Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFUs: Starting vs Learning Lightsabers

I don't use lightsabers (Not Cool enough for me), but Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing the rule gone. How many NFU's would the rule even apply to that don't have access to a Padawan to give them the basics. How many NFU Writers don't have a Padawan Alt that could do it.

Animus Malgus said:
NFU's Can be masters at lightsabers styles.
Why would you want to as an NFU? Most Lightsaber styles (All of the Classic) are based around supplementing the use of the Force, something you don't have.

The training is based around the use of a weightless blade over weighted blade which is incredibly different. A sword vs the lightest dowel I can imagine would have different movements and reactions in combat.

If you want a Laser Sword (It is star wars after all) just get your Padawan or Knight buddy to hook you up.

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
Those are still bad for your health, and some leave residue in your lungs. The morale of the story being, don't trade one evil master for another. ;)
I'm trading near certainty of cancer for something that all reputable research shows to be a better alternative by far. Sure, nicotine isn't good for you, but neither is caffeine.

Which is actually a pretty decent metaphor for the current situation. Yes, letting normals get their hands on laser swords is maybe not the best idea. But restricting them entirely, knowing that there are precious few Force users who would go through the trouble of training a peasant to use one, makes the prospect of writing a normal less appealing in the first place. The deck is already stacked against non Force users. What's the trouble in throwing them a few face cards, when the Force users get all the aces to begin with?

I believe there's a simple way to fix this.

Yes. Being a Force User gives you a much easier time when using a lightsaber. And yes, the forms are made to assist and sometimes even amplify the Force in a fight.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that NFUs can't learn to use one properly, as many have already stated.

So, I propose a new rule:

An NFU can have a lightsaber if they so desire. But, before they can jump into campaigns or skirmishes or duels or anything having to do with wielding it, they must first have a few training threads with a Master/Knight, like any other FU does when they're training.

Now, if you make a bio that clearly states that your new NFU character has gone through years of difficult and back-breaking training in order to properly wield their lightsaber, that's one thing. But if you just throw together something like "So-and-so had a Jedi friend that died and So-and-so took their lightsaber and knew how to use it IMMEDIATELY", that should be outright banned.

You can have lightsabers. But only if you know or are actually learning how to use one.

SARI said:
An NFU can have a lightsaber if they so desire. But, before they can jump into campaigns or skirmishes or duels or anything having to do with wielding it, they must first have a few training threads with a Master/Knight, like any other FU does when they're training.
That is exactly what is in place now.

Also, no, acolytes & padawans do not need to do training threads prior to entering a skirmish or invasion, or any thread.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
I don't understand how that would be any different than what is in place now. o.o In fact, that entire statement pretty much nullifies the entire point of this thread. xD

It makes sense that a NFU wouldn't be able to start with a lightsaber (since they can't produce one), and in neither incarnation of the rule are they prohibited from acquiring one. It really is a debate over semantics after all.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Tefka said:
I will only delete this rule if the community votes we go back to mandatory training threads by a force user for NFU's to be able to utilize lightsabers.
If you're happy to have the Staff enforcing these types of opinions about the genre, then so be it. Personally I've never seen or witnessed the abuse that this rule is supposed to protect us from. I've seen FU dragons get abused, I've seen superweapons get abused, and I've seen hybrid breeding of racial traits get abused. Sure. Those were all real things. They happened. We moved against them. But, if you think this "NFUs starting with lightsaber proficiency" is a real concern. Fair enough. I won't waste any more time with it.

Jay Scott Clark said:
If you're happy to have the Staff enforcing these types of opinions about the genre, then so be it.
I am, because these opinions have understandable justification. IC, it just makes sense.

Jay Scott Clark said:
Personally I've never seen or witnessed the abuse that this rule is supposed to protect us from.
'cause this one's not aimed at protecting you.

On a logical scale, the only learning difficulty is that you're wielding a weapon with no weight in the blade.

Your Force ability shouldn't technically matter. It's a bit silly to say that NFU's require X to use this weapon when Apprentices/Acolytes can.

From the wookiee

However, in the hands of an expert of the Force, the lightsaber was a weapon to be greatly respected and feared. To wield a lightsaber was to demonstrate incredible skill and confidence, as well as masterful dexterity and attunement to the Force.

You won't find any master duelist apprentices or padawans that will be taken seriously, but they're being rudimentally trained in the weapon's use by seasoned FU's. Why not require the same of NFUs?

Kiber Dorn said:
[member="Sarge Potteiger"]

But why?
You can't master a lightsaber without the force. You can be really good at it, like one would with a sword in the real world, maybe, but they would never, ever, match a force user without serious cybernetics or special species senses.

Not without years and years and years of training and practice, and experience. It is the addition of the ability to see, hear, sense, and slightly foresee your own actions and the actions around you simultaneously that make mastery possible.

But this literally told me nothing. Every single weapon in our real world needs dexterity or mastery to weild. Nobody picks up a claymore or an M16 knowing what to do without training if you dig me? This isn't aggressive, it's just, if we have this standard for one weapon, why not others?

The only technicality that I previously noted was the fact that you had to master a weapon that held no weight in the blade. This is on a technical logical standpoint (absent of magical crystal tuning).

Would you say then, that one could submit a weapon completely similar to the lightsaber in concept without the magical crystal bullkark to the exact same effect?

(I'm not a proud duellist, or even a person that cares about winning, this is just curiosity for a rule that does seem out-dated.)

[member="Sarge Potteiger"] [member="Lily Kirsche Kuhn"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom