Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Staff Large signatures disabled.

Its not 200px, only 190px, the 195px is too big already. Tefka Tefka

Edit: 190px is still too big, it cut of the bottom of the picture.

That was the 200px when I delete everything else and I kept only this picture:
unknown.png

Fiolette Fortan

F
Yeah, mine were all on the money at 200px in height (they was chopped), I just adjusted them in the signature settings to 180 to get it to fit properly.

That is because the forum template reserves some pixels for spacing. Here, I've created a diagram, hopefully this should help people adjust their sigs.
WpqYSRJ.png
12+170+4+14=199 and I might have missed a pixel when measuring, so it is 200, but we lose about 16-17 pixels due to how the CSS template formats things.

EDIT: My personal suggestion would be to increase the limit to 220, to account for the unusable space.

Lord Moloch

L
That is because the forum template reserves some pixels for spacing. Here, I've created a diagram, hopefully this should help people adjust their sigs.
WpqYSRJ.png
12+170+4+14=199 and I might have missed a pixel when measuring, so it is 200, but we lose about 16-17 pixels due to how the CSS template formats things.

Ya boi just laid down the science for us! Something about this diagram is the most pleasing thing I have ever seen on Chaos.

Ingrid L'lerim Ingrid L'lerim The problem with that (and my guess is this is the reason this limit was put in) is that not everyone has the software or the technical knowledge to properly optimize images, especially animated gifs, so a lot of people end up having things in their sigs that are 3-4 megabytes in size (I've seen even worse). When you have a lot of people and a lot of images in a thread, it slows down the process of loading the site considerably, especially for people with slow internet connections.

Scherezade deWinter Scherezade deWinter Ingrid L'lerim Ingrid L'lerim Yes and no. People often have more than one image in their signatures and the cut-off part isn't rendered. I don't know if it is loaded into RAM, however, but it might not be. My guess is this is a subtle nudge for people to stop using such large images.

EDIT: My suggestion, as I previously said, would be to increase the limit by 20-30 pixels, in order to account for the spacing. Most people's sigs were designed for the old forum's CSS in mind, so they usually have a large 160-170px tall image and a row of 20-30px-ish images above or under that. The reason this no longer fits into the 200px limit is because of the aforementioned spacing between rows.

Last edited:
Never really bothered me, I'm used to sites where the sigs were like a fourth of the size of Tacitus' current size. What makes me annoyed is the animated stuff, like choose either the avi or the sig, but choose one! If I have to make my sigs smaller, so be it or I can do without which I might do cuz post styles. Those sorta make sigs irrelevant to be honest... But I better not see those get stupidly animated or I swear I will start biting people! lol

ok, guess I'll just go down to 180 px instead of 200 px.

Edit: mine is 200 px tall and it still shows the whole image, so I am not quite sure that the whole 10-20 loss in pixels is actually accurate. As far as I can tell I am not losing any bits of my image.

Credius Credius It only looks that way because that's how the image was made in photoshop. It was deliberately off-center, the bottom of the image is in line with the corner of the left eye, not the bottom of the nose. The black border on the image is only 1 pixel thick, if it was cut off you wouldn't see any of it.
d4f26a140f51ef233189c8241d158604.jpg

5ffaadeff47f0634642c58f0cd60dff6.jpg

Kauri Kryze

K
I've made my Sig at 180px and I'm feeling like 250 could be reasonable. Judah Lesan Judah Lesan mentioned rank tags/flair above which is why I'm inclined to agree. That or for linking submissions for inventory purposes and such.

Removing larger sized images is definitely appreciated, but yeah a wee bit more room would be great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom