Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Dire Wolf Class Star Destroyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
maxime-bibi-40.jpg
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To create the main line Ship of the Line for SLDF and CIS Navies
  • Image Source: Gallery
  • Canon Link: None
  • Permissions: None
  • Primary Source: Project "Hope"
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Assault Star Destroyer - (First rating with Thor PPC attached, Second is when Thor PPC is Jettisoned, Third is with full power to engines)
  • Length: 2,000 meters
  • Width: 750 meters
  • Height: 500 meters
  • Armament: Extreme / Very High / Average (First is with Thor PPC, second is if jettisoned, third is with power diverted to engines)
    • 1 Thor Heavy Naval PPC - Emergency Jettison System in case of weapon failure
    • 10 Mjolnir Mk. 1 Variable Warhead Mass Drivers
    • 20 Single-Tube MLMS Luanchers paired with 2 large Multi-Tube MLMS Launcherswith the following ordinance:
    • 150 Paladin Turbolasers
    • Eagle Eye Targeting System
    • Hawk Eye Targeting System
    • 250 Deimos HPDRFLCs
    • 75 Heavy Ion Cannons
    • 5 Tractor beam projectors
  • Defenses: High / Very High / Very High
    • Svalinn Shield Generators
    • Phrik-A/Duraplast-E Composite Armor Plating
    • Full Spectrum Electronic Warfare and CyberWarfare package
    • FM-001/FM-002 protective laminates
    • Various and expansive sensor technologies
  • Hangar Space: Very Low: 5
  • Hangar Allocations:
    • Support Craft: 3 squadrons (2 AT-1 : 1 AT-2)
    • Star Fighters: 2 squadrons (F-22s)
  • Maneuverability Rating: Low
  • Speed Rating: Average / Average / Very High
  • Hyperdrive: Yes
  • Hyperdrive Class: 0.5
  • Cargo Capacity: Low
STANDARD FEATURES
  • Power plant is several Atin Class Isotope-5A reactors, which gives this vessel all the necessary power across all power systems.
  • Fire suppression systems across the entirety of the vessel allowing for fires to be handled safely and remotely, without risking naval crews.
  • Luft Class Life Support Systems offers the best in class atmospheric management system for the vessel, making it able to support and house various species of all different kinds without needing to utilize environmental suits.
  • Remote Weapon Control Stations offering the crew the ability to be able to centralize fire control systems and have back-up stations in case those fail.
  • Full medical bay capable of treating and otherwise being able to handle whatever injuries any of the crew might have occur while on missions. This includes a variety of burns, amputations, shrapnel and other wounds.
  • Many tasks and more dangerous positions across the ship are either automated or operated by droids to increase crew safety and effectiveness of the vessel in battle, despite damage being sustained.
  • Weapon kill switch and jettison is present on the Thor Heavy Naval PPC firing control system, allowing for a potentially dangerous malfunction to not endanger the ship, and should the primary killswitch protocol fail this weapon can be jettisoned, activating the secondary and more permanent kill switch to make the weapon inert and safely bleed off all stored energy. This is a two part system that first breaks the weapon's chassis away from the vehicle, and then fires small FIE-1 Engines to slow this weapon to a stop in space. This will also destroy all of the technical components on board making recreation of this technology impossible. This will also cause the weapon to fire preset explosives to destroy the weapon chassis as a whole to prevent it from being caught in a gravity well of a planet and becoming a massive kinetic bomb.
ADVANCED SYSTEMS
  • Mjolnir Mk. 1 Mass Drivers offer second to none artillery firepower for the ship, able to lock on, engage and pummel any vessel at range into submission. Their ability to cycle rounds to deal with different threats make them a massive boon to any captain of these vessels, and a huge detriment to her enemies. To put it bluntly, these weapons are great at making other ship captains cry as you blow holes in their ship.
  • Thor Heavy Naval PPC is a massive Particle Projectile Cannon that is bow mounted and can fire either 1 one second burst shots, two five second burst shots or an all in one ten second shot. This extremely heavy weapon is designed to be either the opening or final arguments in any fight, letting the enemy know just who exactly they angered. And god help them if you fire all 10 seconds from the weapon at once, as that's really really gonna hurt.
  • Deimos Point Defense cannons are able to target and engage everything from enemy munitions and ordinance to star fighters and bombers. Cannons are also powerful enough that if you get within range in a smaller capital ship that these guns will do excellent work against an unshielded corvette or frigate. Wouldn't really use them for that though.
  • Zeus Multiple Launch Missile System allows for missiles to be tied into the Eagle Eye Fire Control System and makes all of the warheads able to utilize Multi-Lock technology by programming in multiple signatures for the enemy vessel ranging from radar, infrared, visual, even EM signatures. This makes all of the missiles on the Hope almost immune to countermeasures forcing enemy vessels to either maneuver out of the way of the missiles or shoot them down. Also allows for the pre-programming of flight paths to allow for you to launch multiple missiles at various trajectories and flight paths to allow for a single salvo to engage the same target from multiple directions at the same time.
  • Wind Talker Class Comm Array offers top of the line data sharing, communications, and networking options for this vessel and any other compatible vessels either built in the CIS or used by CIS forces.
  • Armor plating on this ship has been based on the original Dire Wolf Class "Hope", however has been improved. This is due to the incorporation of FM-001 and FM-002 Laminates to the spaced armor plating rather than the raw materials of the original. This makes the armor overall less mass intensive, while offering the same protection as the original.
  • Electronic and Cyberwarfare System is based on the Loki EWAR suite produced by Lock & Keye. This has been expanded to include not only full spectrum jamming capabilities, but also detection systems like those used on the original Hope, such as magnetic mass sensors, optical targeting packages, and even the ability to use a laser rangefinder or lidar to target and engage enemy vessels.
  • Eagle and Hawk Eye Fire Control Systems make Paladin Turbolasers and Ion Cannons much more accurate and deadly. This combined with the system's ability to lock onto targets through various jamming, even being able to shoot at targets based on magnetic mass detection with reduced accuracy, make this vessel a menace. Advanced software in this vessel even makes velocity and lead generation possible on targets based on debris around them meaning that if you can't get a direct lock on the target itself, you can target debris next to it to get a shooting solution.
STRENGTHS
  • Laughs in "I AM THE ARTILLERY": So this thing is packing multiple Mjolnir Mass Driver turrets alongside the Thor Particle Projectile Cannon. To put it bluntly, this thing is a beast at range. And it's packing enough firepower that even vessels outside of its weight class need to respect the vessel's capabilities or be prepared to clean the crap out of their pants when holes start suddenly appearing in their ship. Did I forget to mention that was at ranges that most turbolasers simply can't reach out to because they can't stay stable long enough to deliver their payloads that far away?
  • Heavy Armor: The armor on this vessel was designed to take a massive beating, as it is a frontline capital ship designed for the brawl. And while its primary weapons may be designed for ranged combat, this ship is truly at home when its captain can reach out whack the enemy ship with his sword. Because if you can't face an enemy up close in a brawl, where's the fun in pummeling him out of existence?
  • Ability to move when needed: This ship has a power shifting system aboard that is designed to take advantage of the serious power generation of the Atin Reactors aboard. This allows for captains of the vessel to flex when needed to reach the brawl, get out of danger, or otherwise move the vessel into better firing positions. Long story short, this ship can either sit back and fire its guns like an artillery battleship, or lead the charge in a blaze of turbolaser and rapid fire low power heavy cannon shots.
  • Let's try not to explode: Multiple systems aboard this vessel have been improved from the original to make each system more stable. And while some things couldn't be made safer because of the literal amounts of power going through them, they are still mitigated due to the ship now having access to blowout sections and other fire prevention/mitigation tools available since this ship is meant to be a production vessel, not a performance prototype.
WEAKNESSES
  • Big bomb strapped to its underside: Like the original, the Thor is a massive bomb when charged making it a huge juicy target for enemy vessels. And while it has its fair share of armor, let's be honest. If that thing goes boom, you don't want to be anywhere near it.
  • Small fighter complement: This ship sacrifices the fighter complements of the original vessel to make it a more dedicated frontline battleship. This makes the ship more specialized in its current configuration, which suits more traditional navies just fine. This lack of fighter coverage means that the vessel while not defenseless against enemy fighter swarms, but will be at a disadvantage in space battles due to it only being able to use itself as a force projection measure. And in space, there's a lot of room to go round which is a lot of 'space' to cover.
  • Maxing engines takes away big guns: Power isn't a limitless resource even when you're talking about something like an Atin Class reactor. That means in order to get this ship to move like a cheetah on cocaine you gotta bring some of them big cannons offline. It's a tradeoff, one that can lead to you being able to shoot less while you move into a better position or get out of dodge. To put it bluntly, don't do it unless you are absolutely certain you won't need them cannons, because while the shift is just the flip of a switch, powering the guns back online takes precious seconds if not minutes depending on how long they went offline.
  • Armor means nothing when stuff inside goes boom: A lot of the internal components of this vessel are still quite volatile from the sheer amount of power and amount of munitions aboard this vessel. Which means it doesn't matter how many blowout panels, safety seals, and airlocks you lock down if you have multiple systems violently fail at once. Especially with the reactor. When this thing decides to explode because stuff on the inside goes boom, no amount of armor in the galaxy is gonna save you because Physics are unforgiving. And the amount of fuel, power, and munitions aboard this thing will generate a lot of explosive energy so be conscious of that.
  • Almost no ground forces: Aside from a small infantry contingent (consisting of 300 organic space marines and 200 space combat droids) that's more meant to be a marine force to repel boarders, and engage in hostile boarding actions in ship to ship warfare, this ship doesn't do well in delivering ground combat forces. That means that sure the ship can win the battle in space, but after that, really can't do much. Which means it needs to be paired with transports in order to properly perform planetary invasions, otherwise you're gonna be sitting there twiddling your thumbs for a minute. A very long minute.
DESCRIPTION
The Star Destroyer. A mainstay in many major navies of the millennia, there has been tried and true methods of development, deployment, and doctrine for these vessels. While some in the past have used them as a Jack of all Trades, others using them to be the sole patrol craft to control an entire system, Freebirds Industries takes a different approach to the matter. A Star Destroyer is massive, both in investment of resources, and in firepower and combat power committed to any fight, so why should one be compromised by needing to be a combat vessel and a transport. Enter The Dire Wolf Class. A purpose built combat vessel, through and through, this ship devotes almost all of the space it has to one mission, and one mission only. Win the fight. This vessel was designed to deploy as a part of a larger combat force with the intent to close with, engage and then destroy enemy vessels both inside of and outside of her weight class in the battle space. It's meant to be a veritable sword of Damocles, delivering a swift killing strike to center pieces of enemy navies, and then following it up with hammer blows from massive cannons at any range to let them know that they lost the fight the moment these ships arrived. With an Atin Class reactor, Mjolnir Mk. 1 Cannons and other weapons, few can hope to match this vessels commitment to the fight especially in space. Her one drawback strategically is that while she can bring a lot of guns to fight in space, on planets she's not very useful outside of an orbital fire support platform. With all of the space aboard the vessel devoted to the one mission of absolutely annihilating anything put before it, the small infantry complement aboard would be hard pressed to actually perform any such dismounted actions planet side, or really anywhere. So if you're looking for that Star Destroyer that can do everything pretty well, or is meant to operate alone or in groups this is not the ship for you. But if you want a vessel that's got capabilities suited to a very specific job in the fleet, and does that job very well look no further. The Dire Wolf class is here to serve.

Last edited:
The Monster The Monster , this looks overpowered by at least two ratings.

It's worth noting that we can't add in fields (like "Cargo Capacity" in this case) with ratings to help balance things out. You can still list "Cargo Capacity: Low" if you want to, but it won't count towards balancing purposes.

The unusually fast hyperdrive (x0.5) should also be listed as a strength somewhere, and we should have some sort of weakness in there specifically to help balance out its inclusion.

Gir Quee Gir Quee Thank you for the review and many apologies for the late reply.

So firstly for the ratings, I realized that first of all, I messed up when listing the fighter complement as I double checked back with the original template. Which was to have this vessel have a "Very Low" small craft complement rather than "Low", numbers wise. My apologies on that. Also secondly I wish to start adding in Cargo Capacity now to start differentiating my vessels with specific duties for space combat vessels. General purpose vessels (those which can both carry and fight) being average, ships of the line (those with low or lower) which are meant as purpose built combat vessels, and transport vessels (those that are purely meant as combat transports/transports). I thought to start adding this to better showcase from the get go what I wish for these vessels perform as far as ship's duties in and out of combat as well as establish a baseline for which future vessels shall begin following, as I think it is a much better quantification as to what a ship has aboard rather than hand waving ground forces projection capabilities.

But I digress the ratings have been fixed.

Secondly as far as the hyperdrive is concerned, I do believe my intention for this vessel is that the hyperdrive is to come at the cost of ground force carrying capabilities. This being that the ship has almost no ground forces with which to pursue planetary operations (apart from it being a fire support platform). This is a pretty significant drawback compared to Canon vessels (ie - Imperial Star Destroyer) wherein a simple star destroyer has a massive ground complement capable of launching planetary invasions and effecting massive force projection planet side because it not only carries roughly 10,000 combat troops but the necessary materials, vehicles, and even support capabilities to effect a proper planetary invasion corridor. This is where I wish my vessels to depart from existing cannon and standard building practices of the board, as instead of general purpose combat cruisers that can flex between transport and combat roles, I wish to solely design a vessel that is purpose built for a singular role in a fleet. That is, this vessel is not designed to worry about the planetary battle space and instead focus on its primary job, winning the surrounding orbital and system battle space. Could it be flexed over to support a land invasion with proper transports to deliver the troops it lacks? Technically yes, but without a proper fighter/bomber complement, supporting land troops/vehicles, nor the ability to move quickly from target to target to support a fast moving land invasion with precision strikes this vessel is poorly suited to such a role. Instead it is best suited to its original build purpose, engaging enemy capital ships with its heavy armor, firepower, and ability to respond to developing scenarios quickly as part of a reactionary fleet. If there is a way I could properly write this in as a weakness and adjust the current weakness I have currently in place to better describe this, I would appreciate any advice you could offer.

Thank you once again for your review and continued work in the Factory, as you guys give me lots of fun playing in a playground I much prefer over most random RPs. That is because of your guys' professional demeanor, and willingness to offer help.

The Monster The Monster , your explanations are solid, and I'd agree with them in principle.

I'd like to see a little bit more detail about the smaller infantry contingent, perhaps an actual number of troops because this is specifically being used as a weakness to offset the unusually fast hyperdrive. Keep in mind though, that Imperial Star Destroyers are kind of outliers when it comes to organic troop numbers. Most canon warships similar in size don't carry nearly as many: MC80As have 1,200 troops, Venator-class Star Destroyers have 2000 troops, and MC90s have 1700 troops.

Gir Quee Gir Quee I was thinking in the area of 500ish troops, with 300 of them being soldiers and 200 of them being combat droids. If you think that's too many or I'm going too few I'd be open to adjusting them. Again these would be "space marines" however, focused only on infantry combat in space, being poorly equipped and too few in number to assist in ground based warfare without essentially considering them as a support element to a larger force.

The Monster The Monster , I apologize for the late reply - for whatever reason, I don't recall seeing a notification that you tagged me. If you ever find yourself waiting on me for over a day, feel free to shoot me a PM reminding me that I need to reply to you.

But that sounds perfectly reasonable to me. If you put those numbers in there explicitly, I'll approve this!

Gir Quee Gir Quee It hath been done! I hope this is acceptable?

• Almost no ground forces: Aside from a small infantry contingent (consisting of 300 organic space marines and 200 space combat droids) that's more meant to be a marine force to repel boarders, and engage in hostile boarding actions in ship to ship warfare, this ship doesn't do well in delivering ground combat forces. That means that sure the ship can win the battle in space, but after that, really can't do much. Which means it needs to be paired with transports in order to properly perform planetary invasions, otherwise you're gonna be sitting there twiddling your thumbs for a minute. A very long minute.

PS also no problem at all, I usually just assume life stuff happened so I'm perfectly fine waiting. I honestly appreciate your candid nature and willingness to work with me through issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom