Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFUs: Starting vs Learning Lightsabers

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Star Wars: The Old Republic is a video game--no, scratch that, not just any game, an MMORPG game. I'm beside myself anyone could compare that to the heart of Star Wars. Jay, you of all people know better. :eek: I'm almost taken to believing that post was intended to be satiric, in which case well-played.

I can tell you right now how many lightsabers are in the Approved Technology in fact! I'm so glad you made that point. 129 to be exact. I'm the one who made the list in the Factory section. :p

So that's 129 -accounted for- Force Users. Not all of them are active. Not all of them still have the saber. And to be fair, not everyone (though the majority by far) makes a submission for one.

There are 7,000,000,000 people on Earth. There are countless billions more on worlds like Coruscant. There are an untold thousands of known and inhabited worlds throughout the galaxy.

The quantity of active Force Users at any one time could be in the hundreds of millions even, but still never even come close to comparing to the countless octillions of people present in all of the Star Wars universe.

Yes. I did just mention every single lightsaber on the site. Where's my medal? :3

PS: Oh, "choking a chicken" is a euphamism for... ya know... fapsturbating, so... probably wanna go with something else next time. ^^;
P-PS: Damn. Didn't get to see your double-post because it's on the other page so it didn't update in. :eek:

:: HERO of KORRIBAN ::
Point blank if a noob can join the board and is allowed to know juyo and vaapad then an NFU can use a lightsaber. Both are unrealistic, and it is more believeable an NFU can use a saber than a Padawan or Acolyte knowing Juyo especially when canon says its a form reaerved for MASTERS!!! That it also requires knowledge of the previous 6 forms because it draws on all of them. It is RARE. Yet we have people with no training being master duelist with it.

*coughs*godmoddingmetagaminglookatmeimbetterthangod*coughs*

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
Okay, this isn't getting anywhere.

The rule isn't going to be deleted. That looks pretty obvious.

How about a compromise?

It doesn't seem like it would be much of a problem to allow a Roleplay Judge to allow exemptions on a case by case basis. The Sith war droid, for instance, could reasonably be expected to know how to use a lightsaber without prior training. As was pointed out, Vader had scores of the things, so there is a canon precedent.

This way, you can avoid unnecessarily squashing RP and still guard against the sort of abuse the rule was designed to prevent in the first place.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Once again, everyone keeps saying "if Force Users can..." as if anyone or any rule is saying NFU's can't, which is why the argument is going in circles.

And Braith, archived or wiped sabers notwithstanding. :p

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
Tefka said:
Disney kinda ganked your canon card on that one, so no, zero precedent.
Really?

In that case, this whole site is invalid. Might as well pack up and head home. So long and thanks for all the fish.

99.9999% of the site is running on Legends canon. If you want to decide that's not good enough, I got nothing for you.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

tumblr_m28diiVT8L1rsetzlo1_500.gif

• Non-Force User characters may not start with the ability to wield a lightsaber.
It only says they can't start with the ability to use the weapon. Here are a list of ways around this:
  • Do a solo thread for a few posts being taught how to use the weapon, or learning how, whether it be by an NPC or some recording of such an NPC. Boom, done.
  • Find a FU willing to show you how to use a lightsaber. Doesn't even need to be full training til mastery like a FU would go through to go from padawan to knight.
  • Learn by trial and error, whether in a series of threads/skirmishes/invasions/etc or just one.
The rule never states a FU needs to train you, never says you need a PC to do it for you, and never says you can't do it on your own.

For arguments sake, no Non-Force user character would have a lightsaber. It's safe to say that an apprentice/initiate level character wouldn't be able to take down a Sith/Jedi(considering that apprentices of both Sith and Jedi followings use training sabers for the bulk of their training up to Knighthood. If you defeated anyone below the rank of Knight, you wouldn't be leaving with a true Lightsaber), and they certainly wouldn't know how to make a lightsaber, so the only other third option would be some ridiculously drawn out story about how it was passed down through generations or bought in a black market, both of which would be highly unlikely. I, therefore, do not agree that the rule should be changed just to better fit one of your characters story lines, though I also agree that it doesn't necessarily have much weight to it. I'm sure that the staff made this rule assuming that the typical Non-Force user character wouldn't just happen across a lightsaber and magically learn how to use it, which IS TRUE.

I don't think this needs changing, but it doesn't really matter one way or another to me.

[member="Moira Skaldi"] and my HRD were trained by [member="Snowflake"]'s Sith Lord to use lightsabres. They cannot, obviously, use the Force, but they have the reflexes to block blaster bolts and use the blades as competent duelists. They're not going to be flipping around with Form IV, but they do a mean Form II and III which relies on precise movements and cuts.

So yes, NFUs can't start with the ability, but they can learn it if desired.

Braith said:
It only says they can't start with the ability to use the weapon. Here are a list of ways around this:
  • Do a solo thread for a few posts being taught how to use the weapon, or learning how, whether it be by an NPC or some recording of such an NPC. Boom, done.
  • Find a FU willing to show you how to use a lightsaber. Doesn't even need to be full training til mastery like a FU would go through to go from padawan to knight.
  • Learn by trial and error, whether in a series of threads/skirmishes/invasions/etc or just one.
The rule never states a FU needs to train you, never says you need a PC to do it for you, and never says you can't do it on your own.
Exactly this post. If the rule was to prohibit lightsaber use by NFUs, it would do so. So there are no ways "around" it - every way listed adheres to the desired outcome of the rules' existance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom