Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question What SWRP Rule drives you crazy? Want it gone?

Do you think the rules could use an overhaul?

• Nah. Srina is bonkers for asking.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • About dang time! Heck ya.

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • ...I clicked for this?

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • I'm glad Staff is looking at this, but, I don't really have an opinion.

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Why is Staff looking at this when they could be giving me more post bits...

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • BRB off to watch Ashoka.

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone has that one thing (okay, maybe several things) that gets under their skin, usually, some seemingly "random" legacy rule that was put in place several years ago because someone thought they were slick and/or there was an issue. Is there a rule somewhere on the site in any rule set that you believe to be completely outdated and or wholly unnecessary? That it could be removed completely or altered for the better? We just removed restrictions on Extra-Galactic Planets/Locations AND Light-Saber Rifles which have been a non-starter for a really...really long time. Is there anything you want to see that you currently don't? These are wild times and the perfect time to make your opinion known while we're looking things over.

If it were up to you...What gets the axe?

Whether from the General Rules, Roleplay Rules, the Codex, the Factory OR even something from the smaller categories like Major Factions, Mandates, etc.

Please fill out the following below:

What SWRP Rule would you like to remove and or amend?
Why do you want it removed or amended?
What would you replace it with? (If necessary - It could just be a suggestion for removal.)

Note: There is no guarantee that the removal/suggestion/or amendment will be passed but this is your opportunity to speak up about your community.
For better or worse we want to hear what you have to say.
Thank you for reading this tiny person print! Made for ants and mini-ewoks!

My true pet peeves lies with with star ship creation and how minor factions are not allowed to have at least one SSD.

That is, and remains my one top critique of the factory. My top one, and if I could change any one thing, it would be that, and let minor factions have at least one SSD.

My second thing I would change is the reclassification of certain superweapons and add a new category that would let both major and minor factions have more fun: Sub-Superweapons.

The factory currently classifies superweapons as those capable of destroying a planet...

But there are some superweapons that appear that do not fit this classification in the legends continuity. Those are say, capable of taking out a large fleet or battlefield. They would still require at least two or three Dev Threads, at least that's how I'd do it. I'd understand it would be dicey in that last bit, Srina Talon Srina Talon

image.png

This change after half a year without any invasions, is just appearing to be out of nowhere and against what was successfully established during the SGHW. The Major Faction Owners should be in on it unless there are issues between them and an actual Moderator needs to step in, not the Site Administration.

But since thats new and based on the one which I hated since I looked through them for the first time. :D

image.png

How about notice? Or a channel where it is told what is being worked on, what is tested/trialed/intended to not push and rub the changes into peoples faces when they come from one day to the other? So the real issue might be transparency behind my personal issue with this rule.

Maple Harte Maple Harte & Garou Shakti Garou Shakti have interesting ideas to expand on minor factions. Would be cool to have an open dialogue about possible changes or just proposals for it.

What SWRP Rule would you like to remove and or amend?: General Factory Rules - 9. Using submissions by other writers requires proof of their permission if marked Closed Market.
Why do you want it removed or amended?: While I understand the need to protect the copyright of writers creating new stuff, I think the rules have leaned way too far into that direction. It makes little sense that items that are reasonably available in the Galaxy cannot be acquired just because a writer wants to OOCly keep it restricted. Or the writer has left the board or has been banned. It should be possible to balance respect for people's copyright with reasonable usage of already approved submissions in the roleplay. As long as nobody tries to claim they created the submission or copy-paste a version for themselves it should be entirely okay.
What would you replace it with? Either remove it entirely or since the resurgence of development threads, it could be replaced with a requirement for a 'heist' thread or something to show ICly how someone acquired the item.

What SWRP Rule would you like to remove and or amend?: Civilian vessels/stations are defined as having an armament rating of 'None' and, if they have a hangar rating, should not be able to field a compliment of starfighters in a combat capacity.
Why do you want it removed or amended?: Why can't a civilian station or vessel have armament? Why can't they have a bunch of retrofitted automated drones/starfighters? Why does it matter?
What would you replace it with?: Remove it.

What SWRP Rule would you like to remove and or amend?: For rules on what ships can be owned, operated and manufactured by a Major Faction, Minor Faction, Company or an Individual, please refer to the following table.
Why do you want it removed or amended?: Remove the table entirely and allow any Minor Faction, Company, Single Writer, Major Faction to field whatever ship and fleet size they want. Why not? Fleeting has always been the nichest of niche on Chaos. Let people just write their power fantasies if they get fun out of it. Who does it hurt if Darth Whatchamacallit is able to have his own sector fleet or what not? Almost nobody is fleeting anyway! And if he starts trying to wave around the fleet and ruin the time of other people, they have always been able to just ignore his roleplay anyway.
What would you replace it with?: Remove all restrictions entirely. It's only there to curb people's roleplay in the name of 'balance' when almost nobody fleets on Chaos anyway.

What SWRP Rule would you like to remove and or amend?: Only a Major Faction has the resources necessary to role-play having a large fleet, army, etc.
Why do you want it removed or amended?: This was always a bit of a vague rule and doesn't seem to have any purpose besides give Major Factions some kind of higher status.
What would you replace it with?: Either remove it entirely or amend it to something like 'A Major Faction will as a common rule have more resources to call upon then solitary Minor Faction and Companies'. That way you won't get a single writer Minor Faction throwing out multi-system armies to harass a Major Faction they don't like, but it doesn't unduly limit a big corporation or even a minor faction from fielding large fleets, armies for their roleplay.

What SWRP Rule would you like to remove and or amend?:
  • 10. SSD/Dreadnought/Superweapons require Admin approval. (Superweapons can be kept restricted however)
  • Acquiring a Super Star Destroyer / Dreadnought will be restricted to Major Factions. Acquisition will follow Dominion rules.
  • A major faction, upon completing their second dominion of the calendar month, may begin their third eligible Dominion as a SSD / Dreadnought dominion thread.
  • A SSD/Dreadnought factory submission requires admin approval. They are not available for use until they have been approved.
  • A unique SSD is permitted one extra point when balancing.
  • No player may captain a SSD / Dreadnought without the Major Faction Owner's consent.
  • If a Major Faction is recalled, merged into another Major Faction, or drops to minor, any SSD / Dreadnought created must be decommissioned and archived.
  • While SSDs may be destroyed or scuttled, they cannot be stolen by an opposing Faction.
  • Major Factions that are tied to mandates that prohibit rebellions are excluded from building SSDs or dreadnoughts.
Why do you want it removed or amended?: SSDs and Dreadnoughts since their introduction have never been a big deal on Chaos. They are mainly used as set pieces, locations and ways to enhance the roleplay. The restrictions mean it takes a lot of effort to create one, but they don't really offer anything you can't already do. So why the extra busywork? I'd say remove the SSD/Dreadnoughts system entirely and just scrap the upper limit of ship submissions. If someone wants a fancy big shiny warship... who does it exactly hurt if they can just submit it without extra hoops being jumped through?
What would you replace it with?: Remove it entirely and then remove the upper-limit for ship submissions, so people can decide themselves how big they want their ship(s) to be.

What SWRP Rule would you like to remove and or amend?: Civilian vessels/stations are defined as having an armament rating of 'None' and, if they have a hangar rating, should not be able to field a compliment of starfighters in a combat capacity.
Why do you want it removed or amended?: Why can't a civilian station or vessel have armament? Why can't they have a bunch of retrofitted automated drones/starfighters? Why does it matter?
What would you replace it with?: Remove it.

all of your suggestions were crap except for this one good job

High Commander of the Lilaste Order
id like to see minor factions getting a bit of recognition on the map hex. if not by controlling a single hex but at least maybe a mention of where they are based at? as some minors i belive would be capable of controlling at least a single planet. if not have some influence in that system. as it would suck to be building up in an area and prepping for your own arrival to major only for a nearby major to swoop in and claim the hex you have dedicated your entire resources/ RP set up in

Aculia Voland

Protecting her children from the shadows.
I'm fine with keeping SSDs restricted to majors since canonically they are big investments/take a lot to maintain/gives some incentive to go major but I would like the ability for major factions to gain SSDs without having to put in three doms in a single month which is a lot and sort of disincentivizes them being used(*lost). I think maybe a Dom per SSD up to some kind of soft cap that gets exponentially harder once you are over it to prevent spam and keep realism would help balance things out there.

Last edited:

DeadpoolMLP

Too many characters, I have
What SWRP Rule would you like to remove and or amend?: General Factory Rules - 9. Using submissions by other writers requires proof of their permission if marked Closed Market.
Honestly? This.

But not for the reason he mentioned.

There are some really cool subs from way back in the day that are made by writers who just...aren't around anymore. I'd love to make a rule saying that if you're not active after like 6 months, your tech becomes fair game to be reworked. Not open market, but like, if something is closed market from a writer who hasn't shown up in 3 years, but they put it on their marketplace page, that becomes open market now and free to be reworked into a new sub.

Aculia Voland

Protecting her children from the shadows.
id like to see minor factions getting a bit of recognition on the map hex. if not by controlling a single hex but at least maybe a mention of where they are based at? as some minors i belive would be capable of controlling at least a single planet. if not have some influence in that system. as it would suck to be building up in an area and prepping for your own arrival to major only for a nearby major to swoop in and claim the hex you have dedicated your entire resources/

I think some kind of map annotation ability for minors would be good just to give majors a heads up when they are planning dominions etc, eg "minor faction x has stated they are here, here's a link to their page". I had zero idea that Galidraan was comparatively important to NIO/IMP until after the EOTL became a major for example which caused some unintended IC headaches. Whether or not they should be controlling hexes on the map I'm not sure because then you start running into issues w/ regards to minor-major interactions and a lot of map work really quickly-in this I think the prevailing wisdom of if you want to play on the map apply to be a major/stay a major since the requirements are not -that- high (I should know leading the "smallest" major right now!).

This is admittedly a very small thing, but I saw some other suggestions about ships amd SSD's, so I figured I'd add one too. Right now, a Major Faction can gain an SSD by submitting 3 completed dominions in one month. At the very least, it means that a faction needs to generate 30 posts in each dominion for 90 total.

The current ruleset also speaks of the third dominion being an "SSD dominion thread". I haven't really seen this happen, and not long ago I submitted 3 regular dominions we completed in one month (back from 2022) to gain an SSD without the story of said dominions being about an SSD.

My pitch would be to change the ruleset to not rely on number of dominions submitted, but amount of posts made in dominion threads if we want to reward writing effort. So if 100 posts are made across two dominions in one calendar month, it'd also be approved. I've noticed that people in my faction, at the very least, enjoy keeping dominions going for longer, rather than having multiple short ones. Our recent Hapes dominion got to ~80 posts within the month, and is still going a little beyond the one month.

We did have one other dominion in addition to it that got to over 30 posts too, but adding a third while we're also trying to write non-dominion threads internally or with other factions is quite a lot.

Last edited:
Here's an idea, Srina Talon Srina Talon :

Legendary Weapons/Armor/Starships

Legendary Weapons/Armor/Starships are like Unique Items except a Player Character can only have exactly one of them per category at a time per character. They ignore the normal balancing of unique items (You could, say, have more than two or three extremes on a weapon where balancing would normally forbid it), but MUST have three to four weaknesses for EVERY listed strength.

As for Starships, a legendary designation would bring something like an Imperial Star Destroyer closer in strength to how it's described in stories (Though admittedly, Srina, in all honesty, I think starships like those should be closer in strength to how they are in canon anyways, and maybe weapons too, but I could understand if that wouldn't be practical)

Also, ideas on Canon Weapons/Items/Starships, Srina Talon Srina Talon

People make subs saying THEY have a canon weapon, but it's always treated like a fake or a replica so why don't we rework the rules around that also?

See, my idea is, The Admins creates the sub of a canon item, or creates a list of canon items PC characters can use for their stories.

But the catch is, they can only use a single item of that list, or only use the sub made by admins exactly once per character

Another small thing, I feel like this mandate below was a fun idea, but doesn't really work in practice with UC's being fairly underused. I know people can make them as important as they want, but I'd love to see more mandates that can offer cool benefits instead. I'm a big fan of some of the recent ones that were made, and one of those is currently used for the upcoming invasion too.

image.png

I don't really like offering a mandate removal without proposing new ideas, but some mandates to play into expansion would be great. Especially with invasion judgement coming back for a somewhat more competitive environment. I'd be happy to help brainstorm but I also feel like the admins would definitely want to have a say in all of this. And I'm not sure if this thread is really for suggesting new mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom