Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion Major Faction Mandates [2024 Update]

Hello everyone!

I am reaching out to all of you to ask for your thoughts on the mandates that we currently have in place. I want to revise them soon and remove some of the less frequently used options and replace them with better alternatives. While we do have some popular choices that are regularly selected, I believe that having a variety of options is important to keep things interesting. I'm looking for ideas on what you might want to see, different ways to gain/lose hexes, and anything you feel might be dynamic.

Don't be shy or worried about putting your thoughts out there - I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to say!

Thanks ahead of time. Cheers!

I had suggested a new mandate a couple of years back, couldn't hurt to throw it up again for contemplation.

Neutrality
"No participation in wars; international cooperation but no membership in any military alliance; no provision of troops or weapons to warring parties and no granting of transition rights." -Ignazio Cassis

Strength: This Major Faction receives a maximum of 7 starting adjacent hexes of their choice for their starting influence cloud.

Strength: This Major Faction may not be targeted for Invasions.

Weakness: This Mandate may only be selected upon a Minor Faction approval to Major Faction; No current Major Faction may choose this Mandate.

Weakness: This Major Faction may not participate in Dominions or gain Additional Hexes.

Weakness: This Major Faction may not participate in Invasions.

Weakness: This Major Faction loses this Mandate if it chooses a new Mandate at any time, and may not choose it again.

In regards to the current Mandates. I feel that 'Collateral Damage' could be done away with due to the infrequency of Annihilations. Likewise, with the Underworld Credits mechanic disabled, the 'Lucky Looter' Mandate could also be removed.

Yeah I think lucky looter is definitely one that isn't really going to get used as it is now. Posts to the map update thread happen maybe 3-4 times a month per faction at most and only reward 1000 UC's each. I easily earn more in just a day by posting to some threads because public thread posts reward just as much and are WAY more frequent. So I'd never even consider having my entire faction mandate be that one for that puny amount of credits.

It's possible to make it more appealing if it rewarded more, but I think UC's have just fallen off a bit too much for it in the community.

That said, I'm also going to take a few days to brainstorm some new ideas, so will post more :)

I had suggested a new mandate a couple of years back, couldn't hurt to throw it up again for contemplation.

In regards to the current Mandates. I feel that 'Collateral Damage' could be done away with due to the infrequency of Annihilations. Likewise, with the Underworld Credits mechanic disabled, the 'Lucky Looter' Mandate could also be removed.

Yeah I think lucky looter is definitely one that isn't really going to get used as it is now. Posts to the map update thread happen maybe 3-4 times a month per faction at most and only reward 1000 UC's each. I easily earn more in just a day by posting to some threads because public thread posts reward just as much and are WAY more frequent. So I'd never even consider having my entire faction mandate be that one for that puny amount of credits.

It's possible to make it more appealing if it rewarded more, but I think UC's have just fallen off a bit too much for it in the community.

That said, I'm also going to take a few days to brainstorm some new ideas, so will post more :)
Appreciate you both!

All of the following mandates, I wrote up like four years ago when Rebellions were still a thing. I am in favor of bringing Rebellions back, only, however; if the community is more involved in the structuring of its mechanics. Rebellions here can be replaced with whatever map mechanic works best, so rework for junctions, or annihilation even though they don't happen that often. I know we have like a submit x codex threads for y hexes already, so you can skip over that one.

I think these can still offer a good place to brainstorm from, having looked at current mandates, I agree in getting rid of the lucky looter.

AGAIN: I know, Rebellions aren't a thing, I'm just resubmitting this to help brainstorm ideas!

STANDARD
STRENGTH: May submit three dominions a month.
WEAKNESS: The third dominion is eligible for rebellion for ten calendar days after it is submitted.

ARCHITECT OF THE VOID
STRENGTH: Faction must submit at least eight codex submissions by at least four different writers. Doing so nets the faction Two free hexes.
WEAKNESS: This faction may not submit more than one dominion a month.

OLIGARCH’S SCHEME
STRENGTH: Faction must provide at least four contracts with four separate companies, not owned by writers within the faction. Doing so nets the faction one free hex.
WEAKNESS: This faction cannot submit more than two dominions a month.

WARLORD’S CRUSADE
STRENGTH: Faction must launch two invasions a month. These invasions cannot target the same faction. This faction may select up to three hexes in which to invade.
WEAKNESS: Faction may only submit one dominion a month. If this faction loses their invasions they lose three hexes at their opponents choosing.

GRASP THE VOID
STRENGTH: Faction may submit up to six dominions a month.
WEAKNESS: All dominions are subject to rebellion, and are eligible for rebellion upon submission. This faction may earn one free hex so long as there are no rebellions. Should this faction become the target of a rebellion, they must win that rebellion or otherwise lose all six hexes due to loss of influence.

THE FLOTILLA
STRENGTH: This faction is constantly on the move, and may select three new hexes in which to settle once every sixty days.
WEAKNESS: This faction can not submit a dominion.

COUNTER-STRIKE
STRENGTH: Any time this faction successfully defends against an invader. They may select up to two hexes within the opponent’s cloud of influence to turn neutral.
WEAKNESS: This faction may only submit two dominions per month.

BATTLEFRONT
STRENGTH: Any time this faction successfully defends against a rebellion or wins an invasion. They may select an additional hex to gain or turn up to two hexes within an opponent’s cloud of influence neutral.
WEAKNESS: All three monthly dominions are eligible for rebellion upon submission.

DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY
STRENGTH: This faction cannot be the target of invasions.
WEAKNESS: This faction cannot submit more than one dominion a month. This mandate may only be selected once every sixty days.

BREAKING THE PACT
STRENGTH: Any time that an invasion by this faction would break or violate terms of a non-aggression pact. This faction may select up to three hexes in their opponent’s cloud of influence in which to invade.
WEAKNESS: Any time this faction would be invaded, their opponents may select up to three hexes to invade. This faction may only submit one dominion per month.

BLOOD IN THE VOID
STRENGTH: This faction must launch at least two invasions a month, every month. Cannot target the same faction twice in a month. Doing so gains them two free hexes per month.
WEAKNESS: This faction cannot submit any dominions. This faction’s cloud of influence is eligible to be rebelled by any minor faction, at any time.

STELLAR DIPLOMACY
STRENGTH: This faction may submit a diplomatic thread to gain an additional hex per month. This diplomatic thread must pertain to the hex and involve at least three writers that are not part of the faction.
WEAKNESS: This faction may not launch an invasion, and cannot submit more than two dominions per month.

MARAUDER’S WARPATH
STRENGTH: This faction may complete a campaign invasion worth five hexes against other major factions.
WEAKNESS: Should this faction lose any of their campaign invasions, their opponents then decide which five hexes, this faction loses. This faction cannot submit any dominions.

HAND OF DEMOCRACY
STRENGTH: This faction may complete up to four dominions a month.
WEAKNESS: This may not submit any junctions. The last two dominions submitted are eligible for rebellion upon submission for up to ten calendar days.

FORTUNATE SUNS
Strength: This faction may submit two junctions per month as opposed to one. These junctions may be done with either a minor or major faction.
Weakness:This faction is limited to two dominions per month, all hexes earned through junctions or dominions are eligible for rebellions, for ten calendar days after they have been submitted.

All of the following mandates, I wrote up like four years ago when Rebellions were still a thing. I am in favor of bringing Rebellions back, only, however; if the community is more involved in the structuring of its mechanics. Rebellions here can be replaced with whatever map mechanic works best, so rework for junctions, or annihilation even though they don't happen that often. I know we have like a submit x codex threads for y hexes already, so you can skip over that one.

I think these can still offer a good place to brainstorm from, having looked at current mandates, I agree in getting rid of the lucky looter.

AGAIN: I know, Rebellions aren't a thing, I'm just resubmitting this to help brainstorm ideas!

It's fine to resubmit - I'm not going to slam it just because it veers toward a specific mechanic.

Brain storming is 100% what I'm looking for.

sɪɴɴᴇʀs ʙʏ ᴅᴇᴇᴅ ʙᴜᴛ ʀɪɢʜᴛᴇᴏᴜs sᴛɪʟʟ
From what I can tell, a lot Major Faction interaction on the map has shifted towards Junctions in recent times which makes sense to me because as a mechanic it reflects the more collaborative shift the board has been taking over time. So with this in mind I think more junction-based mandates are worth looking into, I'll work on some to propose in the near future

Arla Rodarch

Marshal, Journeyman Protector
Ok ill put myself out there. Ijaat Mereel Ijaat Mereel

Defensive Bastion
"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries." -French Taunter
Strength:
  • Invasions targeting this Major Faction last double the time
  • Only four invasions may target this Major Faction per year
Weakness:
  • This Major Faction cannot gain territory through Dominions
  • This Major Faction cannot launch Invasions

This is a very different choice to all the others which is cool but I think giving a faction such a large area which cannot be taken away would be problematic. I also think it would also need something like
"if the major faction chooses to lose this mandate it must sacrifice 4 hexes that become neutral"

To prevent abuse to get a bigger free cloud then just grow it later, and also to represent that not all of starting Hexes want to give up neutrality.

Hex Hex

I appreciate the feedback and understand the concern. As a means to perhaps mitigate any such abuse, there could be an implementation of an additional caveat as you’ve suggested. Either a loss of hexes or even a time limit that would prevent them from taking the mandate then 60 days later jumping to something else.

My intention with the Mandate was to encourage Minor Factions or perhaps those that may be worried about just being jumped the moment they came onto the map by providing them a small buffer.

This 'Neutrality' proposal would be ideal for criminal groups, who could hold a small territory for storytelling purposes without involving themselves in actual warfare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom