Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction Hostage Situation - Reef Fortress, Hapes [GA, NJO]

Kalen

K
Reef Fortress, Hapes

Kalen stood before a force cage, peering through the barrier of crackling energy at the man within. “You?” he hissed, eyes widening as he recognized the face of the prisoner. “You’re the Jedi spy?

“Sinsor Galney”, supposedly the stepson of a Ducha, had only recently been exposed as an impostor. Details were fuzzy, but all witnesses agreed that “Sinsor” had tried to intervene in the interrogation of one of the hostages. There was a scuffle, but Commander Thane and his men had managed to subdue the Jedi. Kalen suspected he had allowed himself to be taken captive.

The prisoner said nothing. A bruise had darkened his cheek, and a bandaged wound above his right eyebrow was soaked with green blood. “Who in their right mind thought you could pass for a Hapan?” Kalen muttered.

“Unfortunately, there were no Hapan Jedi available,” the prisoner replied. “They figured I was handsome enough to pass.”

Of course.” Kalen snorted derisively. “Your backstory was convincing, at least. All those details about your wicked stepmother, your anger and hatred toward women… But it was all a lie, wasn’t it?” Resting his hands on his hips, he peered at the prisoner through the cage. “Who are you really?

The Jedi held his gaze. “It would not be in my best interest to answer that question.”

No matter. It’s only a matter of time before we find out. Hours, at the most.” Kalen set his jaw. It was one thing to find a spy in their ranks, but the bitter rancor he felt had more to do with who the traitor turned out to be. Why did it have to be Sinsor, a man he had once considered among the best of them?

Do you know why they call me ‘Womanslayer’?” Kalen asked. “I was married at seventeen to a princess who would beat me for no reason. When I asked her why, she told me that she did it because she enjoyed it, and that it was all right for her to hit me, for she was a woman and of royal blood. But if I dared to strike her... Well, I submitted to this for two years, never uttering a complaint or raising a hand against her, until one day she went too far. I realized she would kill me if I didn’t stop her. So I took the knife out of her hand, and I stabbed her seventeen times.

As he spoke, the Jedi’s presence seemed to melt away. He was no longer telling the story, but reliving it in all its blood-soaked fury.

They branded me with the epithet of ‘womanslayer’—a brutish beast, the lowest of the low—and threw me in prison. I spent countless years rotting in a cell. Then I escaped and joined a pirate crew, like so many men before me have done. After ten years in space, I realized I was surrounded by old men who had once dreamed of a better world. But they merely took comfort in the fantasy, while reality got worse. Those old men could’ve started a revolution a long time ago, but they didn’t, and for their inaction the youth suffered—I suffered. I made a vow that I wouldn’t be like them. I would make sure that the next generation of Hapans would never have to live through the things I did.

“You think torturing and killing people will save your world?” the Jedi asked. “The Alliance will come down hard on you for this. You’ll be seen as a butcher, not a liberator.”

Whatever it takes to get their attention.” Stepping away, Kalen activated his commlink. “Send a message to the Jedi Order. Tell them we have their spy in custody. If they want him, they’ll have to give us what we want first. Kalen out.

Eku1KfW.png

Objective: Hostage Negotiation

The Se'n Dorrin, a terrorist group dedicated to the overthrow of the matriarchal Hapan government, have seized control of Reef Fortress. Jedi Master Oukranos Cthylla went undercover as a spy and managed to infiltrate their ranks, but his deception has been exposed. The Se'n Dorrin are now holding him as well as the Fortress’ commander hostage. The Hapan military, eager to put down the rebellion, is uninterested in wasting precious time to save a handful of commoners and a Jedi. Negotiate with the terrorists to free the hostages before their patience runs out.

This is one of two threads exploring the political situation on Hapes. The other more warposting-focused thread, "Punk Tactics", can be found here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tulan Kor was getting old.

He felt it every morning when he woke up. When he did his 60 push ups, when he ran his two miles, and when he ate breakfast right after. He felt it in his feet, in his hands, in his elbows.

But not in his mind. His mind was sharp as ever. Middle age had been kinder to Tulan than most- thanks to a diet, rigorous training, and a few stims here and there to get him by. The scarred killer had not lost his edge. He was a little slower, he was a little tighter in some pants, but he was still-

Tulan fucking Kor.

Tulan was informed of the situation, and being that Special Operations were his forte, he elected to push past smug Jedi, smug Alliance assholes, and reach a Katarn-armored hand around the commlink.

The Jedi would speak with wisdom, with care. But Tulan wouldn't wax poetic, no honey in his words. His voice across the commlink was gravel across leather. He spoke with authority, he spoke with the weight of a man who had spent the last three decades killing people for one government or another. He was unpleasant to look at and to be around.

But to be on the receiving end of? Tulan was terrifying.

"This is Commander Kor with the Alliance. List your demands and your expectations."

If they were reasonable, they could negotiate. If not- Well Tulan was just going to tell him that he was going to kill him and everyone he knew. He learned that from the Sith, admittedly. Targeting hostage takers families bit by bit, or their friends, or their livelihoods, and dismantle them piece by piece. Or put them in a position that they wouldn't want to be in.

Truth was, hostage takers rarely won in the end. They either died, or spent the rest of their lives running until they were caught.

But Tulan?

They wouldn't get the chance to run. They'd die terribly, violently, and swiftly. And painfully.

Very. Painfully.

Cale had never been to Hapes, but he'd cared for the system on account of someone he'd known from there. He hadn't seen the Jedi Princess in decades, if the force was merciful, she'd settled down somewhere quiet and lived out the rest of her life in peace. The stim between his lips caught a spark, and he took in a long drag as the orange glow cast itself across his face. He wasn't suited for this; Cale fought battles and survived wars; he wasn't a negotiator or an infiltrator, but he was deceptive. His robes hid what mass he had, his eyes were tired, as they always seemed to be, and his right arm was as absent as it ever was.

He didn't look dangerous. And maybe he didn't want to leave this part up to fate.

The Jedi exhaled a cloud of wispy gray smoke. He waited, staring into nothing, ruminating on the past and near future. These negotiations were going to fail; the saber he kept on his back would be used, and that was simply the way of things. He'd grown past the cynicism that had nearly drowned him, but Cale took the galaxy for what it was, not what he wished it to be.

When the negotiators went in, he'd be with them, mild-mannered, wry-smiled, taking a drag from a stim as he was now. With any luck, he'd stay that way.

But Cale Gunderson was not a lucky man.

qC8JFYe.png

Objective: Save the hostages
Tags: Aris Noble Aris Noble / Vera Noble Vera Noble
div1.png

Silas was as surprised as everyone else once the news came through.

The talk of terrorists taking hostages at Reef Fortress spread like wildfire, and before long troopers and Jedi alike were already on the scene to assist. Being one of the first to arrive Silas was quick to gather a small squad of commandos to join him in infiltrating the fortress quietly. They had been supplied detailed holograms of the layout by the Hapes government, it was the matter of where the hostages were being held that was the issue.

If they took too long or made the wrong move, there was a chance it could spell the end of the Jedi as well as the rest of the innocent who were with him.

Along with the quick thinking of the commandos, it didn't take long for them to identify a stream that came out of the tunnel. It was big enough for them to stand in, the only thing that prevented them from entering a large steel cage that stopped anyone from getting through. A lightsaber was sure to fix that problem quite easily.

There was however another thing Silas did have to worry about, the inclusion of two young Nobles. During the setup, he had received word from both Kahlil and Valery that Vera and Aris were under his watchful eye as they were on the scene for experience. Even though they knew Silas was more than capable, it was clear both his former masters were adamant about them being safe. They were their children, he knew how much both meant to them.

That plan on the other hand would be explained when they arrived. For now, all Silas and the commandos could do was prepare next to the entrance of the tunnel. All he hoped was that the two Nobles were prepared themselves...

Last edited:
Be careful what you wish for.

The last thing that evil wants...

ai.generated.art.photo-art-1701558005307.png.jpg

resonant-staff-hilt-lit-6.png

"Vanguard" (Secondary - Long Handle)
0cf9376e75158d86a4aaeac9fb408128.jpg

"CONSERVATOR" (Primary - Long Handle)
Robes, Battle Armor,Toraynor-Henkan(mind crystal added) Advanced Jedi Utility Belt
Starship: Spectre, HK-88 (NC-1000 X-wing (Jedi Variant) in the hangar, Dilorian, and Bike both in the cargo bay, the late Karki Eusith's Armor, Shield, Temple Guard Lightsaber mounted on the wall)
All postings occur after this thread and ensuing follow-ups.
Allies: OPEN
Foes: Anyone

”"be careful what you wish for, lest it come true"“ - Aesop’s Fables​

“There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no chaos; there is harmony.
There is no death; there is the Force.”

Words that the Jedi live by.

Words that those who “dislike” or “do not understand” the Jedi mock.

From youngling to Master, Jedi are expected to follow these words and pass them on to the next generation.

Easier said than done.

Ever since that fateful morning, his mind had been flooded with images, thoughts, and memories. As he sat and meditated, his demeanor was calm… okay… no it wasn’t. It was emotionless, and not in the serenity that a Jedi had been known for. It was cold, it was empty. There was nothing in his mind, but his wife, and his son, and that memory. Those images he would hold on to, that he asked to hold onto. Nothing else. His wife, Chrysothemis Atreides Vanagor and mother to their son Connel had fully renounced her association to the Sith long ago (for him) but still retained some of her old tricks. One of them (at his request) she used on her husband. She put him, not in a “mind control” but a… “reorganization” perse. She did not access his mind, but used specific words which he was receptive to:

“You will be an inexorable engine of destruction, remorseless, cunning and totally unstoppable…
You will feel no joy, other than the triumphant ecstasy over your enemies…
You will feel no pain other than that which kills you…
… and You will find untapped levels of strength in the deepest throes of despair.
Now go forth as a killing wraith and let no one deter you.”

Before it is misunderstood that the Massive Jedi Master was turned into some sort of Force Wielding Juggernaut like monster, Chrysothemis knew that his beliefs and lifetime of alignment would not accept these words fully. Which is why she chose them. What they would do was clean out his mind of anything holding him back, at least until she brought him back. She emptied his mind of his humanity. He was not a blind killer, he was not a murderer and never would be, but the wise, stoic Jedi Master that most knew today was gone. What was in his place was something, or in this case someone that the galaxy had seen before, but not in nine hundred years.

He was a powerful Jedi Master with a mindset of when he was a “crusader” of a Jedi Knight.

Some may wonder “Well, what does that mean?” Simply put, “F.A.F.O”, if you know? You know. Any other words would just be hyperbole,

The ship had long landed, and finally finished settling into the landing bay, and Vanagor was still meditating, not planning, or preparing. He was meditating, as if waiting to be activated, to be sent on the mission set forth of finding those responsible, or sending a message to them. That message was simple: if they didn’t want to see him, they should not have made him want to see them. There would be no reasoning, he did not care. There would be no bargaining, that part of his mind was closed. His eyes just opened though…

... is my undivided attention.

Hostage Rescues were tricky business. They were even trickier when any amount of thinking started to put you on the side of those that had deemed the hostage a necessary measure. Still, Vulpesen had a job to do and letting someone hold a jedi for ransom was a bad look, not to mention detrimental to the keeping of the galaxy's peace as a whole. "Sergeant, stand by for now." Vulpesen said to the head of his security detail. With only a dozen men at his back, Vulpesen had done his best to keep his reinforcements light. This was a delicate situation and he preferred not to risk aggravating things to violence, not with lives beyond his own on the line.

Quietly, he walked over to commander Kor, his ears pricked to listen to the conversation to follow. The commander didn't seem like the most amiable of people and the Valde would by lying if he stated that such a truth didn't make him nervous. Still, it wasn't a job that he was eager to take over. He'd taken his position through actions, namely the action of tossing a tyrant's decapitated body out of a window. Vulpesen might have learned mercantilism as a child, but he was lifetimes away from Zarro's haggling apprentice. "What do we know?" The words weren't spoken to anyone in particular, mostly being asked simply so that he could get any extra information that could prove useful at a pivotal moment.

Tulan Kor Tulan Kor Cale Gunderson Cale Gunderson Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor Silas Westgard Silas Westgard Kalen

"Milord, this seems like a really...really bad idea."

Lehvi sighed through his nose, stifling the urge to rub his temples. His guards, bless their hearts, meant well. And by all indications, they probably weren't completely wrong.

He tried a different tactic.

"What you need to understand is that...regardless of how this situation is playing out- or plays out- the men in there have valid grievances. You all remember how the we were treated by the Confederacy, by the Balawai. Now imagine being treated differently, having disparate outcomes, denied basic rights and dignity... simply because of your gender."

He clapped his hands on both his dôshallai's- or brothers, in Korunnal- shoulders. They were young- too young to have ridden with the Ghôsh with the Crusaders against the Maw. 'This might be their fight real taste of battle, and they're afraid of having to look after me.'

"The Federation is in a unique position; we are not members of the Galactic Alliance- Haruun Kal is a small, unaligned Mid Rim world. Arguably, as far as good faith negotiators go, I think we fit the bill. All will be fine." The Riders assuaged, Lehvi turned around, making his way out of the hangar when he sensed something...

...Powerful.

Someone powerful.

'Has to be a Jedi', Lehvi thought, making his way to ramp of the ship where the Jedi's presence emanated.

'I should probably introduce myself; make sure no wires are crossed.'

"I don't supposed your heading to the Reef Fortress as well, Master Jedi?", he said, yelling into the ship.

Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor

Last edited:

Kalen

K
Kalen remained in the detention area, unwilling to take his eyes off of the Jedi. If he wanted to, the prisoner could almost certainly free himself. He had immense power at his disposal. Perhaps he would eventually decide he’d had enough, crush the cage with the Force and simply walk out of there. Yet for now he remained behind the barrier, sitting on the floor with his eyes closed. Meditating, no doubt. What sort of game was he playing?

The crackle of his commlink drew Kalen out of his thoughts.

"This is Commander Kor with the Alliance. List your demands and your expectations."

Pressing the device almost against his mouth, Kalen replied, “I asked for the New Jedi Order, Commander Kor, but I suppose you’ll have to do. Our demands are the following:

“One: you and your forces must stand down. If you so much as fire on us accidentally, the hostages will die.

“Two: the Alliance must immediately pass the Equal Rights Act
without debate. We cannot afford to delay progress any longer just to stroke the egos of politicians.

“Three: Queen Mother Kha'la Daaray Kha'la Daaray must abdicate the throne of Hapes, and the rest of her administration must leave office with her. A new Hapan government is required for a new Hapan society.

“My expectation is that you will sacrifice the hostages and impede social justice in the vain hope that a beautiful Hapan woman might take notice of you. Or, if this is the infamous Commander Tulan Kor, because you simply enjoy killing.

Robes, Battle Armor,Toraynor-Henkan(mind crystal added) Advanced Jedi Utility Belt
Starship: Spectre, HK-88 (NC-1000 X-wing (Jedi Variant) in the hangar, Dilorian, and Bike both in the cargo bay, the late Karki Eusith's Armor, Shield, Temple Guard Lightsaber mounted on the wall)
Allies: Lehvi Vass Lehvi Vass
Foes: Anyone

He did not have gear to grab, he was already carrying everything. He did not need to refresh, he did before he set off. He was not hungry, he was not thirsty. He was not going over what was going on in the region or sectorCaltin was not even thinking about friends he had made over the years to whom were Hapan, friends like Romi Jade Romi Jade , and others. He was thinking about no one, nothing at all other than the fact that innocent people were being held hostage.

The “Caltin Vanagor of old” would be fighting his inner rage at the thought of this right now. However that was prematurely addressed by Chrysa in her mindset she put him in. Right now, all he was thinking about was them, focusing on what they were (no-doubt) thinking and feeling. Right now he would also be thinking about finding a way to get them to safety without needless fighting(even HE looked for alternatives when he could), now? Not the case.

When he sensed something outside, and the ramp lowered, the “trance” he looked to be in was pushing him out of it just as quickly. So the massive Jedi Master rose to his feet and made his way out of the back meditation room. Then he heard the voice yelling at him…

… as he turned the corner and down the ramp…

I am.

Caltin would have introduced himself by now, but he wasn’t feeling it. Vanagor only stopped because the Diplomat was standing in his way.

Eku1KfW.png

Wasn't all bad.

Tulan looked over at Vulpesen Vulpesen with a passive, but earnest look. As much as he could, with his face the way it was. He still didn't hate Nida Perl Nida Perl for doing it. But he wasn't a big fan when he couldn't smile at a joke because of one person. To say that someone was tough enough to power through Sith lightning from a Perl- and spare them, well. That made Tulan a lot of things. But chief among them, was a tough son of a queen. He was known by reputation, by action, by deed, and by bodycount.

Sith fell at his feet in droves, he filled graveyards with the corpses of the enemy. He'd been killing since he was an Antarian Ranger- ever since Task Force Raider. He was a violent man. That was an understatement.

So the "infamous" line that came from the terrorist was well-deserved and very appropriate. But Tulan didn't bask. He didn't wear his medals on his chest.

"I'll consider negotiating with you. But you will quickly understand, that you harm a hostage- there isn't a Jedi in the Alliance that'll stop me and everyone I know from killing you. I will kill you like the Sith taught me how to. And you won't like that. So get any idea of killing a hostage out of your head."

He took his finger off the comm-link, and turned to answer Vulpesen.

"We know he's a moron."

He clicked it back on.

"You know your position is untenable. So if you got any tricks, save them. This is a political game that the Alliance didn't want to get wrapped up in- all your politics, all your issues, that's all on you. Hell, if I had to guess-"

Tulan sat down, with the unmistakable sound of a middle-aged man sitting down in a comfy chair, when he let out a sigh and took a deep breath right after.

"They might let you go, or sit in a prison, or be some sort of political swap for peace or whatever. But I ain't changing hundreds, thousands of years of Hapan history. You- ain't either. You sit there, claiming social justice. What the hell does that even mean for you? What the hell are you gonna do with it- you're marked. You're a pariah, a liar. A thief. A cheat. A criminal. You just set back your movement with your cowardly move by Force knows how many months, years."

He waited, turning the commlink off for a moment, letting the silence fill the void between them before speaking again.

"There are currently some of the most experienced and well-trained killers coming to find you. They will. When they do, I want you to think of all you have to lose. Because if you don't let those hostages go and surrender peacefully, you won't even have time to think about anything else other than when a bullet goes through your head, or someone cuts you in half."

Another small silence.

"Also, I prefer Chiss women. I like blue."

Tulan tossed the Comm-link over to Vulpesen, resting his head on the armored gauntlet, turning it off so he didn't have to hear him anymore.

"He's all yours, Chief. I'm leaving in five minutes, no matter what he says."

Tags:

Kalen l Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor l Lehvi Vass Lehvi Vass l Silas Westgard Silas Westgard l Cale Gunderson Cale Gunderson

Hapes
div-purple.png
Tag: Silas Westgard Silas Westgard Aris Noble Aris Noble

"Are we going in yet?"
Vera asked as soon as she arrived with Aris Noble Aris Noble . "People are wasting time talking to those terrorists." Or, well, they were technically trying to buy time, but that was only useful if someone was ready and willing to infiltrate. These terrorists weren't going to get any of their demands — not like this — so they needed to be stopped. Swiftly and decisively.

"Padawans Noble are ready, Knight Westgard."

Vera briefly eyed the commandos and dipped her head. It wasn't uncommon for military branches to work together with the Jedi, especially not on special operations like this. Vera was eager to see them in action because of it, and she knew it'd be her job to keep everybody safe.

Silas and Aris could handle threats upfront — she would be most useful from the back.

TAG: Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor Kalen

Lehvi looked up at the large, imposing Jedi. Eyebrow raised at Vanagor, who had come down the ramp and stopped him in front of him.

And stared.

And stared.

And-

"Erm, Milord don't you have to-"

Lehvi jumped slightly, simultaneously angry at losing the impromptu stare-down, and embarrassed because, well, he wasn't (as he had to often remind members of the High Council when they acted in undemocratic ways ) a warlord, he was a statesman. He coughed into his hand and nodded to the Akk Rider.

"Of course, let's take off then."

The walk was short and silent, but long enough for Lehvi to regret not bringing a weapon (yes, the Force was your greatest weapon, but it's not lightsaber); but, again, statesman. He was cut off by his reverie as he began to be able to make out details of the Reef Fortress. And even then, he didn't get to admire the beauty(was everything beautiful in Hapes), splendor, and craftsmanship before four non-descript, well-armed men- presumably of the Se'n Dorrin- materialized in front of the duo, bristling with nervous energy.

"I am Lehvi Vass, Lor'pelek of the Al'Har Federation. We"- gesturing at the Jedi- have come to treatise with your leaders, and hopefully end this without bloodshed." The Se'n Dorrin glanced at each other and stepped away. A hushed conversation later, they formed a perimeter around them, walking them into the Fortress.

Well, no handcuffs. So far, so good.

Foes: Kalen

Caltin Vanagor was not a statesman.

He was a warrior.

He was a blunt instrument.

He was also experienced, even in the state that he was in right now.

The walk was indeed short and quiet, the statesman to his right smelled of the Force, but not of conversation, deciding not to introduce himself. That made no difference, it might be culture, it might be simple hubris, but if he didn’t Caltin would not either. They were not here to shoot the breeze, they were here to work, at least Caltin was.

Granted, it was his peripheral vision, but Vanagor could not see a weapon on the individual, Perhaps he was just here to talk? It would annoy the big man right now if he were capable of feeling, on top of the fact that they were now approaching armed individuals. It was not always that Caltin carried both of his lightsabers, “Conservator” and “Vanguard” but today was one of those days. “Conservator” was sheathed over his back like it always was. Slipping his hands behind his back, if a military man, Caltin would look like he were “standing at ease”, he made Vanguard (strapped over the small of his back) a little more visible to Levi should he need a weapon of his own. .

I am Caltin Vanagor, Jedi Master formerly of the Republic, both Galactic and “New”. Formerly of the Silver Jedi Concord. Elder with the Jakku Enclave and representing the New Jedi Order. Queen Mother Ta’a Chume once scoffed at our help, please learn from that history. There was no ulterior motive to the comment or request, it was what it was. Caltin may be colder than permafrost, but he wasn’t looking for a fight either.

Vulpesen stared down at the comlink in his hand, his eyes wide at the implication of its meaning. Suddenly, without warning, he was in charge of the shit show, which he believed wa an entirely fair description of the events considering how he was regarding the comlink in his hand. Confusion, aggravation, and disgust, a mixture of emotions that were quite appropriate for someone who had just had excrement slapped into their palm. I’m gonna kill him,’ he thought, which earned a telepathic chuckle from Ace who now deigned to poke his head out from Vulpesen’s pocket.

‘Before or after you save the hostages?'

“I don’t know yet.” He took a deep breath and stared down at the comlink, trying to compose his thoughts. “Just like turning a sith. Just like turning a sith. You might not be sleeping with this one, but it’s just like turning a sith,” he murmured to himself. True enough, that at least two of the sith he’d turned to the light had at least partially been turned by his roguish charms, but he preferred to think that had come after his logical arguments had won them over.

He clicked on the comm unit. [This is Vulpesen Torrevaso, Valde of Veradune. I’ll be your new point of contact. To start, as brash as my predecessor was, he’s a hundred percent right about one thing. You kill those hostages, and you die. We won’t hold back, and I may very well drop that building on your head. I want to avoid that. Let’s be civil and perhaps we can talk our way into a happy ending. Your demands are no small thing. You’re talking about abdicating a central head of government and turning an entire culture on its head in a second. I sympathize with your desire for equality, but your methods are rather extreme, even for one with my influence. Let’s start small. Is there anything you want that I can get you right now? Medical supplies? Food?”]

He clicked one more onto the comlink, changing the channel to talk to his friendly forces. [Jedi Forces moving on the fortress, I appreciate your eagerness of this is a delicate situation. Only enter if you are absolutely sure you can do so quietly. I don't know yet how trigger happy these guys are, so lets not test it just yet.]

Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor Vera Noble Vera Noble Lehvi Vass Lehvi Vass Kalen Tulan Kor Tulan Kor Silas Westgard Silas Westgard Cale Gunderson Cale Gunderson

Kalen

K
"There are currently some of the most experienced and well-trained killers coming to find you—"

It was at that point that Kalen muted his comlink, lacking the patience necessary to listen to Commander Kor’s rambling threats and grandstanding anymore. “I’m starting to think these Alliance soldiers don’t give a womp rat’s ass about the hostages,” he muttered, smirking bitterly to himself. Of course, that was what this was really all about. The complete and utter apathy of the people who were supposed to fight on their behalf.

“You wounded his pride.” The Jedi prisoner said, still meditating calmly in his cage. “He is speaking out of ego.”

Someone should tell him he isn’t the hero of an action holo.” Eyeing the other cages holding the rest of the hostages, Kalen contemplated killing one of them out of spite. But that would mean he was what they thought he was. Just a bloodthirsty criminal looking for a thrill. He turned on his comlink once more, just in time to hear a new voice on the other end: Vulpesen Torrevaso. Kalen had no idea why he was involving himself in the hostage situation, but at least he was polite.

Thanks for the offer, but the only thing we need right now is for our demands to be met.

General Kalen,” his comlink crackled, this time with the voice of one of his men. “There is a… uh, I can’t pronounce it… a man claiming to be a representative of the Al’Har Federation is requesting entry. He has a Jedi Master with him.”

Don’t let them in. Repeat, do NOT let them in.” He’d have to be an idiot to permit another magic-wielding killing machine inside the Fortress. “Ask the Jedi to state his business.

"I am Caltin Vanagor, Jedi Master formerly of the Republic, both Galactic and “New”. Formerly of the Silver Jedi Concord. Elder with the Jakku Enclave and representing the New Jedi Order. Queen Mother Ta’a Chume once scoffed at our help, please learn from that history."

Who?” Kalen asked, having no knowledge of a random Hapan queen from nearly a thousand years ago. “Master Vanagor, if you’re so concerned with Hapans accepting your help, why don’t you speak to the current Queen Kha'la Daaray Kha'la Daaray and ask her if she intends to oppose the Equal Rights Act?

"Who?" Kalen asked, having no knowledge of a random Hapan queen from nearly a thousand years ago. "Master Vanagor, if you're so concerned with Hapans accepting your help, why don't you speak to the current Queen Kha'la Daaray Kha'la Daaray and ask her if she intends to oppose the Equal Rights Act?"

Lehvi stifled a sigh, and attempted to try his hand at defusing the situation.

"Kalen, I'm going to be very frank with you- what happens to men, on the basis of their gender, is wrong. It's wrong that men are systemically discriminated against. That men are treated as second-class citizens, at best. What happens here is backwards, and it's wrong.

"I won't pretend to know what got you to this point, and I won't pretend to know what it is to be a Hapan man. I do know injustice- and I know that sometimes, you have that sometimes you can't ask your oppressor for freedom- you have to take it. And you don't have to apologize for that.

"The Equal Rights Act will pass- the Alliance cannot call itself the city on the hill, the bright center in the Galaxy, whilst simultaneously allowing the blatant discrimination of gender to stand. It's a matter of when, and how it looks- the politics, in other words. I'm sure that that's not comforting to a man of your convictions, but it's the truth.

"But you do have a say in how this bill looks when it passes. Do you know what I'm sure the Hapan women say to justify the treatment of men? Probably things like, 'We can only do it gradually', or , 'If we give them freedoms like us, they seek reprisal'. They will use any action you take today, to justify how they craft that bill tomorrow.

"Let us in, Kalen. Let's talking about ending this with no bloodshed, and that ensures that everything you fought and bled for- that generations of Hapan men fought for- comes to pass on your terms, not their terms."

TAG: Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor | Kalen

Last edited:

Foes: Kalen

Caltin Vanagor was not a statesman.

He was a warrior.

No games played.

No hyperbole uttered.

He said what he meant.

He meant what he said… especially right now.

These hostage takers may be military, judging by the “General” address Be that as it may they were in way over their head. This could mean trouble for the Hapan people, and the hostages, giving the brush off was an expected, though still brightly stupid, mistake but it will be addressed momentarily. He did not care to ask about any bills being passed or repealed, this was a Matriarchal society and had been for as long as history had been recording it. Their desire may be noble, but they were ruining their chances at success with this, especially with Master Cthylla among them.

He means what he says, and so do I. You have been backed unfairly into a corner. No doubt you feel you have no other choice. You do, however, have a chance, a chance to do the right thing and release the hostages.If it is I that you are worried about then I will walk away. However I will leave you with a warning if you want me to go… Turning to follow Lehvi, he stopped after two steps and looked back. That warning is simple… hope I do not come back.

His words were direct, and honest, but without an iota of emotion.

Kalen

K
It was amazing how tedious these negotiations had become. Kalen expected another round of boring, empty threats from people who desperately wanted to sound like badasses. Yet when Lehvi Vass next spoke, he heard none of that. The representative from the Al’Har Federation was calm and collected, speaking rationally and without rancor. He was not only sympathetic, but understanding in a way the others were not.

Finally, someone with common sense,” Kalen said. “The rest of you bloodthirsty bastards ought to be ashamed of yourselves. You talk as if you want me to kill these people for the sake of your own glory. Yet you call yourselves heroes?

While Caltin talked, he turned toward the Jedi prisoner. “The cage isn’t immune to your Force. Why haven’t you freed yourself?” he asked.

Slowly, the Jedi raised his head and opened his eyes. “I am still with you,” he said.

Kalen scoffed. “Even though I’ve thrown you in a force cage and have been threatening to kill you if my demands are not met?

“I never left. I may have joined your ranks at the request of the Order, but I have stayed because I am on your side.” The Jedi’s brow furrowed. “I didn’t have a wicked stepmother. I had three.”

He wasn’t lying. Kalen remembered the stories he had told, the sickening little details, the genuine pain he expressed and the terrible burden he carried. It was why he’d had such a hard time believing he was a spy. “Aren’t you a Jedi?” he persisted. “Don’t our methods offend your principles?

“Your methods can be changed, but what you stand for will always be the same.” The Jedi held his gaze. “If the Equal Rights Act doesn’t pass, or if the Queen Mother refuses to enforce the law, or if Hapes leaves the Alliance in protest, I will stay. Even if you kill me, I will die with my conscience intact.”

For a while Kalen just stared at him, the droning voices coming from his comlink fading into the background. Finally, he gestured to his men and said, “Unlock the cages.”

“Mr. Vass,
” he said into the comlink. “I have decided to release the hostages into your custody. They will be escorted out. But until Hapan men are free, we will continue to hold the Reef Fortress.

As the cage lowered, the Jedi rose to his feet and stepped out. He slowly crossed the room, holding out his hand. Kalen gave him the comlink.

“This is Jedi Master Oukranos Cthylla,” he said. “There is no need for rescue. I will remain here of my own free will until the passing of the Equal Rights Act.”

Last edited by a moderator:

GADividerPurple.png

"If we go in unprepared, it will be the hostages that pay for it."

Aris let out a sigh as he glanced to Vera. He understood the sentiment, though. He didn't want to linger here any longer himself. He wanted to go in, save those people right away. But he knew his limits. They needed to be careful, very careful. It wasn't just the hostages that could end up harmed or dead. He glanced over his shoulder to Seszil, who was still slumbering.

Preparing for the coming fight, most likely.

"We are ready, Master Westgard. When you give the word."

Silas Westgard Silas Westgard | Vera Noble Vera Noble

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom