Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you feel about a map reset?

How do you feel about a Map Reset?

• Total voters
Personally I'm on the fence about a map reset. I don't think the map should just reset itself for no reason however that said if it could be conceivably integrated into a galactic event I don't think it would be a bad thing. There are numerous reasons for factions to fracture/splinter and lose their influence or contact over different reasons. Simply put as an example if a capital is taken that could conceivably reset an entire faction as the government fractures as well and the possibility of lost communication between worlds or areas arises. Only one possibility.

If it's done right I am all for it. I do not believe the map should be wiped clean just for the sake of it though.

I think a total reset is a very bad thing. It would destabilize a huge amount of companies and make all our dominions unravel.

I know that you have stated companies have no say but consider this. If every company had to redo their submissions because it wouldn't make sense to be there, then you'd have a huge flood of company edits in the factory and the judges would be overwhelmed.

I think it would awesome, to see factions that are ghost status cut in half, or downsized.

I also like HK's idea of making a whole new map and letting us colonize it. This would bring a flood of planets to the codex however. Additional temp staff could be rustled up to help facilitate if that's the case.

A third option to simply expand the map's edges and put staff made or custom made planets there.

jHG-wipe-them-out-meme.jpg

HK-36

The Iron Lord Protector (Neutral Good)
I would suggest to make a third option which I would feel that would satisfy both parties, create an intergalactic gateway or gateways ICly like a wormhole in Interstellar (which could be the subject of the upcoming event) and make another map, this time completely empty and we can start populating it with custom planets made via the Codex we already have established.

Those who have invested with Major Factions and their storylines are based around planets and their factions will not loose their progress nor stories they have written, making them happy.

Those who wish to expand, write about exploration, discovery, living on the Fringe of civilizations, can do so in more or less new lawless Galaxy where the only present civilizations are colonies of the Major Powers in Old Galaxy, conflicting each other over who will colonize more land and perhaps wage Colonial wars, something akin to Americas at the beginning of their colonization.

Also, you could reinstate the Rebellion rules at the same time.

In spoiler the quote of my first proposal for it,

Yeah that seems the most troubling to me, especially with major factions that would be a lot of work going down the drain, I mean who would really want to do all those dominions all over again? Especially if speed dominions were involved to get a planet faster than the other guy.

For OP and Republic I think that would be especially suck-y because our political positions are based on planets being in our territory, like Exarchs of Kaeshana, Naboo, Abregado, Thyfera, Observers of Druckenwell, Yag'Dhul, Sullustan, those are all positions already filled by PC's or with storylines active where their PC's will take position of governing these planets, because I'm trying to launch a strong active political scene in OP for those who like to write that type of RP. Map wipe would cause all of that to just disappear and there is no guarantee we would get those planets back for the people who invested themselves in there, like for Abregado and Kaeshana I know we put tons of codex and tech subs to expand on how the regimes look there, making their time spend writing those stories and settings wasted.

And that is just one faction, I do not think that would be a solution that in the end gets implemented, because it may make one group happy, but another group really angry and disappointed. At least I hope it will not get implemented.

Instead I would propose to make a second map, completely empty, of a Galaxy nearest to ours, I know that characters like Jorus Merril have already been RP'ing sending probes to explore other Galaxies and if a doorway or travel between one Galaxy and other would be made possible, well I would consider that to be more of a plausible stretch ICly than map being restarted.

Then each major faction could choose a planet or three in this new Galaxy to establish a foothold, their colonies, each dominion would be a new planet explored, described, and an outpost or colony settled there, each planet would be custom and approved through our Codex, we could put it to a really good use that way instead of just making our map more crowded.

With that compromise both groups would be happy as our factions already established in Old Galaxy would keep their territories and can continue to write their stories, and those who wish to explore, discover, settle new planets, write more stories about the frontier, and expand can do so in the New Galaxy, it would be our America. America-Galactica.

Plus if we would fill a map completely with custom planets then we would have a stronger connection to it, as we saw it being written, or wrote it ourselves. Plus let's be honest, we can make way more detailed submissions than some articles on Wookieepedia.

Qae Shena

Super Shaper Puppy!
I'm not a fan of it. I mean, sure, I've put some work into dominions, but that's less of a concern for me. Whatever on that one.

For me, it's the fact that collectively there is a lot of work into this. We've got years of history and work on that map, we've got custom planets, there's a stack of effort, there are character-centric plots and generally a huge amount of roleplaying based on what we had. I feel that a reset, while it would level the playing field, would essentially undo all the writing that's gone into the past couple years and make all the hard work that these major factions have put in for nothing. I know it'd be a big loss to a lot of people.

As was stated by [member="Colap Ticon"], there'd have to be a lot of work around it. Subs and companies redone, personal and integral plots revamped just to suit a changed Galaxy. It's a lot of work - and personally I don't think a reset is worth the drama.

Maybe if the current MFs got a chunk of the map scaled to their current holdings, it'd be reasonable - but that's about it.

Now, on the flip side....

What if there was a Galactic Event that caused such a thing to happen? De-stabilization of entire government and factions to such an extent that territories began eroding? We're not talking the level of the Gulag plague, although I think it would bring a unique level of mortality to the Galaxy as a whole but something to just take the well seated established base and scramble it up.

You could tie the two of them together to make it more fun for people, so that way everyone is focusing on positive things instead of "Ugh, I'm losing territory..."

I say RP it out, get the next Galactic event goin, something so threatening and big that it will demand unity of all factions. If the factions cant set aside their differences after a time then change the galaxy in a way, in this case the structures of power would crumble and start over. OR the Factions to come together and face this threat and win or end with a draw, THey deal with their mass of losses and restart.

Id love a map restart, but id personally like it to no be spontaneous and random

HK-36 said:
I would suggest to make a third option which I would feel that would satisfy both parties, create an intergalactic gateway or gateways ICly like a wormhole in Interstellar (which could be the subject of the upcoming event) and make another map, this time completely empty and we can start populating it with custom planets made via the Codex we already have established.

Those who have invested with Major Factions and their storylines are based around planets and their factions will not loose their progress nor stories they have written, making them happy.

Those who wish to expand, write about exploration, discovery, living on the Fringe of civilizations, can do so in more or less new lawless Galaxy where the only present civilizations are colonies of the Major Powers in Old Galaxy, conflicting each other over who will colonize more land and perhaps wage Colonial wars, something akin to Americas at the beginning of their colonization.

Also, you could reinstate the Rebellion rules at the same time.

In spoiler the quote of my first proposal for it,

Yeah that seems the most troubling to me, especially with major factions that would be a lot of work going down the drain, I mean who would really want to do all those dominions all over again? Especially if speed dominions were involved to get a planet faster than the other guy.

For OP and Republic I think that would be especially suck-y because our political positions are based on planets being in our territory, like Exarchs of Kaeshana, Naboo, Abregado, Thyfera, Observers of Druckenwell, Yag'Dhul, Sullustan, those are all positions already filled by PC's or with storylines active where their PC's will take position of governing these planets, because I'm trying to launch a strong active political scene in OP for those who like to write that type of RP. Map wipe would cause all of that to just disappear and there is no guarantee we would get those planets back for the people who invested themselves in there, like for Abregado and Kaeshana I know we put tons of codex and tech subs to expand on how the regimes look there, making their time spend writing those stories and settings wasted.

And that is just one faction, I do not think that would be a solution that in the end gets implemented, because it may make one group happy, but another group really angry and disappointed. At least I hope it will not get implemented.

Instead I would propose to make a second map, completely empty, of a Galaxy nearest to ours, I know that characters like Jorus Merril have already been RP'ing sending probes to explore other Galaxies and if a doorway or travel between one Galaxy and other would be made possible, well I would consider that to be more of a plausible stretch ICly than map being restarted.

Then each major faction could choose a planet or three in this new Galaxy to establish a foothold, their colonies, each dominion would be a new planet explored, described, and an outpost or colony settled there, each planet would be custom and approved through our Codex, we could put it to a really good use that way instead of just making our map more crowded.

With that compromise both groups would be happy as our factions already established in Old Galaxy would keep their territories and can continue to write their stories, and those who wish to explore, discover, settle new planets, write more stories about the frontier, and expand can do so in the New Galaxy, it would be our America. America-Galactica.

Plus if we would fill a map completely with custom planets then we would have a stronger connection to it, as we saw it being written, or wrote it ourselves. Plus let's be honest, we can make way more detailed submissions than some articles on Wookieepedia.
Eh, I'm not too sure about this bit. I agree with you and can understand a Galactic event tying into the Map Wipe but taking something and making a new Galaxy to conquer/colonize creates more work for Staff/Judges as a whole. More submissions and more items to monitor when we already have an expansive Galaxy as a whole already with enough player created content.

HK-36

The Iron Lord Protector (Neutral Good)
[member="Aaralyn Rekali"],

But would it really create more work than the company modifications and such already mentioned?

People will make tech subs no matter what, they will make planet subs no matter what, just look at the amount we already have on the map

Qae Shena said:
[member="Aaralyn Rekali"] - so, Clockwork Round 2?
I wasn't here for any Galactic Events, but from what I read, sure.

You can make things different than others. You just have to take the time to gauge what people desire.

An ancient threat? Force sensitives suffering from an unknown disease (Obviously normal people wouldn't suffer under this type of thing.) A paranormal type threat that possesses people and makes them go insane? Or even an zombie esque (or non) like the virus that wiped out the Katana Fleet crew.

HK-36 said:
[member="Aaralyn Rekali"],

But would it really create more work than the company modifications and such already mentioned?

People will make tech subs no matter what, they will make planet subs no matter what, just look at the amount we already have on the map
Well regardless, you can't help subs and [member="Tefka"] just shot down the alternate map idea.

A new Galactic Event can create ideas for new ways to combat each other, threats and cure things that happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom