Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jedi High Council

@[member="Darron Wraith"], @[member="Joshua DragonsFlame"], @[member="Syn"]

It'd be nice to get something going. It seems dead in the water at the moment, and it'd be great to actually have it appear to be something similar to canon.

This thread will be used as a means to get things worked out. So:

Number of seats: 12
Daella's comments:
There is no reason to keep it below the canon 12 seats. There is also no reason to attempt to fill all seats with player-characters. See: Seats not filled by player-characters.

Method of appointment: Should there be a time to make a player-character a Council member, or if there is a vacancy at any point, the sitting Council members will begin an in-character thread to discuss on who to appoint. The nominations can be anyone the Council members wish, yet it is tradition to only nominate Masters or Knights that are to become Masters upon accepting the seat.

Once a name has been nominated to take an open seat, the Council members will vote on whether to accept the new member. The Council must unanimously agree to accept the new member. If the Council does not reach a unanimous agreement, then the seat shall remain vacant until a member is accepted.
Daella's comments:
The New Jedi Order definitely made appointments only possible with unanimous consent of all Council representatives. This made several seats stay vacant for years - such as Mara Jade after she died.

Term of office: In character, there are multiple time limits for terms. There are five lifetime members that serve until death or resigning. There are four long-term members that may serve for over a decade. Then there are three limited-term members that serve for months or a couple years.

However, due to the nature of role-playing and the fact that the timeline only progresses roughly a year every six months, it is difficult to explain how a lifetime member suddenly leaves the Council due to inactivity. For out-of-character purposes, terms are handled as such: a character on the Council serves until death, resignation, or her/her Writer going inactive. The remaining Council members are the judges for whether or not someone has gone inactive.

Then after a Council member has left the High Council, the remaining Council members shall decide what type of term the departing member had based on how long he or she served the Council in order to explain any removals due to inactive Writers.

Daella's comments:
Term of office in the Old Jedi Order was split into three parts: lifetime, long term, and limited term. Lifetime members obviously served til death or resigning. Long-term members served upwards to ten years. The term was flexible. Limited-term members served in a measure of several months to a couple years. Times can be modified to be relative to real-time. Otherwise, we could assume all seats are for life.

Seats not filled by player-characters: Vacant until otherwise decided in-character
Daella's comments:
I suggested earlier that seats not filled by a player-character could either be vacant or filled by a mute NPC that inexplicably dies when the other PC characters feel like getting another PC on the council.

Council headquarters: Tython
Daella's comments:
In canon, the Jedi Order was on the following planets at certain points of time: Tython, Ossus, and Coruscant. Tython was the original homeworld of the Jedi. Yet, they fled that planet after the Force Wars - most likely because the planet is horrible and the war ravaged it further. Ossus was the next homeworld and stayed so until much later in the Order's life. The move to Coruscant was due to the desire to work directly with Republic officials.

The New Jedi Order used Yavin 4, Ossus, Coruscant, along with a starship. Eventually, it settled down on Coruscant as the Old Jedi Order did before, only leaving during the time of Darth Krayt.

Ossus is an unavailable world for the Jedi Order - it is currently in the sphere of influence of the Sith Empire. The Jedi also only temporarily moved back to Tython during the Cold War due to the destruction of their temple on Coruscant and a stipulation that they were not to rebuild it. Seeing the options, I would recommend Temple of Coruscant, which was the standard headquarters of the Old Jedi and New Jedi.

Appointment of Grand Master:
Should the position of Grand Master be vacant, there shall be an election involving the entire Jedi Order. Each unique Writer with a Jedi character can vote on a Jedi Master in the Order as who they would wish to assume the title. The election shall last for a week. The winning character is nominated. The Jedi High Council will then have to vote on whether or not to accept the nominee as the Grand Master of the Jedi Order. The Jedi High Council's approval must be a supermajority.

If the Jedi High Council confirms the nominee as the Grand Master, then he or she shall assume the title immediately and also be given a seat on the Council if he was not already on the Jedi High Council. If the Jedi High Council does not confirm the nominee, then the nominee's candidacy is rescinded. A new election shall begin on the first of the next month.

In character, the out-of-character election will be explained as a simple electronic nomination done by the entire Jedi Order with the person nominated the most becoming the official nominee.

There is no acting Grand Master in the event that the title is vacant.
Daella's comments:
In order to give power to the faction so that it can properly choose its own leader, using something similar the canon method is problem best. In canon, the overall most favored Master of the Jedi Order was nominated. The method of nomination isn't explicit, but a simple vote as soon as there is a vacancy is all that's necessary. Then, the standing Jedi High Council votes on the nominee. The vote must be unanimous - or the position is left vacant.

Appointment of the Master of the Order: When the position is vacant, members of the Jedi High Council shall nominate someone on the Jedi High Council requiring a second. Then, there will be a vote of the nominees among all members of the Jedi High Council. The nominee with the most votes becomes the Master of the Order. If there is a tie in voting, there shall be a runoff election of just the tied candidates.
Daella's comments:
This position is not necessary to have. Yet, canon is pretty explicit about how the appointment is made: the High Council elects the Master of the Order. Unlike the Grand Master, there is little input from members-at-large.

Members:
The following are the only current members I believe, at the moment. I would like their input.
  • Darron Wraith
  • Syn
  • Joshua DragonsFlame (Knight)

Former Members:
I would like to get a list of former members for archiving sake.
  • Je'gan Olra'en
  • Jaxton Ravos
  • Selena Halcyon
  • Feena Mason
  • Ben Watts
  • Teferi Efreet †

Grand Masters:
Ordered with the most recent at the top.
  • Incumbent: Vacant
  • Je'gan Olra'en
  • Ben Watts
  • Darron Wraith
  • Teferi Efreet †
denotes for a character that is dead.

The recent history, in order from current to backwards for Grandmasters that I KNOW of is:

Incubent: Vacant (Vacated By Darron Wraith)
Darron Wraith (2nd Term)
Je'gan
Ben Watts

Not sure who had it before Ben. He was GM when I registered, though I know Darron has had a term before his latest one. I'm sure @[member="Darron Wraith"] or @[member="Syn"] could help with the rest.

Joshua DragonsFlame said:
Isn't Tython housing one of our main temples as well?
The lead has a little explanation of Jedi Temples and their headquarters. Though for the most part in Jedi history, temples have been on many different planets - not just Coruscant and Tython.

Syn
Darron Wraith

Kiskla Grayson
Phylis Alince
Matsu Ike
Carn Dista

Arumi
Fabula
are questionable only because Arumi wanted to help the Republic and jedi but not actually join the order, Fabula hangs around with them

Aleidis
Kahne
are unknowns, one hasn't been on and the other as far as I know has left the order but Darron is working to bring them back.

Dirrerent account but those are the current masters as it stands. Ben Watts and sky Kerberos as well but they are inactive/LOA

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
Well for the moment the plan was a council of masters. Until such a time as one can be chosen. So all masters at least now their input would be welcome and used.

@[member="Daella Apparine"] I suppose it's for Jedi that have gotten the Council's attention and who they feel can handle a major leadership role. It's apparently why I was brought on, although it may have partially been because I volunteered to help if I could as well. I think the only people who could tell you that are Smitty or Ben.

I meant more on how the Council makes the selection after a Jedi has received the consideration of the Council. This is what I wrote about that in the lead:
The New Jedi Order definitely made appointments only possible with unanimous consent of all Council representatives. This made several seats stay vacant for years - such as Mara Jade after she died.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom