Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question Should we close the Factory/Codex

BB-4001A

B
Unless the plan is to standardize all items/objects/whatever else across the site?
My assumption is that its more of a level playing field, that also further evolves where we are with community moderation vice staff moderation (e.g. reduction of RPJs, automatic use of factory/codex subs in RP threads upon initial posting, etc). So instead of posting it and its just automatically approved, you just toss it up on the wiki.

To the point about security raised by Listib Hibin Listib Hibin , an interesting wrinkle to this that I hadn't thought of when I wrote my reply to Aelin Erevos Aelin Erevos is that if its a true wiki, then the pages would be editable by anyone.

Obviously, different levels of permissions can be applied and we've seen Wikipedia or Wookieepedia lock down certain pages to combat abuse. Again, wikis generally have extensive change logs that make it easy to revert to an earlier version, but that certainly adds an interesting dimension to it if I submit something to the wiki and someone else can come along and edit my sub.

But without knowing which wiki software Tefka has in mind, its impossible to know what the range of possible is, as my experience with them is that they each approach the idea of editing permissions or user groups differently.

Security is a massive issue but that is from personal experience. Also including that if the website goes down aside from Star Wars Chaos, can it be rebooted from the same people or will we have to wait from another group? Also ensuring it cannot be hijacked and dot it with malware (Rare but still happens)
The Wikipedia will at some point balloon to a massive point, requiring it to be indexed constantly, monitored and assuring things get placed in the right spots. I do not foresee a slowdown but it could happen if given to many pages or viewers. This will also include a lot of dead links which is something I honestly hate.
Having to learn an entire new set of [setdiv] and [borderbox:table] nonsense. I know I did not do it right, I just hate it and may not be the most user friendly in the world. Not including also a way to categorize under a users name which I am unsure how it works in a wikipedia format, possibly recent changes? The users will have to figure it out to use the website but those who are savvy enough, probably be the best.
Hissy Fit from a particular user to nuke their own submissions and leave. Galactic Alliance had this issue a long time back from the div maniac.

It seems like you have a lot of experience with wiking but I can tell you based off a lot of what you're posting, you shouldn't have to worry about any of this lol.

This stuff falls in web admin territory and SQL security injects, which were common with Wikimedia projects, are also common elsewhere on the web and are always a concern for larger projects like Chaos. While no security posture is 100%, we're fine, and any kid who would rage quit by trying to wipe pages and leave 1. likely wouldn't have access to anything high profile, 2. could easily be undone with a rollback, and 3. is unlikely to happen. It will happen, but it would be rare, and once a few instances happen and they realize how futile it is, the likelihood of it happening again will drop significantly.

Happens with everything, pretty par for the course.

then the pages would be editable by anyone.

As explained above, yes damage can and would be done, but also easily undone. The player would be banned and the bar to continue would continually rise. Threats usually have surprise on their side, that's it. Once they blow their load, and we're made aware, it's a fight that Chaos will and always has won.

We've beaten every adversary over the past decade to ensure Chaos's survival, this would be no different. Security threats always exist, and are beaten down like the haggard children they are until absolute and total domination of the situation is achieved by SWRP Chaos Staff.

Also, like, to not sound tough, like, rollbacks take like 5 minutes.

Very well...also yes, Holocron from Combine, a tad bit of Wookieepedia attempting and an old Fandom page many years ago for a roleplay guild.

Yeah, I am paranoid but if it can be done, then lets do it. All I ask is a way to sort through a persons creations from a personal user easily.

BB-4001A

B
Rollbacks take like 5 minutes.
Less than that, so I agree its a non-issue but I'm more curious about what the implementation looks like.

Everything is editable and the community upholds a gentleman's agreement that only the submitter and Chaos staff are to edit things? And then if that gentlemen's agreement is broken, the staff take action?

Or something more akin to how the Factory/Codex use Permissions now. So if, for example, I'm collaborating on an Atrisia sub with Matsu Ike Matsu Ike then either of us could edit it regardless of which of us posted it?

I would say just implement rules. Rules for editing the wiki.

Punishment's a ban. You rage like a baby, you get banned like a baby, and you leave. The same exists everywhere else, but if you're a wikinaut and spend all your time playing sandbox soloplayer, you stand the chance for the most damage to be done in the short time.

But again, rollbacks exist. Bans exist. Moderators exist. Lockdowns exist. All these "threats" we're scared of, they're nothing, they're easily locked down and removed.

Chaos doesn't really have a history of being scared to try new things out for fear some kid is gonna baby rage.

BB-4001A

B
I see a lot of value in trying it.

There's some obvious challenges to it, such as the sheer volume of Factory and Codex subs that we have. To switch to a different catalog or means of organizing/searching for that information would be akin to a map wipe which makes the "best of both worlds" approach the most practical in my mind.

But regarding the power I see this idea having: If its implemented with some kind of Permissions system, then I think it'd be a great way in which people could take a more collaborative approach to what has otherwise been a very solo niche. Now, you could have two or more people submitting, editing, and maintaining pages for companies, factions, shared concepts (e.g. Darkwire's Denon, Atrisia Commonwealth's Atrisia, etc), as opposed to relying on just one person to have to update it.

And I say that because I can think of at least 5 Atrisia subs that Syn has been after me to update that I've been too lazy to actually do so. But if we had a system where I could just pass a permission over to someone and they could run with the passion or energy they have for something that I just don't, that'd be a fascinating way to continue some enduring submissions for factions after the original submitter has either moved on or just burned out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Living In Color
Codex Judge
So basically would it just be an overhaul of the current system, now following a wiki format that allows people to post whatever, with Judges serving a more passive role and only stepping in if there are glaring issues with a sub/article?

If so, yes please.

Gonna echo this. I noticed above people talk about feedback from the judges to work on it more, but there is a workshop section specifically to get feedback.

Just drop it there, make use of it.

It's already a thing where once you submit you can use it before actual judging. Not much changes save for the judging process not being there.

yeah the validation in this attention economy seems pretty wild to me, no FJ or CJ has ever made a good writer good or bad writer bad

hell they don't even make submissions better they just call you out for not putting an N/A next to Force Sensitivity in the template

Barin Drudroga

Flag Captain of the Freesail Admirality
As long as there is some sort of basic quality control on the proposed Wiki even if it's in the form of the current factory deterrence model of - Expectations being met lest you suffer the "consequences" - which is generally just having to spend 2 minutes turning your super death laser into a moderate death laser with a unique qualifier and if you abuse a submission then it'll be removed and you'll get cringe reacted on every post you make by a site bot named Nugget Wrangler.

Living In Color
Codex Judge
yeah the validation in this attention economy seems pretty wild to me, no FJ or CJ has ever made a good writer good or bad writer bad

hell they don't even make submissions better they just call you out for not putting an N/A next to Force Sensitivity in the template

istg if you did that in your sub

Could we just lift all the rules of the factory / codex and leave the submissions? So it’s just open? That way nobody could edit your stuff but you and the admins and we don’t have to redo stuff.

Or is there some reason the Wiki format is better?

And could we make planets if they aren’t added to the map? Or is it only for weapons etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom