Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Ridiculous Anime Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arthur Pendragon said:
I try not to blatantly rip off anime characters, especially not for this character. I understand the rules and I'm sorry if this character of mine irks anyone despite my not RPing lately. I did mention someone died in my house recently, so I'm going through rough times.
I'm very sorry for your loss :(

Arthur Pendragon said:
Yeah, no need for pity in this topic, seeing how it's about someone wanting a ban on anime ripoffs and I was simply stating I try my best not to do that.
It wasn't pity - it was genuine sympathy, but apologies if I offended you. That wasn't my intention.

Nima Tann

Master of Her Own Destiny
tumblr_nwwjtiL4w91uk8sumo1_540.jpg

I'll see myself out.

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
How do you decide what's a ripoff and what's not?

Off the top of my head, I can think of a couple of different Boba Fetts, a Palpatine with a nice rack and an attitude problem, at least one guy with a persecution complex borrowed from that Jesus kid, and if I had a nickle for every Sith that's just a Hot Topic junkie with powers, I could go buy lunch. And not McDonald's lunch either. I mean, maybe not Outback lunch, but Texas Roadhouse for sure.

All of us lift certain elements of our characters from different sources, and not all of them are Star Wars. Doesn't matter if we mean to or not, it's just the nature of the beast. Truly original ideas are few and far between. It gets doubly complicated when you consider the fact that there's so damn much anime out there that no matter what you do, someone is gonna look at your character and go "Hey, isn't that [insert name here] from [insert show name here]?"

If someone does pop in as whatever anime flavor of the day is, our objective should probably be to help them get set on the right path, not tell them to kark off. At least not at first.

Galven Solomon said:
To be technical, ripoffs are against the rules.

RwC1FDm.png

Copy = Plagiarism

12. Plagiarism is not allowed.
I said I don't even try to do that. I'd think of a more... suitable character if I wasn't so focused on other things.

Rusty said:
How do you decide what's a ripoff and what's not?

Off the top of my head, I can think of a couple of different Boba Fetts, a Palpatine with a nice rack and an attitude problem, at least one guy with a persecution complex borrowed from that Jesus kid, and if I had a nickle for every Sith that's just a Hot Topic junkie with powers, I could go buy lunch. And not McDonald's lunch either. I mean, maybe not Outback lunch, but Texas Roadhouse for sure.

All of us lift certain elements of our characters from different sources, and not all of them are Star Wars. Doesn't matter if we mean to or not, it's just the nature of the beast. Truly original ideas are few and far between. It gets doubly complicated when you consider the fact that there's so damn much anime out there that no matter what you do, someone is gonna look at your character and go "Hey, isn't that [insert name here] from [insert show name here]?"

If someone does pop in as whatever anime flavor of the day is, our objective should probably be to help them get set on the right path, not tell them to kark off. At least not at first.
As for this, THIS all the way.

Menoetius said:
as I would wager that at least 50% of the board agrees with me.
I'd wager 99% of this forum ultimately doesn't care, we just like being dramatic.

Edit: I'd further wager that only 10% of this board has even read this topic.

Edit Edit: I'd also wager that perhaps the people behind the DDoS attacks really love Anime avatars and you brought their wrath upon us.

Edit Edit Edit: To top off the wagers, I'd wager that if you offered your photoshop skills in the Art forum to people who have crappy anime avatars, you could help stem the tide of these personal affronts to your insecurities.

Galven Solomon said:
We can not argue when Plagiarism/cross overs should stop, since they are rules, we can not break them. If someone uses a characters name, bio, picture, skills, items, from another universe, that is breaking the rules. Something that we can not argue.[/spoiler]
We can, because the rules as written provide no examples, guidelines, or a set standard to be understood or followed outside of "no cross over" roleplay. That is, as written they are open to interpretation.

So the question I have posed in this thread and gotten no answer from the OP on is this: Who gets to interpret them? Where is the line? Who draws that line? How would that line be enforced?

I think we all agree [member="Kathryn Janeway"] is an example of what the rules prohibit. The name and likeness of Captain Kathryn Janeway, captain of the Federation starship Voyager, as portrayed by actress Kate Mulgrew, is part of the Star Trek trademark owned by CBS/Paramount (who is currently pursuing a lawsuit against the fan film Star Trek: Axanar on the grounds on copyright infringement. IRL trademarks are no joke.)

However, I don't think we're talking about Kathryn Janeway, or direct ports from an anime into Chaos (such as Sailor Moon, Son Goku, etc). We're talking about people making a character in our imaginary Star Wars universe here at Chaos and drawing heavily on anime or manga as a source of inspiration for their character. Such as, making a Felucian and turning it into more a kawaii neko cat-girl than a beastial anthropomorphism of a large cat.

That's not black and white. That's nuanced. The OP's proposal is that SOMEONE (obviously not him since he's never answer the basic question of HOW his ban would be enforced) should say whose interpretations of Star Wars are the correct interpretations, in order to keep it purely Star Wars -- even though the exact appearance of a Felucian is different in many of their appearances (owning to different comic book artists, their artistic interpretations, etc).

To that, I would again point to [member="Nerius"] who is using the likeness of Kid Buu from Dragonball Z. And I say likeness because it's more than just the avatar. He exhibits the appearance and many of the abilities of Kid Buu's amorphous body. He's not a direct port, but the parallels are clearly there.

How about a non-anime example? In DC Comics, Damian Wayne (as of the Robin, Son of Batman story arc) is an 11 year old ninja and former League of Shadows assassin, turned vigilante and member of the Bat-Family of heros. [member="Boo Chiyo"] is an 11 year old Teras Kasi practitioner and former Primeval agent, turned Jedi Guardian and member of the Silver Jedi Order. Damian's catchphrase is a sound effect, which is just -tt-. The -tt- appears in at least half of my Boo posts.

Are those enough borrowed elements that Nerius and myself should be banned? Is there a number? Would you propose there be a checklist and each writer gets a limited number of traits, story hooks, plot elements, or character devices that they can bring over from non-Star Wars related franchises?

It is note worthy that the most egregious offender in this is George Lucas. Star Wars is basically 7 Samurai in space with lightsabers. And because of that very fact, I have no idea what "pure Star Wars" would be because its creator has admitted to drawing on external sources of inspiration for his story.

So, for a rule to be enforceable it must first be understood. That being said, how would you explain where the lines are, who gets to interpret them, and HOW would they actually be enforced?

If you're asking for the staff to be the character profile police, that questions been asked and answered already. So it would have to be something different from that.

No need to ban anything, just don't RP with charachters who have anime playbys.

I find anime really irritating and as a general rule, I don't RP with characters who have anime avatars. I am frelled up like that.

Full Disclosure:

Fact #1 - I watch a lot of anime.
Fact #2 - I used anime avatars in high school.
Fact #3 - I used to write the characters that are being called into question, here. I was 15 - 19 years old.

And that's not all! Let's go on...

Fact #4 - I have trouble taking people who use anime avatars seriously. I am 31.
Fact #5 - I no longer use anime avatars, nor try to emulate anime characters.

Am I saying that the people who do this will grow out of it? No, no I'm not. This is simply my experience. I gotta wonder... since when did I start caring what kind of characters people wrote? Since when did I start caring what people did with their characters?

I admit, I've let myself give a rat's ass about what others choose to write, when it's nothing I have control over, and it's done things to me that I don't like. Why should I care what anyone writes? If it's what makes them happy, then why should I care?

It's none of my business, it's none of yours, and you know what? For everything the most elitist of us despise, I can wager that some of us were once that which we turn our noses up at. I know I was.

The thing is, we all start somewhere.To ban such characters, such avatars, would be to tell such writers that they are wrong for linking into this world in the way they know best and are most comfortable with, using that which they identify with, that which captured their imagination and drove them to write.

You want to snuff those sparks? Shame on you, Ham. Shame on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom