Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question Should we close the Factory/Codex

This would be a mistake.....a big mistake. I guess we will become THAT OTHER stars wars site. Let's just erase the idea of allowing a character the choice of letting their character die too.......goodbye fun stories, hello everyone killing off those with lesser pvp skills

Sorry you almost fought well, but just dig in and reboot another idea for another character to die

I like the idea of an internalized wiki, but seems like it would be a huge undertaking.

Would there be any rules on subs being finished/editing in things later at whim (thinking of instances with pvp, someone editing a weapon/tech they are using mid-fight to try and gain the upper hand in a fight they are losing)? Or just, full wild west?

BB-4001A

B
Would there be any rules on subs being finished/editing in things later at whim (thinking of instances with pvp, someone editing a weapon/tech they are using mid-fight to try and gain the upper hand in a fight they are losing)? Or just, full wild west?
Wikis usually have extensive change/edit logs that are publicly visible, so that kind of editing would make itself known.

As Matsu Ike Matsu Ike said, as it stands now Factory and Codex are optional and all subs are immediately usable in RP threads without approval, so we've already adopted a culture where people can make anything short of a planet and hop right in.

I assume the report button would be how to deal with problems, but to my mind the only thing we'd have to sort out is how we'd want to approach planet subs -- which from a Codex perspective was always the part of the Codex that the CJs felt we couldn't kark up.

Maybe I'm just old, but the factory (back when it was introduced before even the idea of a codex was even a private thought) is what kept my interest here for many years. If it hadn't been around, I very likely would have found somewhere else to foster my interest.

It's a unique feature of Chaos, that has been copied by other sites (at least that is to my recollection). I don't think it's wise to do away with something so vibrant and still seeing active use and reference. I suppose if a wiki that's internal to the site ports over everything in the factor/Codex and new rules were established for its use and maintenance, I could be more supportive of that idea.

But there have been whispers of building a wiki for years, and I have seen nothing to show for it that would demonstrate it would be better than what we have now. Best case scenario, it is slightly better organized in a searchable way. Worst case, you've dumped a huge turd on a unique segment of your site that nobody uses any more. Most likely case, imo: it's basically identical to what we have, but you put a lot of unnecessary work into it.

Experiments help growth, though, so maybe build the wiki first before thinking about tearing down something successful?

Only problems I see being run into for an internalized wikipedia is one a group of mine ran into in the past. If it is a literal wikipedia page, one thing that occurred was a few people getting mad with the right privileges to outright wipe almost all entries, much easier than you think versus on here.

Aside from that being a security/personal concern, I am mixed on this. Yes, I love judging in the Factory but at the same time, there is an element where creativity can go absolutely nuts. I personally want the return of Mega Maid for the giggles yet we don't want the pages filled with absolute junk either from people attempting to "archive" or delete old submissions.

Pros in My Mind:
No more "Website Link Changes" to where all old factory items become much harder to find.
Centralized way to database nearly all entries at once without issue and through the search engine in a much longer fashion aside from ten pages.
An expansion on creating more unique entries, less monitoring and a much more expressive idea of creative freedom.
No more Factory Modifications, a user can modify at any given time without having to ask for permission.

Cons in My Mind:
Security is a massive issue but that is from personal experience. Also including that if the website goes down aside from Star Wars Chaos, can it be rebooted from the same people or will we have to wait from another group? Also ensuring it cannot be hijacked and dot it with malware (Rare but still happens)
The Wikipedia will at some point balloon to a massive point, requiring it to be indexed constantly, monitored and assuring things get placed in the right spots. I do not foresee a slowdown but it could happen if given to many pages or viewers. This will also include a lot of dead links which is something I honestly hate.
Having to learn an entire new set of [setdiv] and [borderbox:table] nonsense. I know I did not do it right, I just hate it and may not be the most user friendly in the world. Not including also a way to categorize under a users name which I am unsure how it works in a wikipedia format, possibly recent changes? The users will have to figure it out to use the website but those who are savvy enough, probably be the best.
Hissy Fit from a particular user to nuke their own submissions and leave. Galactic Alliance had this issue a long time back from the div maniac.

Those are my thoughts, buy a cup of coffee with it.

Sure I think that's a novel idea, though I'd like to see Factory Judges & Codex Judges be re-allocated to moderating the content of the wiki to ensure that there is a baseline standard of quality. Not so much an approval/rejection but perhaps more along the lines of 'this needs more explanation before getting published'

Matt the Radar Tech

ꜰɪxɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ʀᴀᴅᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ sᴛᴜꜰꜰ
Wouldn't an internal wiki be the same thing by a different name?

Presumably all the same/similar information from a submission entry would be on the wiki page.

Unless the plan is to standardize all items/objects/whatever else across the site?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom