Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question What SWRP Rule drives you crazy? Want it gone?

Do you think the rules could use an overhaul?

• Nah. Srina is bonkers for asking.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • About dang time! Heck ya.

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • ...I clicked for this?

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • I'm glad Staff is looking at this, but, I don't really have an opinion.

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Why is Staff looking at this when they could be giving me more post bits...

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • BRB off to watch Ashoka.

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My true pet peeves lies with with star ship creation and how minor factions are not allowed to have at least one SSD.

That is, and remains my one top critique of the factory. My top one, and if I could change any one thing, it would be that, and let minor factions have at least one SSD.

My second thing I would change is the reclassification of certain superweapons and add a new category that would let both major and minor factions have more fun: Sub-Superweapons.

The factory currently classifies superweapons as those capable of destroying a planet...

But there are some superweapons that appear that do not fit this classification in the legends continuity. Those are say, capable of taking out a large fleet or battlefield. They would still require at least two or three Dev Threads, at least that's how I'd do it. I'd understand it would be dicey in that last bit, Srina Talon Srina Talon
Second on this.

would be pretty cool to have something like the Malevolence, Metal-Crystal Phase Shifters, or the Arc Pulse Generator. Something that's on a much smaller scale than what we consider a classic "star wars superweapon," but still out of step of what most military applications would have.

Join or make a major faction, you lazy bums.

Here's an idea, Srina Talon Srina Talon :

Legendary Weapons/Armor/Starships

Legendary Weapons/Armor/Starships are like Unique Items except a Player Character can only have exactly one of them per category at a time per character. They ignore the normal balancing of unique items (You could, say, have more than two or three extremes on a weapon where balancing would normally forbid it), but MUST have three to four weaknesses for EVERY listed strength.

As for Starships, a legendary designation would bring something like an Imperial Star Destroyer closer in strength to how it's described in stories (Though admittedly, Srina, in all honesty, I think starships like those should be closer in strength to how they are in canon anyways, and maybe weapons too, but I could understand if that wouldn't be practical)

Forgive me I'm a little unclear on this one... If we want to bring tech back to how canon describes it - Wouldn't we just suggest using canon equipment and ships?

Another small thing, I feel like this mandate below was a fun idea, but doesn't really work in practice with UC's being fairly underused. I know people can make them as important as they want, but I'd love to see more mandates that can offer cool benefits instead. I'm a big fan of some of the recent ones that were made, and one of those is currently used for the upcoming invasion too.

image.png

I don't really like offering a mandate removal without proposing new ideas, but some mandates to play into expansion would be great. Especially with invasion judgement coming back for a somewhat more competitive environment. I'd be happy to help brainstorm but I also feel like the admins would definitely want to have a say in all of this. And I'm not sure if this thread is really for suggesting new mechanics.

That mandate was created when UC were a little more prevalent with Boost Threads. I don't see the harm in it remaining for now but I'm always down to hear more about mandate ideas. Shoot your shot!

Admins will always need to approve them but we can always look over what you've brainstormed and make any necessary adjustments before throwing it out for the community.

You miss 100% of the chances you don't take.

Also, ideas on Canon Weapons/Items/Starships, Srina Talon Srina Talon

People make subs saying THEY have a canon weapon, but it's always treated like a fake or a replica so why don't we rework the rules around that also?

See, my idea is, The Admins creates the sub of a canon item, or creates a list of canon items PC characters can use for their stories.

But the catch is, they can only use a single item of that list, or only use the sub made by admins exactly once per character

I like the spirit of this idea but it doesn't quite make sense why we would do that when there are a multitude of canon artifacts to choose from. It would be almost impossible to police who is writing with what and on the flip would be very limiting to writers. It sounds more like it would turn into an exercise in gatekeeping versus something fun for the community.

This is admittedly a very small thing, but I saw some other suggestions about ships amd SSD's, so I figured I'd add one too. Right now, a Major Faction can gain an SSD by submitting 3 completed dominions in one month. At the very least, it means that a faction needs to generate 30 posts in each dominion for 90 total.

The current ruleset also speaks of the third dominion being an "SSD dominion thread". I haven't really seen this happen, and not long ago I submitted 3 regular dominions we completed in one month (back from 2022) to gain an SSD without the story of said dominions being about an SSD.

My pitch would be to change the ruleset to not rely on number of dominions submitted, but amount of posts made in dominion threads if we want to reward writing effort. So if 100 posts are made across two dominions in one calendar month, it'd also be approved. I've noticed that people in my faction, at the very least, enjoy keeping dominions going for longer, rather than having multiple short ones. Our recent Hapes dominion got to ~80 posts within the month, and is still going a little beyond the one month.

We did have one other dominion in addition to it that got to over 30 posts too, but adding a third while we're also trying to write non-dominion threads internally or with other factions is quite a lot.

I'm interested....

Boiling it down to...SSDs can be a acquired by 3 Doms in the same month OR X number of Dom posts in that same month? Is that what I'm getting?

I'm interested....

Boiling it down to...SSDs can be a acquired by 3 Doms in the same month OR X number of Dom posts in that same month? Is that what I'm getting?
Yep!

At the end of the day, the faction makes the same amount of posts, so it's an equal amount of work. It's just hard to do 3 dominions because we're also wanting other thread types, especially now that junctions and invasions are coming back again.

I personally also like seeing dominions hit more than 30 post minimums. That Hapes dominion I mentioned had people actually write and complete their stories, which is worth a lot to me too. So it's cool if that is rewarded as well.

Yep!

At the end of the day, the faction makes the same amount of posts, so it's an equal amount of work. It's just hard to do 3 dominions because we're also wanting other thread types, especially now that junctions and invasions are coming back again.

I personally also like seeing dominions hit more than 30 post minimums. That Hapes dominion I mentioned had people actually write and complete their stories, which is worth a lot to me too. So it's cool if that is rewarded as well.

I dig this. I'll take it up with John Locke John Locke .

image.png

Mechs are allowed but I was told a good while ago that they can't have arms or shoulders and that the Mechs from the Open-Closed War were against the rules because they didn't fit the criteria ... but they're literally from Star Wars! I haven't done a dive into the rules since then, I doubt anything has changed with them. I think that the height criteria is kind of arbitrary and that "arms or shoulders" shouldn't be applied to weapon mounts.

latest.png

The other one was this
image.png

We can have demigods with linages that wind throughout all of the big historical moments, have Force powers that defy reality, but if you have a droid that isn't serialized you're a stealth-build hoping nobody looks at the "Creating your Character' ruleset (exaggerated joke for emphasis, I'm positive this is a rule only in technicality)

Edit: Specifically getting to the point of the Droid factory sub requirement... being a player character would really mean that this droid would qualify as a Unique classification, and I'm not exactly sure if there is a lot that a Unique classification can't do? Organic characters can (and have) pull starships from space. I don't think unapproved unique droid model characters will pose any additional harm to the quality or integrity of the RP.

Last edited:
Srina Talon Srina Talon Valiens Nantaris Valiens Nantaris

Following my earlier hypothesis and why I want Admins talking to the community via the Suggestion forum more, Cay-Yo Cay-Yo here continues the same trend that Orestyn Carda Orestyn Carda followed earlier when he made his long, thorough suggestions: they’re not roleplaying, and in some cases, haven’t posted in a roleplay thread in a MINIMUM of TEN months. Yet they have not only found this OOC Suggestion thread in a timely fashion, they have contributed long thought out posts. For example above, Cay-Yo Cay-Yo demonstrates Mech and Droid rule knowledge and biases.

They don’t roleplay, but they yearn to discuss changing the OOC rules of a roleplaying environment. Its fascinating and the behavior deserves to be studied more, as the research could perhaps one day help us understand even ourselves.

I will not apologize for thinking a prerequisite to deleting rules should be “make a post within the last 10 months”.

I’m not gonna feel bad for calling it out either. I hope you don’t take this as a negative reaction, Cay-Yo Cay-Yo , I just come from a place where its legitimately, genuinely bewildering to me that you have more motivation to delete a Factory droid rule than you do interacting with us in any other capacity on the forum.

Come play with us, Georgie. If you don’t, you’re not the member I’m attempting to pander to with these discussions. And I mean that without malice or trollery, I just genuinely think you want to join in but are holding yourself back. You’re not alone, either.

I don't think the 10-month rule kind of thing is a bad idea, it just wasn't put forward so I didn't think it would've been an issue.

Though this wasn't my biggest motivation at all. On Lyrrin I signed up for an invasion and tried interacting in an OOC thread that was put up prior. I just happened across the thread on my attempt to reintegrate.

Honestly I would love to play. I've tried really hard to find those moments where people seem so invested that's its memorable for all involved. Each character I made was an attempt to find that and really become invested. Aside from Lyrrin I keep failing to do that and even with Lyrrin the only person that shows interest is Valery. I'm really grateful to her for that.

Its demoralizing to feel like the last pick or not picked at all to write with. I tried taking your advice to make my own sort of threads or groups and they flopped.

I keep coming back because I do want to be here and enjoy myself Tef. I just can't figure out how. This isn't me in the doldrums either. You can look at my post histories for dominions, invasions, or any other thread. I often end up posting to myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom