Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you feel about a map reset?

How do you feel about a Map Reset?

• Total voters
To be honest i like the idea of there being more space, but I'm against a full reset.

I would much rather see factions shrink rather than be wiped from the map.

And plus I've worked rather hard to shape and create a story in corner of space the last few months and don't want it being trumped and be said its civilization is wiped or anything done with it has to be redone. Especially since I'm almost done setting up all its technology, species, and culture within the next month.

Qae Shena

Super Shaper Puppy!
[member="Tefka"] - maybe? I don't even remember. I just remember upset people at losing their map sections. It's been a while. You'd know better.

And... a lot of people are saying 'it's about the story'.

I'ma just remind people of this: everything up to this point was story. I know a lot of people will get upset at someone pressing a button and undoing many, many portions of their core story. That's what the primary concern is, and you know what, it's a valid one. Some people won't recover from losing that stuff, and I don't blame 'em.

Alva Calvarona said:
To be honest i like the idea of there being more space, but I'm against a full reset.

I would much rather see factions shrink significantly rather than be wiped from the map.

And plus I've worked rather hard to shape and create a story in corner of space the last few months and don't want it being trumped and be said its civilization is wiped or anything done with it has to be redone. Especially since I'm almost done setting up all its technology, species, and culture within the next month.

This. Is gold. A way to simply shrink HUGE factions slightly, and purge inactive ones. Might require slightly more work on an story level, but its plausible.

HK-36

The Iron Lord Protector (Neutral Good)
[member="Solan Charr"],

That's why I'm so passionate about this,

This past week or two I worked my ass off to bring OP from stagnation, stayed up to 4 am while I had a break from my job, I recruited, I started threads and drafted storylines everyday, one of them was making Protectorate's Political Scene relevant again, which included making Feena Exarch of Naboo to take part in my reformed OP policies because she enjoys political RP and intrigue, so I wanted to provide her and others like Anya, Delila, or Darrel with a solid Political Scene to do their RP and make it something great. But it's all planet-based so with the reset everything I worked for these past weeks is gone unless I would be able to reclaim the planets, but I can't be assured of that, so some of my friends are now saying they might leave if their planets end up with other factions because we had a really good thing going and we were looking forward to it.

I think somebody probably suggested this before, but why don't we scale the galactic map down as a hole, and start going out past the Rishi Maze and the Unknown Regions as actual territory?

Terribly unoriginal, I know, but it's way better than resetting 99% of the character plot that's happened so far.

Qae Shena said:
[member="Tefka"] - maybe? I don't even remember. I just remember upset people at losing their map sections. It's been a while. You'd know better.
Couple of Staff members told me we gave the territory back and a cloud boost at the end of the Clockwork event.

Beowoof

Morality Policeman :)
I would like to see a sort of map wipe without a faction wipe. A lot of people have put hard work into their empires.

My issue is that there are so many stagnant factions and they're just sitting on territory, and while they're doing nothing with it, there aren't many neutral worlds left to just mess around with on little adventures.

So I'd like to see rebellion rules reinstated. This would help reset the map, in a sense, if people get together to threaten factions from the inside. The dominion/invade format is too two-dimensional. Both of the canon movie wars began as rebellions from within, and I don't see why that wouldn't work today. It would preserve storylines across the board and hopefully spur more activity. It would also give more RP options to players who want to impact the galaxy, especially political RPers.

I don't like the multiple maps formula, however. It's just going to distract people with alternate timelines and thin out the writer concentration even further.

HK-36

The Iron Lord Protector (Neutral Good)
[member="Strider Garon"],

Then I hope you could back me up when I'll say,

For me this is not just about loosing territory, although regaining that would be a huge pain in the ass and annoyance,

It's about possibly loosing RP and storylines with writers I actually enjoy writing with

Beowoof said:
I would like to see a sort of map wipe without a faction wipe.
Confirming we're not messing with/destroying Factions, not in the context of the map reset. Obviously, Major Faction territory is on the table, but not the organization and establishment of the Factions themselves.

If you're a member of the Lords of the Fringe right now, we're not going to tell you you can't be a Fringer after the (POSSIBLE) reset.

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
Some of the guys have a point though, stagnation will sooner or later always be a thing. With or without the map reset is it possible to somehow ease up the way people gain and lose territory to make things more 'dynamic'?

sabrina

Strider Garon said:
So, we just keep pressing the reset button every-time the map gets full? Is this what we have to look forward to after we invested time into our factions?
This is true, a possible way round this is to expanded the map significantly during the reset. This may incorporate as part of galactic event, say possibility of having another galaxy collide. As well as revisit the rebellion rules, and may have look other possible ideas during this. To prevent a full reset bing needed again.

Lord Ghoul

L
Asterion said:
A reset wouldn't mean the end of anyone's hard work etc, it would just be a nice chance to give everyone, new and old, new chances to make new allies and enemies.
Those are mutually exclusive. A reset would inherently remove all the territory and borders which people have worked toward. I know some people don't care about those, but there are people who have spent a lot of time leading factions and developing borders etc. For instance, the Republic is flagging right now after their capital was taken etc. Resetting that would wipe all of that away.

Would it give an opportunity to new characters? Well not really. There are several reasons.

1. Starting Point

New characters start as acolytes and apprentices. They aren't leading factions. So by definition they'd still be the mooks of more veteran players/higher ranked. I started as a Sith Acolyte who ran around following Ashin and Kaine's orders when the map was nowhere close to this full. I enjoyed it, but even though there was a ton of open space it didn't really give me as a new player a lot of ability to be my own little snowflake. That came within the development of the pre-existing structures.

2. Factions Still Exist

You get rid of the current territory the only thing that will happen is the current hegemonic structures re-exerting their influence and redoing a bunch of dominions.

For instance, the One Sith has a large player base. You wipe out their territory, sure, but they still have that player base. Now take a new faction that's given a new opportunity by the open space. That new faction inherently has a low member base and gets quashed by the One Sith who can dominion faster and win invasions with their numerical superiority.

There won't really be a change post-reset. The big factions like the Republic and Sith will just reestablish themselves, probably under the same leadership.

3. Territory = Friends?

The claim that loss of territory equates to new friends, allies or enemies seems a little odd on face. How exactly is the absence of a mandalorian orange blob on the map going to gain me new friends? Those come with roleplaying, which happens regardless of the territory situation. However, I expect a drop in invasions and a rise in dominions if this reset occurs. Larger participation occurs in invasions, for instance the first thread I joined as a new member was an invasion because I found it the most accessible.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, but obviously I'm not in charge of any factions nor in any positions of leadership. No bias here, just my feeling of how it will play out. I also happen to prefer invasions over the slew of dominions that would occur post-reset.

sexy-damon-salvatore-22791183-500-275.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom