Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Staff Second Chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
[member="Tefka"]

The submissions have never been second chanced, so there would be no overturning of a decision. Infact, the factory administrator wasn't actually involved in either denial, since the follow up was done by yourself. Mind you, you yourself told me to wait to second chance them for that very reason, so this is why it has taken so long.

Regardless, if a second chance isn't being considered despite no prior second chance being filed, would resubbing them as separate entities work, or still be looked down upon?

Would you mind taking a look at this application I had archived? It's the second part of the First Order's Death Trooper development, in my view the previous judge consciously or unconsciously dismissed many of the exploitable weaknesses and numerical restrictions that were included in the profile for the sake of not just PvP balance but to emphasize the lore importance, value, cost and limited deployment of the augmentations as represented by assigning a discrete number on the sum of player characters and approved profile non-player characters who can possibly be included under the submission.

[member="Jamie Pyne"] [member="Tefka"]

[member="Kyli DT-6767"], for the future, you can address also future requests to myself (the current Factory Administrator) and/or [member="Jairus Starvald"], the roleplay judge assigned to the Factory.

I will look into this and give an answer in the next day or so.

[member="Kyli DT-6767"], I can move this from the archive back to the technology forum if you'd like for it to be eventually approved.

I should mention that right now, with the current iteration of the Factory, that unless a submission explicitly breaks a board rule, Factory Staff cannot deny it, even if they feel like it's unbalanced. What our Factory Judges currently do is provide nonbinding advice when it comes to submissions.

In other words, you do not have to follow this last judge's advice in order to get this approved, but I often recommend that you do follow their advice. However, it is more likely to be reported if you do not follow their advice. If that happens, the sub gets pulled back to the old judging process with mandatory edits and the like. If this happens enough times as a submitter, you run the risk of getting a temporary and eventually permanent ban from the Factory.

As a personal opinion on the sub, while I do not think that the base concept is an issue, I do think it could use some work with the balancing and some wording within the submission itself. That's my personal recommendation though, and even as Factory Administrator, that's an entirely nonbinding suggestion.

Let me know what you'd like to do next or if you have any other questions.

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/142169-giant-rubber-duck-cannon/#entry1921813

It was denied, as being not fit for star wars. I would then have to argue that the functionality of it does. It is very similar to most hyper velocity cannons, it has an explosive core, with a substance packed in for greater effect. The only thing not star wars about it, is the aesthetics of it. However, even that can be argued as a demoralization factor and psychological warfare. What would a Mandalorian do, upon seeing a giant rubber duck being shot at their ship? Also, we see in the factory that Aesthetic choices are often left to the digression of the player. Outfits, saber styles, and a large number of ships, droids, vehicles, and even species, that are approved, do not fit in with what we see as Star Wars. This is because, we all grasp that the Aesthetics of something can be changed. They do not need to fit a singular pattern, so long as the function of it, can exist in star wars. And it can in this case. We have weapons that fire giant asteroids, super lasers, bulky bomb droppers and the like. This idea, while cumbersome, and it should be reflected as such, isn't outside the realm of possible.

If I had left it as a giant rubber duck and nothing more, and had extreme damage ratings on it, it should be denied. However, I created something that does in fact work. Now, it's silly. True. But so is subbing a sith alchemical printer. Or many of the other things that go through here. As well as in star wars itself, things don't always make sense. I would take you to the Amphistaff. It makes no sense. It shouldn't be able to block a lightsaber, it shouldn't be able to cut through things at all, and yet it can, because a writer decided it could. It, and the entirety of the Yuzzhan Vong go against everything that had ever been taught about the star wars universe. But we no longer question that.

Now, I know it is silly. But it is not silly for nothing. It's silly because IC it should be silly. It was designed by someone who has been allowed to create weird things, and is a young girl. Her boyfriend told her she couldn't do it, but I believe, if you read the submission, it's a weapon that makes sense, even if its ridiculous. But ducks, and rubber exists. There are even bath toys. And all weaponizes portions of it, are either canon, or approved technologies here, as it shows in the submission.

So from a realistic standpoint, all inspiration for this should in fact exist. I do not believe, an IC action, or choice, should be denied OOC, for purely aesthetic reasons, just because it doesn't fit into a grand viewpoint of this is how things should look or be. It functions like something in Star Wars. It's not unrealistic to then think someone could put a ridiculous paint job on something, or cover it in a different material to make it look in a different way.

Long story short, functionality it is a weapon. It just happened to be packaged differently, but even then, in a realistic way that could be done given the technology, and the mindsets of the galaxy in Star Wars. If a hutt can pull off THIS look, why is it so unreasonable to think, this could work too, if designed by the right person? I do not believe it breaks any board rules. Thank you for your time.

[member="Gir Quee"]

[member="Allya Vi'Dreya"], I appreciate you taking the time to explain the rationale for your submission.

I find that light-hearted submissions like these are hard to judge when it comes to the rule of "All submissions need to conform to the general idea of Star Wars" found in the General Factory Rules. On one hand, I would like to continue to keep the Factory to be relatively open to allow people to fully use their creativity. On the other hand, we do have this rule in place so that we keep the flavor of the board as being distinctively Star Wars.

As you have pointed out, this submission is entirely within the realm of possibility in terms of its capability, but I think that the combination of its capabilities as well as its distinct aesthetics does in fact violate the "All submissions need to conform to the general idea of Star Wars" rule. This submission will stay denied.

With that said, I think that it's entirely possible to achieve the practical effects of the Giant Rubber Duck Cannon, or to make a submission that launches harmless Giant Rubber Ducks as a gag. I would recommend focusing on only one of these features of the Giant Rubber Duck Cannon in the future.

[member="Kaine Australis"], I can see possible ways to make that sub acceptable, but I think that this would require such significant changes that I'm not sure if it will fit with what you're looking to do with it. It would probably have to be shorter ranged, and not really teleportation either.

Depending on what you'd like, I can move it back for edits or we can keep it archived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom