Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One-Liner Dominions

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Really? I mean, I know you're both (pubs and sith) desperate to one-up each other in a territory race (because you don't have the guts to fight :p (jk)). But, posts (at least on my resolution) that are on average no greater than two to three lines?

This. Is. Depressing.

I just straight out stopped keeping up with them. It's not about the destination, it's about the journey. You shouldn't roleplay to win, you should roleplay to find the thrill of competing.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
I'm not the person doing those things, Aynea - the character - is. It's silly to relate a person to their character. That said, I sense you are saying that because you were in one of those threads. It's ironic because, no offense intended at all, it kind of confirms that you know it's true, and know everyone could have done better.
:p
As for character compass, well, that's a whole different story. xD

Elani Zambrano said:
..gonna go ahead and not take advice from the person marrying & pregnant by Circe.. just saiyan.
THe lords of the fringe did a dominion with everybody doing one liners. We got it done in less than 17 hours, but we got chewed out by Tef because we use only one liners. Don't just take it from the CHARACTER who is IC impregnate. NOT the WRITER who is Prego. Please refrain from using IC like conduct on a OOC forum.

Elani Zambrano said:
..gonna go ahead and not take advice from the person marrying & pregnant by Circe..

just saiyan.
whut
just another IC reason for Ven to be pissed at Circe
THE SPLITTING OF THE PERSONALITIES IS UPON US!

But I agree with Ayna. Speed-running Dominions can be fun, but throwing out one to two line posts?
God, at least put some effort into it. I don't mean to sound like a queen, but it does make me sad to see people that desperate.
At least write a paragraph. Doesn't even have to be that long of one.
Just write something decent out. You should be able to get a short paragraph out in less then a minute if you try. And it can still be a good paragraph! Believe it or not.

And on another note: IC and OOC are two very, very different things.
IC Ven loves Circe (sort of), and willingly had her kid.
OOC? OOC I realize that it seems strange, and that Ven might not have thought things through enough.
Does that make me stupid? Hell no.
IT'S THE CHARACTER DOING IT, NOT THE WRITER.

Rant over.
*cue dramatic exit*

We all have our preferences I guess.
Personally I don't like speed RPs, especially Dominions (though I've probably made that very, very clear already).
Not just because they tend to have shorter posts, but because people do often get lost in the crowd, ignored, or brushed aside. So much happens so quickly that no one has time to react to everything.
*shrugs*
I still think that Dominions can be knocked out quickly, but still have decent, well-written, and appropriate length posts.
But that's just my opinion.
And it's past midnight here. Not the best time for a serious discussion.

@[member="Daella Apparine"]

PM me before you name drop and establish my stance on an issue before I even show up. You know I hate that.

@[member="Ayña Kottos"]

If you have an issue with a thread, report it. If this thread is just to discuss disappointment and personal opinion, perhaps try and change the culture of SWRP, that's cool too and totes viable.

@[member="Elani Zambrano"]

C'mon bro. You're better than that.

Ven'Rain Sekairo said:
We all have our preferences I guess. Personally I don't like speed RPs, especially Dominions (though I've probably made that very, very clear already). Not just because they tend to have shorter posts, but because people do often get lost in the crowd, ignored, or brushed aside. So much happens so quickly that no one has time to react to everything. *shrugs* I still think that Dominions can be knocked out quickly, but still have decent, well-written, and appropriate length posts. But that's just my opinion. And it's past midnight here. Not the best time for a serious discussion.
agreed on all accounts.
Lilith Mae Lancaster said:
Oneliners go againt RP ideals... Not that I am going to covince anyone to change, but...
A while back someone did a thing about posting the right way, and they said that sometimes all you need is one line, but for this, no. You need more than one line for every post in a Dominion, invasion, or dev thread IMO.

You are aware that RPing began in chat rooms, correct? Which means a lot of one liners back then and no one snubbed at that. Forums merely give the freedom to RPing in a number of different ways. This is why statements like "one liners go against RP ideals" and "appropriate length posts" don't really have any meaning. RP ideals? RPing is about playing a role in a story. Not pretending to be professional writers. If one is playing a role and telling a story then they are RPing. Maybe not how you ideally would like it, but not all of them. And appropriate length is very subjective.

The reality is this. The Republic's dominion actually follows and ongoing story. From beginning to end it works. While it was absurd in many regards, it was not as slapstick nonsense as many others that have existed.

In the end what is RPing about? Having fun. I can safely say that everyone in the Republic's dominion had fun. Except maybe Tracyn because he got left in the dust, but for that we apologize but appreciate him.

Staff has overturned dominions in the past for general lack of effort. But speed threads can be fun from time to time. That's where I stand on the issue. This is a role-playing website, we're not all inspiring to write the next Tom Sawyer.

And not every thread has to be a Charles Dickens novel. If a faction is active enough to do a speed rp, as long as they show some effort, nobody's going to really care... Except for other Major Faction Owners, that is.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
I'm not saying that one-liners in general are a problem. I just think it's very hard to establish "quality posts" with but a few short lines of writing.

It was also kind of obvious that it wasn't done in fun, it was done because... well, Sith vs Republic.

A while back someone did a thing about posting the right way, and they said that sometimes all you need is one line, but for this, no. You need more than one line for every post in a Dominion, invasion, or dev thread IMO
You can't use absolutes and then drop IMO. Cause I can safely say without a shred of doubt that the posts in the Republic Dominion (which were actually of fairly varied lengths if one were to actually read it) that each post was an appropriate length. Each post served a point. Pushed action forward. Carried decent reactions to one another. It told a story from beginning to end. Read it and you'll see that you. You may even get a good laugh out of it.

So before you judge a thread based upon the the length of its posts, consider reading it. Perhaps the brevity simply allows the thread to move faster. The thread reads fast because it is an action thread. It does not sit for a long time in any moment waiting, the action flows. Just like some prefer a plodding artistic movie, others prefer a good blockbuster action flick. Then there are those of us who enjoy them all in their appropriate place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom