All submissions need to conform to the general idea of Star Wars".

What I need from you is an idea of where we can find something similar to the "metaphysical" properties of this submission in the Star Wars universe. A wookieepedia article, reference to a book, or some other explanation of this metaphysical nature that connects it to what's already known about Star Wars. This can be an extrapolation of existing technology or force technique (I have approved propeller-driven spaceships for example based on an obscure reference).

[member="Gir Quee"]

Sure, I can rationalize it.

So, the item works through a conduit in the heart; this initial piece of metal used to focus all energies utilized by the user for it. Consider this the 'peer to peer' standard between the group, allowing the transfer from seeding and leeching information from each copy to the 'whole'; doing this through the force is seen through powers such as battle meditation, telepathy, and more. This also have a technologic precedent in the Mind Prison's utilized by the rakatan, but I didn't reference them in its creation because their tech is obviously banned. The metaphysical 'summoning' of the artifact isn't as easily explainable, but follows more in suit with how the dark side is very viable to forge things like spears, nets, ghouls, traps, tendrils, and more.

Although, the wording is different; being that most sith creations through the force are 'dark' or made of 'shadows', I put this one as whatever the person in question believes they should see. This means that while viable the item itself is just the physical manifestation of dark side energies like the Darkshear or Tendrils, illusion magic could easily account for what many in the area would be seeing overlaying the 'holocron'. Theres a number of ways to rationalize it in regards to this.

If you'd like, I'm more than willing to edit certain parts of the submission to make this more viable. I hope my explanation however, gave you a bit more confidence in the submission as a whole and its place in star wars.

[member="The Slave"], the mind prison certainly helps with the idea of it being a separate realm so to speak. I can also pretty easily accept that it could look different to anyone who sees it: that seems to clearly be possibly given Sith Illusion magic.

I think the major stumbling block for this is the lack of its physical nature. The closest things that we see to this in canon (typical holocrons and the Mind Prison) are both physical objects. The other things you've mentioned appeared to mostly be forms of energy as far as I can tell. The Sith Shadow-ghoul seems to be the exception to this, but I'm not as sure about if it's really something like summoning or some variation of the Force Power Phase.

As a suggestion, I think we could get this to pass if the chained tome had satellite holocrons. Perhaps there is a master copy of it somewhere, while individuals have access to a small crystal (or shard of it) that allows them to access the main, master copy. This prevents individuals from outright stealing it or deleting it through their portal crystal, but it does mean that someone could potentially seize or destroy the main holocron.

[member="Gir Quee"]

I understand. I updated the ending of it to better encompass that idea, adding a master copy of the device to serve as the mainframe for the others. That way there is at least some semblance of 'physicality' to the holocron, for at least storage purposes.

Excellent, we can get this going then.

The Slave said:
A serious advantage of the holocron over others, is its ability to appear and disappear at will of its creators. Summoning the device, its various users will witness their personalized version of the metaphysical holocron manifest before them, opening, with a personalized gatekeeper summoned to meet them.
If you'll edit this to reflect that the individuals have their own, physical holocrons that connect to the main one. If they have some sort of force power to make them phase or some other way to disappear, that's fine, but this shouldn't be an inherent function of the submission itself.

The Slave said:
Once imprinted on the master however, the device can be accessed in two ways; one a summon, and one a meditation. The first is relatively simple, simply extending the hand and watching as a unique version of the holocron forms in the palm, quietly whirring as it opens and offers them a glimpse at a semi-unique gatekeeper designed from their own subconscious mind.
Same thing here.

Gir Quee said:
A serious advantage of the holocron over others, is its ability to appear and disappear at will of its creators. Summoning the device, its various users will witness their personalized version of the metaphysical holocron manifest before them, opening, with a personalized gatekeeper summoned to meet them.
While I edited this, I am curious.

Essentialy the idea is for a connection to the main holocron to exist, sort of like a remote windows operating system. The 'appearence' and 'dissapearence' of the device would be more in line with what was state before, that it is simply an illusion based 'holocron' appearing through the metal conduit stored in their heart. Its the conduit that does the illusion, and manifestation, but those are mostly flavor items for the cool factor.

Are you saying you want this changed? I mean, I can, it was just one of the things I'd of preferred to keep, and I want to make sure we're on the same page.

[member="Gir Quee"]

[member="The Slave"], the analogy I'm thinking of is something like a server hosting a website with multiple users accessing the website through their personal computers. The main holocron is the server. The satellite holocrons that the people possess are the personal computers.

I don't see the shards making "virtual computers" per se. I think that at some level, there needs to be some sort of physical hardware for this to work. There needs to be something that can store the temporarily store the data for viewing or uploading to the main holocron. There also needs to be something that can transmit this data across the galaxy to wherever the main holocron is. Otherwise, we're talking about the ability of people to simultaneously and reliably store and transmit high amounts of data using their minds over hundreds or thousands of light years. I do not think that the Force works this way.

[member="Gir Quee"]

If a mini crystal lattice similiar to a larger holocron was added into the shards after forming inside someone, would this suffice?

Keeping the ritualistic transfer, appearance and disappearance, are more so flavor things that help add depth and personality to the artifact, and something I'd like to keep. If not, that's fine.

[member="The Slave"], I'm entirely okay with the idea of variable appearances.

The issue is with the size of the "shards" or "satellite holocron". The issue is with the size of the physical device needed to do that computing and transmission. It's probably going to be more sizeable than a few shards. The closest canon thing is a miniaturized hypercomm made by Warthan's Wizards, which was the size of a small box. This is just the transmitter, not the data storage area. I think that because of this, we're talking about something of similar size or roughly the size of a typical holocron.

If you wanted to make this something that had to be inserted into the wearer to make it very difficult to steal, that'd be fine by me.

[member="Gir Quee"]

What about dispersing a holocron into subjects through the ritual? These things would find places and form through a painful process that involved rearranging organs/muscle fibers for the various aspects, effectively making the holocron just outside the usual 'holocron' idea. Making a person into a walking holocron, sorta.

Effectively allowing the ritual to be maintained, but still allow it to fit into the realm of reason.

[member="The Slave"], I'm not sure if I follow. Do you mean putting the various physical components inside of the person(almost like a cyborg)? Or something more biologically based, like turning part of the body itself into the holocron?

If it's the first, I don't see an issue with it.

For the second, I'd like to see some sort of canon-based research to back this idea up. The hardest part of this (again) will be having a means to transmit large amounts of information across the galaxy.

[member="Gir Quee"]

I meant the technological point, but still wanted to do it through the same initial ritual if thats already. Just force activating the device to move itself through the body to certain places. I mentioned it in the first paragraph, if that's alright.

[member="The Slave"], the concept works for me. If you'll make note that these are pretty large "shards", easily noticeable if close to the skin and capable of being found by sensors, we should be set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom