Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Votes To Leave the European Union

I'm honestly in shock. I didn't think you Brits had it in you.

But you did it. All I can say is well fvcking done, Britbongs. Enjoy your freedom from eternal slavery and don't give up, the fight to take back your country is just beginning.

And of course, the hysteria from the left following this has been nothing short of hilarious. All the usual canards. Racism! Neo-nazis! Been spending too much time in the echo chamber, you guys? This is what happens when we give every child a participation award. They literally don't know how to deal with people who have different opinions from them. Anyone who disagrees with them is a literal Nazi, and democracy only works when they get the result they want.

Lol.

Bengay.jpg

Apply liberally.​

Groundskeeper_df0dd6_5459502.gif

Seriously though, it's evident enough now that Scotland is politically a different entity from England and Wales. Majority talks, and each part of the United Kingdom has spoken. We stayed as a part of the United Kingdom under pretences of remaining within the EU and it's gone out the window. I'm not too upset about it, because this is what the majority of England and Wales wanted, they had the referendum and they've spoken, as has Scotland.

It's not an us against them thing. I hold no animosity towards those who wished to leave, and I can definitely understand some of the frustrations of the working class. But Scotland feels like a different place, we're a socially left leaning place within a Tory government. We went majority SNP, we went majority remain.

Bring on the Scottish Independent Referendum 2.0!

sabrina

[member="Hal Terrano"] well you can if wish, but may I ask how the implementation of the lisbon treaty sat on your conscience.

sabrina

[member="Hal Terrano"] it weighed on mine, and that is why I voted out, and I do it again tomorrow, if it was held again.

As the eu over ruled a referendum by France and Holland, and made Irland vote twice till she has the right result. I can not in good conscience vote to stay in a club that has no respect for democracy, and that is why unless it reforms it is doomed.

[member="Darth Vornskr"] scottish empire, hmmm is that your new faction.

sabrina

[member="Haileigh Dheed"] well if it make you feel better, USA has already said they set up a trade deal, and India is ready to set one as well.

This whole thing has become way to opinionated on an individual level. The simple mis-understandings involved have baffled me beyond belief.

On my Facebook this morning I had posts from around the world varying from:

"Well done for starting world war 3."
to
"Wait the UK is leaving? Where is it going? Is the Queen still around?"

As much as the idea of the UK suddenly turning into a star destroyer and taking off amuses me the sheer stupidity behind the comments put forward by people who think they understand has made me turn off social media for a while.

It is a scary time ahead for the UK, the fact that we do have to negotiate our release with all 27 remaining members of the EU does poise some serious issued questions, especially when certain European centric members are being douche about the whole thing. However, it is an exciting prospect as well. The crunch will be felt, now as well as for the next two years while article 50 takes place and it will as sure hit when we actually do depart from the borders of the EU, but the British are British and it will all be done with a stiff upper lip.

As for trade, all I have heard from every angle is fear mongering. The UK is the fifth largest economy in the world, I mean it just had its currency slip 10% and still was the strongest decimal in the world, it will survive long enough to organise itself into self-efficiency again. People seem to forget the simple fact that at the base the UK is a commonwealth, it holds territories still in govern under the monarchy; Canada, Australia, India just to name a few who hold close ties with the crown. These countries have since the EU been put on a back burner with trade to the United Kingdom and now perhaps it is time to re-establish connection with those who should have always been closest.

In hindsight we can all sit here and go OMGS YOU VOTED AND RUINED THE WORLD or we can sit it out, do our best and forge a future that will be as interesting as it is unpredictable.

The EU knows we will always be good neighbours to them as we do back. In fact if anything perhaps we started the reform that has been so desperately hinted at by more then one country.

The trade agreement is unlikely, and does not need, to be negotiated within two years.

We're unlikely to see the new arrangements between ourselves (and everyone else, because we need all new agreements there too) for many years.

We're unlikely to see many of the benefits touted by the Leave campaign.

Britain could well recover, but it'll require determined action by up to three different governments in succession. Not an easy prospect.

Gove wants to leave the single market, others want to remain (say bye to any hopes of reduced immigration in that case).

I'd like another general election soon. The direction we take in the wake of this is just as important as the decision itself and I want a say in that too.

[member="Ludolf Vaas"]

Whoa whoa! Getting your freedom back? Taking the country back ? I am sure I have heard someone say this words before.

Oh right.

Moving on.

This whole process is going to take ages.

You need a PM to trigger Article 50, Camerons not stupid too put that on his shoulders. October will be decisive. And even if the PM wants to trigger the Article the parliament still can vote against the PM's decision. It's crazy. More likely that Brexit wont actually happen, or there will be another referendum.

Then again if Article 50 is triggered there is 2 year period of negotiations which will always leave the EU in the better position, too lazy to write details, its how Article 50 is settled.

Then there is the rise of Scottish Independence and possibly (unlikely) United Ireland <-- silver lining from all this.

Oh and if Article 50 happens, good luck on negotiating. I get it you/whoeber want EU benefits without the burden to pay.

It's alright.

The UK will get absolutely nothing from these negotiations as Raz said (I think he did). The other 27 member states PMs have stated (at least most) that they stand behind Europe even Italys PM, which is considered a country close to similar referendum, stated that although the EU needs some change, it is their future.

Germany's MEP stated this: "No special treatment for the UK. Leave means leave. Time for cherry-picking is over "

Personally, it is only logical that the EU to preserve its integrity gives a lesson to what happens to a country that leaves the Union if article 50 is ever triggered.

Eitherways, don't get me wrong, this is no way written in some hostile tone, I've graduated from tHe UK and I am fully thankful for the great opportunity (not the weather lol) and I sincerely hope it turns out well for Britain.

skin, bone, and arrogance
Hal Terrano said:
Groundskeeper_df0dd6_5459502.gif

Seriously though, it's evident enough now that Scotland is politically a different entity from England and Wales. Majority talks, and each part of the United Kingdom has spoken. We stayed as a part of the United Kingdom under pretences of remaining within the EU and it's gone out the window. I'm not too upset about it, because this is what the majority of England and Wales wanted, they had the referendum and they've spoken, as has Scotland.

It's not an us against them thing. I hold no animosity towards those who wished to leave, and I can definitely understand some of the frustrations of the working class. But Scotland feels like a different place, we're a socially left leaning place within a Tory government. We went majority SNP, we went majority remain.

Bring on the Scottish Independent Referendum 2.0!
I heard this and thought of you. <3 I think we may witness the dissolution of the United Kingdom over this. Perhaps not in the near term but when Scotland and Ireland both voted to stay and have a different culture from mainstream English/Welsh culture, it just makes sense. Louise for First Minister or Chief Chieftan or whatever it is Nicola is.

I heard someone cite the possibility of Turkey joining the EU as reason for voting to leave, and I've heard others mention immigration. Would someone please mind giving me a relatively rhetoric free rundown of the deal with that?

Full disclosure: my editor is considering running a few articles on the topic, and while I'm researching through official channels as well, I'd like to hear from UK natives to get their opinions on things.

[member="Eralam"]

My wife was curtly told by some elderly ladies that she should be thankful they voted out so turks didn't steal her job.

Immigration may not even go down by leaving. We can leave at any time, leaving because something could have happened would be a silly reason to leave if we did.

Even if we have a points based system for migration we're looking at reducing 30% net migration. Our health service will still be staffed by a huge foreign contingent because our government is training less nurses and constantly undermining our doctors. Home grown problem, not a migration one. If we don't train enough, no points based migration system will help.

Current estimate of UK population is 64 million
There are approximately 700,000 (1.1%) births and 500,000 (0.78%) deaths in the UK every year
180,000 (0.28%) is the net migration from the EU. Migration from outside the EU is around the same as within it. So we're only talking about have the net migration being affected by us leaving.

Some of my friends live in a town that has a population of 37,000. Assuming Migrants were evenly spread (this is a false assumption, but I'm laying it out for the purpose of this) that's the equivalent of 104 people joining the community. If this people are taking paid work, is this unmanageable? If we stopped non-skilled works (60%) this would be closer to 40. Is this more palatable?

A points based system is preferable to me, but migrants are mostly working age, pay more in taxes than they drain the health service. People 20-40 don't really both the NHS much... Our problems with the NHS stem from an aging population, but it's easier to blame foreigners.

Damn old people, using up all the resources.

On a more serious note, thanks for the breakdown.

I've always been mystified by the fuss over immigration. There's precious little middle ground here in the US. One side wants to build a wall across over a thousand miles of border, the other side thinks that having a border is racist. Meanwhile, legal immigration takes a metric ton of paperwork, a lawyer to sort it out if you want to have a hope in hell of getting approved in a timely manner, and a few thousand dollars in application and lawyer fees. Seems to me that sorting that fixing the current system so that you don't have to sell your firstborn to get approved would be a no brainer, but as our legislative bodies have repeatedly proven, one doesn't need a brain to get elected.

[member="Raziel"]

[member="Eralam"]

Obviously no one blames anyone for living longer, but there's been a lack of honesty about why we should leave. They've pointed to problems at home and gone "We could make these better by leaving" with no evidence at all.

See Trump in America.

What we've learned recently is that "facts" and "So called experts" are of no value to many. If you repeat a palatable message over and over and stir up emotions people simply won't go "hang on, but all the evidence sense you're pedalling nonsense?"

There are good reasons for voting leave, whether people disagree with the fact that our influence is a doorway for America into Europe and has lead to increasing westernisation of former Soviet territory, leading to sabre rattling, or that you want to reduce net migration from around 350,000 to around 250,000.

I don't think many voters, on either side, made an informed choice yesterday.

No the arguments were terrible for both sides. The problem being I think is when the push came to shove emotion played a huge part in what happened. I've already seen kids yelling out at anyone who they know is not british that "Can't wait till you have to go home." The media has done well, the eurosceptisim and racial bigotry towards the fear of the migrant crisis, the middle east issue and the over exaggerated anti-islamic right wing played a huge part in the vote.

I just hope they all realised the leaving will not stop any of the above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom