Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rules Update Age of Chaos - Annihilation

@Darth Avernus said:
I for one think this is amazing.

I feel as if most of the naysaying here can be chalked up to misinterpretation of the rules or overattachment to fanfiction.

If I had a planet sub, I'd be just absolutely FIENDIN for someone to annihilate it.

Nothing lasts forever or should be expected to. This is the first thing out of Chaos that makes it look like consequences are actually tangible and not nebulous or otherwise irrelevant.

Gold star for everyone on the staff team who put this together.
I would vote for this man as Kwisatz Haderach

To agree with Avernus, it's vexed me to no small amount that people on Chaos downplay, hardwave, minimize, or ignore consequences entirely. It takes away from the experience.

If someone wants to play in their bubble, codex sub a planet and stay there. That's why the rule exists as it does. Seems like a fair trade to me.

¯\(ツ)

stop-my-penis-ezulzv.jpg

Okay my two cents beyond my want to give every aspect of the game rules maximum definition for the sake of no arguments later:

Anyonr remember Telos? that planet Malek bombed until all lofe was gone? Remember how its not dead anymore? Yeah rebuilding planets is a thing in this timeline's canon.

Not to mention Alderaan isnt broken anynore. and possibly Corellia from the whole breaking in two stunt it pulled in chaos canon.

My point is rebuilding planets is time consuming, difficult, and a massive undertaking... but entirely possible. You wanna acknowledge that the planet got an astroid yeeted at it so hard it split apart but still write on it later? Rebuild the dang thing in a thread or something. I'm more than willing to imagine thats possible if outright ignoring it is also allowed.

The consequence is that the map changes forever, and if you acknowledge the planet had to be rebuilt that'd be written into it forever at that point. please staff, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about rebuilding planets for story purposes and not the map game itself, but I find it at least seems more than a little possible.

would certainly be an interresting story about rebuilding a planet.

Ariel Yvarro

A
I wouldn't mind seeing a Rebuilding as a way to balance this and bring planets back to the map, and not just sub the custom planet/canon planet template. Because otherwise, it might as well just take the air out of this.

I'm not sure I like it either. I've read pretty much all the comments here, and I agree that annihilation threads dont really impact roleplaying on the planet. But to have a planet removed from the map could have secular consequences. Specially the less known planets in canon. From what I have seen, most planets develop as a direct result from just being on the map. Forts, Bases, invasions and dominions... They all have added their own history. [albiet a history that can be ignored of course] I've seen materials, technologies, weapons, trade routes, companies and resources all tied to specific planets. And a breakdown on that planet could ruin or put an end to that.

I dont know how people view the map. But I see it as chaos canon. If you tried to use a weapon that is exclusive to a planet and it has been destroyed, could members contest the validation of the weapon, or any material for that matter? Does common materials become rare? For those who do roleplay on the map, will they continue to let their members roleplay on the planet after it has been destroyed?

Perhaps it can be easily dismissed that a planet destroyed on the map doesnt really matter. But there is a unique feeling I get seeing one of my character's homeworld [which is canon] on the map. I asked for it to be there, and dug deep in the wookie just to see if I could find it location. And when it was added, it made me feel a sort of validation to the species I primarily play as. And I wanted to roleplay with major factions on the world. But if it is gone, would I get anyone to roleplay with me, or would they argue the planet no longer exists? I rather enjoy playing as a character who can proudly say where their home is. But if a major faction member refuses to acknowledge it, on the basis of annihilation threads, and doesnt really want to simply ignore it, I feel it would start an argument. Plus the confusion of being asked to roleplay on a destroyed world, where one believes in chaos canon and the other doesnt.

To the few of us. If we see the worlds we cherish disappear from the map, we'd be a little more than disappointed. For me, being on the map, and inside a major faction's borders, gives justification as to why I join the faction. My roleplay style revolves around the planet, its weird I know, but its how I chose to go about it on the board. After the work I did, researching its location, just so I could ask for it to be added.... I would be devastated, disappointed... maybe feeling like my goals would never be achieved, if the planet disappears from the map.

I do not know how long these annihilation rules will be in place. But I dread to see a map where planets are steadily disappearing, making the map more barren with each month. Sure I guess we could ignore it. But what drove me to this site was the custom made map anyway. So to me its more of a... Well what I feel anyway is that the one thing that I am interested in will become less interesting with less planets around. It makes me more sad than anything. Cause once a planet is removed from the map, there will be no more invasions for it, no more dominions, less attention from those who play the map game. And that... if it happens to a world I like... that would make me sad.

I do not know how long these annihilation rules will be in place. But I dread to see a map where planets are steadily disappearing, making the map more barren with each month. Sure I guess we could ignore it. But what drove me to this site was the custom made map anyway. So to me its more of a... Well what I feel anyway is that the one thing that I am interested in will become less interesting with less planets around. It makes me more sad than anything. Cause once a planet is removed from the map, there will be no more invasions for it, no more dominions, less attention from those who play the map game. And that... if it happens to a world I like... that would make me sad.

Just make new custom planets, LOL.

Like seriously. I'm sure eventually the Codex will be shimmied along to get in line with Annihilation rules. And say, the Core/Mid Rim are particularly effected? Allow for folks to sub new planets in the interim. It doesn't have to be barren, and if it does become so, and people complain? They only have themselves to blame.

Just make new custom planets, LOL.

Like seriously. I'm sure eventually the Codex will be shimmied along to get in line with Annihilation rules. And say, the Core/Mid Rim are particularly effected? Allow for folks to sub new planets in the interim. It doesn't have to be barren, and if it does become so, and people complain? They only have themselves to blame.
I don't think this is the right approach either. Just sub a planet? Planet's build lore for a character and vice versa. If this is the go-to, the point is being missed. Just sub something new isn't the answer to everything. And for MiloXyunto MiloXyunto , he's already said his character, in particular, is tied to the planet and has already be established that way. Can't really just pull a "just kidding" card like that and keep the continuity of the character you've built and developed. Similarly to a world you've built up and developed just because a Major decides they want to be trigger happy and blow it up because they can.

I don't think this is the right approach either. Just sub a planet? Planet's build lore for a character and vice versa. If this is the go-to, the point is being missed. Just sub something new isn't the answer to everything. And for MiloXyunto MiloXyunto , he's already said his character, in particular, is tied to the planet and has already be established that way. Can't really just pull a "just kidding" card like that and keep the continuity of the character you've built and developed. Similarly to a world you've built up and developed just because a Major decides they want to be trigger happy and blow it up because they can.

Well that's the way the games gonna be played. I think people are catastrophising it greatly. I don't think some randos niche homeworld will be blown up unless it's a big military target. See Geonosis, Prefsbelt IV, Byss and many others. But even so, doesn't that destruction add to a characters story? They're last of the WhateverplanetIcomefrom. It's good for some interesting character development. If your character is uber tied to a planet, and then that planet is destroyed, and you can't go past that attachment on an OOC level? That's on you as a writer. Not on anyone else.

Honestly, I think if you're gonna base your entire lore on a single planet, and you ask kindly enough 9/10 people would be alright with keeping you around. I don't imagine a scenario where characters are just blowing up stuff willy nilly. It's gonna be apart of longer term wars. Like say the GA-FO war of a few years back, or potentially the TSE-NIO conflict. If you think that there's gonna be a mass destruction of planets, I dare say you're deluded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom