Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One-Liner Dominions

The other thing that is odd is that many of you appear to be acting like the writers in the dominion don't do anything but one liners. If they did maybe you could be critical of them, but they frequently write rather splendid posts. They just chose to do so in a different form.

I can safely say that the chief motive of the Republic's dominion was 1) to have fun. After that it was that we wanted to get the thread done quickly. I'll say right now it was a stepping stone, but despite that we did not go into it without a desire to have fun. I have seen people do that before. It comes out poorly. We were never in a competition with Circe. In no way would the Sith's dominion effect us (not the same planet) so it could hold no bearing over the Republic's dominion.

However, something can be said for minimalism. Show don't tell. While I'll admit the post I'm going to use as an example is very minimal it serves my point well. In a post I wrote as another character all I added was that he fell to the ground bowing to a powerful master. I did not go into descriptions about his thoughts, or the amount of devotion. At some point that would have been droning and redundant. I expressed all that detail in the simplest form but just mentioning the bow. Ya'll should look up Ernest Hemingway. While I do not profess to be as good as him, he had a writing philosophy that essentially came down to telling the story in the simplest way possible. He truly personified a show don't tell mentality.

Selena Halcyon said:
However, something can be said for minimalism. Show don't tell. While I'll admit the post I'm going to use as an example is very minimal it serves my point well. In a post I wrote as another character all I added was that he fell to the ground bowing to a powerful master. I did not go into descriptions about his thoughts, or the amount of devotion. At some point that would have been droning and redundant. I expressed all that detail in the simplest form but just mentioning the bow. Ya'll should look up Ernest Hemingway. While I do not profess to be as good as him, he had a writing philosophy that essentially came down to telling the story in the simplest way possible. He truly personified a show don't tell mentality.
"All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know." - Ernest Hemingway

Fantastic writer; it was a shame how he went >.> I really think he went insane during the last few years with everything going on.

Anyway, back to topic. This is why I don't have anything against writing only one line. If you pull it off right, that's all you need. I, however, don't have that much skill, so I do with what I can.

Tefka said:
Having everyone be in the thread equally requires that they all put in an equal amount of effort.

A noble goal, but... Good luck, lol.
Very true, sad, but true.

Tegaea Alcori said:
There's your problem. We need to stamp out this insidious desire....
I-volunteer-as-tribute.gif

The level of butthurt in this thread, especially in the first two pages of back and forth, is pretty disappointing. Detach yourself emotionally from what other people are doing and just enjoy what you do here. Establishing deep srs levels of butthurt does no one any good.

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
*Starts to write a rage-induced angsty response*

Yeah, nevermind. Thing is, like a lot of people have said before me, everyone has their own way of doing stuff. Personally? I don't like speed-dominions, because I like to take the time writing my posts. But hey, people will do what people want to do. So let's just have some fething fun and respect the preferences of the individual.

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
Jared Ovmar said:
*Starts to write a rage-induced angsty response*

Yeah, nevermind. Thing is, like a lot of people have said before me, everyone has their own way of doing stuff. Personally? I don't like speed-dominions, because I like to take the time writing my posts. But hey, people will do what people want to do. So let's just have some fething fun and respect the preferences of the individual.
the forgettable guy is right and besides a good speed dominion is rarely done. Selena and Daella got a great one but not since Metalorn when Adam organized the sith to blitz spencer and one or two other rogues has there been a good story to it.

This is very true. I'm sure the working class and dirt poor farmers appreciated having a capital ship crash down onto their planet. With something that large it wouldn't all be broken up,possibly killing those on the ground. Theoretically this could turn a small band a people back into the warlords arms due to a matter of perspective as Kaine mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom