Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Staff Faction Propaganda and Advertisements Restriction

Jsc

Disney's Princess
More updates to come on what we're doing with the Factions section.

tumblr_ngbxx0rIAb1snhpyjo1_r1_500.gif

No rush.

As for why, I did a quick count. 3/4s of the recent blogs were ads/propaganda/faction news and such.

The actual blogs we were getting were drowned out, and it was becoming an arms race where factions felt required to push their content and profile to remain 'on the front page'.

So yes, this has been something we've been monitoring for a while, and a critical mass has been reached where it is needed.

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
Surely the ban could have waited until after whatever was supposed to come next was in place, or at least near enough on the horizon to give a clear answer as to what the future holds. I get they might not be to everyone's taste, but it's a little harsh to chuck the baby out with the bathwater. Little Susie never hurt anyone.

My assumption was the same as Errant, that a new box would be made. This... Tab thing, I'm not sure about. Just thought I'd throw my hat in. Before you could scroll down and glance at things currently fresh or trending. Now it's something to invest in and go investigate.

Propaganda is meant to be in your face, if it's not, it isn't doing its job. Being in an underground fight club where you have to go find it isn't very helpful to it by design

I eat my words, it seems the tab box hasn't incorporated the blogs as of yet. I will hold my tongue until I see what is done with the propaganda articles. My apologies for jumping to conclusions without inspecting.

Last edited:
Propaganda is meant to be in your face, if it's not, it isn't doing its job. Being in an underground fight club where you have to go find it isn't very helpful to it by design

Most on-site propaganda is from major factions, the same factions who already advertise via Discord. You may have one obscure faction article every two months or some number, which then gets pushed down by the big guys anyway. Don't get me wrong, the propaganda I've seen folks create is great, it's entertaining, but IC writings and OOC musings should take prominence in a place meant for, well, IC writings and OOC musings!

A place set aside just for people's faction images is fine. A sort of gallery for propaganda. Isn't that even more exciting, since you could compare propaganda from other factions all in one place?

Most on-site propaganda is from major factions, the same factions who already advertise via Discord. You may have one obscure faction article every two months or some number, which then gets pushed down by the big guys anyway. Don't get me wrong, the propaganda I've seen folks create is great, it's entertaining, but IC writings and OOC musings should take prominence in a place meant for, well, IC writings and OOC musings!

A place set aside just for people's faction images is fine. A sort of gallery for propaganda. Isn't that even more exciting, since you could compare propaganda from other factions all in one place?

I get that, if it's in another box separate from others there's absolutely no issue. I understand clutter and organization. But hidden propaganda doesn't catch the common, eye, only those that actively seek it.

Posting propaganda via the articles was a way for me to get people invested in what my faction was doing, especially since I was competing with a major faction and a Subfaction of a major faction. Yes, you could argue that posting would do that - since people here relish activity - but there's only so far that solo posting can take you in terms of growing a community.

I'm kinda saddened to see it be tossed to the wayside, rather than given its own tab - as per the new site update. But, as it gave me the desired result, in a way, so I won't be shedding any tears, lol.

Posting propaganda via the articles was a way for me to get people invested in what my faction was doing, especially since I was competing with a major faction and a Subfaction of a major faction. Yes, you could argue that posting would do that - since people here relish activity - but there's only so far that solo posting can take you in terms of growing a community.

I'm kinda saddened to see it be tossed to the wayside, rather than given its own tab - as per the new site update. But, as it gave me the desired result, in a way, so I won't be shedding any tears, lol.

This is significantly important, I think. Most people want the articles organized because they want to see story. But there's an equal amount of people on the other side that don't have ways of expressing their groups goals and rallying others. A thread specifically brought up by Tefka, and I quote "Where's all the big Minor Factions at?". Major Factions advertise themselves through a variety of ways. Technically, they advertise with every post their members make. That bar behind their name? You see a hundred of those and you think, wow, this faction is really active! But that's just an example. Minors don't have a way of telling people they exist, unless they dive into the Faction forum looking for a Faction, and then that has clutter about Faction Discussion, the numerous random created factions, and can also become a wildfire as actively recruiting and growing minor faction ads get lost.... which then makes an influx of ads.... or they don't technically exist to others

I want to quote a post made from Fatty Fatty that I think sums up my opinion on Propaganda's importance.

Minor Factions have zero visibility compared to the in-your-face nature of Major Factions, and in my experience the only successfully large minor factions are the ones that are attached to a Major Faction (you know, Subfactions), or minor factions that are gearing up to go Major.

Personally, I don't really see it as a bad thing, other than it makes running a successful Minor faction.... extremely time consuming and hard to run. In comparison, once a Major Faction is successfully set up, it can almost run itself once enough people are involved. Until interest fades, or changes, and the leadership doesn't adapt to it or put in extra effort to reinvigorate or just accepts that it is time for it die.

The reason why Minor Factions don't get big like Major Factions is because Major Factions generally absorb the best leaders, leaving few and far between those exceptional minor factions with great leaders and a good following behind them.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong, and there are hidden minor factions as large as contemporary Major Factions I've never heard of.

I don't necessarily like it but i do agree with it.

Leave the Faction promotion for it's own area and blogs in their own area. I think the separation of the two could be good.

Tefka Tefka is there any way to create a kind of "Showboard" kind of like we had with Member of the Month? Maybe it can rotate Faction Advert/propaganda pics? Kind of like a propaganda newsfeed? Each month a major faction can submit a propaganda pic or snippet to showcase there?

Just a thought.

I don't necessarily like it but i do agree with it.

Leave the Faction promotion for it's own area and blogs in their own area. I think the separation of the two could be good.

Tefka Tefka is there any way to create a kind of "Showboard" kind of like we had with Member of the Month? Maybe it can rotate Faction Advert/propaganda pics? Kind of like a propaganda newsfeed? Each month a major faction can submit a propaganda pic or snippet to showcase there?

Just a thought.

It be really cool to see a rotating pic every time you reload the page. Maybe major factions can submit a few to showcase? Keep it semi-fresh.

tenor.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom