Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFUs: Starting vs Learning Lightsabers

Kiber Dorn said:
Would you say then, that one could submit a weapon completely similar to the lightsaber in concept without the magical crystal bullkark to the exact same effect?

Pretty sure Factory would be intelligent enough to figure out what you're doing.

And what explanation to you expect us to give you? I did not create Star Wars. I can only give you the information presented on the wookiee, which makes it clear there's a distinct correlation between two things:

1. Using a Lightsaber
2. Being a Force User

The wookiee heavily implies though does not outright say that 1 is dependent on 2, and even in the case of Non Force Users learning to use it, they're still learning from Force Users.

I can provide no further information than that.

[member="Sarge Potteiger"]

Honestly, this isn't some dig at staff, or a chance for me to be Captain Anarchy. I've just never noticed this as a rule until now.

I think, every single weapon in the world (fictional or not) takes time and training to master, Force-inflicted or not. Nobody picks up a sword or a gun and learns how to be the perfect duellist in a day, you know?

It's just unusual to single out non-Force users (and hey, non bias here, my only NFU is an obese rat) as the ones that need physical proof of training to wield this one weapon. When there's so many canon or factory weapons that the same could be said for. It's nobody's fault here. Fiction is flawed, the Wookiee doesn't apply any real logic asides from, 'that's magic!' and well, as a largely non-duelist I probably won't start the board-wide poll on this topic because it doesn't affect me.

I'm just speaking shite really.

Kiber Dorn said:
It's nobody's fault here. Fiction is flawed, the Wookiee doesn't apply any real logic asides from, 'that's magic!' and well, as a largely non-duelist I probably won't start the board-wide poll on this topic because it doesn't affect me.
Then why ask the question if you know you won't receive a satisfactory answer?

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Kiber Dorn said:
On a logical scale, the only learning difficulty is that you're wielding a weapon with no weight in the blade.
It's not "just" weightless, there's almost no momentum in any swing. While there is continuous downward force, that inertia means the blade is gonna bounce all over the place every time it strikes a like object. Force users aren't just training to fight, they're training to more or less read telemetry so that this never turns into a deadly estimation.

Kiber Dorn said:
Your Force ability shouldn't technically matter. It's a bit silly to say that NFU's require X to use this weapon when Apprentices/Acolytes can.
At least half of the canon Forms to which a lightsaber was made to be used require some form of active connection to the Force, whether it be in acrobatics, telekinesis or just good sense. No real-world style will ever be better than these, as they take full advantage of the distinct properties that only the lightsaber has.

Kiber Dorn said:
But this literally told me nothing. Every single weapon in our real world needs dexterity or mastery to weild. Nobody picks up a claymore or an M16 knowing what to do without training if you dig me? This isn't aggressive, it's just, if we have this standard for one weapon, why not others?
I have no formal training in any of those and I can use a blade or firearm just fine. Certain bullets and guns can be incredibly lethal, sure, but it also doesn't mean that they pose an immediate threat to the user just because they were never trained to do it before.

I will analogize the lightsaber of swords with the sniper rifle of firearms in this case. Anybody with common sense and a bit of a feel for it can pick up a sword or a gun and hit a mark with it. Like a sniper rifle, the factors and variables are constantly overwhelming or shifting, and no one without formal training or a great deal of experience to substitute for training would EVER hit a mark so much as 200 meters out with any degree of consistency. This is what using a lightsaber is like, only you're dancing with the target on the 200 meter line.

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
On the subject of M16s, I can damn near write my name with one, so long as you're not picky about long range penmanship. It's taken me near a decade to get to that point, and I've still got a long way to go before I'll hit anything resembling mastery.

But the first time I picked one up, I figured out the basics of how to work it without any real sort of training. It's complicated as far as such things go, but figuring out which end went bang was pretty self explanatory.

A lightsaber is literally a button or two and maybe a knob if you're feeling fancy. Any idiot can figure out how to switch it on. Hell, Luke did that within thirty seconds of holding one for the first time, right after he got done pointing it at his face, the [bleep]ing moron. There's no reason a normal couldn't pick one up and do the same thing.

Honestly, don't give a two farks.

And I'm sure if I picked up a bloody rifle for the first time IRL I would have to learn about recoil and wind resistance. ;)

This doesn't affect me however because the system here can let me pick from any factory created submission, and several I'm sure that were created to counter lighstabers. :)

PS. I put the emoticons to annoy people

[member="Kiber Dorn"]
Probs if it was similar and less difficult to use. Most of the people who used the lightsabers whom were NFU's were seen doing so with broad, slow, and methodical strokes/strikes, rather than quick, repetitive, and precise strikes. I'm sure you could be proficient in using it in a way that would be similar to how Pre Vizla (who used the dark saber) was seen hacking and slashing with no real focus, none of the NFUs of canon were able to really pick up on a lightsaber form except for a shoddy copy of Makashi (or really fencing as we see in the real world rather than makashi) while using lightfoils (which were made pretty much for NFUs after the Sith Mecrosis Order left the system of origin).

Nerius said:
When the kark did this become a thing!?
When enough reports were submitted and a discussion was had that led to an announcement. Regardless, that doesn't have anything to do with the topic. Please discuss that in another topic if you want to change that.

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
I think we're all straying off topic. The rule doesn't say they can't get one, just that they have to have training first. We can argue over whether or not they'd be any good with it all day long, which we basically have. That, however, doesn't answer the original question: why?

What's stopping a normal from picking up a laser sword and turning it on without anyone showing them how to duel? They're not exactly all that complicated to activate, and if someone chops their own head off, chalk one up for Darwin.

"Non-Force User characters may not start with the ability to wield a lightsaber."

Honestly, I believe that as long as a Non-Force User was trained in the past properly, They should be able to use one, by properly, I mean that the training had something to do with their backstory, Like for instance their father or something was a Jedi and passed on the teachings of using a Lightsaber, That does not mean that everyone can be trained to use a Lightsaber in the past as they are not Force Sensitive, I mean a legit scenario, a flashback training thread would be cool, but to be honest, not allowing Non-Force Users with an acceptable back story to start off with the ability to wield a Lightsaber is like not allowing Force Users with an acceptable back story to start off with the ability to wield a blaster.

Sent from my iPad. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nyxie

【夢狐】
I'm just gonna put it shortly as my final answer: people who are upset that they can't get the cool thing but the cool kids get the cool thing.

Go work for it, sillies.

Peace and good luck though! :p

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Ya know. I started this whole thread because one of the new guys asked if he could play a Sith War Droid programmed to use a Lightsaber. I figured, sure? Why not. Vader was smashing those things constantly because it was such a good form of training. (This was EU pre-Prequels, so the Magnaguards being unable to best Anakin and Kenobi was not Movie Canon yet.) ...Then. I figured? Meh. What's to stop him. Nobody enforces new profiles anyway. Go ahead and play a Sith War Droid that can use Lightsabers. No biggie.

Then somebody posts this rule below his character profile and I'm like, "Nah. That rule is lame'sauce. Anybody can swing a lightsaber they looted from a corpse. It's just a laser sword. No biggie. I'll get Tef too take it down."

Welp

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Oh, and I know it's probably irrelevant to most of you but one last thing: one great example of how this rule helps keep order and sense is that without it, any NFU could have a lightsaber, and I'm looking at you, NPCs. Even nameless NPCs might be given one. Then the most iconic--and one of the rarest--weapons in the game/lore would be everywhere.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
DarthDraven Lord of Draven said:
Then the most iconic--and one of the rarest--weapons in the game/lore would be everywhere.
*chokes a chicken as he tries to read these posts*

Drav. Have you played TOR? Have you seen the number of FU characters on this website? Have you even pondered the sheer number of lightsabers that are floating about this forum, right now, and in the sum of every IC told in our archives?

*kills the chicken*

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Also, "chocking the chicken" is not used as a euphemism above. >.<''

...Too late. Double post of guilt. Ugh. *le sigh*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom