Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Her & the Sea

jmTV8XL.jpg

HER & THE SEA

Nezamiyeh, Chaldea

At eighteen, Ishani had run away from home. She had been compelled to return twice already in the years since, for one reason or another. By the third time, coming home had lost its sense of danger, any lingering concern that she’d be recognized having long since dissipated.

Of course, it helped that this time she was quite certain she wouldn’t be recognized. This year was the next migration of the dragons, a once-every-seven-years event that drew tourists from across the galaxy. With so many people flocking to the planet’s only spaceport and staying in the capital, she was just one more face in the crowd.

As she strolled through the city streets, she mainly took in the scenery. The most shocking thing about it was that very little seemed to have changed. All the same shops and restaurants were there, and it was all still overgrown with plant life, the result of a Force Nexus. It made plants grow rapidly and people very tall.

Everywhere she went, she walked in the shadows of giants. Ishani’s family had lived outside the city limits, and thus she remained woefully unaffected by the nexus. Her diminutive height drew a few amused glances from the natives, but little more attention than that.

Before she knew it, Ishani found herself headed in the direction of the beach. Really? Now? Well, she supposed she had enough time for a quick swim…

Her feet began to move faster, picking up speed. The boards shifted into soft sands under her feet, kicking up grains of dust behind her heels. She raced to a cave, and there in the darkness she shed her clothes, stowing them away. The Skin fitted over her bare flesh like it was meant to be, and with a leap and a kick of her silvery tail, she disappeared into the sea.

Sometimes one just needs a break, there was nothing wrong with that. It was something she'd always believed. Of course, that's likely because that's what she thought when she was much younger. So, here she was. She'd heard about the dragons years ago, but had only barely missed the migration at the time. So she had to wait years for the next one. Which could have been worse, she supposed she had the time. Didn't mean it didn't somewhat bother her.

So here she was, she'd landed her Fyrnock where she could and walked among these giants of beings in the vegetation covered streets, White-5 not far behind her, the droid acting essentially as her guard. She wasn't really expecting any danger to her ship, she had 20 Aristaeus Drones and her many swarm-drones waiting on guard. Of course, she herself wasn't entirely without protection. White carried an IR in his hands, a Bar-58 on one side and the Sunfury on the other. She had a Bar-58 on her side as well. She wasn't really expecting much fighting. She did carry a different item though, her repulsorboard with her boots being worn. She also had her gauntlet on her arm and wore her necklace, an item that essentially never left her.

Even though she was definitely eager to see the dragons, there was another reason she was here. The atargatis skinned society, if that was the right name for it, beneath the ocean. Sure it was illegal, but it wasn't like that had stopped her before. The issue was, how do you get one? With many forms of contraband there were places and people you could find, trusted to get you what you need. But she hadn't interacted with these "finfolk" before. It was going to be an interesting situation for sure.

She did have an idea though. But first, she'd explore. Ignoring the occasional somewhat less kind looks at her height. She was of average height but she supposed that was childlike compared to them. White got a few more looks than her, his plastoid exterior and titanium structure clearly designed to resemble a human, yet with so much detail on the face that appeared to have a completely neutral but attentive expression. He may not stand up to their size, but she had no doubt his physical abilities were plenty enough should someone be an issue.

The 80 year old woman touched the stone around her neck in thought as she continued, watching. She wasn't ready to try and test the waters just yet. No she'd watch this great migration, see what such an event could really look like. Creatures so powerful care so little about those below them, and just fly past them. She had seen a great many things in her life, and amazement was still a feeling she was happy to keep.

Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn

The world was an alien place underwater, and yet in some ways not so different. Sound was muffled, sunlight dappled by the waves. Still in the shallows, Ishani sank to the bottom, coming to rest among tufts of seaweed that swayed with the current like wheat in the wind.

Ahead of her, farther out to sea, she spotted three figures swimming. At a distance they could be mistaken for big fish, but they had the upper bodies of humanoids. They were Finfolk.

Some part of Ishani longed to join them. Their lives, so far removed from the reality she knew, seemed much easier and more peaceful. But it was an impossible dream, especially now. She had responsibilities to her children, to her work, to others…

The trio moved toward her, their fins undulating as they swam. One, a merman with a green tail, drifted quite close to where Ishani lay, curious about her presence. Her Skin had been stolen, but she had gone through great pains to alter it with alchemy so it would be unrecognizable. She remained a stranger to them.

|Hello,| she greeted him, using Galactic Sign Language to communicate.

He returned the greeting. Floating above her, the sun hit his hair in such a way that gave it a reddish hue. |What’s your name?|

She spelled out I-S-H-A-N-I for him with her fingers. He echoed the gestures, but only I-S-H. She swallowed the lump in her throat. Ish. That was what Arc used to call her...

The merman signed too quickly for her to catch the meaning, then pointed upwards. She followed his finger, and noticed that the sky seemed to have darkened. Was the sun setting already? She couldn’t have been down here for that long.

Swimming up, her head broke through the surface of the water, and she soon saw why it seemed so dim. The dragons had arrived to blot out the sun.

bIFUpnK.png

As they flew across the sky, she saw tongues of orange flame dart out of their mouths. She felt the heat of their breath drying her wet face, even though they were high above her.

"Should we get out of the water?" she wondered aloud.

The merman emerged somewhere near her and shook his head, laughing. "We're safer here than the land-dwellers are. Dragons don't like fish."

Ishani kept her head canted back, staring up at the sky. Had it really been seven years since she'd last seen this? She'd been fifteen years old, sitting on the porch with her grandma, watching the migration as it passed by the old farmhouse. "We're lucky they didn't burn down the fields this time," her grandma had said, rocking gently on the porch swing.

"I actually have to go back," Ishani said, feeling a sudden powerful urge to return to her family. She waved a webbed hand toward dry land. "Uh, it was nice meeting you, um..."

"Leon," the merman said. "I'm heading to shore too."

"Okay." She let her hand drop back into the water. "Let's go together, then."

The two headed off in the direction of the seashore.

Mariah felt chills run through her spine as she saw the creatures come across like a storm. And they sounded like one as well. Their many wings against the air, and the smoke from their mouths rising above them and furthering the sense of a storm. She felt that sense of minuscule size at the horde of creatures that she'd felt the first time she'd left a planet and looked back down at it, the first feeling she felt in empty space. The feeling when looking at oceans as far in every direction as the eye could see. It was magnificent, and also somewhat terrifying.

While she stared into the sky as it grew darker and darker as the storm of dragons blocked out the sun, White's attention was elsewhere. Actually, nearly anywhere else. He was a good idea, but was not so advanced that he had complete independent objectives. And so his only interest in the dragons was their potential threat. Since everyone was paying attention to them, he kept his gaze around them instead, and that was when as he scanned the people and the horizon he caught a glimpse of creatures. He saw the arms and heads of humanoids, but the fins of fish. Given the lighting and distance it was a little hard to catch the details with certainty, but he knew that was the general description of the item that Mariah had been searching for.

He nudged her shoulder and spoke quietly, "Mariah." She shook her head still staring at the sky, "Not right now." she muttered. He nudged harder, "The atargatis, I have seen it." her attention was quickly split as she wanted to see the migration but didn't know the next chance she'd get for the skin either, she let out an audible groan, not sure yet what to do looking back and forth. "Ok, go find them. Be available for comms if I need you. See if you can convince one to sell or meet with me after an hour or so. Though don't give them my name. And please try to be discreet."

"Understood." he responded simply before swiftly moving away. 'Discreet' was a little bit of an expectation for him. He didn't exactly blend in, and as he began attempting to navigate to where he believed he should be able to see the 'finfolk' head to it was unlikely his hastened movements would go entirely unnoticed. Though he would make surprisingly little noise, and would use all his sensors to attempt to locate the beings he saw moments before and get to them. He would attach the rifle to his back as he went.

Should they come ashore, he would attempt to get close and try and wave them down if he could. If he saw them head to a cave or building he'd attempt to follow them. If he saw them outright try and run or swim away, he very well might attempt chase. On ground, that chase was in his favor. His body designed for considerable physical abilities. However, while he could stand and probably move well in the water, it was unlikely he could keep up with the more water efficient designs of the atargatis skins.

Meanwhile, Mariah would simply watch in awe as the dragons flew across the sky. Her mouth open slightly as she imagined what it might be like to fly by ones own wings, which of course reminded her of swimming less aided as well. Her board she had with her a sign of her desire for such extremes of mobility. If it weren't for her fear of the creatures above them, she would have not hesitated to get on it and fly beside them. She was nearly tempted to do so anyway, but her common sense reminded her not to.

Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn

Ishani made her way back to the cave where she had hidden her clothes. Unable to stand upright on dry land while wearing her Skin, she crawled and rolled onto the sand. It had been a lot faster and easier to leap from the mouth of the cave into the sea than it was to make her way back.

Finally, with her waterproof bag of belongings retrieved, she scooted into an alcove behind some rocks to change in privacy.

To her surprise, Leon followed her into the cave soon after. As soon as he flopped onto the sand, he reached up to find the seam at his hairline and peeled his Skin away from his face, then shed it from the rest of his body. A bit taken aback, Ishani avoided looking his way.

“Hey, Ishani—you’re from around here, right?” Leon asked.

Uh, yeah,” she replied, her voice a little muffled in her alcove. “I grew up here. I’m just visiting…But I’m thinking about staying. It’s all up in the air right now.

“Well, me and my friends are going to a party. Would you like to come with us?”

Surprised by the offer, Ishani turned to look at him, only to quickly look away again, her face reddening. She supposed the Finfolk were used to nudity when slipping in and out of their Skins.

On the other hand, part of her couldn’t help wondering if Leon had taken an interest in her. If that were the case, then she would have to break the news to him that she didn’t share that interest. The wound left by her lover’s disappearance was still too raw. Still, she didn’t want to make any assumptions… and going to a Finfolk party did sound like fun...

"I... um... okay," she finally answered. "I can't be out too late, though. I have to be home before midnight."

"That's fine. We won't keep you."

Having changed into her simmersilk gown, she carefully folded her Skin and put it away, then followed Leon as he left the cave—only to come face to face with a droid.

The droid did not need to do much to avoid intruding, it had had to navigate the location by land rather than their more convenient route of straight from the water. It only caught a very small amount of discussion as it approached, and they exited. Not that it would have changed its responses. Immediately it continued it's objective given to it by Mariah. "Greetings! I am White-5, my master would like to meet with one or both of you in regards to the Atargatis skin I perceived you wearing while scanning the horizon during the Dragon's Migration. She is particularly interested in purchasing one such item for herself, taking an interest in the uniqueness of its survival capabilities in the oceans. She is busy right now however watching the dragons, but would love to meet in a few hours should either of you be willing. Should it be necessary, I could locate you in a crowd so as to facilitate communication if that is a preffered meeting location. But, I can contact her now if necessity demands." In spite of the objective 'be discreet' he was still often used for guard duty, and so 'instinct' if it could be called that, returned regardless, though his voice didn't change in the slightest. Likely more a sign of his less powerful independence than anything else, "Please, do not engage in violence. I have been equipped and designed for such circumstances, and can send out an alert quickly if the situation demands."

Mariah remained, staring at the sky in awe, though, it was a bit of a pain in the neck looking almost exclusively straight up like that. She pulled out the board using her wristpiece to control it, and laid on it, curling her legs up so they were still on top, and raising it a bit higher. It really was incredible what could exist in the galaxy. No matter how many planets she'd been to, how many species she'd seen, or people she'd met, there was always something out there. She could only imagine what this creature must be like up close. Her adventurous side wanted to see, but her awareness of her own mortality didn't. Though if she had to choose one, she'd choose this over the krayt. She didn't actually know which was more dangerous, but if either was more incredible to see up close, it had to be this one.

Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn

Ishani jumped a little at the sight of White-5 abruptly appearing in front of her. Her heartbeat slowed as she listened to the droid’s enthusiastic proposition. Ishani frowned. There was no mention of its master’s name, or what exactly she intended to do with the Atargatis Skin once she got it.

Who—” Ishani began to speak, only to be interrupted by Leon.

“We don’t give Skins out to just anyone who asks,” the merman replied coldly. “They’re a scarcity, only so many are left in circulation. Your master isn’t one of our kind. Why should we give her something so rare and necessary for our survival?”

Ishani blinked. Leon talked as if he and the rest of the Finfolk would die without their Skins. In a way, she supposed they would, given that the Skins were the basis of their subculture's way of life, but it seemed like hyperbole.

White-5 warned them not to engage in violence, no doubt in reaction to Leon’s anger. Ishani swiftly stepped in.

Maybe she wants to become one of… us,” she said. While she didn’t consider herself Finfolk, Leon probably thought she was. She had a Skin of her own, after all. Turning to White, she asked, “Is your master interested in joining the Finfolk?

The droid tilted its head at Leon's response, "Is it not impossible to be one of your kind if one does not have an atargatis skin then? Would that not imply that you could never have been one, since this skin is not naturally grown." He did not stop, as he had another to answer, "Regardless, payment can be made. Or resources."

When it noticed the anger its hand was swiftly on the blaster, though it did not draw and returned to a 'relaxed' position as Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn spoke, White took a moment in consideration. "I am sorry, but her reasons for why she wants this she has not relayed to me. Unfortunately I could not speak in her place on that matter. I do however believe it is unlikely that she would not want to pursue the culture or society of the Finfolk, as she has mentioned to me interest in exploring these oceans and the people within it."

It was wary of Leon now, its eyes passing between the two. It didn't show fear however, or anger. It just stood there for another moment before repeating essentially what it had said already, "I am aware value of the atargatis skin may change between groups or individuals. However that could be discussed in more detail with my master should you choose to meet."

Mariah trusted the droid to take care of itself. She hoped his AI was sufficient to convince someone to meet with her, from there it was probably a matter of cost she imagined. She was afterall practically opening up an entire world of existence to her. Using most suits and subs was certainly enjoyable, but they didn't provide the same feeling that she imagined they must have. They didn't let you truly enjoy it like you should be able to. In truth, she had the same feeling about space, and air. If she could safely grow wings, she almost certainly would. Her board was a fairly good replacement though. She had no such replacement for the sea.

Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn

“I have a Skin because I wanted to join the Finfolk,” Leon retorted. “Not because I was some rich guy that wanted it for recreational use.” They didn’t know how wealthy White’s master was, but if she could afford to use an advanced droid as a go-between, it seemed a fair guess.

Look, let’s not be hasty here,” Ishani said, holding up her hands in a peacekeeping gesture. “We don’t know what this person wants with the Skin, and we aren’t going to figure it out unless we talk to her.

Truth be told, Ishani sympathized with White’s master. She had stolen her Skin because she wanted to study it, figure out how it worked. Instead, she had become addicted to wearing it, like the rest of the Finfolk. White’s master probably didn’t know about that aspect of the Skins. Well, they would just have to explain to her what she was getting herself into.

You invited me to your party, even though I’m a stranger to you,” Ishani continued, looking at Leon. “How about bringing one more guest?

“Sure, whatever” Leon said with a sigh. He seemed to have calmed down. “But I’m not a businessman. I don’t have a mind for that stuff. She’d have to talk to somebody else about buying one. Like my friend Emilia. She sells stuff.”

Will she be there?

“Yeah.” Leon glanced at White. “Is your master available tonight? Can she come to a house party to meet with someone about… buying a Skin?”

Ishani also turned toward White. “By the way, what’s your master’s name?

Again White tilted his head for a moment at Leons response. However as Ishani was continuing he did not interject. The two of them discussed to each other about it as well, apparently about a party. He assumed she'd be a little concerned, and would probably have him not be far if he wasn't allowed in. She now had the possibility of getting a skin at least, and the party's timing certainly fit with what she wanted.

However, there was an issue. They asked her name, which she did specifically tell him not to give. He paused considering his options, though not for long before answering. "I believe she can meet with those conditions." he agreed before looking to Ishani, "I apologize, I would have to ask her. She specifically told me not to say her name at present, likely due to concerns of danger. After-all she does not know either of you, and it was me that spotted you. I can however take a moment to request that her name be given."

With that he took a few steps back and brought Mariah on his commlink, keeping it quiet on her end, "I have met two. They have said a party at a house tonight to discuss. But they want to know your name."

Mariah hesitated on the other end, though she was perfectly happy to stare at the sky a little longer, she got off the board and paced for a few seconds. "Ok, fine. But if you can, just give my first name. And if they're willing see if they'll give names of their own." she said rubbing her fingers together roughly.

The droid moved forwards again,
"She has approved that I can tell you her name is Mariah, though she would appreciate it if she could know your names as well. Naturally, we would also need to be given the location and time of this party."

Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn

I’m Ishani, he’s Leon.

Leon gave the address of the house and time when the party would be held. Ishani checked her chrono—they were already running late. “We better get going,” she said. “Uh, we’ll meet your master there.

It was admittedly a little odd that this “Mariah” was so unwilling to give her full name. If she was that concerned, wouldn’t it be better to just give a fake name? It would certainly draw less suspicion. Maybe she was the type of rich person who liked to cultivate an air of mystery around their persona.

Whatever the case, Ishani didn’t want to involve herself too heavily in this matter. She wasn’t one of the Finfolk, and she wasn’t about to sell her Skin to anyone. On the other hand, part of her didn’t trust Leon or any of his friends. I guess I can keep an eye on them from a distance, she thought to herself as she hurried up the slope and away from the beach. Leon wasn’t far behind her.

As they walked, they were joined by two women who seemed to know him. Ishani guessed that they were the other two Finfolk she had seen in the ocean. Now a foursome, the group walked together to the house. The two women introduced themselves, although Ishani had trouble remembering their names, and chattered amongst themselves like old friends. They occasionally asked Ishani simple questions, trying to make conversation, but she wasn’t totally receptive to them. In fact, Ishani wasn’t even really sure why she had agreed to go to a party at a stranger’s house in the first place...

tLj7e52.png

The house was the size of a mansion, and constructed almost entirely out of glass. Due to the dragon migration having blocked out much of the sunlight, the place had a gray stormy look to it. As the group stepped up and knocked on the front door, they were promptly let in by a server droid. Inside, festive music played from hidden speakers amid the typical party sounds of people talking, laughing, and playing games.

Ishani hardly took more than a few steps before someone exclaimed, “Ishani!” Freezing in place, Ishani turned toward the sound of the voice, trying not to visibly cringe. Looks like she had been recognized by somebody she used to know.

White nodded and departed. On his way back he would contact Mariah and give her the details and the names and what they looked like. She took in one last breath and another view of the sky before speeding off on the board. She wasn't dressed for a party, that was easily fixed. Plus, it'd remove any suspicion of her necklace. She'd leave most of her weapons behind, if necessary, she could always take one from White. Changing into a blue dress and flying off again to meet White, who she'd give her gauntlet to and remove the repulsorboards boots covering the nicer set beneath. She'd leave the board with him as well.

She checked her hair and gave one more look at the building. It was an impressive thing, yet, in the shadow of the creatures far above, meant so little. Before she went in White spoke up, "Should I join you." she shook her head, "You said they weren't exactly inviting. Just stay close in case I end up needing you." she tapped the connection she still had to the board which she'd tucked in her boot, though it normally was worn. It was much smaller than the gauntlet but she didn't feel like having it out at the moment. Could be too much to explain at the moment.

He nodded and stepped away, finding somewhere to remain out of the way but keeping a photoreceptor on his surroundings and an audiosensor out for any dangers. Meanwhile Mariah took in a breath, and walked in, folding her hands together in front of her. Music, laughter, noise, she always found some level of fun in these things, perfectly happy to smile as she walked. She might not be here for the joy of it, but there was surely nothing wrong with that anyway.

She spotted Ishani first, though someone seemed to be heading to speak with her already. Leon was the other one listed, the issue was from what she heard Ishani was a little more friendly about things. Still, these were the names given. She decided to approach Leon first, making her way through the crowd before speaking. She wasn't exactly very old in appearance, or even in how she carried herself most of the time, at oldest early twenties, decades below her genuine age. "Hello, I'm Mariah. You're Leon right? I apologize about the droid. That really wasn't how I wanted to try and get things going, but I saw a chance and thought it best to take it." she explained giving an apologetic grimace and shrug before returning to a smile, "I understand you know someone I should talk to right?"

Mariah glanced to Ishani occasionally, as well as at the others in the room. Moving slightly to the music instinctively. She didn't necessarily give off the air of a posh rich-man. Perhaps a little childish, though not poor certainly.

Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn

The person who called Ishani’s name turned out to be a former schoolmate of hers, a Mirialan girl with dark brown hair intricately braided. Ishani recognized her by the clan tattoos on her face, but couldn’t remember the girl’s name. She decided to play up this lack of recognition, saying nothing as the girl approached her.

“Oh wow, fancy finding you here! How have you been? I mean, I heard some pretty crazy rumors—”

I’m sorry,” Ishani interrupted. “I think you’re confusing me with somebody else.

“Aren’t you Ishani Threepwood? It’s me, Krystal Jenkins! We went to high school together! You really don’t remember me?”

No, I don’t,” Ishani replied, her tone ruder than she’d intended. She was used to people believing her lies, or at the very least not caring enough about her to question things. But there was no lying her way out of this—Krystal had recognized her on sight. Crossing her fingers behind her back, Ishani resorted to using the Force. “You thought you saw me, but it was somebody else.

“I… I thought it was you,” Krystal echoed, falling under her spell. “I’m sorry, I-I mistook you for somebody else.”

Satisfied, Ishani disappeared into the crowd, leaving Krystal alone. Where were Leon and his friends? What about this Mariah woman? Was she here yet?

"Hello, I'm Mariah. You're Leon right? I apologize about the droid. That really wasn't how I wanted to try and get things going, but I saw a chance and thought it best to take it. I understand you know someone I should talk to right?"

Leon was certainly taken aback by Mariah’s appearance. She looked like she was younger than him. Of course, that didn’t make any difference in how he felt about this whole sketchy business. “Yeah,” he muttered. “You want to talk to Emilia.”

He headed further into the house, assuming that Mariah would follow him. Along the way he swiped a glass full of something green from the bar and took a sip. He winced a little at the herbal, almost medicinal taste. Absinthe.

The glass was nearly knocked out of his hands as Ishani suddenly bumped into him, having just escaped the overcrowded dancefloor. “Sorry,” she blurted. “I, uh, ran into somebody I’d rather avoid.

Leon nodded in understanding. “We’re heading out back. Emilia should be over by the pool.”

There’s a pool?” Ishani murmured, following him. She noticed the girl in the blue dress trailing along and put two and two together. “Are you Mariah? Nice to meet you. Your dress is really pretty...

The backyard pool was filled to the brim with swishing tails, fins, and gleaming scales in a variety of colors. Ishani did a double take. She had never seen so many Finfolk all in one spot. It looked rather cramped and uncomfortable, but the people seemed to be enjoying themselves, swimming or playing games. As Leon led them around the pool, they passed by a young couple sitting on the edge that had just begun to kiss—only to swiftly be pelted by thrown beach balls and shouts of “Get a room, Skinheads!

Still carrying his drink, Leon walked toward a small posse of women reclining in chairs at the far end of the pool, their eyes watching the dragons still passing by overhead. They wore only bathrobes, their Skins lying neatly folded on a table nearby next to food and drinks.

“Hello Emilia,” Leon said, catching the attention of one of the robe-clad women.

Emilia sat up, her eyes drifting over the trio of Leon, Ishani, and Mariah. While she wore her age well, she was obviously a lot older than most of the other partygoers, probably somewhere in her forties. She had rosy pink skin and dark hair tinged violet—definitely some Zeltron heritage, though probably mixed.

Leon gestured to Mariah. “There’s someone here to see you about business.”

Emilia’s gaze settled on Mariah, awaiting a proper introduction. Ishani was too nervous to speak. At least she wasn’t the center of attention.

If only Mariah could have caught all of the conversation between Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn and her former schoolmate, she might have recognized the force trick. She never had the force herself, but she did know a lot about it. She knew it was the only reason her necklace worked, at least that was her best guess. It seemed the cause of a lot of things really. However, her attention was mostly on Leon at present. She smiled as he confirmed his identity and that she had to speak to an 'Emilia' "Thanks very much, pleasure to meet you." she said as they began to move. She had to grin slightly at his distaste for the drink, she didn't take one herself, just in case. And then hesitated to react when Ishani nearly knocked it out of his hands, thankfully he caught it, she realized it would have not gone well if she tried to make a dive for it.

So they were headed to the pool, she chuckled at Ishani's reaction. She would have thought the ocean was plenty enough, but perhaps they wanted just a more private location. Not that this was exactly private right now. She nodded her head smiling back at her,
"And good to meet you too, Ishani yes? And you're quite well dressed yourself." she spoke her next sentence quieter, "Not something I would have left in a cave myself if I'm honest." it was clearly somewhat jovial but she was definitely serious about that.

As they came outside she looked around, that was far more people fitting into a pool than she would have expected. Course, she supposed drowning wasn't as much of a concern. But they very much reminded her of somewhere between a fish exhibit and a packed Nar Shaddaa cantina. She had to smile at the two 'skinheads.' with memories in mind.

Finally they reached to Emilia and Mariah straightened up somewhat, 'business' indeed it was. Not the most legal perhaps but something was always illegal one place or another. She had to take note of the Zeltron heritige. They could be tricky people, not that it bothered her. Falleen were too, but they were far more worrisome of the two. The Zeltrons were known to be influenced by the emotions of others, the Falleen were known to be far more controlling of their own emotions, at least externally as she understood.

"Hello Emilia," She said with a smile, "I'm Mariah, heard about this world awhile ago. Unfortunately, I missed the last migration. But that wasn't really the reason I'm here specifically." she waved her hand aside trying not to get distracted, "I came to see about these atargatis skins. The waters are nearly the only place I can't explore in its fullness, well, I guess maybe a force sensitive might have advantages regardless with the right experience. But anyway, I was hoping there would be some way that I'd be able to purchase or trade for one. I am aware that they aren't a common item, but it could be awhile before I get another reasonable chance."

Mariah paused, considering giving more information, "I'm mostly a cybernetics and tech expert, though I've done a lot. But I have my doubts that I could make something like it. Making a droid that can swim is all well and good, but that's not at all the same thing. Just wouldn't be worth it I think. 'Cept maybe as protection I suppose."

She wandered what it was about Emilia that had her so quickly listed as the one to go to by Leon. She was older than the others by her appearance, but age alone wasn't a necessary indicator of why she'd be the one who dispensed with the skins. Maybe she had a sort of political position among the finfolk. Or maybe she was the in between that dealt with the original dealers of the skin on the black market. Oh well, she'd have to see. She hoped there wouldn't be anything too wrong here. She wasn't sure White could hear her from this distance, which would means he'd rely on moving the board to get his attention. Which could be iffy depending on the circumstances.

Emilia stayed silent as Mariah delivered her spiel. Her expression didn’t really change, appearing attentive. But her mind was working rapidly, absorbing information rapidly.

She not only listened to Mariah’s words, but took in her appearance and mannerisms as well. The expensive dress and matching boots. The gauntlet. The necklace. The necklace she took special note of, for she sensed it was no ordinary piece of jewelry. Chaldea was a planet full of people sensitive to the Force, though most had no training in any sort of discipline. Emilia was one such person, and she could detect something off about the necklace, though what it was remained hidden to her.

“I take it you’re not interested in joining the Finfolk?” Emilia asked, though her tone suggested it was more a statement of fact than a question. She glanced briefly at Leon, who shook his head slightly. “You want a Skin for purely recreational purposes.”

A curiosity she might be, but Mariah was still just an outsider with money. “We Chaldeans are known for our hospitality,” Emilia said. “But asking for something like this is pushing the limits of that hospitality.”

Reaching over to the table, Emilia selected a skewer of grilled meat and vegetables. “What are you willing to give in exchange for something so rare, it’s no longer being produced? We’ve tried to make more, believe me. Our attempts at manufacturing new Atargatis Skins have been utter failures. We have no choice but to rely on the originals, passing them down through the generations… or stealing and killing for them.”

She took a bite from the skewer, chewing thoughtfully. "They're dangerous too, you know. Addictive. It's the whole reason why the Finfolk exist. You're looking at a community of addicts. That's why they were made illegal. So, how much are you willing to sacrifice for it?"

Ishani sobered as she witnessed the conversation. Her mind filled with memories from when she and Arcturus had killed a mermaid and taken the Skin from her corpse. Thinking of Arcturus made her ache with longing and despair. That was the day she had realized she couldn't stay with him forever, no matter how much she wanted to spend her life with him. Not while knowing what sort of person he was turning into. What sort of person she was turning into, under the influence of Sith teachings.

Emilia’s eyes flicked toward Ishani, and she gestured to her with the skewer as though it were a scepter. “I didn’t catch your name, dear.”

Ishani jumped, startled out of her dark reverie. For a moment she was afraid that Emilia and the rest of the Finfolk all knew what she had done, and had led her into a trap. But that was an impossibility… wasn’t it? “I-Ishani,” she stammered out. “My name is Ishani.

“She’s one of us,” Leon said, coming to her rescue. "From out of town."

"From Pirivena," Ishani added, naming the half-submerged city famous for its large Finfolk population.

Emilia nodded, taking another bite of the skewer. Ishani wished she hadn’t agreed to come to this party.

Last edited:
Mariah bobbed her head side to side in response to the question, "Yes and no? While I am interested in viewing the culture, I doubt I'd intend to stay. Recreation is one of the potential uses, exploration is another, no doubt more will come about over time. That is what happens with a lot of things." she said. She did understand there was some cultural significance it seems, still, she frowned as the woman said it was a push on their hospitality.

And yet, she still asked on the matter of price. And pointed out the inability to make more. And the mention of the lengths some of them had gone to to that point. She also brought up the other issue, addiction. That was after-all why they were taken off the market. Mariah had some thoughts on the matter, but it wouldn't matter how much she prepared if she never got one anyway. She'd need to be careful, but she wasn't sure how affecting it would be. Or if it was permanent. Her ship was fairly large though, she imagined she could fit a pool inside if need be.

What would Mariah offer, she considered. She was curious if credits alone would even interest them. It was entirely feasible she had more to offer than that, she almost certainly couldn't replicate the materials. Not alone at least, but that didn't mean there wasn't more to be offered to an underwater civilization.

Ishani was addressed while Mariah thought, waiting until it was over to answer. Ishani was out of town, and she did somewhat act it. Mariah remembered she was more receptive to Mariah's decisions as well. Something to remember perhaps. But she returned to the matter at hand,
"How much of myself I lose to it is my problem wouldn't you think? You nor anyone else here would be culpable for that. I'm familiar enough with active costs to know better than that. Potential addiction is one of many." She responded, "I can't offer a replacement, what I can do is discuss sorts of alternatives and aids. No matter how you twist it, your population can only genuinely grow so much. Beyond that you'd end up sharing, if that's even an option. I know that wearing the skins you can live underwater, but when torn you'd end up having to return to the surface right? I am very familiar with shields. What I could do is build you forcefields, with internal atmospheres, that could be easily travelled into and out of, as well as the designs for them. On top of allowing you to always remain in the ocean regardless of damage sustained, they could provide some additional protection."

She took in a breath, "I could of course instead turn to resources, equipment, or plain credits for you. Depends on what you'd want for it, well, and what I'm able to offer." Naturally there was a limit to that, and what she was willing to offer. She might not value it as high as they did. If forced to, she might have to move to alternatives herself, if they simply refused or asked too much. She didn't really want to though. Nor did she know how long such an attempt might be, or how effective.

Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn

"How much of myself I lose to it is my problem wouldn't you think? You nor anyone else here would be culpable for that. I'm familiar enough with active costs to know better than that. Potential addiction is one of many."

Emilia smirked. “Just making sure you know the risks involved, dear. We don't induct anyone into our ranks without telling them the truth about the Skins, either.”

She seemed a bit more interested as Mariah offered to build underwater shields for them. It would certainly help, especially with the Finfolk hunters who went after dangerous sea life—or even for general use. Not too long ago, there had been a big stink over a young mermaid named Gerda who had drowned after her Skin scraped some sharp rocks underwater, puncturing the material. Emilia had known her and grieved her loss.

“If it’s possible to make these underwater shields you speak of, perhaps that would be payment enough for a single Skin,” Emilia admitted. “But I would need proof first. Provide me with one of these shields, then I’ll give you a Skin. And no funny business—don’t charge us exorbitant prices for future shields. Better yet, give them to any Finfolk who want them free of charge.”

Mariah smiled, and nodded her head as Emilia responded to Mariahs statement of responsibility. She probably should have taken it correctly not as judgement, but oh well. The matter of ability for them to work, and price, there was also the issue of giving them to any finfolk free of charge which did get a face from her. Making a few sizable ones was one thing, but giving something like that to any finfolk was an entirely different one.

She clicked her tongue and rubbed her fingers together in thought, "Their possibility isn't really that difficult. The Gungans had their own methods for them ages ago. Not the same tech I'd be using, but the concept isn't too new, just rare. But I'm pretty good with shields." She explained, "I can make you quite a few but...giving one to every finfolk could be a bit problematic. If all you wanted was basically a personal shield of some kind, something that could cover a person, that might be possible depending on just how many finfolk you have. That would also probably require its own system for how it deals with air and water. Give me the max number I'd need to make of those and I'd know more. Otherwise I was thinking of ones closer to the size of buildings, they'd be more difficult to move. But they'd be sturdier and you could certainly fit a good amount of people in them if organized correctly. I'm afraid doing both would be a bit too complicated for price range, I do only have so many credits myself. Much of my production is actually done via outside help and I get paid for the use of my designs or for more advanced, but fewer, pieces of tech."

It was pretty costly if she intended to house the entirety of the finfolk Mariah expected. She didn't know just how much that would set her back. And she definitely couldn't afford to give them all personal containments. But several very large structures was reasonable, a blocks worth perhaps, or maybe a few dozen mid sized ones that were closer to a house. Gettin everyone a small one would actually be more costly, and in her mind, less efficient.

But she really did want this skin...it was just a matter of what she could actually accomplish, and was able to reasonably do, to get it.

Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn

Emilia shook her head. “We don’t need shields for buildings. We need personal shields to prevent people drowning in their own suits in the open sea because of a small tear in their Skin.” She leaned back, looking bored. “If these Gungans you speak of already have that kind of technology, it sounds like we’d be better off doing business with them.”

Designing the shields should be enough," Ishani spoke up. "Mariah can sell them. That way anyone who wants one can buy one—for a reasonable price.” Frankly, she found Emilia’s demand for free shields for an entire population completely ridiculous. It didn’t matter how rare the Skins were or how many Finfolk would need shields, it simply wasn’t a fair exchange.

Leon gave her a small smile of approval. Emilia tapped her manicured fingernails against the arm of her chair, then folded her hands in front of her.

“All right,” she said. “The deal would be the design of a personal energy shield for Finfolk, in exchange for one Atargatis Skin. How about that?”

Mariah shrugged on the matter of buildings vs personal, then shook her head about dealing with gungans, "They have buildings. Their personal shields wouldn't help any with the environment, they do have vehicles though. But they're not known for their deals with non gungans most of the time." she said simply before hearing Ishani. She smiled gratefully to her for that, the design alone of course would take at least some time. But the cost of just giving away the shields would have been considerable.

Fortunately, Emilia was alright with that. She had to guess that was partly because Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn was one of them. Mariah nodded to Emilia as she re-iterated the new agreement,
"That I can work with." a reasonable price wouldn't be an issue. Mariah was used to selling things or designs for only portions of their worth, as she would get their sums over time rather than immediately. Really it was just convincing whoever manufactured them en masse to accept that situation.

Then there would be working on the exact shield design needed, they'd need to be able to move still so that could require a little extra work on the matter. But, it was manageable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom