Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to deal with being spread too thin?

Okay, so I have developed a problem that I know should be very familiar with a lot of you (and to my self), and that's being involved with more than things than I can reasonable keep up with.

I'm being burned out, so to speak.

I have all these ideas and plans and stories to tell, but I haven't the ability to keep up with them daily, which is always scary because for one thing other people are waiting on you, and you feel guilty, and the other thing is you never know if leaving it even for a short time might kill your desire to pick it up again. Or you might try to but draw nothing but a blank. Uninspired.

So, to prevent the inevitable burn out, I'm reaching out to see what I other people do to deal with it.

I've already taken some initiative by PMing basically everyone I'm involved with on a semi-daily basis addressing my particular dilemma and such, but its become a habit now to be late posting, and that's never fun. Every time I post now I feel like I need to apologize, lol.

How do you deal with this?

Lurcano Car'dann

"Kark you, I won't do what you tell me."
Well, the first thing I would say is not to take another other threads on right now. Finish Roleplaying everything you have and only focus on those. Don't start any new projects till you are completely done. Once done, you can work on putting things out one by one until you've reached a manageable amount of threads. As someone who regularly comes home at 6:00-7:30. I understand the struggle.

Yeah, i have this problem big time.

I get really really into characters, and then I drop them because of lack of drive or because I'm stretched too thin. Currently the only characters on my character list that I'm not actively RP'ing with at least one post a day are Sven and Lira. That means i have six active characters. On top of that I have two more characters coming in the next two or three months who will essentially be mains.

Along with those I have a huge amount of concepts for characters. I have an entire folder on my computer with 12-13 different bio's, avatars, and even signatures already made.

How do I keep up with it all? I kind of set myself a schedule. I set up a sort of reward system for myself where I write and don't write and sometimes i just interject with posts when I feel like it. Honestly, the best way for me to keep track of it all is through the boards own notification system, then I line up my posts in a specific order(generally the threads I most want to RP to the ones i least want to RP) then i go at it.

It also helps that I'm an incredibly fast poster and most people are slow.

For you I would suggest trying to narrow your focus. Get a few RP's going on characters you want to keep that you really enjoy, that way you won't lose muse for that character because you have that thread to constantly look forward to :)

Yes, the thread thing is quite good, I must say. Keeps you motivated, gives you enough time to focus on every single thread, etc. I personally prefer not having more than five ongoing threads at any time per character and a total of ten threads with any of my characters.

I's a manageable amount for me and doesn't burn me out too much. You just gotta find out if it's also the right thing for you. Remember, finding inspiration and not spreading too thin are things every writer will approach their own way. What is right for one may be bad for others, so you'll have to test these things out and find your own way of dealing with these things.

Or, well, if one of these suits you, go on and use it.

:)

[member="Lurcano Car'dann"], The problem for me atm, is that the number of threads I'm tyring to manage is already too high. I'm not adding too much to my plate, the plate is already at max capacity. It's difficult to choose what to whittle down when the whole thing needs whittling :p

[member="Sarge Potteiger"], I wish I had that will power. I tried to keep it like that for Zambrano early on but as he became more popular and fun to write it became difficult to refuse requests or to put off ideas I had for him in my head :p

[member="Darth Vornskr"], I've actually been really good about this! For like, the first month and a half Zambrano had been the only character I was actually using! Then I rebooted one of my old characters to support Zamby and his faction, so that added a very minor additional load. Then an old RP partner requested a thread with an old friend of his characters, so naturally I had to bring her back for at least that thread. I also have DV's return in the works because Zambrano decided to free him from the Netherworld. So basically, I was doing really good until Zambrano started messing with shit I'd rather have left alone. Damn characters! Doing things I didn't expect them too :p

[member="Soliael Talith"] Holy cow! That explains why people are always gripping how your characters die so often, you always have another one lined right up! However, what you're describing for how you deal with your threads is actually really similar with how I'm trying to do now, except their organized by the threads I feel most obligated to post in rather than what I'd really like to get to... which is probably because I'd rather be able to get to all of them :p The rewards and schedule thing sounds interesting though, I could always give it a shot some time.

[member="Emma Norewood"] How many threads for how many characters?! Jeeze guy I can't even comprehend how I would juggle that many threads, lol :p But very true about finding what's best for me, I just don't think I've found it yet :)

Thanks for the feedback guys! Keep it coming :D

Lurcano Car'dann said:
[member="Zambrano the Hutt"] Drop the threads you aren't having fun in. Simple.
Thanks for the suggestion. Gonna drop our thread now.

jk. :p

Anyways, [member="Zambrano the Hutt"], maybe this could help you a little bit, too? I'm going to write an expanded and updated version of this soon, too, maybe the new one could be of aid for you. :)

[member="Lurcano Car'dann"], I don't like dropping threads unless they deserve to be dropped directly on their baby heads.

[member="Emma Norewood"], that certainly had some helpful tips. I may actually try out the last one.

I've always found that when I wasn't RPing (during my super long Hiatus after RPing was 'banned' for me, since my parents thought it was bad for me), I continued to imagine and yearn to continue those stories I didn't get to finish, and stories yet to have started before having to leave. I'd fantasy my best case scenarios if everything went right for my characters, or I'd fantasize their tragic failures and what else these things might lead to during that Hiatus.

Perhaps once I get these damnable threads out of the way (I'll set up a dead line, a sorta schedule thing like Sol suggested), I'll take a week, or two weeks off where I don't allow myself to RP.

Then boom shakalaka! I've got my groove back :p

I've learned to just not let pressure build up on getting posts. The beauty of a forum RP is that you don't really miss much. In an ingame, you have to be online to be apart of something. Here you could go on a Loa for a few days and come back no problem.

Something I've been doing, and I'm sure people have noticed, is simply take a break. One whole day of nothing posts, maybe poking in something OOC but nothing IC. Don't force yourself to try to type something you're not feeling. The post, and by extension the thread, will suffer for it.

And don't feel guilty for it. Ever. This is a collaboration between many writers and is just a place that people should go to to relax and type up good stories.

Now, I'm off to sleep, but feel free to message me. I'll try to get a response between the 15 or so threads Im in. I got a serious issue with sayin no.

Love ya [member="Zambrano the Hutt"]

Soliael Talith said:
Yeah, i have this problem big time.

I get really really into characters, and then I drop them because of lack of drive or because I'm stretched too thin. Currently the only characters on my character list that I'm not actively RP'ing with at least one post a day are Sven and Lira. That means i have six active characters. On top of that I have two more characters coming in the next two or three months who will essentially be mains.

Along with those I have a huge amount of concepts for characters. I have an entire folder on my computer with 12-13 different bio's, avatars, and even signatures already made.

How do I keep up with it all? I kind of set myself a schedule. I set up a sort of reward system for myself where I write and don't write and sometimes i just interject with posts when I feel like it. Honestly, the best way for me to keep track of it all is through the boards own notification system, then I line up my posts in a specific order(generally the threads I most want to RP to the ones i least want to RP) then i go at it.

It also helps that I'm an incredibly fast poster and most people are slow.

For you I would suggest trying to narrow your focus. Get a few RP's going on characters you want to keep that you really enjoy, that way you won't lose muse for that character because you have that thread to constantly look forward to :)
Chris' solution is to be organized.

My solution is to freak out and have a panic attack that I'm being overwhelmed with 24 threads. Which is really weird considering I am exceptionally good under pressure in a kitchen environment...

Yoru Shakou

I've found my Tuesday and Thursday game nights of playing Pathfinder and Board Games really help me when it comes to keeping my mind clear and myself focused. It lets me unwind a couple times a week and gives me time to breath in between all the plotting, planning and general Galactic Scheming.
[member="Zambrano the Hutt"]

I get this problem all time. My issue is that I'm a meticulous perfectionist and have to draft and brainstorm everything before I write it out. I'll often get into too many of threads, get stressed and take a break from RP, then come back and want to start something new and abandon the threads I was in. It's an annoying cycle that I'm struggling to get out of.

I'm also primarily a writer rather than an RPer. I have 13+ years of experience constructing stories and characters, but I've only been RPing for about 3 years. I treat my threads too much like a novel, I take hours to days to write one post and I'm also unaccustomed to an environment that's out of my total control. So yeah, I'm not a fast RPer.

From just over 1 year of RP experience, and all of it here, I am probably a n00b compared to most. I currently have 4 characters who are all created to experience different stories. One is a Bad FU, one is a Good FU, one is a Good NFU and one is a Bad NFU. I have another character but my muse has gone for him so he's on the shelf for now.

I digress - all I can simply offer for what I do is this:

- Cut back on wanting your character to do TOO much, too soon. Slow and steady steps forward, even with a character you love and want to do so much with.

- Be strict on yourself with your timelines and agreeing / volunteering to join with threads or other writers if you have a lot on yourself

- Focus on the character(s) you truly connect with and you don't feel writing for them is a problem so writing becomes as natural as breathing for you and you know you have the time and passion for them

- Remember you're NOT a machine, and you will forget notifications or neglect a post here or there. It's natural. Don't beat yourself up if you do

The last thing you want to do is burn yourself out by trying to do TOO much, and then you lose all the muse you had and just get worn out.
:)

Burn out - Slow Down. Else you just lose the muses entirely. In fact do something else entirely, the complete opposite when you feel burn out. I like putting on a certain type of dance music, not to get in a muse, just to completely take me out of state of mind, or running or exercising.

1) Try and combine your characters plots, so that one plot can engage several muses, so you are not managing too much.
2) Make some characters minor (even indicate this in their sig, for slow post expectations)
3) Don't raise expectations of your post frequency too much. Too much depends on you, if it's too much just slow down. People who want to write with you still will be there.
4) Prioritize threads. Students/Dom threads are usually first on my list to monitor. Today I am going to hit these, the rest have to wait.
5) Sub to your threads so they are in your tracker and easy to reference, there is an option for this on your profile, so you can easily monitor them.
6) I wish there was a scratchpad thread/forum where we could post announcements and get people dropping us messages, but you can use your writers profile as a way to keep everyone updated on all characters, which is perhaps just as good. That way you are dealing with everything through one account.
7) Have fun, if its not fun, change something till it is.
8) When its time for a character (or story arc or concept) to go, let them go or retire them, to do the next idea.

I could have a hundred alts right now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom