Template errors

• Template public:post_macros: [E_USER_WARNING] Accessed unknown getter 'Promotions' on XF:Post[2339537] (src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php:202)
  • Template public:post_macros: [E_USER_WARNING] Accessed unknown getter 'Promotions' on XF:Post[2339551] (src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php:202)
  • Template public:post_macros: [E_USER_WARNING] Accessed unknown getter 'Promotions' on XF:Post[2339583] (src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php:202)
  • Template public:post_macros: [E_USER_WARNING] Accessed unknown getter 'Promotions' on XF:Post[2339649] (src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php:202)
  • Template public:post_macros: [E_USER_WARNING] Accessed unknown getter 'Promotions' on XF:Post[2339653] (src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php:202)
  • Template public:post_macros: [E_USER_WARNING] Accessed unknown getter 'Promotions' on XF:Post[2339661] (src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php:202)
  • Template public:post_macros: [E_USER_WARNING] Accessed unknown getter 'Promotions' on XF:Post[2339672] (src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php:202)
  • Template public:post_macros: [E_USER_WARNING] Accessed unknown getter 'Promotions' on XF:Post[2339704] (src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php:202)
  • Template public:post_macros: [E_USER_WARNING] Accessed unknown getter 'Promotions' on XF:Post[2339707] (src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php:202)
  • Template public:post_macros: [E_USER_WARNING] Accessed unknown getter 'Promotions' on XF:Post[2339873] (src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php:202)
  • Template public:post_macros: [E_USER_WARNING] Accessed unknown getter 'Promotions' on XF:Post[2340041] (src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php:202)
  • Template public:post_macros: [E_USER_WARNING] Accessed unknown getter 'Promotions' on XF:Post[2340235] (src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php:202)
  • Template public:post_macros: [E_USER_WARNING] Accessed unknown getter 'Promotions' on XF:Post[2340252] (src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php:202)
  • Template public:post_macros: [E_USER_WARNING] Accessed unknown getter 'Promotions' on XF:Post[2340273] (src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php:202)
  • Template public:post_macros: [E_USER_WARNING] Accessed unknown getter 'Promotions' on XF:Post[2340296] (src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php:202)
  • Template public:post_macros: [E_USER_WARNING] Accessed unknown getter 'Promotions' on XF:Post[2340301] (src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php:202)
  • Template public:post_macros: [E_USER_WARNING] Accessed unknown getter 'Promotions' on XF:Post[2340306] (src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php:202)
  • Template public:post_macros: [E_USER_WARNING] Accessed unknown getter 'Promotions' on XF:Post[2340313] (src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php:202)
  • Template public:post_macros: [E_USER_WARNING] Accessed unknown getter 'Promotions' on XF:Post[2340340] (src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php:202)
  • Template public:post_macros: [E_USER_WARNING] Accessed unknown getter 'Promotions' on XF:Post[2340349] (src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php:202)
Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The times were a-changing, and somehow Sycorax Laveaux, Senator of Dahrtag, was at the heart of it. She was about the last person you would expect to engage in progressive activism—and indeed, no one was more surprised to see her leading the charge than Sycorax herself. An Isolationist Shepherd who favored planetary rights, she had nonetheless authored a bill which would strongarm a ban on sexual discrimination across the Alliance. Part of her sincerely hoped the worlds that would be most strongly affected by the bill would declare their independence from the GA. Mostly because it would be amusing to watch them react with outrage to the notion of gender equality, but also because she felt awful about forcing an interstellar law down all their throats. Slippery slopes and all that.

But alas. Hapes and other planets like it were simply too cringe to live and let live. At least, not as long as they were calling themselves member worlds. It went against the Alliance brand of freedom and justice for all, and was simply not a good look. It remained to be seen whether the Senate would agree, or if individual interests would win out in the end.

Ready to present the bill, Sycorax’s pod floated toward the center of the chamber and began its orbit as she addressed the Senate:

Chancellor. Fellow Senators and representatives. I stand before you today to address a matter which should have been dealt with long ago: legal discrimination on the basis of sex. You may say that we already have laws which prohibit the unfair treatment of individuals based on their gender along with other aspects of their identity, and that is true. But such laws are not universal, and they often possess many loopholes through which they are rendered impotent.

“I present to you the Equal Rights Act, a proposed amendment to the Alliance bill of rights: ‘
Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the Galactic Alliance or by any State on account of sex.’ This new amendment will provide gender pay parity, equal property rights and access to social services, and so on. It will also reduce the grace period during which new member worlds must comply with Alliance federal law.

“I relinquish the floor for debate.

SENATE FLOOR
CORUSCANT
- Sycorax Laveaux Sycorax Laveaux - Senators -

This bill had been a long time coming.

Alicio now stood alone in his senate pod. No aides, no assistants. Just him, wearing a simple suitcoat, a badge of gleaming chalcedony pinned on his lapel. It was the only signifier of his new status as king of Alderaan. The people's trust had been passed to him and his wife, though neither of them were all too enthusiastic about it.

Taking the throne complicated the former Count's life considerably. Alderaan required his constant attendance, so a trip to Coruscant like this was a big deal. Yet, he was here, to show support to an ally. The ramifications of this bill were far too important to phone in, or send a proxy.

Alicio had assured Senator Laveaux, once upon a time, that worthwhile change could be made through the legal avenues of the Senate. Since then, she had taken his words to heart, or at least, was taking them for a test drive. Sycorax's Equal Rights Act signaled a shift in Alliance politics, were it to pass. No longer would the Alliance concede it's values to keep the peace.

They sailed into dangerous territory. But that didn't mean they should turn around.

"Alderaan stands in full support." Alicio's quiet voice had no problem filling the room. "We, the Galactic Alliance, hold ourselves up as a a beacon of equality and equity in the galaxy. The battles we have fought, the wars we have won, have been in the service of these goals, to provide freedom to the people, no matter who they were, or where they came from. I see no reason to abandon these ideals now."

Alicio could have continued, talked the ears off a Gundark, but he fell silent instead, awaiting the next speaker. It didn't serve his goals to drone on and on about the necessity of upholding the GA's integrity. They would get the point.

Hours before at the Mon Mothma General Hospital…

Inside a hospital room wearing a traditional Mon Calamari uniform, Rens Ahim slept in a chair. Then a young voice spoke up.

"Dad? Dad?"

Stirring with a grunt the senator opened and closed his eyes repeatedly. With a yawn he finally looked over to the patient lying on the bed. Before him was a thirteen years old Nikto boy with green skin. The latter's black eyes looked to the Mon Calamari with a warm smile which was returned.

"Yes Gel? Do you need something?"

Still smiling, Gel shook his head replying. "No but don't you need to get ready soon? That new big vote is coming up."

Rens nodded back.

"Yes you're right there is but I still got time to spend with you. Once your mother gets here I will get going but not until then."

Despite the pain he was feeling Gel smiled some more. Then it faltered with a confused expression as he asked.

"There's something I don't understand about this bill Dad. Aren't we supposed to be equal under Alliance law? So why a new bill for it?"

Rens listened and was filled with pride at how his adopted son was asking such questions. He was staying informed. Something that more adults should learn from in Rens' point of view. Clearing his throat the former lawyer explained.

"Generally speaking we are but there are some member states that use loopholes to avoid granting these rights to their own citizens. This act is hopefully to reinforce the equality of both men and women in our Alliance regardless of what worlds or cultures they live in."

"Sounds fair but why would anyone be against that?"

Sighing Rens reached over and grabbed Gel's left hand as he went on.

"Son people including whole societies have different opinions and beliefs. It gets messy and is complicated to put it mildly. All the same discrimination against someone just because of their gender shouldn't be tolerated in the Federation of Free Alliance. I won't lie to you Gel, it won't be easy but this legislation is more than necessary for our civilization's future. Your future and that of your sisters and brother and generations to come."

Hearing all that Gel gave it some thought before squeezing his father's webbed hand.

"I'm proud that you're going to vote for it Dad."

"And I'm proud of you all, my family." Rens said, fighting back tears. He meant every word of it.

Present time at the Senate
Flanked by his aides, and his representative Senator Rens Ahim stood on the podium. He was still wearing the same uniform from this morning. He let others speak first. At the podium Rens reflected on what he was to do. There will be consequences with both predictable and unforeseeable results.

All the same he believed in all his heart that this was the right thing to do. The Alliance will have to endure the growing pains to come from this but so be it. Activating the pod's microphone Rens declared.

"Bestine without reservation supports the passage of the Equal Rights Act."

Then he fell silent folding his arms across the chest, seeing no further need to speak for now.

Last edited:
Lehvi Vass stood at his pod, sipping on some water, as the debates set off in earnest.

As Senator Ahim concluded his statement, he moved his pod forward.

"Senators and Representatives...we call this Galactic Alliance of ours, by many names.

'The bastion of democracy'.

'The shining city on the hill.'

"We cannot reconcile who we say we are, while allowing the issue of systemic gender inequality to go unchallenged within the borders of the Alliance. With the idea that if you are born a man or a woman, you will just resign yourself to disparate outcomes under the law. We cannot say we are for the justice of all, but then shrink from doing what is right over what is easy, that maintains the status quo, and maintains a familiar peace.

"Because I say this, Senators: peace is not merely the absence of tension, but the presence of justice."

Lehvi paused to take a sip of water.

"Haruun Kal, represented by the Al'Har Federation, unequivocally supports the passage of the Equal Rights Act."

Sycorax Laveaux Sycorax Laveaux | Alicio Organa Alicio Organa | Rens Ahim Rens Ahim

EQUAL RIGHTS ACT
vKSkm56.png

Lehvi Vass Lehvi Vass Rens Ahim Rens Ahim Alicio Organa Alicio Organa Sycorax Laveaux Sycorax Laveaux
d7smr0e-a4d5b444-01d3-4007-aabb-30730510d484.jpg

The Trade Federation's Minister eagerly glanced at the data pad in hand, captivated by the Interstellar Stock Market's display. Despite the recent break-in at the IMP500 Stock Exchange on Muunilinst, which had caused some shareholders to doubt the Federation's ability to safeguard their investments, the data showed that they were still ahead of their competitors such as the Commerce Guild and the InterGalactic Banking Clan.

The activity briefly halted as the senate moved on to discuss a bill regarding equal rights for all citizens of the Galactic Alliance, despite certain planetary governments imposing restrictions based on societal norms which was within their given right as Sovereign Systems.

The Minister believed the entire matter was already covered in the Federal Constitution, deeming a separate vote unnecessary.

It would certainly be detrimental for the Trade Federation if the Federal Assembly took real action to improve the lives of the citizens; after all, they might start demanding similar treatment in the myriad of war factories spread across their territory.

"While I commend the efforts to restore rights to all citizens, surely we could spend this session on something more vitally important such as the Imperial Blockade over Onderon and the Caldera Crisis. Each of these pose an imminent threat to the Galactic Alliance far more so than simply man vs woman, others vs non-others." The Minister explained moving his pod forward to address the united assembly. They had much better things to do than debate on human and species rights at this time.

if they're watching anyways

"If the representative from the Trade Federation would like to submit an application to join the Defense Committee, he is welcome to- oh, no, he's not. Corporation. Whoops."

She gave an exaggerated wave of her hand, like, "Duh!"

"This legislation is long overdue, and I commend the member for Dahrtag for her thorough and focused work on this matter. In the same way we should not suffer the evils of the Sith wherever they exist in the galaxy, we should not suffer societal moral failures like gendered discrimination. Through the reduction of the grace period we also ensure future member worlds begin the process of becoming more equal and just societies without our direct intervention.

"I do indeed agree with Representative Grimmin; this is not something we must take our time on. Unless there are any further comments, I will move to bring this to a vote."

"Obulette Speaks," came a familiar and often unwelcome voice.

Casteban Mecetti stood in his pod, addressing the assembly.

"I am inclined to endorse this legislation, as I am of the opinion that merit- and not sex or gender- should determine the value of a person and their achievements in society. I see no reason to prefer women or men in regards to Federally mandated rights.

But I do have an important caveat I wish to present.

There are deep traditions about succession among the nobles of the Tapani Sector.

Some Houses, like my own, have no preference on the sex of a successor.

But other Noble Houses of the Tapani Sector do have their succession tied to sex. Males are preferred in some cases. Females in others. These are matters of law for the Houses in question, tied to the traditions of their home systems.

I know the Tapani Sector nobles would not wish their traditions of noble inheritance to be interfered with by Federal Fiat.

As such, I can only endorse this bill if it is explicitly stated that traditions of noble succession are not impacted."

Apparently, that was all. He sat again, relinquishing the floor to the next speaker. It was perhaps the least sour and contentious comment he'd shared all year within the bounds of the Senate building.

Kalen

K
Reef Fortress, Hapes

"Force, she's annoying."

"Who, the Chancellor? I sorta fancy her."

"Quiet." Kalen's voice silenced the chatter in the room. The leaders of the Se'n Dorrin cell that had captured Reef Fortress were clustered all in one room, where a portable holo projector was livestreaming the debate. "She's calling for a vote already."

No doubt the Queen Mother would make an appearance soon. Kalen didn't think her voice mattered at this point, but he would listen to every word nonetheless, searching for signs of treachery. As if he could read her next move in her voice and gestures.

He glanced briefly toward the Jedi Master, kneeling on the floor with eyes closed. Oukranos Cthylla had been in a trance all afternoon, all of his concentration focused on upholding a barrier around the Fortress. Thanks to the Jedi, the Hapan Defense Forces had been unable to penetrate the shield. Yet it was only a matter of time. The Jedi may have had all the powers of a god, but he was only mortal. He would grow tired and weak.

Besides, he had vowed to stay with them just until the bill was passed. Then he would return to his Temple, and they would be on their own again. Some of the Se'n Dorrin had agreed to stay and hold off the HDF while the rest escaped, lived to fight another day. Kalen would not be among them. He knew he had no future, despite Nathan Bloodscrawl Nathan Bloodscrawl 's urging him to flee to safety. Hapes was his homeworld, and he would die here on his own terms.

Horace von Cholmondeley II

H
Zollern Castle, Ukatis

Through bleary eyes, King Horace of Ukatis stared into the fire at the foot of his bed. "Marshal," he rasped. "Are you there?"

"I am here, Your Majesty," came the comforting and familiar voice of Wilhelm the Marshal, standing somewhere on the king's right.

"Have my orders been executed?" Horace asked.

"Yes, Your Majesty."

"Good." Horace's eyes fluttered shut for a moment, before he opened them again, fighting for cognizance. "Call the vizier. I wish to name my successor."

There was a pause, before the Marshal said, "It will be done, my king," and left. Horace listened to the sound of his boots departing the room, and smiled. It had been seven years since he got the diagnosis. He had been dying for seven years. That was a long walk toward eternity, but he had finally reached his destination. Best to go out with a bang...

Pheonix listened to all the points being points being said and only one minor point being thrown out by Casteban Mecetti of the Tapani Sector. Though the idea was a noble one, one that Empress Teta had embraced since their founding well before the formation of the first republic it was not necessarily one that was easily decided upon. It affected culture and the way some worlds had operated for nearly eons. It was a breaking of what made a world unique, a destruction of its identity and individualism. The right to decide what was best for its worlds, though Phoenix had no idea how a world like Hapes might vote their reason for imposing sexism for thousands of years was a valid one, that this law would impose upon.

On Empress Teta things like heirs when they had a Crown had been decided upon by merit and age. Even if under the surface there were darker roots that actually decided who was given the crown. It had never mattered if that ruler had been male or female so long as they served with pride for the world and it’s culture to remain intact at all costs. Fight to keep your identity and never let anyone take that from you, who you were and who your people were was the most valuable thing in all the Galaxy to strip that away was to erode truth.

The senator of empress Teta stood up and took the floor. “I oppose.” Her voice was strong and booming as she spoke of her descent of the proposition. “The worlds should be the ones to decide how their societies operate not the senate. It is their cultures that you are seeking to destroy, many of them have operated under certain laws to keep their worlds stable. Let them decide what works best for them, what has kept their worlds stable and secure. Though I do agree this cause is very noble and a just one it will only cause more instability on some worlds uprooting some very foundations of their societies. On top of that this proposition does not offer anyway for the Alliance to enforce and impose such a law on those worlds that might descend. If there was a way to ease the transition for those worlds with aid and way to enforce such a law without violent force needing to be imposed Empress Teta might reconsider. Yet as it stands this law is either superficial or malicious attempt to strip worlds of their culture as it stands currently.”

Phoenix then took her seat awaiting the dismissal or vitriol towards her stance and opinion on the matter. The cause was noble in Phoenix’s mind but misguided without a way to transition the worlds with minimal blood shed and without erasing cultural identity. It was a short step to the Garhoon incident playing out all over again, overstepping to the point it could lead to genocide of a culture or in the case of the Garhoon a species.

Last edited:

if30vNP.png

b1jJwVE.png

"It certainly does feel malicious," Kha'la said after Phoenix Kasari Phoenix Kasari became the first to speak up against the bill. "Has all of this been a plan of the senate or just a coincidence? You ask my people to join your Alliance for our Naval strength. For the lives we can throw away to protect your borders against Mandalorians or Sith, and now you choose to propose a bill that forces our culture to change?" Kha'la laughed through her nose and shook her head in disbelief.

Historically, many had complained about the Senate and its schemes, both at the individual level between senators and within the room as a whole. She had not expected to feel targeted by them herself, not after what Hapes had done for the Alliance in recent history.

Looking around the room, Kha'la sought to make eye contact with each senator. She wondered how many knew about her people's history. About why things were the way that they were. But perhaps only one other person in this room truly understood this part of history. Malcoma Hesse Malcoma Hesse , a woman born into Hapan nobility, had joined her entourage from Hapes to address the Senate and find a way forward.

She, too, would be allowed a voice.

"I oppose as well, for much the same reason that Senator Kasari does. My people's culture is rooted in history that we do not easily forget."

Malcoma Hesse Malcoma Hesse | Others

HApes1.png

At first, there was nothing but a chorus of assent. Sycorax observed with a faint smirk as Senator Organa led the charge, followed by Senator Ahim and Ambassador Vass. Even the self-serving Trade Federation and the sour-faced Senator Mecetti seemed in agreement, with a few minor caveats. Chancellor Auteme dismissed Grimmin's claims and called for a vote in record time.

Yet Sycorax remained tense and ready for the inevitable dissenting voice. Unexpectedly, Hapes wasn’t the first to protest. The Senator of Empress Teta cited planetary rights as her reason for disagreeing with the bill. Sycorax repressed a sigh. “I agree with you, Senator Kasari, that planetary rights must be secured. But we Shepherds must pick our battles, or else the Stewards will ask us ‘Planetary rights to do what?’ and actually have a point beyond utilizing soft imperialism to line their pockets.

“As for anyone arguing that the ERA is irrelevant or unimportant—Hapes, the planet which will be most strongly affected by the passage of this bill, is
already experiencing turmoil as a result of its inequality. Should the ERA not pass, they will still have to confront the matter, most likely with far less satisfactory results.

"Oh, and to the Senator of Obulette—I hate to lose your support, but your request would constitute sexual discrimination over who gets to be the Tapani Sector's leaders. So the answer is no.
"

Enter the Queen Mother.

"Has all of this been a plan of the senate or just a coincidence? You ask my people to join your Alliance for our Naval strength. For the lives we can throw away to protect your borders against Mandalorians or Sith, and now you choose to propose a bill that forces our culture to change?"

I don’t like most of the people here enough to talk about the weather, let alone plot and scheme with them, so no, it's not a conspiracy against Hapes,” Sycorax answered her first question with a faint chuckle. “The ERA was first inspired by Ukatis, whose patriarchal culture oppresses their women in a particularly brutal manner. Unfortunately they were invaded by the Mandalorians right before I submitted the bill, and despite my best efforts to involve them, they were… otherwise occupied.

Then Kha’la offered the weakest argument against the bill yet. While they waited for the next speaker, Sycorax began scribbling at her podium. She actually did the math: 41.25 lifetimes had passed since the overthrow of the Lorell Pirates and the founding of the Hapes Consortium 4,950 years ago. The implications of her claim that the Hapans "do not easily forget" ancient history were so ridiculous, the Senator of Dahrtag didn't even bother to address them. Why bother with low hanging fruit when there were better moves to play?

“Remember when I said this bill was originally supposed to affect Ukatis?" she asked, looking up from her datapad. "The pendulum swings both ways. It may be that the Senator of Hapes doesn't give a damn about women outside her planet—hell, I’m not sure she thinks all that highly of Hapan women either, since she speaks as if they are so vulnerable to the predations of men that they have no choice but to limit the rights of their fathers, husbands, and sons. But suffice to say, the ERA is about more than Hapes; it would be detrimental for many a female across the Alliance if it does not pass. If the Senator of Hapes is willing to have that on her conscience, after trying to claim that her world’s ancient history is enough of an excuse to continue oppressing its male population, she is welcome to do so.” It would certainly make Sycorax's job a lot easier.

Last edited:
"Nominally the Galactic Alliance is meant to be a meritocracy. Problems with nepotism and government contract corruption notwithstanding, a meritocracy is what we should strive to be. I speak in support of the motion to extend equal rights to the male and male identifying peoples of the Hapes Cluster. If this world is genuine in its desire to delcare itself a member of the Alliance in good standing then of course the Hapan senator certainly should find no reason to oppose the measure, correct?" Corrine said, quite content with her stance on it. She had risen to a prominent position militarily, and now politically. There were certainly men that objected to her ranking, but they knew better than to say it to her face. She had a reputation as someone who did not tolerate any kind of prejudices, and that extended to her political thought.

She looked around to the rest of her colleagues,
"Of course, the fact that this affects much more than just the Hapes Cluster. We speak of freedom, justice, and equality. It is time to codify it into the legal system."

Alicio Organa Alicio Organa Kha'la Daaray Kha'la Daaray Phoenix Kasari Phoenix Kasari Casteban Mecetti Casteban Mecetti Auteme Auteme Lodd Grimmin Lodd Grimmin Levy Willamina Levy Willamina Rens Ahim Rens Ahim

"You speak of freedom, yet, you advocate to force change upon a planet's culture." The slim blonde stood up and spoke out. The Ensolican senator wore a royal blue ensemble and kept her hair in a tight bun. She, herself, hails from the Ensolican Hierarchy, a hierarchal meritocracy, though she knows what comes with forcing change upon a society's culture. Especially ones as longstanding as the Hapes Consortium.

"That sounds like the opposite to me. I agree that none should be oppressed based on what or who they are, but I do not see how this bill is fair to the people of these worlds. Many of them have lived this way in peace long before any of us could even speak words. Recent uprisings are hardly enough evidence to enforce such a decision. Until it becomes a problem for the Alliance in it's entirety, it should be up to the planet's themselves to decide."

Valeria looked to the Hapan Queen. "I oppose as well."

Last edited:
”It is already an issue for the Alliance when our troops fight in said rebellion Senator Aranda.” Rens replied then he looked back to the Queen of Hapes.

He refused flinched at her gaze nor was he smug about it but bore a stoic expression. The Mon Calamari had no hatred for her in fact he respected the monarch even though they didn’t see eye to eye on this matter.

”Your majesty I won’t dispute your people’s contribution to this Federation and I’m truly grateful for it. But please remember many members of our Defense Forces came to your aid against the Se'n Dorrin. Our blood was spilled with yours in that shared struggle.”

Pausing for a moment Rens considered his next words carefully before asking in sincerity.

”Please tell us your majesty which of your cultural values are you specifically concerned for relating to this legislation?”

Last edited:

There was plenty of immediate approval, which Alicio was happy to see. It was, unfortunately, expected that dissent would emerge from the woodworks, once the wave of support died off. It was the usual arguments against social reform, from what Alicio could tell. States' rights. Security. Order.

Not to say they weren't valid. It was entirely reasonable to be concerned about governmental overreach, and the effects of social imbalance. But some battles were worth fighting, despite the risks.

"Finally, we ask the age-old question." Alicio's tone was light, even if his face was not. "Which is more important to this senate? The freedom for a governmental body to oppress a portion of their citizenry on the basis of birth, or the freedom of the citizenry from such a body? I ask every member of this assembly to ponder that question."

Then, Alicio turned storm-grey eyes upon the new senator from Thyrsus. "Perhaps Senator Vodus is right. Only an Empire would impose restrictions upon it's member worlds. The Galactic Alliance should then consider relaxing it's food safety guidelines, or removing it's labor laws. Who are we to keep a planet from slavery, if it's an important part of their culture? Perhaps Senator Fal Gore had a point, and we should unban every drug in the galaxy."

Alicio sighed. He dropped his devil's advocate role quickly enough, showing sincerity to Kha'la Daaray Kha'la Daaray , along with Rens Ahim Rens Ahim . "I sympathize with the unrest in Hapes. But the fact remains that there is already unrest. This issue is at your doorstep, Queen Mother. If not through this, how do you plan to address it?"

SMfk33E.png

Kha'la Daaray Kha'la Daaray | Phoenix Kasari Phoenix Kasari | Corrine de Montaigne Corrine de Montaigne | Sycorax Laveaux Sycorax Laveaux |
Alicio Organa Alicio Organa | Casteban Mecetti Casteban Mecetti | Auteme Auteme | Lodd Grimmin Lodd Grimmin | Rens Ahim Rens Ahim | Val Aranda Val Aranda

"No two cultures are the same, I do agree each incident from a member world that does not treat citizens with equal rights should be investigated, but they should be investigated individually, on a case by case basis." He wasn't looking for the twisting of words, "this law also reduces the time for new member planets to comply with Alliance Laws. This should be noted by any all Senators. A council leadership or even a dictator are not likely to enforce a sudden change in laws planetary wide so quickly. I apologize for speaking out of turn, and yield my further time to the Senate unless addressed."

Atos sat down, hoping his meaning was clear. A sudden blanket law for all planets with billions of populations requiring a major culture shift could itself cause rebellions. Planets should find their way to Equal Rights on their own. Atos voted in opposition to prevent these rebellions, and keep the stability of the Alliance strong.
feFunaq.png]

Lehvi struggled to keep his face clear as he moved his pod forward.

"Interestingly enough, I've heard the word 'freedom' bandied around quite a bit. And how enforcement of the ERA will cause discontent in a number of worlds, as Senator Votus and Senator Aranda have suggested.

"To be frank- and I hate to cast aspersions on member worlds- but if respect for your 'culture' means this body should ignore rampant, systemic discrimination, then what is the point of this democratic enterprise? Surely not to ensure the rights and freedoms of all beings. Just the when it's convenient to do so.

"And echoing the Good Senators from Alderaan and Mon Calamari, Queen Mother", Lehvi continued, staring the woman down, "The issue is at your already at door-step. I saw it first hand, when I negotiated the release of hostages at Crystal Reef. The Alliance bled for it. Respectfully, your calls for the status quo- yours and countless of your predecessors- has nurtured the rebellion at your doorstep through your actions and inaction. You have left generations of men no options, no recourse, no hope. You made them so desperate, that you have a generation that will die for their rights. You think you can walk that back? Sorry, the akk dog's out of the pen, you can't.

"We shouldn't shirk from doing what is right, because it's easier to maintain the status quo- to maintain an obnoxious, untenable peace."

Sycorax Laveaux Sycorax Laveaux | Alicio Organa Alicio Organa | Rens Ahim Rens Ahim | Lodd Grimmin Lodd Grimmin | Auteme Auteme | Casteban Mecetti Casteban Mecetti | Phoenix Kasari Phoenix Kasari | Kha'la Daaray Kha'la Daaray | Corrine de Montaigne Corrine de Montaigne | Val Aranda Val Aranda | Atos Vodus Atos Vodus

Last edited:

Phoenix listened to opposition to her viewpoints, some thought they were just doing the right thing, but the majority were ideologues. Phoenix also listened heavily to the words of the Ta'a Chume, knowing the history of Hapes cluster fairly well herself. She had friends an family in the Hapes Cluster, well did many years ago. She knew the story of how the women of the cluster banded together to push back the rapist, murdering, and raiding Male groups that lorded over the system. How a foundation was built that women should rule and never let a man have the power again. It was an inspirational story and the very foundation of Hapes society as it stood today. They built an unstoppable navy that held back even the Galactic Empire at its height.

A formidable society with a navy that withstood the onslaught of the most powerful Imperial regime. Here a bunch of idealogues were preaching morality to them, telling them their culture was wrong. To let go of the past kill it if you have to forgetting that those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it. It took time to let go of prejudices and it took time to build trust, no one could dictate how long that would take. Ye the Alliance thought they could just wipe it out with a law that everyone must abide by. The thing with Hapes which Phoenix knew those pirates of the Hapes cluster still existed and they knew the history too better than most of the senators in this room.

Phoenix thought for a moment to raise her voice once more to speak out against the senator of Dahrtag. Yet she held her tongue for now, not liking how the woman spoke to or of the Queen Mother of Hapes, even the others senators. Instead, Phoenix turned to Senator Ahim who was questioning the Queen Mother. "Bestine IV, I have not been there but there is island there called Tusken, it's important along with the fort of the same name there to the people of that world and its culture. Yet it also very insensitive and discriminatory towards the native people of Tatooine maybe the next act will force you to change it what do you think the people of your world will think of that forced to change a part of their history for morality's sake?"

With out hesitation she then turned to Lehvi Vass. "Do you think your people are willing to give equal standing in your society to the Balawai whom there has long been prejudice with as well as tribal conflicts among the people of Haruun Kal. You think that just goes away cause a law is in acted, those fences have to be mended on the world by its people not with threats of fines or bloodshed from an outside military. Last time that happened it only made the situation worse."

She had more to say to a few of the others but she stopped at pointing out the slippery slop they were creating and how it could destroy culture or cause a bigger issue if this law was in acted especially with the time frame put on it asking for immediate change which was not a feasible or even obtainable without bigger issues coming from it like violence towards the very people the GA was swearing they protected. "Change and progress comes overtime you can't lock it into a time frame, if you bury it and hide it under laws like this that aren't decided by the people when they are ready the worlds it affects become ticking time bombs. That hate and anger doesn't dissipate, it festers in the shadows until it becomes something much worse. Leave it in the open and people will judge for themselves and do the right thing when the time is right. Culture can change and it does but it takes the people and time to shift and change it, not the government."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom