Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rules Update Age of Chaos - Annihilation

Time to infiltrate the First Order. Only for the noodles though Ariel Yvarro

I'm a frequent customer Rynn Vizsla Rynn Vizsla - so frequent they know my name and order. Also where I take dates for the first time

giphy.gif

Then you have to ask the question: What did they do to the Major Faction whose blowing up a planet? Way I see it, as with most things on the map game, it's gonna be used by major factions as a tool for further activity, or as a potential cudgel against its enemies on either an IC or OOC level. So if your small group like that, than maybe don't piss off a major?
So would this include them just existing on the planet that happens to be a target. Minors aren’t on the map so there’s a massive chance that they wouldn’t know/care. And honestly, rp is supposed to be cooperative, not win or lose. I honestly hate that kinda mindset and that all this Annihilate idea’s gonna create.

Edit: This is Kalic Daws. Forgot to change profiles.

This is going to cause problems for writers.

Having the option to "ignore" an annihilation sort of "villifies" the writer who ignores it, painting then out as the one who won't come to the table.

I don't feel safe writing on a board where this level of destruction is okay (not like personally, but I mean anything I write or create here). I do not believe that this can be policed well enough to make it fair for every writer involved, and I think that the stress of trying is going to negatively affect the staff, perhaps even to the point of other parts of the board suffering.

This is powercreep on a whole new level. I don't think it's wise

It's not what I'm suggesting, it's what I'm confirming. That has always been the case with this site. Nowhere does it say you must RP in accordance with the map data. This is nothing new, and nothing born of Annihilation threads. Nowhere in your threads do you ever need to acknowledge when it takes place. The only time it 'matters' is when the map is involved.
So in this case, just for clarification's sake, why is a custom planet given the extra consideration? Just trying to better understand

So would this include them just existing on the planet that happens to be a target. Minors aren’t on the map so there’s a massive chance that they wouldn’t know/care. And honestly, rp is supposed to be cooperative, not win or lose. I honestly hate that kinda mindset and that all this Annihilate idea’s gonna create.

Edit: This is Kalic Daws. Forgot to change profiles.

Well they should make a case for why they shouldn't be blown up then. If a minor hypothetically exists on a planet run by a major another major is at war with, they should then make a choice. Either band along with the fellas who run the joint. And act in its defence. Or they should make a case ICly and OOCly for why they should be spared. Do a bit of Benedict Arnold-ing, and try to convince the major that their little slice of paradise is worth the effort of not blowing up entirely.

But as for the hypothetical random planet a major wants to blow up? 9/10 that'll be for narrative reasons. Or if some group of minors have pissed them off. I'd like to think most of the major factions on this board are run by good blokes who would be open enough to not want to spite the little guy. So I think if a minor faction is super attached to a world, most majors would either be indifferent or potentially accommodating. It's only if you've somehow spited them on the OOC, I predict any unfortunateness.

So in this case, just for clarification's sake, why is a custom planet given the extra consideration? Just trying to better understand

It is a consideration because their custom planet is directly on the map, which they chose to have added. Thus, it is effected by the results of the thread. Not all (in fact, most) custom planets are not on the map and are therefore immune by default to annihilation threads.

It is a consideration because their custom planet is directly on the map, which they chose to have added. Thus, it is effected by the results of the thread. Not all (in fact, most) custom planets are not on the map and are therefore immune by default to annihilation threads.

So if the determination is this, then why not make the rule the same for all planets on the Map? I just feel like with this level of potential impact that it should be an "all or none." If you need permission from the creator of a world to destroy that planet, then why not need permission from the primary writer base of any planet (outside of Major Faction influence cloud) to destroy said planet? Or nix the needed permission to destroy created planets?

I strongly feel like this is ultimately going to be a very negative play for the site and push a number of writers away.

Luca Donskoi Luca Donskoi

Honestly, letting a small fraction of the community, defined as a 'primary writerbase' (how would we even define this?), definitively decide the narrative of a planet is extremely limiting for all members, in any aspect, not just annihilations. The current approach of complete fluidity and non-definiteness of 'community canon' is a far more inclusive and sustainable approach which covers all cases of drastic changes to a planet with a simple "Acknowledge what works for you" and I don't see how this thread type changes anything about that.

Honestly, letting a small fraction of the community, defined as a 'primary writerbase' (how would we even define this?), definitively decide the narrative of a planet is extremely limiting for all members, in any aspect, not just annihilations. The current approach of complete fluidity and non-definiteness of 'community canon' is a far more inclusive and sustainable approach which covers all cases of drastic changes to a planet with a simple "Acknowledge what works for you" and I don't see how this thread type changes anything about that.
Forgive me, I think I misworded that there. What I had intended with that statement was just for special cases where there is a lot of lore and story built around a place for an extended period of time. And that is something that is easy to see as there would be threads and subs (both codex and factory) to support their claim that they have done such on a planet. Atrisia (I know this from my time as a FJ and RPJ before) has a number of subs and lots of threads surrounding the planet and it's commonly from a single member.

I'm not suggesting to overturn; i like the potential for story this brings. I'm just asking that consideration be given to writers who have spent so much time developing planets with subs and threads instead of a faction just being all let me blow something up without regard to the work that's been put into it. That's what I've been trying to get at.

If that's not going to be the case, then I don't believe that custom planets on the map should have the special consideration they do then. And should be subject to the same as canon planets.

Last edited:

All that work isn't voided by the Annihilation of a planet, though. Writers are perfectly free to continue writing the planet like they always have, either ignoring the map's development (acknowledge what you want) or setting their stories before its destruction (fluid timeline). The latter even makes the annihilation thread have a lot more impact, as it just adds to the tragedy of it all. At no point does a writer have to fret for their creations, as far as I'm aware. They're always free to use what they want. No one can enforce their narrative over someone else's unless it's a faction thread in a different faction's territory, to which there are many other alternatives.

It's fair that the extra consideration for custom planets is a bit weird given the optionality of these threads, I agree on you on that one.

Visanj T'shkali Visanj T'shkali

How? Why? It's optional and has virtually no impact on your ability to write the stories you want within chaos' ruleset. It was technically already a possibility in the rules.

I for one think this is amazing.

I feel as if most of the naysaying here can be chalked up to misinterpretation of the rules or overattachment to fanfiction.

If I had a planet sub, I'd be just absolutely FIENDIN for someone to annihilate it.

Nothing lasts forever or should be expected to. This is the first thing out of Chaos that makes it look like consequences are actually tangible and not nebulous or otherwise irrelevant.

Gold star for everyone on the staff team who put this together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom