Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Fyrnock

Status
Not open for further replies.
ship_by_smirnovartem_d6qaors-pre.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: A personal ship for Mariah Marr
  • Image Source:Ship-406965736
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Permissions: N/A
  • Primary Source: N/A
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Heavy Transport
  • Length: 80 m
  • Width: 50 m
  • Height: 18 m
  • Armament: High
  • 2x Blaster turrets (sides of either wing))
  • 2x Heavy Laser cannons (front center)
  • 2x ship Missile launcher with rotating options allowing choosing of missile types. (On wings nearer cockpit)
  • Defenses: Extreme
  • Ray shield
  • Agrinium (Radiation defensive measure als produces a considerable defense against EMP weaponry)
  • Durasteel
  • Particle_shield
  • De-ionizer system to repair damage from ION weaponry
  • The generators that powers the overlapping ray and particle shields is incredibly strong allowing consistent long term use against enemy firepower, a somewhat better tolerance for ION weapons, and more resistance against Shield disruptor type weaponry.
  • Squadron Count: None: 1
  • Maneuverability Rating: Average,
  • Speed Rating: Average
  • Hyperdrive: Yes
  • Hyperdrive Class: 1.4, backup 8
STANDARD FEATURES
  • All standard features
  • Medbay
  • Good cargo hold
  • Communications room
  • Lounge
  • Crew quarters with 10 bunks (beds can close themselves off for privacy.),
  • Captain quarters
  • Inside engine and hyperdrive access
ADVANCED SYSTEMS
  • Overlapping High power shields: The most impressive aspect of the Fyrnock, the ship combines three pairs of Ray and particle shields after each other, performed by a set of top of the line generators creating a defense system that outmatches almost every ship of its class and makes the Fyrnock incredibly difficult to destroy or disable. This also poses an issue for some types of shield bypassing weaponry that rely on deactivation or survival through a shield to reach a target, as it has to do so through multiple. Added onto this is the ships durasteel armoring and agrinium defense which is something that makes it excellent against EMP weaponry, making it a remarkably durable vessel that is difficult to damage or shut down. This shield system isn’t always on due to power consumption, and may have the power reduced on standard travel.
  • Rotatable missile options: The missiles on the wings can fit up to 12 each, separated into sets of 4. This means that each wing has three options of missile to choose from when firing, though doing this option would also mean they have less of each type of missile. In order to have all the same time the six missile feeds simply need to be loaded with all the same type of missile.
  • Shield directivity choice: As it is impossible to fire the missiles with the shields activated. There is some level of control over where the shields are active. In order to fire the missiles, the front of the ship can deactivate its ray shields in order to allow the missiles to be sent off.
STRENGTHS
  • Extremely impressive defense system
  • Medbay
  • Good cargo hold (can open up directly to the outside, easier way to get things like speeders in and out)
  • Relative Comfortable living
  • Dedicated communications room with long range encrypted Holotransceiver. This room also is what connects the ship to the holo-net and can be used to boost signals connected to it.
  • Adaptable missile launcher.
  • Good offensive weaponry.
  • Two six member escape pods.
  • Hidden cargo bay can fit 1 ton.
  • De-Ionizer system helps repair reverse ION weapon effects after being hit.
WEAKNESSES
  • When fully active the Fyrnock’s shields are practically a beacon of energy. This makes the Fyrnock extremely easy to find for most trackers while active. This also means that tracker missiles can sometimes have a FAR easier time of hitting the ship.
  • Maneuverability and speed of the ship are average. This has resulted in an odd combination of enemies, as the Fyrnock can take hits from far heavier enemies, but can’t as easily hit fighters as it has to either rely on its turrets or hope that they stay in front of the ship long enough for the heavy blaster cannons to hit or the missiles to lock on.
  • The rotation of missiles does take extra time off firing speed.
  • Though it does have good weaponry the ship, and excellent shields, the ship was not designed for offensive means, only survival. As a result this may be a poor choice for frontline space battles. As even with it’s shields it will eventually run out of energy to sustain them against powerful weaponry. While it serves mainly as only efficient attacking ships of the same size or somewhat larger.
  • Solar Ionization weaponry may still get through.
  • ION weapons can still pose a threat, especially anything of another ship of the same size or bigger. The resistance is limited and only reduces a portion of the damage done.
  • The De-Ionizer system does not immediately reverse the effects, and is not a constant effect.
DESCRIPTION
Crew: 6
Pilot
Co-pilot
Navigation
Communications
Turrets (2)

Passengers: The ship only has ten built in beds though it could carry more they would have nowhere to sleep but on the floor or chairs.

Consumables: 5 months.
Cargo Capacity: 170 metric tons.

The Fyrnock’s original purpose is unclear. All that Mariah knows is how she got it, it’s shield system was already existent allowing the ship to handle far more firepower than it could dish out. That would make it excellent for a smugglers vessel she assumed, but usually they went with speed, not defense. And it showed no particular superiority in that aspect. The adaptable missile system was an addition that Mariah added later on. Otherwise, the ship was rather common. It had a good hyperdrive but not something so exceptional that it would drag attention. The ship, while comfortable, wasn’t luxurious. She did believe the fully equipped med-bay was an interesting addition, and it would help her considerably over time.

In spite of it’s shields, it’s clear it’s not designed for lone combat. It might be very dangerous to other Corvettes due to it’s considerable durability and high weaponry. But would be hard pressed to take down a trained starfighter as it’s turrets would be it’s only useful strategy against them, being big enough that most fighters could avoid it’s front where most it’s weapons are. It might also pose a threat to a Frigate, as it should be able to handle firepower long enough to get off enough good shots. However beyond that things become far more difficult as it’s weaponry can only go so far. And the bigger ships also may carry heavy enough firepower to eventually cause the shields to fail.

Truth is the Fyrnock is usually used to leave combat, not enter it. It is travel oriented and sufficiently nice that living in it wouldn’t be unpleasant. It could transport a fairly large amount of people short ranges, if they don’t feel like sitting down. But the optimum crew is one of 6 where each has a bed and a job.

Last edited:
Dangit, posted this with the wrong character. Oh well. Can't fix that now.

Also I realized the width of the ship really didn't match. I made that smaller to 50.

Last edited:
Salis Salis - While your ratings are balanced, and you have a decent spread of strengths and weaknesses, I think there needs to be some explanations as to what you've linked, and how it meshes with what you've written in this submission. I'll be quoting portions of your submission and highlighting the portions that immediately stand out to me.
Piecemeal Clipping:
  • The generators that powers the overlapping ray and particle shields is incredibly strong allowing consistent long term use against enemy firepower, a far greater resistance to EMP and ION damage, and a greater chance to stop or misdirect shield bypassing weapons.
  • Overlapping High power shields: The most impressive aspect of the Fyrnock, the ship combines three pairs of Ray and particle shields after each other, performed by a set of top of the line generators creating a defense system that outmatches almost every ship of its class and makes the Fyrnock incredibly difficult to destroy or disable. This also poses a serious issue for systems that are used to bypassing shields, as they often rely on passing through only one, but the combination of shields produces a prolonged defense against these types of weapons. Added onto this is the ships durasteel armoring and agrinium defense, making it a remarkably durable vessel that is difficult to damage or shut down. This shield system isn’t always on due to power consumption, and may have the power reduced on standard travel.

As it stands, this submission has three layers of deflector shielding, which is broken down further into a layer of ray and particle shielding for each deflector shield. However, as that's simply standard deflector shielding - I'm curious as to how it's capable of stopping or misdirecting shield-bypassing weapons? For example, Solar Ionization Cannons, which are light-based weaponry and don't operate on the same principle as conventional energy weapons - hence their ability to bypass conventional energy shielding. If it's an individual field disruptor, which some weapons or equipment seems to have - I can agree with you that having to go through several layers of shields would be a incredibly difficult and dangerous. But, if a weapon system doesn't trigger the same response - like it would if the deflector screens were struck by laser cannons, and the like - they'd pass right through every layer of shielding until they struck their target.

In addition to that, Ray shielding only holds up so well against EMP and Ion damage. For visual reference. Granted, it's a planetary emplacement versus an ImpStar, but for the sake of explaining my aforementioned point, it works perfectly in my opinion. Usually starships have iconic countermeasures to help dissipate and disperse the build up of ionic energy, however, the more powerful the device or blast - the more likely those defences are going to be overwhelmed. So, my recommendations here - would be to flesh out it's defensive capabilties to back up the claims you've made through the submission. Fleshing out the defences with ionic countermeasures. Some examples to get you started - should you wish to pursue these additions could be De-Ionizers and Cap Drains.

Naturally, if you believe that what you've provided is enough - you're welcome to request that we continue with the approval process. However, if that's the path we proceed down, I would like to leave you with words of caution. It's very likely that if used in a collaborative combat thread, this submission - as it stands currently - is likely to be reported if abused, or used improperly.

LT-137 LT-137
Ok so I made some edits according to what you told me.

Added weakness to Solar Ionization and instead tried to be a little more detailed on what types of weapons it defends against. As I realize it doesn't make sense for it to have any resistance to that.

Chaged some of the descriptions to mention the Agrinium is actually the main defense against EMP not shields. And that ION weapons though slightly less effect are still very useful, especially from a ship of equal size or larger.

I also noticed another issue, and added that in order to fire missiles, the front ray shields of the ship must be deactivated. I forgot about this and as I was checking all the sources again realized it.

In regards to the De-Ionizer I appreciate that. I realized that adding that to the ship itself would certainly be a useful feature, but like you said may seem too powerful. Since I read up on ION cannons some more it is mentioned that capital ships often have the crews to repair ION damage. So I may have De-Ionizers owned by the crew and Mariah, not as a function of the ship itself. This way it can still get hit, but could potentially be repaired.

Salis Salis - While Agrinium is a solid choice, it's more suited to protecting against cosmic radiation and the like - rather than EMP's. It wouldn't be overpowered to add the Deionizer functionality into your ship, as it is a system that doesn't seem instantaneous to me. Reversing effects can take some time as systems reboot, and the like. So, it's an option that you can add - if you wanted.

As for the bit about the shields, unless they're thermal shields, they can be programmed to be one-way - where it allows stuff out but blocks stuff from coming in. It'd be like how the Droideka is able to fire their weapons from within a ray-shield, but tank the incoming blaster bolts. But, if you wanted to have the shields lowered in order to fire the concussion missiles - that's quite the dual-edged sword in terms of weaknesses.

LT-137 LT-137
Well..the agrinium does specifically say "was highly resistant to all forms of radiation." in the wookiepedia article, which is something an EMP is entirely reliant on. And yeah I guess that makes sense that it's ok to add one. I changed the weakness instead to that it takes time to activate and won't be a constant reffect.

Ah I guess I forgot about that too. I removed that then, it was definitely going to be a bit of a danger to use missiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom