Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Public Ghosts of Ossus (The Scar Worlds)

FJp1uVB.png

Jerek's face was long as he gave a solemn nod to the man in charge.

He remembered some of the native Ysanna who traveled around on their reptilian mounts. Sometimes they would trek to the Academy where he spent his youth, speaking in cloistered meetings with the Jedi Masters as if they were peers. As a youngling, he and his fellow Jedi initiates had treated the strange people as curiosities, and the domesticated Kirruk as novelties. The animals had made a tempting target for dares among the initiates, though never did any of them manage to breach the watchful gaze of the Ysanna shepherd protecting them.

The Spacer Guild captain was right in noting the shepherd's glaring absence. And if the shepherd had been doing his duty until the end, where was his body?

Jerek was not the only one facing difficult truths that day. The mood seemed somber as the rest of the group surveyed the hulking wreck, especially for the likes of Master Jade. He could sense an undercurrent of guilt in her words, a confession of how personal her connection with the wreck was. The Jedi could understand that measure of regret, though none of them could turn back time to avoid those wrongs. Still, perhaps today they could right them for the future.

"You did what was necessary for the moment," the man intoned to her. Jerek hadn't been there that day, another of his own regrets after he had learned of the narrow victory the Jedi had eked out that day. He didn't have to witness the moment to sense her intentions in this one, they were written on her very face.

Even if it was a face hidden under a rather odd-looking helmet.

"Take heart, Master Jade, at least you weren't the one driving." Jerek flashed her a grin, his youth shining through their morbid discussions. Not for the first time, the Jedi realized he was likely the youngest among them. It was a fact that might have inspired another Jedi, even a younger version of himself, to push himself or show off to the others. Yet the only person he felt the need to impress was himself now, and that being could afford a moment of levity amid all the gloominess.

The Jedi welcomed the change in pace as a Kubaz approached the group. Though he seemed confused at their arrival, an exchange with Captain Drake sorted things out in short order. Their group rallied and equipment was selected before moving along into the belly of the wreck itself. Like others with Force abilities, Jerek didn't bother with cables or technology to get him up to the level of the opening, though he casually turned to his glowrod to illuminate the surroundings once he was inside.

He cast it over to the sequence of Ysanna markings that Drake had discovered. The Jedi squinted at them, surprised to see the evidence of the tribal people inside the ship. He had never known them to tackle such dark entities without the help of the Jedi. Jerek considered it a testament to how much had changed since the idyllic days when Ossus thrived under the Jedi Order.

"I'd need more than hands for that kind of magic," Jerek quipped, thinking of the tea Master Kortun had used so often for his lessons. The Jedi had neglected to bring along even a bottle of fizzyglug from the supply on his ship. "It might be easier to just take a holo-image of the symbols. We may find more as we venture deeper into the ship, and it won't take the Force to suss out their patterns."

For his part, Jerek couldn't exactly sense anything immediately dangerous here. Just the general sense of foreboding and malaise he'd come to associate with the trappings of Sith culture.

If there was truly anything that would assault them here, it was the smell.

Shipwrecks reeked!

Mishel Kryze

M

O B J E C T I V E

A Kubaz, and someone else - always a salvagers way to fight for the right to scrap it first. Short of the 'I licked it' and it's mine methodology. It was always best to play nice, Drake did just that although not so much that the Kubaz could walk all over him. Yula did a prelim and mentioned something that the First Order ships wouldn't be haunted. "The First Order's haunted in different ways, still ghosts - just a different type." She reminded Yula, it was a small nudge - if anything else.
"If Sith have proven anything else, they're just out to tea in the Netherworld," she commented on Kaia's statement as they descended into the belly of the beast.
"Also, Yula - we're definitely heading back to the First Order part of that salvage yard. Those bastards knew how to build a ship to last." Hey, short of the I licked it and it's mine - she was definitely not going to pass up on some good credits. As to Valery's mention of it being here for some time, "there's older ones not too far from here, Ossus' has seen its share of fighting."
She was surprised that bounty hunters and mercs weren't all showing up to Class-D delete the Sith who lingered with the infamous phrase of, 'Ossus's haunted.'
"Yes to the pictures but also..." Mishel's voice tapered off as she concentrated, "Master Jade, you mentioned you brought this ship down - was there anything significant about it?" It was one of those moments she really hoped that her "mynock senses" were just having a glitch and were not indeed going off to alert her to anything terrifying that might lurk around these parts.
The ship seemed to groan in response to their presence. "... . I know ship's don't have spirits or anything, but something about this feels. . . Different."

Ralia had wandered further away from Brandyn, leaving him to reflect on the persistent antagonism that they seemed to share. To be fair, it was largely one sided. He had grown up with two headstrong sisters, dominant personalities in their own right. But this was more than a sibling rivalry scenario, Ralia genuinely had some form of gripe that had not been laid bare.

Do I just ask her? Do I keep giving as good as I get?

“Don’t you put that out into the galaxy!” Her eyes shifted first to the left, and then to the right.

As if on cue, her datapad blinked. A ping from the probe droid.

The Zeltron’s words pulled Brandyn’s attention away from his state of pondering. “Can’t take it back now,” he said in an ominous tone that was in direct contrast to the smile on his face, “what could it beeeee?”

“Don’t worry about the Sith ghosts. Probably out to lunch, or raiding some ghost planet full of innocents…”

Another Jedi weighed in on the possibility of the ship being haunted. His smile diminshed ever so slightly at the concept of Sith ghosts. He had heard of them, seen some holovids with Sith ghosts in them as a story element, but they couldn’t be…that bad? Right?

”Haha…yeah…Sith ghosts,” he said, smile no longer carried with levity but a sense of unease.

"Alright everyone listen up! As soon as Yula confirms structural integrity we're going in. If you get separated or into trouble remember to activate your emergency beacon. This could all be local superstition but its a good bet something's in there."

“Prelim looks good, doesn’t look like it’ll collapse on us unless we…I dunno, blow the reactor or something. Which we're not gonna do, right?”

“Don’t blow up the reactor. Noted,” muttered Brandyn to himself as he approached the ship.

He checked his belt clips to insure his emergency beacon was still there.

”Not getting nervous are we, Brandyn?” Came the familiar voice of his Twi’lek ‘foe’. Ralia didn’t exactly look at ease herself, and Brandyn instantly considered that she might be deflecting lest he accuse her as she had him.

“Being nervous isn’t a crime, Ralia,” said Brandyn, taking the ropes used by the previous party members, and began ascending to the entry point above, “the real crime is going to be how easy I steal the win from you.”

“Wait…win?” She said with a frown before looking up and realising what Brandyn meant, “not everything is a contest, Sal-Soren.” Her words said one thing, but her actions another as she reached for a second ascension rope and earnestly began her climb to the entry point above.

Given the head start, it was Brandyn that made it to the top, but only barely. Ralia had made up some time. His face said victory, but his body signified annoyance as he slouched a little against the wall. Ralia opened her mouth to declare that she would have won given a fair starting time, but Brandyn had turned away from her already. “Not in front of Master Noble, Ralia,” he whispered back to her.

"I think these are Ysanna markings," he turned back to the Jedi, "Can one of you...do the magic hand thing?"

“Like…writing? Is it similar to Classic Ossan?” Brandyn said with clearly wavering confidence, “I hear it has some similarities to ancient Chandaarian…which I have a passing familiarity.”

Great Brandyn, you know a little of a language from a different world that is similar to a language from this world that is not the language from this world that is on the wall…well done.

He glanced over at Ralia expecting to see her rolling her eyes, and she did not disappoint, though he would later remember that she only started to do so after he looked at her. Her initial expression had almost been one of…sympathy?

6JlRSSI.png

[theme]

---------------
Valery said:
"You helped bring it down once, now we get a chance to remove its taint for good,"

Her nostrils flared; she inhaled the thick mist. "You're right."

To Jerek, "Let's be glad I wasn't driving...it would've been waay worse." She was a terrible pilot, despite her subtle wiles and skill in other areas, piloting was no where near the top for her.

"Mhm--Well it took a combined effort amongst the Jedi present, but I led them. Prior though, I was warned that there was some sort of ritual happening in orbit. The task force failed to stop it, and the engine exploded? Just suddenly this massive ship was plummeting towards the temple. I can't say for certain yet, but I assume, whatever ritual they were performing on board has now branched out. Things like that just don't sizzle away..."

She sauntered, walking into the space next to Mishel.

Mishel said:
"... . I know ship's don't have spirits or anything, but something about this feels. . . Different."

"Energy that's gone unchallenged like that...feeding on a world already scarred, there's nothing left for it to do but expand and corrupt."

Onboard, fetid water dripped from cracks above, and the only light was that which found its way down through gaps in the crushed metallic shell and the riotously verdant areas that now roofed parts of them.

The deeper she descended, the darker it became. She then followed on a path over piles of rubble and debris down the corridor. She stretched her awareness beyond her lithe frame.

Slinking her way through their group, she came up on the symbols -- they were put here.

She pressed down with the surface of her hand

Echoes:

All at once, the darkness began to become all consuming for those left aboard - a thousand voices that started as whispers fell into a chant that started low only to crescendo into a deafening pitch that entered the minds of the entire planet. The Worm Emperor seemed to shake for a moment, hand gripping tighter on the unseen ball in his palm as the ship began to adjust its massive path towards the planet - trapped in the gravity well of it, and guided by his hand; it was too late for anything less than a super star destroyer sized tractor beam to stop their descent.

For those across the planet, they would begin to see the cherished flagship turn from a black monolith in the sky - to a star falling to the planets surface, and the closer it got the more they could feel the chanting, regardless of Force affiliation. The Monolith's dark power had been magnified by the fear of its crew - and that power began to wash over the planet in droves. All the Darksiders would feel its rejuvinating energy, and all those who answered the call of the Light would feel its drain - as the less in control began to fall to the Dark side directly before their eyes.

Jedi hearing the words of the Worm Emperor in their mind - told dark truths they had hidden from them for generations, all fed into the minds of the impressionable and those among them who had any sense of doubt in the teachings of the Jedi. Sith secrets, the code, everything a Jedi was told to ignore would permeate the mind and mix with the dark energies that began to consume the planet.

There was shift, her mind pulled her through a warp in the empyrean. Shifting through mind pockets, she found herself observing more recent times...but...before them; this was some time after the crash but before their group came to Ossus.

The engraver...the one who carved these marks was wrought with fear. She couldn't read the markings but ---

-------

Heuh

"This is...or rather feels like some sort of warning? I think they might've carved these to turn others away...to warn them of something? Regardless, whoever it was that who wrote them, they were full of dread at the time. Beyond that I couldn't quite crack it. Documenting them though, could be a good idea."

Accompanied by: Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn

Ossus was a little jungle planet that, despite its relative lack of importance in the greater galaxy, held a whole lotta memories for a whole lotta people. Battles had been fought, friends and family killed, revenge sought, temples and other places destroyed. It was a microcosm of the past few decades in galactic history. To borrow a phrase: war, death, rebirth. Rinse and repeat.

I was here during the last invasion,” Starlin said, commenting more to his companion than anyone else in the group of Jedi and adventurers that had penetrated the wreckage of the Sith ship. “My master had a vision of the attack, so we came here to help defend it. That’s how I met Th—Arcturus.

Arcturus Thesh, the Sith acolyte who had abandoned his mission in order to help Starlin smuggle the younglings to safety. The memory of it seemed so bizarre now, like a beautiful dream.

Starlin’s companion, Ishani, looked off into the distance as if she too were caught up in a reverie. “This is where he went when he came back to the Sith,” she said. “At least, it’s where I first saw him again.”

Bit of a weird place for a date.

She sighed and shook her head. “He was trying to avoid me. I chased him down through the snow and refused to let him out of my sight.”

Bow chicka wow wow?” Starlin inquired with a smirk.

“Chicka wow wow,” she agreed softly, still with that distant dreamy look in her eyes.

Overhearing the conversation between the other Jedi, Starlin asked, “Well Ish, can you read Ysanna?

She blinked. “Who?”

How about ghosts? Can you protect us from ghosts?

“Yes, actually.” Rifling around in her pack, she produced a small vial. “If you wear this perfume, ghosts will leave you alone. It’s like bug spray, but it smells a lot better” She looked around. “Anybody want a spritz?”

Junker Jonn Junker Jonn

"Can I transport cargo faster?" Aeshi asked, raising an eyebrow. "Naturally. I can push point-four past lightspeed. What's the best yours can do?" That should make a difference. Unless they were Ike ships or a few Silk types, there weren't many stock ships that could push speeds like that. Certainly not ones used for hauling low-value cargo, which was the catch. The Requiem was a smuggling ship, not a bulk transport, which meant she had a fairly limited amount of cargo space. Valuable cargoes though, she could carry quickly and securely. The ships turbolaser could make sure of that.

"Ultimately, price depends on the distance, destination, and expenses." She said after a moment. "You can get your best returns from me on high-value, low-mass cargoes. My ship's set up as a tramp freighter rather than a bulk carrier." She caught sight of Yula in the distance and waved back. Fewer droids was a relief, that was for sure. Last time she'd nearly gotten hurled off a cliff by a bunch of rogue security droids.

But the others looked to be making their way inside, but Aeshi hung back. Once a ship crashed, it wasn't her problem anymore. She didn't do surface salvage and if there were no chances for survivors, it was basically just a hulk of metal to her. Weights to be guessed and values to be estimated sure, but not much beyond that.

It was a corpse, just as much a human's skeleton one. Something to be treated with respect as much as possible, but also something you didn't want to just leave laying around in the dirt, even on a world like Ossus.

Well, especially on a world like Ossus.

wAeSv0H.jpg

Tags: Atlas Drake Atlas Drake | Jerek Zenduu Jerek Zenduu | Mishel Kryze | Sly Chance Sly Chance | Romi Jade Romi Jade | Aeshi Tillian Aeshi Tillian
Valery Noble Valery Noble | Kyyrk Kyyrk | Yula Perl Yula Perl | Kaia Starchaser Kaia Starchaser | Brandyn Sal-Soren Brandyn Sal-Soren | Starlin Rand Starlin Rand
The Spacer Guild fellow who spoke for the Jabber agreed, and Junker Jonn found both satisfaction and anxiety warring for his heart. On the one hand, he was proud that he hadn't let the Force-monks walk all over him. This was his site, kark it all, he'd gotten here first! On the other, he recognized that the Jedi probably wouldn't have let him come along if they thought he was going to try to lay claim to whatever they were after... which probably meant they were either after something that he couldn't sell, or they weren't after any kind of treasure at all. Atlas's caveat echoed in his mind: I won't be held responsible if you get yourself killed.

What was he getting himself into, exactly? It wasn't looking much like a road to fame and fortune.

But stubborn pride kept Junker from backing out. He led this crew, and he wasn't about to look like a coward in front of them. He'd lose their respect like that. So he clambered along behind the Jabber, zipping his hazard suit back up just in case. The Jedi might be able to magic away the harmful effects of radiation leaks and toxic fuel spills, but he sure as chit couldn't, and he had no desire to experience any more of Mek-Sha's back-alley medical care than was absolutely necessary. The group entered through one of the many hull breaches. Not a spot Junker would've picked, because it wasn't close to any sections he expected to find valuable scrap in.

More evidence that they were here for something other than the treasure he'd expected.

There was something about derelicts that both unnerved and called to Junker. It was the uncanny quiet of them. They were seldom actually silent, of course, especially if they were planetbound rather than drifting in the endless void. Deck plating creaked and bulkheads groaned. Small local critters raced through broken ducts, chittering and gnawing, building their nests in the broken housing of power couplings. Often, the steady drip of water (or fuel, or coolant) could be heard, somewhere behind the ragged walls. But that wasn't the eerie part. It was the sense of a place that ought to be full, but had been left utterly empty. A city devoid of citizens.

Over two hundred thousand crewmen, enlisted and officers, had manned the Red Dragon before it fell. Some had escaped. Many had died. All were gone now, and a ship whose population had exceeded that of many frontier planets and a not inconsiderable number of Core Worlds cities was left barren of any sentient life. There ought to be the tromp of feet over deck plating now covered in a thick layer of dust, pilots and gunners rushing to their stations, tired deck officers headed back to their bunks. There ought to be overhead announcements in clipped Imperial accents, directing and scheduling the ship's routine. There ought to have been life here.

Where there ought to have been two hundred thousand, there were only ten. Ish. More Jedi kept showing up.

In situations like this, Junker liked to make up little stories about the people who'd lived and worked in these abandoned halls. He dreamed up love affairs and commendations and incidents of insubordination, giving names to the dead, imagining their faces and their daily routines. It was this fascination with the daily lives of the those who'd once inhabited each wreck that got him through the eeriness, restored the missing people element of the shattered derelicts. There had never really been a First Lieutenant Bandersnatch on the Red Dragon, sure, but attributing some scorch marks on the wall to the Lieutenant's secret cigarra vice cut down on the eerie vibes.

That strategy only worked so well on the Red Dragon, though. This one was extra spooky.

The Jedi made much of some weird scratches on the walls, chattering back and forth about imaging it or somehow reading it with their magic. Junker paid it little mind. He was busy both inventing his little stories and checking for the best places for his cutters to get to work. They wanted the valuable stuff first, like relatively intact subsystem components and expensive hyperdrive coolant, but even the metal bulkheads could be sold off. Military-grade durasteel wouldn't make you rich, but it'd help pay the bills. Jonn kept updating his mental map of the Sith warship, noting where the breaches were, where the superstructure had been weakened or broken.

It would all come in handy later, when the bigger salvage crews arrived for the final tear-down.

Provided that all the Jedi talk about Sith ghosts was just joking around. It was joking, right? Some of them seemed more casual and humorous about it than others. And the perfume thing... that couldn't be real, could it? Junker had never understood any of this mystical stuff. He liked machines because they kept things simple. They either worked or they didn't, and if they didn't, you could open them up and see why. Ghosts weren't like that. He had no way to figure them out, much less deal with them. So if this ship was actually haunted by Darth Doom or Lord Vilefinger or Emperor Wickedbad or whatever, he was going to cut his losses and go. It wasn't worth his crew's lives.

"So, uh..." he piped up from the back, his high voice echoing off the walls, "what are we looking for, again?"

------------------------------
Outside, Ersmik let out a low whistle. "Point four, huh? Yeah, that's just a tad faster than us." She chuckled, a rich bass.

"Sounds like a first-pass kind of deal," she told the spacer, her tail lashing through the grass behind her. "On our first pass we go for the high-value stuff - hyperdrive components, parts from the weapon and shield systems, reactor bits. Sounds like the kind of thing that might make a good cargo for your business model." She shrugged. "It'll be a while, though. We're still in the scouting phase, and if that business with all those Jedi holds us up..." She shrugged again, casting an apologetic glance in Aeshi's direction. "Might be a couple of days before we're ready."

Last edited:
"This is...or rather feels like some sort of warning? I think they might've carved these to turn others away...to warn them of something? Regardless, whoever it was that who wrote them, they were full of dread at the time. Beyond that I couldn't quite crack it. Documenting them though, could be a good idea."

"Wonderful," Drake grimaced at the ominous translation, "Yula, take a few scans for study. Do you agree, Sal-Soren?"

Young Brandyn also seemed to recognize the markings perhaps through some common mother language. Meanwhile the expedition's Chaldean mystic offered them all a peculiar form of scented protection from evil spirits. Atlas liked to think of himself as open minded but out here on the frontier such homeopathic remedies were often thought of as vexis oil. Ishani didn't seem like a con artist and yet the best ones never did.

"Perhaps later if this really is a haunting."

He raised his glowlamp and the shadows it cast seemed to take on a more foreboding presence than they had before. Even those without a strong connection to the Force could sense the ship's powerful supernatural currents. It was in the way his breath grew cold and the hairs on his neck raised. Atlas couldn't say hey liked the feeling but he'd never turned back from an expedition before. Stubborn habit drove him on more than courage.

"So, uh..." he piped up from the back, his high voice echoing off the walls, "what are we looking for, again?"

Captain Drake felt some empathy for the kubaz. He was clearly in over his head and Atlas regretted trying to scare him off by not guaranteeing the foreman's safety. Junker Jonn didn't seem to trust Jedi, so even though pretty much anyone else was better qualified to explain he translated Master Jade's words into spacer talk as best as he was able.

"Some powerful Sith tried to use their magic here but the Jedi put a stop to things. Think of it like...an engine's power cycle. If you don't shut everything down right the reactor can overload. We're looking for signs of any wizard energy spikes."

Not long after the strange Ysanna warning they reached a section where the ship's hull split away revealing a long chasm between exposed cross sections. Atlas prepared to fire another grappling spike.

"We need to reach the turbolifts on the other side," he explained to his crew, "If we can find one intact we should be able to climb straight up to the command deck."

Last edited:
Atlas Drake Atlas Drake | Jerek Zenduu Jerek Zenduu | Mishel Kryze | Romi Jade Romi Jade | Junker Jonn Junker Jonn | Valery Noble Valery Noble | Kyyrk Kyyrk | Kaia Starchaser Kaia Starchaser | Brandyn Sal-Soren Brandyn Sal-Soren | Aeshi Tillian Aeshi Tillian | Starlin Rand Starlin Rand

At least the others seemed to have some idea about the strange markings; esoteric runes were not Yula’s specialty. Neither was the dark side.

"Yula, take a few scans for study."

“Roger, Cap’n Drake.” Did he have a rank? She had no idea.

Tapping in a few places on her datapad, a translucent ray of light beamed outwards. Yula held it over the symbols and the scan moved on its own, intuitively following the strange lettering on the wall. “I can throw it into a decoder, see what comes up. Maybe-“

Her thought was interrupted by a high-pitched mechanical scream. The probe droid she’d sent in was now approaching them frantically, yodeling in panic and waving both arms, one of which was damaged to the point of sparking.

“What the-“

WAAAAAAAAOOOO!

The scan largely completed and now wholly forgotten, Yula bounded over to her erratic droid. The droid didn’t stop as she approached, continuing to rocket towards the group at an alarming speed. It all happened quickly: the droid slammed into the wall at full force and its damaged probe tangled with some of the exposed wirings of the dilapidated ship. Sparks leaped, Yula was briefly electrocuted, and a minor explosion occurred.

The ceiling collapsed, and the Zeltron engineer somehow made it out relatively unharmed, aside from some singed skin and twitching. After shaking it off, Yula found herself staring at a pile of rubble.

“Uh…uh oh.”

Some of the crew were with her, and she hoped that the rest were on the other side of the debris. The poor probe droid, however, had been thoroughly crushed, its mangled body partially embedded within the wreckage.

“Wh…probie! No! Not like this! I had three more field tests scheduled...” Dropping to her knees, she exhumed the droid’s unmoving body and cradled it in her lap as if it were a child. “You were so young…a first-generation model.” Sobering suddenly, she retrieved her datapad and typed in something quick. “Reinforce...arm...servos....”

While Yula momentarily mourned her project, the two groups—one now closer to the reactor and the other closer to the command deck—would have to figure out their next step.

She supposed it was time to get to a bit of work here. The Mirialan had a previous working relationship with Drake so she knew that working with him was fine, but she didn’t want to step on his toes and move anywhere ahead of what he wanted. She was a subcontractor after all. This was a mission to Ossus, of course there were going to be Jedi, and it was a mission to a Sith vessel, of course there should be Jedi. For now, she’d hold back on just who she was, unlike her father, and brother, Kaia had kept a mostly honest low profile.

But if these new beings were sensing the Force, who knew what they’d find in her, and what they could tell about who she was. Not that her father or brother needed protection, but she didn’t exactly need… shoot, her ship was marked as Starchaser Enterprises. Well, there went flying under the radar… Really, Dad? She idly wondered if Kyra Perl Kyra Perl had felt the same, though the Perl’s relationship with their father was probably a bit better. There were a few others here who were more Jedi than she was, so hopefully they’d be the ones someone would focus on.

Wasn’t there a bounty? There was always a bounty.

At least there were enough lightsabers here. As they stepped aboard the ship, she was going more for her glowrod than her lightsaber, and the Force. More to sense what was around, to knock as it were. “We can hope you’re right, Mishel.” Her father’s Padawan, if she even still claimed him as a Master. It would be a miracle for that, after all. “What are you afraid of them?” She smirked over at the new one… Brandyn? She hadn’t met him before.

“And Romi, we’ve got all of us. The energy can’t do much.”
Aside from fester, and grow. But well, she was her father’s daughter. And with someone like Romi here? She knew what they were then capable of.

Smiling, the dark haired girl was shaking her head as Drae explained the Force… poorly. He wasn’t so wrong. But well… “I can send the Sergio units to the engineering level, and… do you want someone to find the wizard … spike?” Was that how he called it? She could help with that. One thing she was moderate at was finding things.

“The feth…?”
She muttered as she turned. “You good there, Yula?” Please don’t ruin that face…

Atlas Drake Atlas Drake Jerek Zenduu Jerek Zenduu Mishel Kryze Romi Jade Romi Jade Junker Jonn Junker Jonn Valery Noble Valery Noble Kyyrk Kyyrk Yula Perl Yula Perl Brandyn Sal-Soren Brandyn Sal-Soren Aeshi Tillian Aeshi Tillian Starlin Rand Starlin Rand

Mishel Kryze

M

". . ."
Mishel let out a sigh, "and things were going so well." She said to no one and nothing in particular as she witnessed the droid, the Perl, and the collapse of a ceiling. "Right, I'll go over there and make sure nothing wicked this way shows." For the woman who had walked the path of the dark and the light, utilizing the Force for a simple trip across the chasm was nothing much. The Tygaran looked over toward Starchaser as she gave Yula a quick look over. "Doesn't look like she's broken anything, probably as thick-skinned as ol' Joza herself."
"C'mon Probie," Mishel's new nickname for Yula, "we might as well see what we can see while we're here, get scans and whatever technobabble nonsense Captain Silverpants wants."
There it was, Mishel's usual fly-by-the-seams-of-her-pants glib tone. It was only then that Mishel noticed some manner of dust on her shoulders, she wasn't close enough to Yula to get caught up in the boom, just enough to get dusted by it. There was also the phrase of never split the party even though that is exactly what was happening. "Drake is there a place we should meet up, or maybe a safeword we should yell if something does decide to pop up and say boo?" Please don't say blue milk.
She did stop to see if anyone else would be headed their way, or if they were a party of two, three? For the time being.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyssa Io

The Daughter of Blades
Wearing: Nothing

Armed with: Herself, NK-30 Rail Submachine Gun

NK-01 Rail Pistol

BR-4 Blaster Rifle

Objective: Scavenge

12 hours earlier...

The NIO Soldiers had been fortunate enough to have cryo grenades on hand to stop her. The cryo grenades were the reason she had gotten herself aboard this vessel. It was a munitions transport

She had been frozen solid, then shattered into hundreds of pieces. The troopers first thought had been to flush the pieces out into space but tech like this was too valuable not to take back for study. They had put the frozen pieces in the fridge section of their vessels, and had tried to report their find, only to realize she had taken the time to sabotage main communications.

She had also jammed the airlocks. The Power Plant aboard the munitions frigate also started to have strange fluctuations.

That said, all of these precautions might have failed regardless, as the refrigerator unit had an independent power source.

That's why the Refrigerator had been the first thing she had sabotaged. She had stuck a little gadget inside that would register the presence of her Nanites. A small device that would turn the temperature up five minutes after her entry. She had anticipated the cryo Weaponry being used on her.

The chunks of frozen Nanites began to thaw, and after about twenty minutes, while Engineers frantically attempted to undo the sabotage to vital systems, they had thawed enough to start flowing together. All the Nanites were malfunctioning however, so when they came together to form a humanoid shape, they couldn't take Lyssa's preferred form, just a crude, half melted shape that was vaguely humanoid, constantly dripping bits of itself as it opened the refrigerator slowly...

"What the hell kind of Droid is it?" she heard from a guard.

"Nanomachines, Son..." answered the other. "I've never seen anything like it..."

"Who do you think built it? The Sith? The Maw?"

"If it were the Sith Empire that built such a thing they would have used it at every opportunity to kill or assassinate, just like the Maw would have...our losses would have been enormous, and it wouldn't just be one they would have used...to be honest, I heard rumors about DECEASED Erskine Barran DECEASED Erskine Barran encountering something like this at the second battle of Ziost...it butchered dozens of our men...but the brass was real hush on the whole issue..."

"Maybe we should just destroy it..." one guard said to the other as the creeping mess of silvery, mercurial doom slithered towards them from behind.

"You saw what it did...R&D gets their hands on this? Our research makes a quantum leap--"

A metal spike erupted through both their chests, but Lyssa could not maintain the shape for long due to the cryo damage and the spike broke down into mercury liquid as her humanoid figure, messy and dripping silver, reached for another device she had hidden in this vessels supply section. It was a remote trigger to kill the lights across the ship.

The damaged Nanite Assassin Droid, having it's first real brush with mortality, resumed her attempts to kill the rest of the crew, breaking down into a puddle and slowly moving into a vent...

Present...

"You were smart to prepare beforehand..." The Model 1 known as Clyde said after coming aboard the old Imperial Cargo Ship she had seized, it's crew quite dead at this point.

Lyssa, her Nanite structure still not fully stabilized, made her unable to fully keep her shape, parts of her now fully human outer appearance occasionally turning completely metallic, body rippling. Her Nanites were in debug mode, cleaning out remaining programming errors from freezing.

"What was it like, getting frozen?" Clyde asked, a datapad with a detached Programming Wire embedded in her head, studying the damage.

"You know when you're taken off line to repair severe damage?" Lyssa asked her little brother.

"Yes..." The Model 1 answered.

"Picture that...but a trillion times slower than a simple, instant shutdown."

Lyssa paused thoughtfully as she sat in the seat of the Captain's quarters.

"A most unsettling experience..."

"Chit, that's rough. I feel bad for you...Here Sis..." Clyde trailed, the skeletal soldier droid retrieving an injector full of black liquid.

"I'm giving you an injection of hyperdense liquid carbon. That should speed up the rest of your repairs..."

"I need busy work. The munitions on this transport were a worthy target...but I'm still bored as feth..." Lyssa muttered as her entire body shuddered from absorbing the high quality repair material. Repairs began to go much faster internally.

"Anything wrong with my central programming?"

"Your Nanites are something else, Sis. The errors have been completely purged. All that's left is physical damage mostly..."

"Do you have any more of those injections?" Lyssa asked.

Clyde tossed Lyssa a black medical bag full of them.

"There is an assignment that came up, now that you mention it. One of us would have taken care of it, but seeing as how you are so eager for more work, there's reports of a wreck on Ossus. Sith Warship. Valuable stuff probably aboard. It would be useful to sell what we find. A lot of worlds from the Bryn'adul are still affected. Funding the research to restore them might be a worthwhile task, depending on what you find..." Clyde suggested...

"Who knew dungeon crawling could be so fun?" Lyssa joked...

"Sounds interesting..."

40 minutes later

The TIE Silencer, a holdover from the Battle of Sarka, descended on Ossus, close to the wreckage of the warship. The Silencer had been painted Olive Green, the cockpit viewport a tinted black. Lyssa exited out of the top heavily armed, Two high tech weapons and a dirt cheap one. The rifle was slung over her shoulder, and the SMG held out, the pistol ready to be drawn from her thigh holster at a moments notice as she ventured towards the cracked warship...

As she walked, she began to take in the sights...and her Nanite structure detected another presence.

They moved out of the bush, dressed in scuffed armor of varying quality.

Lyssa regarded them with a serene, impassive expression.

"Well look what the stars brought, boys..." the leader of the pirate gang said. "Nice, fancy weapons you got there."

"I don't have credits..." Lyssa said with a tone as unusually serene as her expression.

"I'm sure those guns and that fighter will fetch a nice enough price. Ain't no normal scav can afford rail gun weaponry..." he replied.

Lyssa dropped all of her weapons slowly.

"Ehh, you're smart, if nothing else..." the Leader muttered, off put by her unworried expression.

As he gestured for his people to take them Lyssa reacted with superhuman speed, kicking his weapon away, then flinging one man into another two, doing her best not to break bones or damage organs as she fought using only the most non lethal techniques in her database, methodically disarming and hurling them all away from her in the span of 21 seconds.

Her expression never changed as she fought. No direct blows were used, only hand parries, flips, and body throws.

They were in a pile, groaning, but all uninjured enough to run away, leaving their weapons. She calmly picked up her own and made her way at last to the crash site...

Kaia Starchaser Kaia Starchaser

Yula Perl Yula Perl

Brandyn Sal-Soren Brandyn Sal-Soren

Atlas Drake Atlas Drake

Starlin Rand Starlin Rand

Valery Noble Valery Noble

Kyyrk Kyyrk

Romi Jade Romi Jade

Junker Jonn Junker Jonn

Jerek Zenduu Jerek Zenduu

Aeshi Tillian Aeshi Tillian

bWMGgIz.png
Valery: Appearance
Ship: Factory link
Valery had been standing guard some distance away when the screeching droid returned, and an explosion followed quickly after. Turning towards the source, she saw the partial collapse of the ceiling and Yula just barely getting out of it with minimal injuries. This was the 2nd time she had seen the Zeltron almost buried alive.
She made mental note of this.
"Be careful in there, the ship might not be that structurally sound after it crashed onto the surface," Valery said. It wouldn't be unlikely that she was the Jedi with the least amount of engineering skills on the team, but you didn't need to be an expert to know that this was a dangerous place to be.
Valery then sighed and decided to join up with Mishel Kryze, who had already made her way across. The brunette also wasn't going to climb her way across, so she jumped the distance and made an elegant landing on the other side. A nod was offered to Mishel before she stepped a little further into the hallway.
The Keshian's eyes adjusted quickly and she began to scout ahead. For now, she decided to hold off on moving any further - it was better if the team had the chance to catch up. Splitting into too many fractions would likely not be a good idea.
Because within this structure, she very much felt the lingering darkness.
"While the others make it across, we can see if the turbo lift is operational?" Valery asked as she looked over her shoulder towards Mishel.
F7r9prE.png

Either their efforts at cleaning the old freighter were successful, or else they'd just gotten used to the stench.

At least the hyperdrive was still operational. As much as the Corellian in him wanted to take pride in the fact that this was product of the CEC, the pragmatist in him would have had to admit that Corellian ships were known for many things. Reliability not being one of them.

They'd made a jump from Lothal to Garel, running the YT-2400 through something of an impromptu shakedown cruise. While the young Jedi hadn't sensed any malice from the Pau'un back at the Sabaac table in Ake's Tavern, the fact of the matter was that he was flying an unknown ship into an unknown situation.

Just 72 hours earlier, General Sor-Jan Xantha had been attacked by his own clone troopers aboard the Star Destroyer Sentinel -- his ship in the Open Circle Fleet, under High General Kenobi. In the intervening hours, he'd learned that the Jedi Council had demanded that the Supreme Chancellor relinquish his emergency powers, that the Jedi Order had been declared traitors to the Republic, and that Chancellor Palpatine had dissolved the Old Republic into a Galactic Empire.

Suffice to say, this hadn't been a good week for him.

He'd gambled with a damaged hyperdrive and made a blind jump to try and save those few who had come to his aid in rebellion against the machine-like clone army. They'd been eight when they'd made the escape from the Sentinel. They'd lost six in the crash on Lothal. Now all that remained was a lone knight and clone, a juvenile trooper who'd been on the ship as part of a training and familiarization exercise.

And the droid. A 2-1B medical unit, whose services might not have been enough. But they had been needed. And, at the rate they were going, would doubtless be only too valuable in the days ahead.

The sound of the navi-computer alarm echoed through the interior of the ship. Rearing his head up, the small Jedi peeked out from the maintenance crawlspace where he'd lost track of time trying to understand the wiring that the previous owner had snaked through the ship. It bypassed all the logical components and seemed to double-back on itself in several confounding redundancies that baffled the Anzati child for the fact that the ship worked at all.

Perhaps he shouldn't go looking for more problems however.

Pushing himself back up onto the main deck, the tow-headed boy stole a glimpse over at where the young clone of Jango Fett was current napping on the lounge sofa. They'd probably be landed before the youngling woke, clone trooper or not.

Making his way into the cockpit, the diminutive youth silenced the chime as he settled back into the pilot's seat. As a Jedi, Sor-Jan had often used ships for transport. Shuttles. Consular-class cruisers. But he'd never had one that he owned in any sense. As his hand reached for the hyperdrive controls, he found there was some nagging familiarity that was appealing about the idea of ownership. Such materialism was counter to how a Jedi ought to view themselves of course...

...but appealing, all the same.

Not nearly as appealing as the thought of finding a replacement crystal for Paperweight. Even while the weight of the lightsaber was unchanged, hanging as ever from his belt, the boy knew that something was wrong. Something was missing. The Ilum crystal which had served as the heart of his lightsaber for more than thirty years had been shattered. By what, he didn't know. The crash perhaps, but Paperweight had stood up against worse than that through the years.

With the Empire potentially bearing down on them -- if not now, then merely a matter of time -- it wouldn't do to head into a fight without a lightsaber at his side. They'd jumped to the Adega System in order to find an Adegan crystal, repair Paperweight, and then figure things out from there.

Ossus being a dead world, there was very little risk of the Empire looking for anyone here. As the boy rocked the hyperdrive controls forward and the mottled subspace shifted into the familiar stream of stars, the boy thought, it'll be nice to not have any surprises for once.

Then the stars snapped back into normal space.

...revealing a sky full of ships.

"Kark..."

As the Corellian's mouth fell open, the boy's eyes widened in shock and awe. Star destroyers. Bulk cruisers. All manner of ships, large and small buzzing around the planet.

A green planet. A living planet. Where ever was, it was the furthest thing possible from Ossus.

Frell. Frell karking fething kriff... The navi-computer must have glitched, and they just jumped to Ord Mantell. Or Onderon.

Whatever it was, it was the Imperial capital of GETTHEKARKOUT!

"....me," the boy concluded, as he finally snapped out of the shock and lunged forward so that he was standing over the controls. Turning his head back slightly, the young Jedi bellowed, "THREE!"

He hoped clones were light sleepers.

"Get into one of the turrets, we might have some company," he yelled back to the other boy, reaching across the co-pilot's console to divert power from the hyperdrive to the ray shield generators. Sinking back into the pilot's seat, the boy reached forward and forced himself to take a calming breath as he gripped the controls.

They were just a freighter. Nothing more. The Empire wouldn't be looking for a freighter. There was probably nothing to worry about. They'd cruise on, go about their business, and then jump out of this...

"This is the Republic warship Defender. Corellian freighter in grid nine-alpha, identify yourself."

What a lousy time to pick to start a conversation...

Odd fact, Sor-Jan hadn't actually looked for where the commlink was on this ship. The silence probably didn't make the best of impressions, as the small Anzat rooted around through the cockpit before he finally fished out a headset and found where to plug it into.

"Corellian freighter in grid nine-alpha, you have entered Republic space. Identify yourself. Do you copy?"

Republic space? Someone must not have gotten the memo on Palpatine's re-branding. "Uh... This is the, uh... Alderaan Queen out of Lothal," the boy answered, adjusting the headset -- which was made to fit a larger cranium -- as best he could. "We've, uh... had a slight navi-computer malfunction."

There was silence on the link for a moment then, as the boy slid over to call up the navi-computer. They should have picked up an astromech and run diagnostics on the thing before they'd blasted out of Lothal. But there hadn't been any problem to Garel...

"We will escort you to landing pad twenty-one."

The voice on the link returned, as the boy's head turned as he spied faint points of light emerging from out of the void of space. Slowly, they grew larger, until the outline and shape of starfighters were clearly visible against the backdrop of stars.

...except, Sor-Jan had never seen starfighters of this type before.

He'd served the Jedi Order, the Judicial Forces, and the Grand Army of the Republic. He was far from an expert on military hardware, but quite confident in the thought and belief that those were not ships used by the Republic. Or Empire. Or whatever it was now.

As his eyes wandered, he looked at the capital ships on the stellar horizon. They were similarly unfamiliar to him. Some of the markings were somewhat like what he would recognize, but the form... the outline... it was alien to him.

Where were they?

"You will not deviate from the indicated flight path."

As the starfighter escorts came into position, the young Anzat thought for a moment about making a run. Jumping out. But, already, they were a little too far down the rabbit hole for him not to see where it would end. Plying his hands obediently to the controls, he guided the ship in with the escorts. As they broke through the canopy of cloud cover, the child Jedi found himself looking down over a verdant green world.

It was beautiful.

...and frightening. As the ridges and contours of the planet became visible, Sor-Jan found the landmarks familiar. A foreboding sense of both awe and dread built inside of him, as he hesitated to look now toward the horizon.

If he was right, they would be approaching the ruins of the Jedi Temple.

...if this was Ossus.

Which it wasn't, because Ossus was a dead world.

Finally, the boy turned his head up. Blue eyes flickered to gaze at the horizon. And he saw it. He had seen it before. Many times. Even led an expedition to make recommendations as to whether any restoration was in order, or even feasible given the state of the ruins. And the toxic environment. Except, what he saw before him now wasn't in ruins.

It was glorious.

He had long tried to imagine what the Jedi Temple on Ossus might have looked like. He was looking at it now, utterly devoid of words and completely assured of his own slip into madness.

He had to be crazy, that was the only solution.

Whether madness or meditation, or just being Corellian, the small Anzat managed to land the small freighter on the indicated pad. He lowered the hatch and charged down the loading ramp just a few moments later.

And he fell to his knees, with tears streaming down his face.

This was Ossus.

This was the Jedi Temple on Ossus.
xtGBcrH.png

Star Destroyer Intervention | Orbit of the Planet Ossus

"Bridge to General Xantha."

The small Anzat was brought from out of his reverie, having lapsed some two decades past. In the boy's private cabin, a painting hung of an artistic depiction of an old Corellian YT-2400 light freighter.

The first time Sor-Jan had flown one, he'd come to Ossus. At the time, it hadn't been a pilgrimage but an act of desperation. The last act of defiance by a Jedi, his one surviving Clone Trooper, and a medical droid. They'd stolen the ship in Lothal...

...well, that was disingenuous at best, as it implicated the other two. The reality was, Sor-Jan had stolen that freighter. It had been his idea. He'd used his species' talent at telepathy to win the ship in a game of sabaac. Not that it had netted them much. They were on the run. A single blaster and broken lightsaber between the three of them. The Jedi had been extinguished, virtually overnight, by Supreme Chancellor Palpatine -- who had then declared himself the first Galactic Emperor.

Sor-Jan had needed a kyber crystal to repair his lightsaber and Ossus was supposed to have been a dead world. It seemed a calculated risk. What the boy had failed to realize was that his blind jump from the Empire, in a ship with a damaged hyperdrive, hadn't just transported him to Lothal, it had ferried him across hundreds of years.

He'd been fleeing the Galactic Empire. And he'd arrived at Ossus, only to be greeted by the Galactic Republic.

It wasn't, of course. At least, not the Republic that he had known. The same could be said for the Jedi. Their order had fallen and been rebuilt and fallen again. Many times over in history.

It was somewhat comforting to know that he was not the last Jedi, yet these were not the same Jedi that had raised him on Coruscant.

It seemed that the pendulum swung still, as the boy now walked over toward the windows in his cabin and found himself overlooking a desolate seeming planet once again.

Was this the nature of sentient life? A constant struggle, an endless cycle of death and rebirth?

The comlink buzzed a second time. A reminder that the bridge was still waiting on his reply. Collecting himself, the boy drew and released a calming breath. He was not a Jedi anymore. There were no Jedi in the corporate boardrooms of the Alliance. "Xantha here."

"We have entered orbit of the planet Ossus."

That much was obvious. Sor-Jan was fully capable of looking out the window. As vast as space was, at this distance a planet was difficult to miss. So, instead, the boy opted to merely remain quiet.

"What are your orders, sir?"

"Send a transmission to Romi Jade Romi Jade to inform her that parts and equipment for the Jedi Praxeum have arrived," the young Anzat remarked succinctly. After all, this was a business trip. There was work to do. Which meant that there wasn't time for a little boy to get lost in some misplaced sentimentality for the last days of the Republic. The Republic of then or now. "Then prepare a shuttle."

"Will you be heading planetside, sir?"

"Yes, I'll oversee the installation myself." That was hardly necessary, yet the work appealed to him in a sense. A chance to re-connect with the Jedi.

...even if all he was doing was setting up their holo-net service.

The boy was about to terminate the call when a stray thought came to him. "Do we have any holostations aboard?"

"Sir?"

"The fours, not the fives," the youth clarified. "Excess inventory."

"I'm sure we'll find a storage container or two in one of cargo bays,"

The ghost of a smile played across the young Anzat's face. Something to amuse Matsu Ike Matsu Ike with, perhaps. "Include it with the delivery," the boy noted simply.

"Very well, sir. Bridge out."

Moving over to his desk, the boy lifted a green short cape from the back of the chair and threw it around his shoulders. From its resting place on the nightstand by the bed, the silver cylinder flew through the air, attaching itself to the retainer ring on his belt with but an errant thought on his part. He stepped back to the expansive window. Peering out over Ossus. The same world. The same boy.

Yet, neither was the same at all.

He started to take a step away, then something caused him to take a second look at the world below. A presence...

Jerek Zenduu Jerek Zenduu was on Ossus. The Force was with him.

Well, then its good that I added holostations to the delivery, the boy thought to himself. "Xantha to the galley,"

"Galley here, sah."

"Do we have any fizzyglug?" The boy paused. That was a stupid question. Of course they had fizzyglug aboard. The CEO was a child... of a sort. By his own species standards, anyway. "The diet variety?" the boy clarified.

"Sah?"

"Have a case sent down to the hangar bay," the boy remarked cryptically. "I suspect some of the Jedi might appreciate the gesture."

Then again, how old was Jerek now? Humans aged at a pace that was, frankly, incomprehensible to the Anzat. As Sor-Jan approached his seventies, he was barely an adolescent. So it could very well be that Jerek had out-grown his love of Diet Fizzyglug and succumb to any number of vices that seemed to fixate adult humans.

Whatever the case, the boy proceeded from out of the cabin and headed toward the turbolift.

He had some computers to install.

wAeSv0H.jpg

Tags: Atlas Drake Atlas Drake | Jerek Zenduu Jerek Zenduu | Mishel Kryze | Sly Chance Sly Chance | Romi Jade Romi Jade | Aeshi Tillian Aeshi Tillian
Valery Noble Valery Noble | Kyyrk Kyyrk | Yula Perl Yula Perl | Kaia Starchaser Kaia Starchaser | Brandyn Sal-Soren Brandyn Sal-Soren | Starlin Rand Starlin Rand
Junker listened carefully (if somewhat skeptically) as Atlas translated the Jedi mission's goal into terms he could more or less understand. "Sith magic..." he muttered, slowly repeating bits of what the Spacer Guild fella had said. "Overload... Wizard energy spikes..." He would've assumed the guy was pulling his leg, hazing him somehow while the others laughed behind their hands, but the Jedi seemed to be taking it all totally seriously. And if what he was saying was actually true, well... this was sounding less and less like a place he wanted to be. If there had been an actual reactor meltdown to deal with, he'd have been right at home. But a magic ritual meltdown...

That was way, way outside his area of expertise. He was clearly in over his fuzzy head.

"So," the salvage crew boss finally piped up, visions of eternal torment twirling spookily across his brain. "Uh, quick question. What, uh... what happens if this figurative reactor does overload? Not worried, mind you, I'm sure you've all got it under control. Just, ah... Just curious. Mildly. You know what, don't even tell me." He swallowed hard, wishing he could turn and sprint back up the hallway, leaving the whole spooky mess behind. But he was far enough into the ship now that running off on his own was probably a terrible idea. With the Jedi and their magic powers around, he might have at least some protection against ghosts and ghouls.

He'd seen enough horror holovids to know what happened to the guy who wandered off from the group.

Before Junker could make any firm decisions about how to react to the intensifying weirdness, disaster struck. “WAAAAAAAAOOOO!” the pink Jedi's damaged probe droid wailed, streaking toward them at high speed. "AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!" the scav captain screamed in response, jumping back against the nearest bulkhead and cowering in terror. Sparks flew. Metal crashed. Heat rushed by. Junker squeezed his eyes shut, certain that Darth Evilmaim or whatever had ascended from hell to consume his soul. When the noise stopped and he finally, hesitantly opened them again, several of the Jedi were gone. So was the ceiling, collapsed into the corridor.

The scav turned to Atlas, panicked. "Are they... Are they dead?" But no. He could hear faint voices beyond the rubble.

Despite the suddenness and violence of the collapse, it appeared that the only casualty was Jonn's dignity, stripped away in an instant by his high-pitched shriek. His next words did nothing to help him reclaim it. "This... this is how it starts in all the holovids," he babbled, eyes wide behind his goggles. "First we get split up. Then they start picking us off, one by one. And it's never the big heroes that die first, so GUESS WHO THAT LEAVES! HUH? GUESS!" He was shaking, pressing his back against the wall and trying to make himself small. He could deal with radiation spikes, fuel leaks, or potential electrocution without batting an eye, but this?

This was too much. He was supposed to get rich today, not get his soul eaten by dead wizards!

wAeSv0H.jpg

SITH CRASH SITE
OSSUS WASTELAND
THE SCAR WORLDS

Junker Jonn Junker Jonn Lyssa Io Lyssa Io Aeshi Tillian Aeshi Tillian
iS2x8Wi.png
Captain Kyros was running out of time. Through his sliced network of labor camp scrap droids the wily duros had eyes and ears everywhere. Competitors in search of the Sith flagship's lost treasures already crawled through her wreckage. Whether or not the kubaz had a legitimate salvage claim that kyber belonged to whoever was bold enough to claim it.

"Forgot some equipment back on the freighter," Sly shouldered past Aeshi.

Something about the crash site seemed unsettling. It wasn't difficult to slip away from the scavengers and find his own way on board. Sly brandished a hidden blaster which twirled effortlessly in either hand. Like most burglars he could be acrobatic when the need arose. Starship graveyards like the one growing here on Ossus littered frontier worlds and reminded the smuggler of home.

"What...the...f-" he watched the murder droid wearing human skin eviscerate a crew of pirates lurking in the crashed hulk's shadow.

Any second thoughts fled and Kyros climbed up a torn bulkhead as fast as he could to evade discovery. Too far to turn back now. Against an expensive assassin unit like the one right outside he didn't fancy his odds. Suddenly a little dread didn't seem so bad.

"I ain't afraid of no ghosts."

The scav turned to Atlas, panicked. "Are they... Are they dead?" But no. He could hear faint voices beyond the rubble.​

"Remain calm," Atlas coughed through dust and debris.

Most of them were already across but the captain and a few others found themselves trapped behind shifting wreckage. He tried to clear a path between them but as soon as he moved a few pieces of scrap the collapsed bulkhead groaned in protest. Not even a Jedi could lift all this without bringing the entire ship down on all their heads. Drake cursed to himself.

"Expedition team, do you copy?" after a few seconds of com static he heard Kryze's voice.

"Drake is there a place we should meet up, or maybe a safeword we should yell if something does decide to pop up and say boo?"

"There should be a shuttle hangar near the bridge, we might be able to find a way in from-"

As if summoned by the Jedi an inhuman shriek echoed throughout the wrecked capital. Captain Drake turned back around to find himself confronted with whatever was left of the missing Ysanna shepherd. Dark symbols were carved into the tribal nomad's skin, but it was their face which transfixed him. What he could only describe as a spectral visage flickering and distorted seemed like it was trying to tear itself away from host flesh. It took him a few moments of horror to recognize the officer's cap and he realized whatever spectral entity had fused itself with this poor wandering native used to be a member of the Red Dragon's crew.

"Get behind me!" he shoved the petrified kubaz aside and raised his blaster.

His first stun bolt didn't even phase it. As the taken shepherd shrieked once more in either rage or torment it charged. Atlas fired again, then one more time before the nonlethal energy blasts finally brought the Ysanna down. He slowly turned to look at Jonn when similar wails echoed in the distance. Evidently more than one of the locals had been consumed by whatever ritual fallout was plaguing this ship.

"Run."

Last edited:

(Post Soundtrack: "Ain't No Devil" by Andrea Wasse)
FJp1uVB.png

Something had been bothering Jerek since the moment they stepped aboard the ship.

He didn't say it then. Part of him hadn't known what it was, dismissing it as the general foreboding and malaise he sensed around any darkside presence. Nor had he wanted to alarm the more skittish members of their team, including the skeptical Captain Drake, hoping the sensation would simply go away on its own. Except that this time, the nausea that clawed at his stomach grew worse as the team picked their way deeper into the ship. He found the particular odor amplified, too, creeping closer to the ship's vital systems.

When one of the team's droids, belonging to a pink-skinned Forcer that he recognized as Joza Perl Joza Perl 's daughter, careened out of the dark to cause a collapse of the ceiling, Jerek felt nearly relieved.

And then the darkness clawed back at his stomach and mind again, nurturing a dread that the youthful knight suspected had begun long before they entered the wreck. It had begun, Jerek realized, at the mutilated corpses of the Kirruk herd. All this time they seemed to be following an energy, a presence in the Force that rippled with the twisted patterns of the darkside.

Was this the evil that had killed the creatures outside? Was this the spirit that had engineered their division from their —thankfully, still living— teammates across a wall of impassible debris?

No.

What stepped before the remainder of their team was no disembodied phantasm of the darkside. It screamed something incomprehensible, something that spoke to notions beyond the mortal realm. They clawed up at his heart and his mind, invading his thoughts, worming their way toward his soul. The thing was inhuman, yet not entirely. Here and there, a bit of fabric or a patch of skin, marked the fiend as their missing Ysanna shepherd.

Until that moment, Jerek had been content to follow along where others led. He had left this world once as family and twice as a thief. Today, the man had wanted nothing more than to be an observer. To start his relationship over on this world, build back over his wounds while the planet healed from its own wounds. A new beginning for both of them.

One that was now threatened by the possessed entity standing in their path.

Jerek stepped forward. Captain Drake ordered them all back, but the long-haired Jedi did not heed it. Instead of a blaster, Jerek carried a lightsaber, though it remained on his belt and his hands at his side. He watched as the stun blasts did nothing to the fiend, and then brought his hands out in front of him.

"We're not here to hurt you." Jerek started, and then thought better of it. Some of them would hurt this ghost if it was possible. No, not a ghost, it was still the shepherd standing before him. The Jedi could sense the Ysanna man was still in there, crushed down beneath the darkside fiend, this skin of evil, that enveloped him. Jerek changed tactics, "We're not here to stand in your way."

He could feel the swarm within the shepherd's fiend. The swirling maw of hate and anger, turned and twisted and harnessed toward the evil goals of the Sith battleship. Bent towards destruction and chaos, once aimed at the Jedi, now those energies reached out to take any advantage it could.

Jerek knew it could not be sated. That had been the subject of many a discussion between he and Allya Vi'Dreya Allya Vi'Dreya when they were together. A child of the darkness, she knew more than most the inner desires of the darkside and the tenets of the Sith doctrines. She had taught Jerek as much as he asked, and more. Beyond mere philosophy, Allya taught him what to expect of his opponents in the darkside. Again and again, she challenged him to try different tactics to combat her native darkside techniques, not only physical, but also metaphysical and emotional. A darksider could not be defeated by a lightsaber alone, that was the greatest lesson Jerek learned.

Then he had faced a willing opponent, one who had desired to change. Now he faced an opponent whose desires were the only ideals it had left.

An opponent who seemed more interested in the rest of the team than him.

"Listen to me," the Jedi said more firmly. He tapped into the Force, making his presence noticable, setting its weight behind every word he spoke. "I know you came here with a purpose, what was that purpose? To destroy? To conquer? To prove your greatness?"

For a moment, Jerek wondered what the spirit was, who he actually faced. The ship's captain? A Sith warrior? It took more than a lightsaber, or a starship crash, to truly break the bonds of a Sith Master from his body. At least, so the Jedi hoped. He stood in front now, yet some part of him wished he had obeyed the command to run. A part of him that would be glad to simply blast the wreckage into rubble and sort the remnants from there. A part of him that felt the thirsting desire to relax with a glass of Diet Fizzyglug.

No, he was getting distracted.

Jerek took a breath, trying to find his center and draw his focus there. He needed to concentrate on the fiend and on its desires, to name them. And then, named, redirect them. Surely, if Master Starchaser were here, he would think Jerek's approach naïve. The Jedi Ace was well versed in the direct method, in simply blowing his opponents out of existence, he could have simply applied Force Light on the possessed shepherd. To use his power to drive the spirit from the Ysanna man, as long as Jerek had the power to match or overwhelm it. That was the risk he faced with the direct approach, but here he could not dodge or evade his foe. They were face to face, and so Jerek would meet the brunt of any counterattack head-on.

He relied, instead, on Allya's teaching. On Master Kortun's. To redirect instead of strike, to turn his opponent's energy into his own attack. Jerek stepped forward, letting his presence in the Force brush up against the malevolent spirit. Then he let it ebb, hoping to draw its attention and perhaps draw it away from the shepherd entirely.

"You can have that, all of it. The destruction, the conquest, the greatness." Jerek promised without promising, naming only what the darkside presence desired. He continued. "Just not here. The task is finished here, the war is over. Why waste your time on petty creatures and primitives? Everything you want can be found...in the stars. This ship won't rise again, but you can, reach for the stars and seek out what you desire there."

The fiend jerked as if Jerek had slapped it. Finally, slowly, it turned toward him. The man felt his freckled face pull into a small grin, coaxing the spirit further with the Force. He beckoned and pulled, ready with the techniques he had once practiced with his darksider ex-girlfriend. Jerek urged it under his breath, letting his hands curl slightly toward him while he whispered, "Come on, come on."

Jerek felt it before he saw it, lurching toward him. Still attached to the shepherd, to the Jedi's dismay, but with some promise now. He could feel the fiend's bonds weakening, detaching from the Ysanna man one small piece at a time. Jerek waited, waited until the spirit could no longer retreat to the safety of its hapless vessel, and then he struck.

His technique was not one written in textbooks or catalogued in the archives. It was something Jerek had first tried on Allya, a desperate response to her challenge, and honed it later with her help. Like breadcrumbs in the Force, Jerek laid down a path of irresistable pieces, pieces of himself that he set in the fiend's path and then out from him in a trajectory like that of a starship rocketing to orbit. He seeded them with a little light, both to tempt the fiend's desires and also to taint them. With luck, the fiend would follow the pieces, one by one, leading out of the shepherd and far from the wreck itself. Jerek flung the last one as far as he could, his breath ragged by the end of it, his broad shoulders slumped now by the effort it had taken from him.

The good news was that the breadcrumbs worked to draw the fiend's attention, and an exhausted Jerek delighted to see only a few tendrils still hanging onto the shepherd's form now.

The bad news was that his technique worked much better on a form with thoughts and desires. The disembodied spirit had no thought for self-preservation or any needs in the abstract beyond right now. It saw the pieces left by Jerek and followed them back to the source itself.

Him.

"NO!" An anguished cry escaped his lips as the beleaguered Jedi found himself faced with the insatiable desires of the darkside spirit head-on.

Starlin remained aware of Ishani approaching the junker crew to try and sell them her alchemized anti-ghost perfume, but most of his focus was diverted by the droid crashing into the wall and the ceiling’s subsequent collapse. Starlin was conveniently out of bounds and avoided getting crushed.

Then a darkside zombie (or perhaps a darkside spirit possessing the body of an unlucky local shepherd?) appeared and started harassing a blond dude near where Starlin was standing. Bizarrely, Blondie seemed to be trying to persuade the zombie to chill. With all the other stimuli around him, Starlin didn’t have a chance to give it too much thought.

At least, up until Blondie screamed as the evil ghost leapfrogged from the shepherd’s body into his. Er, well, that’s what it looked like to Starlin, who was already rushing into action. His lightsabers were out in a heartbeat, the shorter orange blade of his enchanted shoto extending as he slashed down at the shadow creeping toward the terrified Jerek Zenduu Jerek Zenduu .

The blade cut into the floor, leaving behind a molten gash in the metal, but the shadow seemed to have escaped him.

Okay, moving on to plan B...

Starlin faced Blondie, weapons at the ready, but didn’t strike at him. A faint glow emanated from his body, visible only out of the corner of one's eye; he was putting out raw energy that was as pure an expression of the Light Side of the Force as Starlin was capable of. Slowly and yet relentlessly, he advanced toward the ghost/demon/darkside thing, all set for an impromptu exorcism... though judging by the sound of more zombies approaching, it was going to have to be a group effort.

Lyssa Io

The Daughter of Blades
It was not long before Lyssa encountered an obstruction. Collapsed pipes barred her way.

She tossed her weapons carefully through the gaps as they were too heavy to move aside. Then...she simply walked through the pipes, her Nanites curving around the fallen debris while still maintaining her humanoid shape.

She retrieved all her weapons and proceeded forward, detecting snarls. Lyssa, not knowing the situation, was not immediately inclined towards a lethal solution, partly due to how carefully programmed she had been, and partly because, after Mother destroying Gihinnom, Lyssa was trying to improve her own judgement as to when lethality was preferable.

Lyssa deeply loved her Mother. But Lyssa didn't want to be exactly like her. Even Xiphos, ever determined to walk the walk as much as she talked the talk when it came to her children's independence, encouraged that Lyssa distinguish her actions from Xiphos's own, or what she would do in the same situation.

Lyssa spotted another possessed individual, not understanding what affected him or why. She did not kill him as he approached, snarling. He swiped at her, and her face only deformed a little from the impact.

"Hmmm..." Lyssa muttered clinically, evading the next blow very casually, putting the possessed man in a sleeper hold until he was out cold. She tied him up with some severed cables.

She heard more snarling. Saw more possessed. She was feeling curiosity, not having any real context for what was going on. But they were not designated targets. For all she knew it could be an illness--Mother often spoke of her strange powers as capable of causing such things.

Lyssa carefully placed her weapons on the floor next to her, then ran to the crowd of possessed.

As she had with the pirates outside, no killing or maiming blows were attempted. Everything was strictly non lethal, and Lyssa went out of her way to avoid breaking bones or crushing organs by accident...

The possessed were hurled back by throws, as a full on punch from her Nanite fist could kill, and even a mild blow could cause skull damage or brain injury. Lyssa was starting to appreciate just how lethal her design actually was--even Mother freely admitted (and so casually at that) that Lyssa's design was more than capable of killing her.

It was very sobering, knowing she had a much better than average chance of destroying her own Mother should they ever fight for real. That was how much Xiphos had prepped her daughter for success in life: Lyssa could surpass Xiphos physically and tactically.

Lyssa, as a result, had a sense of belonging most droids would never feel, a sense of fierce loyalty independent from her iron clad programming.

One by one, each affected person was subdued, then tied up by whatever she could find. She spotted a broken security terminal and let a silver drop of herself fall onto it, hacking it's systems with quantum level calculations and rerouting damaged systems to reactivate the terminal.

She hacked the security feeds, saw the commotion going on in one section and...

... Starlin Rand Starlin Rand

Mother wanted him dead, but by her, alone, personally. She didn't give a feth if her own children got Jacen Nimdok Jacen Nimdok or not, but she had emphatically stressed that Starlin was to be left to her, just like Syd Celsius, his first and arguably true Master.

Starlin would recognize her face, based off a comrade of Laertia's that got murdered by the Amalgam (And holy chit did that make for awkward chats at the family conferences).

Lyssa immediately morphed her face and body to that of a curvy, pink skinned Twi'lek woman in a blue catsuit. She didn't need to get recognized by him. Not now, not while she was ultimately on a mission of mercy this day.

Lyssa decided to do them all a favor and activated certain Force Fields in the way of the approaching hoarder. This way, it would take longer for them to reach the defenders and give them all more breathing room.

Lyssa then retrieved her Nanite sample, then her weapons, and the proceeded towards their direction to render assistance...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom