Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jedi High Council

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
Carn Dista said:
a majority vote from the council for any jedi master character would be a good thing.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Okay I am good, it would be a wonderful sight to behold but I fear... That is as rare as a triple rainbow with a lucky penny while having a date on valentines days.

Daella Apparine said:
Don't need one right now. Just need a process to decide on one so it's not in limbo forever.
Yeah a general process would be nice. I am all for the council voting in the person whoever it might be when the time comes.

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
I say keep the Knight Representative position. It provides the Knights with a vote in the general goings of the Order and it can provide a fresh perspective on certain issues.

I was asked to post here so here goes, whether Kei is here or not I hopefully will always have Jedi here in some stage of development, so thanks for asking for input.

12 Seats sounds great, i'd make it an odd number though for obvious reasons, on votes. PC if possible, if not NPC's are split as evenly as possible, or just abstain in votes.

For the council

Having all Master's is a preference.

Knights if they have been around forever but just not been promoted OOC should be fine, you'll still know them as a roleplayer by then.

Term of Office:

Lifetime IC.
OOC 3 Months absence then replaced.

Council Headquarters i'd also pick Coruscant.
However OOC you'd be too vulnerable having all the republics eggs in one basket, its already too big a target for any invading force. This is kei muse speaking :D, you don't want the republic being able to be taken down in one strike, ever. It's happened too many times in canon ;), and if I were a sith reading this, i'd be rubbing my hands.

Some of the harder things:
Stripping a Jedi of his force powers should be a unanimous vote.
Imprisoning a Force User of any denomination should be a majority vote.
Banishing a member from the order should be a good majority vote, not just +1, but a clear majority.
^
All of these things should be handled in house by the Jedi, not involving anything or anyone else. Personal preference OOC.

Carn Dista

C
Matsu Ike said:
Okay I am good, it would be a wonderful sight to behold but I fear... That is as rare as a triple rainbow with a lucky penny while having a date on valentines days.
Your lack of faith is disturbing.
A majority vote would only require 2/3 on a 3 person council, which is what we have currently. It's hardly a difficult thing to achieve, and if it is, then whoever is pushing for JM should, well, push a little harder and make sure the council know they're up to it.

Also if the council can't agree on anything, then it's worth looking at who's on the council and why they can't agree. If it comes down to ooc butting of heads... well.

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
The council currently is

Darron who is a dedicated jedi, believes in protecting people at all costs.
Syn who is a dedicated jedi to the opposite extreme. He believes in protecting the Republic at all costs even if it means doing bad things. Which is why he got in trouble and has been named Bolverk.
Joshua Dragonsflame who is at times to idealistic compared to the rest but he acts at times like he has more experience. When he told the council he had seen more death then a former sith lord and Darron Wraith to Selena everyone looked at him like he said his shoe tastes funny.

Matsu Ike said:
The council currently is

Darron who is a dedicated jedi, believes in protecting people at all costs.
Syn who is a dedicated jedi to the opposite extreme. He believes in protecting the Republic at all costs even if it means doing bad things. Which is why he got in trouble and has been named Bolverk.
Joshua Dragonsflame who is at times to idealistic compared to the rest but he acts at times like he has more experience. When he told the council he had seen more death then a former sith lord and Darron Wraith to Selena everyone looked at him like he said his shoe tastes funny.
@[member="Matsu Ike"] That's because he meant personal death. Don't take things like that to heart without asking the writer first. You might learn something. It probably wasn't the best way for me to word that, but the point was that he had lost everything, and knew what it was like to experience death on a serious level.

Funnily enough, DragonsFlame at times considers himself inferior when it comes to the rest of the Council, considering himself the junior of it all, thus why he was near scared shartless about the Roche meeting. A lack of self esteem, basically. Didn't think he had the right to call that meeting because of his position in comparison to others with more experience on the Council.

But now back to business....

@[member="Carn Dista"] If it's an OOC butting of heads, It'll probably get settled on a chat or something quickly with how we've been lately. Luckily, usually we've agreed quite a bit as of late on, basically... Everything. I've been surprised actually. If there ever is an issue though, and it can't be resolved... Well, I suppose we'll figure that out if we ever come to it.

@[member="Kei Amadis"] Agreed, on the deadlock thing. As for headquarters, lately I've seen the headquarters change around, sometimes it's Coruscant, sometimes it's Tython.

Alright.

I think NPC council members is a good thing just to give the order the air of consistency with a number of council members. Yes, as we see not all the seats are filled in canon but typically not for long periods of time. So might have weeks with 11 or 10 members but 12 is number. NPCs to fill the gaps is easy and yeah, having them abstain from votes is easy. It also makes it easier for people to say that they are acting on behalf of the council because then you don't have a handful of people saying "no, you weren't" cause then they can appeal to NPCs. So in some regard, that helps defend the little guy too.

As for election, I believe that electing the grandmaster is the way to do it. It also should be done by the council. In theory they are members who have been here longer and will have a more valued vote than the new members. Not to rag on new members but it takes time to get a feel and to be able to vote wisely.

Also, I still think the Knight Rep should go. As stated it just is not canon, and people don't stay Knights for super long on this board anyways if they're active and have been around for awhile so it is not like they can't get onto the council in a relatively short time anyways. Honestly, there are more and better ways to get them involved in the faction than having them on the council.

Carn Dista said:
Also if the council can't agree on anything, then it's worth looking at who's on the council and why they can't agree. If it comes down to ooc butting of heads... well.
QFT

How about this for the method of electing a Grand Master:

Should the position of Grand Master be vacant, there shall be an election involving the entire Jedi Order. Each unique Writer with a Jedi character can vote on a Jedi Master in the Order as who they would wish to assume the title. The election shall last for a week. The winning character is nominated. The Jedi High Council will then have to vote on whether or not to accept the nominee as the Grand Master of the Jedi Order. The Jedi High Council's vote must be unanimous.

If the Jedi High Council unanimously confirms the nominee as the Grand Master, then he or she shall assume the title immediately and also be given a seat on the Council if he was not already on the Jedi High Council. If the Jedi High Council cannot reach a unanimous agreement, then the nominee's candidacy is rescinded. A new election shall begin on the first of the next month.

In character, the out-of-character election will be explained as a simple electronic nomination done by the entire Jedi Order with the person nominated the most becoming the official nominee.

There is no acting Grand Master in the event that the title is vacant.

Daella Apparine said:
How about this for the method of electing a Grand Master:

Should the position of Grand Master be vacant, there shall be an election involving the entire Jedi Order. Each unique Writer with a Jedi character can vote on a Jedi Master in the Order as who they would wish to assume the title. The election shall last for a week. The winning character is nominated. The Jedi High Council will then have to vote on whether or not to accept the nominee as the Grand Master of the Jedi Order. The Jedi High Council's vote must be unanimous.

If the Jedi High Council unanimously confirms the nominee as the Grand Master, then he or she shall assume the title immediately and also be given a seat on the Council if he was not already on the Jedi High Council. If the Jedi High Council cannot reach a unanimous agreement, then the nominee's candidacy is rescinded. A new election shall begin on the first of the next month.

In character, the out-of-character election will be explained as a simple electronic nomination done by the entire Jedi Order with the person nominated the most becoming the official nominee.

There is no acting Grand Master in the event that the title is vacant.
This actually sounds like a really good idea for electing a new GM. I'm all for it.

I think keeping it 2/3 of the council is still an alteration that should happen, as Vulpesen stated as well. Unanimous is highly impractical, and if they've already won a general vote then they clearly have support. Why hold someone back if one person on the Council voted against them?

Carn Dista

C
So rather than a majority vote, how about a supermajority? Say 66%? That way it covers the 3 man council and any more people that get on. It should be the same for JMs too imo.

2/3 = 66% :p

We do that for Jedi Masters already. Well maybe not a super majority but after the faction masters vote the board RPJs vote. So it going through two channels kind of makes up for the super majority need.

I added the method of appointing a Grand Master to the lead, this time with the High Council requiring a supermajority vote with a link to a calculator for the mathematically challenged.

Next item of business: Master of the Order.

Is one needed? If so, then my blurb about it in the lead goes:
Yet, canon is pretty explicit about how the appointment is made: the High Council elects the Master of the Order. Unlike the Grand Master, there is little input from members-at-large.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom