Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Ridiculous Anime Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menoetius

Anzat's How it's Done
You know what I'm talking about.
People who come to a STAR WARS™ roleplaying board with the desire to see what would happen if they took a hyper-sexualised teenage girl cartoon character and made her mingle with Sith Lords and Jedi Knights.​
People who blatantly disregard the look, feel, and nature of Star Wars to enact a fantasy that is completely immersion breaking for everyone else on the site.​
You're having a fantastic duel with your esteemed rival in an invasion thread when suddenly Akira Shokinawa jumps in, skimpily dressed and brandishing lightsaber nunchucks, speaks some japanese to you and then, for some unknown reason, turns the fight into BDSM foreplay.​
Okay, maybe that hasn't happened, but some characters around here are painfully close to that.​
Some anime I can tolerate -- when it's purely a (serious, not unnecessarily sexualised) character playby. Why everyone doesn't use appropriate, realistic, artwork I don't know, but I digress.​
When the character is obviously ripped straight from Naruto or Girls und Panzer and thrown into this SW melting pot, then I get irked. Not to mention it conflicts with two already established rules:​
14j3eqv.jpg
2rxy2yg.jpg
I would call blatant anime ripoffs a violation of both rules, as slapping a lightsaber on them and saying that they're able to use the force doesn't suddenly make them unique.​
On behalf of everyone irked and irritated by seeing outrageous anime characters, I am calling for a blanket ban on characters that purely exist to satisfy the writer's desire to import anime into SW.​
It has no place here.
LET THE BUMBLAST COMMENCE.
EDIT: I think people are getting caught up on my disdain for anime avatars more than the actual thing I'm discussing. I just want to clarify that I do like anime avatars if they are done well.
EDIT#2: I am not really concerned with anime avatars. That is not the point. The point is; blatant anime characters that have no place in Star Wars and break immersion need to be banned or edited so they fit in with the theme of the board.

I'm curious, as the avatar I'm using is in no way sexualized (Unless I'm sorely missing something), but does my use of an animated avatar fall into your scope of "irksome"?

I'm just genuinely curious. If I could have found a realistic image that fit what I had in mind for my character, believe me I'd take it in a heartbeat. But, what can yah do, right?

Just curious, and wanted my question asked before your little thread here got SUPER flooded.

[member="Menoetius"]

Menoetius

Anzat's How it's Done
[member="Elizabeth Verdan"]

Look at your avatar. If that's not hyper-sexual anime, I dunno what is.

Look at [member="Ryn'Dhal"] - What a superb example of a great anime avatar. Hardly even looks anime. And it captures his species perfectly.

EDIT: He's since changed it to a mask, so forget the species part haha. It was a superb representation of his species before, however.

Elizabeth, your avatar is literally a skimpy girl with cat ears and a tail.

Hold on, are you saying that my presence on these boards would be degrading to all people who roleplay here?

That I'm somehow lessering the integrity of the universe. That some people might feel like that their characters achievements and emotional connections are devalued by the idea that characters who have almost little to no relation to the star wars universe pollute the rich, co-operative saga being written by people who actually care about the star wars universe?

I'm a human, humans are in star wars. I see no reason why I couldn't have been teleported from the alpha quadrant to some unknown galaxy far far away and now it is my goal to get my crew home safely while I thwart cardassian sith threats to the Planet Earth.

Why if it's true, that'd be in violation of the prime directive and I should go find a star trek board.

Kathryn Janeway said:
Hold on, are you saying that my presence on these boards would be degrading to all people who roleplay here?

That I'm somehow lessering the integrity of the universe. That some people might feel like that their characters achievements and emotional connections are devalued by the idea that characters who have almost little to no relation to the star wars universe pollute the rich, co-operative saga being written by people who actually care about the star wars universe?

I'm a human, humans are in star wars. I see no reason why I couldn't have been teleported from the alpha quadrant to some unknown galaxy far far away and now it is my goal to get my crew home safely while I thwart cardassian sith threats to the Planet Earth.

Why if it's true, that'd be in violation of the prime directive and I should go find a star trek board.
I think I'm excessively entertained by the fact that you literally made this character, just now, in response to this thread. Seriously, I just can't stop giggling at the silliness of it. Please forgive.

Eh, I just don't normally roleplay with those who annoy me in such aspects... There doesn't need to be a unilateral ban, because Chaos is well.. Chaotic... The freedom to do what you want. And if what you want is to be that boneheaded and stubborn, then well... Have at it, cupcake. Just don't get upset if/when other people don't want to write with you, acknowledge you, or react poorly to your character concept.

And if the overly sexualized neko-type tries to ruin my duel, well... PM your opponent and both of you collectively agree to ignore the interloper if they don't go elsewhere or have some sort of respect for the story you and your opponent are writing.. This is, of course, after you contact the neko-type OOCly and request such, and presuming they refuse to do so. If they persist, despite you requesting and then ignoring them, follow invasion rules and ping your FA's or an RPJ if it is that bad. If outside an invasion? A simple report to staff if it is that bad.

I know this will sound odd, coming from me, but there's no need to get bent out of shape over it. Most people who jar and break immersion that bad seem to want to write the same kinds of stories, and so tend to congregate in groups. It happens in RP sites all the time, just like in life.. Birds of a feather and all that... It's pretty simple to avoid immersion breakers and the like in that regard.

Menoetius

Anzat's How it's Done
Kaela Jaryn said:
Shikashi, dono yō ni hoka no watapoodooachiha senpai Tefka tame no chō kyūto koto ga dekimasu! ? !
wat

Julius Sedaire said:
Eh, I just don't normally roleplay with those who annoy me in such aspects... There doesn't need to be a unilateral ban, because Chaos is well.. Chaotic... The freedom to do what you want. And if what you want is to be that boneheaded and stubborn, then well... Have at it, cupcake. Just don't get upset if/when other people don't want to write with you, acknowledge you, or react poorly to your character concept.

And if the overly sexualized neko-type tries to ruin my duel, well... PM your opponent and both of you collectively agree to ignore the interloper if they don't go elsewhere or have some sort of respect for the story you and your opponent are writing.. This is, of course, after you contact the neko-type OOCly and request such, and presuming they refuse to do so. If they persist, despite you requesting and then ignoring them, follow invasion rules and ping your FA's or an RPJ if it is that bad. If outside an invasion? A simple report to staff if it is that bad.

I know this will sound odd, coming from me, but there's no need to get bent out of shape over it. Most people who jar and break immersion that bad seem to want to write the same kinds of stories, and so tend to congregate in groups. It happens in RP sites all the time, just like in life.. Birds of a feather and all that... It's pretty simple to avoid immersion breakers and the like in that regard.
Well written, good points, live and let live mentality is great.

My only retort is; Blatant anime ripoffs have no place here. No matter what. This is Star Wars. They're already breaking rules, I just want staff to enforce those rules.

Menoetius said:
You know what I'm talking about.
People who come to a STAR WARS™ roleplaying board with the desire to see what would happen if they took a hyper-sexualised teenage girl cartoon character and made her mingle with Sith Lords and Jedi Knights.​
People who blatantly disregard the look, feel, and nature of Star Wars to enact a fantasy that is completely immersion breaking for everyone else on the site.​
You're having a fantastic duel with your esteemed rival in an invasion thread when suddenly Akira Shokinawa jumps in, skimpily dressed and brandishing lightsaber nunchucks, speaks some japanese to you and then, for some unknown reason, turns the fight into BDSM foreplay.​
Okay, maybe that hasn't happened, but some characters around here are painfully close to that.​
Some anime I can tolerate -- when it's purely a (serious, not unnecessarily sexualised) character playby. Why everyone doesn't use appropriate, realistic, artwork I don't know, but I digress.​
When the character is obviously ripped straight from Naruto or Girls und Panzer and thrown into this SW melting pot, then I get irked. Not to mention it conflicts with two already established rules:​
14j3eqv.jpg
2rxy2yg.jpg
I would call blatant anime ripoffs a violation of both rules, as slapping a lightsaber on them and saying that they're able to use the force doesn't suddenly make them unique.​
On behalf of everyone irked and irritated by seeing outrageous anime characters, I am calling for a blanket ban on characters that purely exist to satisfy the writer's desire to import anime into SW.​
It has no place here.
LET THE BUMBLAST COMMENCE.
You are my hero.

First person I have seen to say this and honestly. I am in full agreement. You sir, are my hero and give you kudos for confronting something I have been scared of doing. But also, the staff don't seem to enforce many rules. An example was the good old having to list your Force Powers, but since it was so fluid and unenforced it was never really a rule anyone would abide by.
[member="Menoetius"]

I'm a firm believer in freedom of choice. If an anime character is a good playby of your character, you should be allowed to use it. I dont care, and the fact that people think it should be outlawed is ridiculous. Im not a big anime fan either, but I also excersize this little thing called tolerance that, apparently, more than a few people around here have to use google to look up the definition of.

C'mon people, get over it. We should all be adults here.

EDIT: Though, you're right about the awkward sexualized ones...or the anthromorphs...If that's all this suggestion is aimed at, I wouldnt have a problem

Alndys

Mercenary, Artist.
Just so long as the number of anime characters doesn't exceed the number of Darth Edgy characters with no actual weaknesses listed on their bio, I think we'll be doing just fine. Some people browse Crunch Roll, some people browse Hot Topic, and that's just fine by me.

Janeway is stunned by the disrespect she is being subjected to on her federation starship. Tuvok interjects and addresses the committee of alien life forms.

"It is quite Illogical to call the act of taking 30 seconds to google image this very prestigious star fleet captain who is everywhere in the news of federation space and then to put it onto a blank character page to make a point 'a waste of time'. I believe captain Janeway is simply offering another perspective on the concept of these types of characters with a less emotionally charged catalyst such as weeaboos." The Vulcan's emotionless reasoning was sound again. He thought these life forms must be deficient examples of their race if they truly believe this sort of constructive and creative contribution to the debate at hand is a waste of time compared to spending hours and hours roleplaying on a star wars forum where majority of people aren't interested and some likely to be sickened by anime.

Alna Merrill said:
Just so long as the number of anime characters doesn't exceed the number of Darth Edgy characters with no actual weaknesses listed on their bio, I think we'll be doing just fine. Some people browse Crunch Roll, some people browse Hot Topic, and that's just fine by me.
Sith are unfortunately naturally edgy to write for and it is hard to break the mold without breaking the lore of the dark side's effect upon the mind and body. However it should be noted the amount of Chaotic Good Grey Jedi with no morals, big-tittied pink women that exude pheromones and act "nyaaa~" all the time, and the catgirls running around DO outnumber the sith ATM.

Not a huge fan of third party monitoring. If you aren't impacted by it, what's the problem? If you don't like people using anime avatars, don't write with them. I personally don't myself, but that's simply because I can't realistically picture said avatar in a world filled by otherwise realistic playbys. It's like trying to write in Who Framed Roger Rabbit or Last Action Hero (could actually be a funny concept for writing). But I digress...

Site rules are there to protect from abuse, not help encourage it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom