Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction Civil Unrest

Code Of Silence
Factory Judge
A slummy warehouse down a one-way street

Anakin Stormrunner Anakin Stormrunner Hoslin Koddar Samnai Rouber Samnai Rouber

Darkwire Operatives have been dispatched to rendezvous with members of the local population who’ve grown increasingly agitated by CorpSec Brutality. Their mission is to provide training in street tactics & defensive manuevers in order to resist further violence by CorpSec. Daylight is fading, but the city never sleeps.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The crowd was smaller than she’d hoped. The ones that had decided to show up were, she reminded herself, at least dedicated.

A small crowd had gathered in the center of the old building Darkwire Operations had provided. The building was nondescript, nigh forgotten - surrounded by remnants of the slums which had once permeated the entirety of the district. A number of alleyways, some only wide enough for a single sentient to walk through, connected the building to the rest of the district; others were so congested by refuse that to tread on foot would be neither safe or quiet. Only a single road allowed vehicle traffic and provided enough space for a few vehicles to park. Buildings overhead provided some cover from the air, and ample cover from the daylight; since mid-afternoon, the warehouse had been in shadow.

Ivory, as was her custom, was the first to arrive. She’d taken her time, grabbing a bite to eat at a noodle shop nearby, sipping a soft drink and blending in with her surroundings. She’d taken mental note of each and every passing vehicle & pedestrian, trusting in her ability to discern friend from foe - if she’d spied anything marking the location as “Hot” by CorpSec standards, she would have simply walked away and called the entire mission off…

But she hadn’t. So here they were.

All 28 of them.

She had taken a moment to remind herself that she’d done more with less before.

Most of them were human, though not all. She’d counted one Ugnaught, a female Togruta, and a Duros male who appeared to be the leader of the group. His name was Tiggrin Tolvarial; a name she recognized from her brief time on the streets of Denon. He was a power-player for the local community and a Water Quality activist who’d gone toe-to-toe with the Corpos in the past. The Duros was the first to meet her inside the building, and had given her the nod on everyone arriving after.

Most of the humans were male, but a few women had also arrived. Some might have been mothers, but most looked like children born of the streets. Most were middle-aged, but one of the human males was young… close to Anakin’s age, but she knew her fellow Shadowrunner was older than he appeared. She’d have to keep an eye on that one. A street fight was no place for youthful naivete.

She began by explaining to the group the power of Non-Violence (A strange concept coming from her, to be sure), and that their goals of resistance could be attained better through the use of hunger strikes or the occupation of important areas such as malls or transit hubs. Corpos, she explained, would be less likely to engage in violence if the general public supported the protests; “Make specific demands,” she explained, “Bargain for what you want.”

If a protest descended into violence, CorpSec would respond in kind. “You want the Media to champion your cause, not demonize it. Let CorpSec become violent first… and even if they do, be persistant. Defend yourselves, if necessary, but do not take lives. Or they will take yours.”

To this, she’d made a point to look every Sentient in the eye. There were murmurs and shuffling of appendages, but no argument. She went on to explain the value of allies in the Public Eye - individuals, even some in power, who’s aid could be obtained by following the philosophy of non-violence to the letter. “Even Corpos,” she’d reminded them, “Can be reasoned with sometimes.”

When she was certain her point had been made, she began talking about how, in certain cases, active resistance could be accomplished. And so, it began:

Delay your enemy by making their movements difficult. Place obstacles in their path. Make them fight for every inch of ground. Use shields and cover - be it home-made or natural - to conceal your movements and prevent them from causing casualties.

Disrupt your enemy’s communications, resources, patrols, and actions. Be where they do not expect. Never be where they expect. Take what you can from them; leave them no resources to use against you and use whatever resources they have against them.

Distract your enemy through organized chaos. Use your environment to your advantage; sewer systems, rooftops, buildings you control. Learn every inch of your neighborhood, then use that advantage to fight from places they can’t imagine. Fires, smoke, loud music or none at all, total darkness; all of these things become your friend when you can navigate your home blind-folded.

Disable your enemy by indirect attacks. Attack their vehicles before personnel. Seek to anger them, but not to the point of murder. Engage them emotionally, but never, ever let them see you bleed.

These four words were the centerpoint of her lesson.

Using a small holo-projector placed in the center of the large open space, Ivory had erected a mockup of a city block; complete with buildings, alleyways, roads, dead ends, vehicles, barricades, and the like. She’d even managed to insert a few images of flickering holographic fires - a refuse container or two, an overturned vehicle, and a building bellowing smoke from its lowest-story windows.

“Corpos, like most Para-Military organizations, are generally used to working in smaller groups. The greatest advantage you have is your familiarity with the neighborhoods you live in.” She’d explained. “Air Superiority means little in confined spaces. That’s especially useful if you can find some way to confuse them, or make communication difficult. One useful tactic is wearing similar clothing - a uniform, if you will. Raggedy clothing, the same color hat, or the same color scarf. Hit & Run tactics are key in this kind of environment - your enemy only glimpses you for a moment before you vanish and another takes your place.”

She illustrated this on the holo by inserting pedestrians (colored in grey), friendlies (in green), and CorpSec (In Red). Friendlies would inter-mingle with pedestrians, or if pedestrians were few or non-existant, would utilize the labyrinth of back alleys to flank, approach, attack, and disengage.

“The goal is to keep moving!” She said, punctuating the lesson by animating a group of friendlies remaining for too long in one location and being overtaken. “CorpSec, like the CSB on Coruscant, know from experience that they cannot take to the back streets to fight an insurgency. Typically, their goal is to either protect a location or take control of an area. By wearing similar clothing, you rob them of the chance to chase down & capture a single person.”

“What if they just start firing wildly?” One of the men in the group asked, eliciting murmurs in the crowd.

“Well… if you’ve made them angry enough that they start doing that, it means you’re succeeding in your goal.”

“Which is?” Another asked, with a confused look.

Ivory eyed the woman carefully before cracking a smile.

“Your goal should be to break their will to fight. The same thing they try to do to you.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

When she'd finished her portion of the lesson, she gave her companions the floor and approached the Ugnaught - a tiny, bearded creature with a sour face and bushy eyebrows who regarded her with mild suspicion. After a hushed conversation with the Sentient, the two of them retired to a corner of the building where they would remain for some time.

Ivory was accustomed to the Ugnaught's industrious, crafty nature and sought to harness it.​

Last edited:
Gluk, Stock, and Two Smoking Lasers
Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud

Now that had been a most impressive presentation. Here came Jerec with a significantly less impressive one.

"For what it's worth," he said, plopping a huge duffel bag where the holoprojector had been, "I totally support what our friend there said, just all that material. Me, I'm here to talk gadgets, more or less."

First up: a CorpSec tear gas grenade, a collapsible orange flimsiplast traffic cone, and a cheap water bottle.

"Those of you who already know this crap, just ignore me. For procurement reasons, Corpos use five different kinds of irritants, tear gas, in these grenades. Sometimes coma gas or stronger stuff."

He pulled the pin. A few seconds later, tear gas sprayed out from one end. In a heartbeat Jerec put the traffic cone over the grenade and his hand over the aperture on top. The room got a faint spicy whiff and nothing more. The chem agent inside was pretty mild tonight, enclosed spaces and all that. Jerec gripped the water bottle's cap with one of his neckgills to undo it. He shoved the open bottle's mouth under his palm and emptied it into the traffic cone.

When he tossed aside the empty bottle and removed his hand from the cone's aperture, no more gas emerged. Cloudy water sloshed out from under the cone and off the edge of the table.

"Simple as that, works with anything short of nerve gas. Collapsible traffic cone, water bottle, total cost ten ucks retail — and who pays retail for a traffic cone? I've set up side rooms with tear gas, cones, water bottles, fans, and emergency eye flush gear so you good folks can practice."

The good folks in question split off for a few minutes to practice.

Samnai looked over at the gathered people. It was silent as she walked to the center of the room, where she stood with arms folded. She thought back to the protests she had seen in her homeland—violent, desperate, and always, always ending in failure. The boot on their feeble backs never left, not even when she left that place.

She will make sure this group won’t fall to the same boots.

Taking a deep breath, she begins her speech. “The Corpos will do anything to make you submit. Anything, and the more they can shove you all under the rug, the better. What you want to do is not, under any circumstances, submit.”

Samnai pauses, the wary crowd watching her. “But they are better equipped than you, more experienced, more powerful, and of course, they can turn the entire planet against you if they wish to. Frankly, the odds are against you. However, even the rustiest dagger can hurt, and while—as Miss Ivory said—violence should be the absolute last resort, but you can defend yourself, and should—whether by physical means or otherwise. I will focus on the non-physical means.”

She bends down to her brown bag and pulls out a black headgear, goggles, and a mask, whose metallic bands shine even in the dim light. Holding them up so everyone can see, she says, “First—and I cannot emphasize this enough—hide your identity. There will be always be hope and ways but they can all be blocked off if the Corpos know your face. It will also help protect your face from whatever they throw at you. Prioritize hiding your eyes above all else.”

She puts up a hologram of her prepared speech, all shortened to simple points. “Next, wear simple clothing. Tear off whatever identifiers there are on it, you don’t want them to track you with that. If you can, wear something metallic or hard underneath your clothes. It won’t protect you from an air-strike but it will protect you from simple bullets. Wear gloves, too.”

“What if we can’t assemble all of it in time?” A human male points out.

“I was about to talk about it. Shielding yourself in the crowd is the second-best option if you bring nothing, which hopefully you don’t. Use your hands to cover your head and body, and substitute if you can’t find something. Anything is better than nothing, but don’t wear something that sticks out. Do not stick out, or they will descend upon you like vultures.”

The crowd murmurs as they plan.

“Bring umbrellas or fans to protect yourself more. They can also be used as weapons if it comes to it, though don’t try to fight too much if you are not experienced. And that brings me to my final point : Run away if you feel like your life is in danger. Grab others if you want to, but don’t let the Corpos catch you. When you have to leave, try not to go to your own home for the day and instead take twists and turns to mislead anyone following you. Don’t keep anything that could identify you as an individual on you, at all.”

There is silence when she finishes, the crowd watching her. Realising this is the most she spoke in a month, Samnai coughs awkwardly and begins to pack up. “That’s it. Any questions?”

No one speaks.

“Right. I am uh…there if you need me.” She moves off to give the stage to the next person.

Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr

Griss Tallow

G
Next up was a crap-tier Mando in beat-up armor.

"I go by Sur'haai," said Griss. "I run the Denon Drej Report, if you've seen that. I'm here to talk about cameras. First off: the average datapad has more than enough camera functionality for what you need. I've got a rig built into my helmet, but that's Mandos for ya." She held up a basic datapad. "Why's a camera important?"

A Vratix raised a claw. "Documenting what the Corposz do. Footage of beatingsz."

"Yes, absolutely. Being ready to record something secretly or openly is a huge accountability tool. Can someone give me an example of when you'd want to record something secretly or openly?"

A hefty Houk folded scarred arms. "Seeing a camera might make'em back off. Or might turn them on you. Depends how fired up they are, how many they've got, how many you've got."

Griss nodded with vigor. The forward edge of her helmet clanked on her breastplate. "Yup. Openly recording CorpSec is always a risk, always — but it's a real powerful tool in the right situation. Me, I default to recording secretly, and only make it obvious if there's a win that warrants the risk. If CorpSec is beating someone to death, for example. But that's me. I'm a Mando in Mando armor, which means I've got the privilege of looking like a riot baton won't intimidate me and a gas grenade won't make me retreat." She gestured vaguely at Samnai Rouber Samnai Rouber . "She's got the right idea. Armor up. Keep it low-profile, but you'll never regret having more armor under your clothes rather than less. Over your clothes too, if it's the right situation, if you're ready to ditch it. Word to the wise: CorpSec love to consider it provocation and crime when you wear gloves with hard knuckles, whether or not you use'em. 'Weapons,' quote-unquote. So again, be sure to be intentional about what you're prepping for and what you think it might provoke. But you can get an awful lot of performance out of magazines and duct tape and speeder bike helmets and work boots...

"Sorry about the armor tangent, folks. Mando thing."

Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud

Hoslin Koddar

H

RENT A COP
EQUIPMENT: Hoplite Body Armor, Wrist-Band, Lodestone Device, Three Terminus Shiv, Pair of Kusak Heavy Blaster Pistols, Voxyn Charric Rifle, Pair of Blackout Batons
TAGS: Ivory Stroud

He wasn't exactly sure he was supposed to be here, but he was. And even being rented security, he and a few others didn't like some of the chit the corpos had up their sleeves for the people beneath them. He was wearing private security armor, kitted out as most likely some had seen the lesser enforcers dressed in at times. Credits were credits, but even credits couldn't squash morals.

His stepping up to present was met with a light hassling from the crowd as he held his hands up.

"Hey hey, alright. I know I am a posterboy for the things you are trying to fight against but hear me out." Hoslin explained before he pointed to himself. "I'm private security. I work the lower end contracts and they all suck. None of them are worth my life, and I am not gonna send you to the hospital."

"The Corpo guards though. They won't hesitate to do so. They will come down on you like a storm, and single you out. Do not let them get you alone. Keep each other in sight, have each other's back. The corpo guards by themselves are nothing to sneeze at but they aren't unstoppable. They don't use high end military gear, it just looks like it." He explained as he pointed to his own gear.

"If worse comes to worse, you need to know that you can take them down without having to really hurt them." Trailing off, he pulled on the shoulder of his armor, a hiss snapping the pieces off as he made a broad gesture to it. "Most of them will be shoulder to shoulder, but when they swarm, you swarm. Take off that armor, take away their strength."

Dropping the chest piece to the floor, he shrugged the other pieces off before smiling at them.

"Wearing armor-" He gave a look to the mando that had been on stage previously. "No insult intended-makes these chit heads feel invincible. Makes them think they are the baddest of the bad. You get that off them, that safety is gone from their mind." Picking up his gear, he moved along to the side before stepping back a moment.

"You can get a good luck at this stuff off to the side and compare. Some might be wearing different stuff, but cheapest is the corpos bread and butter." He gave an awkward, armful of stuff wave before stepping to the side.

Code Of Silence
Factory Judge
Hoslin Koddar Griss Tallow Jerec Asyr Jerec Asyr Samnai Rouber Samnai Rouber

By the sounds of things in the warehouse beyond, the others had each taken their turn - providing a wealth of information to the small group. Ivory, herself, had been hard at work... Some time had passed, which allowed her & the grey-haired Ugnaught (Named Gikurl Knovko, a name she'd at first had difficulty pronouncing) to spend some time discussing some ideas for make-shift weapons and tools which might be crafted for the assembled group.

Alongside that, she'd even potentially secured a deal which would see the Ugnaught set up in his own shop, along with the necessary tools & equipment (Out of Ivory's own pocket) to supply the poorer communities of Denon with basic tools and weapons. It would take some time to establish, but with help, she imagined word would spread.

She would even offer some security for the small creature, so that he would feel protected. If anyone came looking for him, they would find much worse than an Ugnaught and the poor. There had been some noise from the backroom - of hammering, and some power tools which they'd found left in an old box in a back storage room.

When Ivory rejoined the group, she did so alongside her new friend. Gikurl was practically beaming; a strange sight to see of an Ugnaught, to be sure. In their arms were an assortment of items which they'd fashioned quickly... not entirely constructed, however, but done well enough that the displays would serve as a proof of concept.

Among them were:

A piece of thin metal siding with leather straps riveted into it, which would serve as a make-shift shield against non-lethal projectiles.
Similar pieces of metal siding, cut length-wise then attached again by leather strips which could be cinched down using an old nail to hold them
Short wooden clubs with long screws drilled into the heads of their shafts
and two caltrops, fashioned from old nails.

Ivory and her companion set these items on a short table near the group, then grinned at each-other and rejoined the collective.

"Well... It sounds like everyone has gotten some good training, so far. Are there any questions?

"What the hell is that old junk?" The teenage boy she'd first marked as possible trouble spoke up - the first time she'd heard a word from him yet. Ivory (and a few others) turned to look at him. While some of his fellows shot him icy stares, Ivory just regarded him coolly.

"These." She said, "may give you an edge when you have none. Thanks to your friend here." She reached down and touched the small Ugnaught on the shoulder. The little man had been staring daggers at the young man, and he started at Ivory's tough - looking up at her, shocked for a moment, before seeming to blush.

She went on to explain the uses of the things they'd cobbled together. It wasn't much... but it was a start.

She requested one of her armored friends to join her, demonstrating the metal bracers (measured to fit her own forearms) and how the bracers could be used to deflect or protect from blows against blunt attacks. She even donned her jacket, concealing the bracers, then demonstrated the same deflection maneuvers. This elicited a buzz in the assembled group as they began to talk amongst themselves for a few moments.

That done, she asked Gikurl to demonstrate another item: The shield, which just-so-happened to be his height and width. Hiding behind it, he was completely concealed. To everyone's surprise, as they were watching the Ugnaught grip the shield and set himself behind it, Ivory had wandered to one side and retrieved an old lug-nut which had been discarded once.

Out of nowhere, the piece of metal flew with accuracy & force, striking the front of the shield with a loud CLANG. Everybody jumped - including Gikurl, who'd only shifted slightly with the impact but remained unharmed. When everyone turned to face the raven-haired woman, her arms were crossed over her chest and she was smiling.

When a few people began to move toward the table and retrieve the short, heavy bats and inspect the caltrops, Ivory did not stop them.

She also did not notice when the young man disappeared.

As one of the students today, Skeevi took notes in their sketchbook, sandwitched between holotattoo designs and Jawaese profanity. The notes, in summary form:
  • Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud 's first session: CorpSec break will to fight — goal m'gasha shootagawa?
  • Jerec Asyr's session: Traffic cone and bottle — any fluid? Flammable?
  • Samnai Rouber Samnai Rouber 's session: Leave coat at home. MAYBE cut braid off?
  • Griss Tallow's session: Cameras yes. Cameras no? Cameras yes. Cameras no?
  • Hoslin Koddar's session: Uwanna ibana dooka, m'tuskwa CorpSec opakwa
  • And Stroud's second session: Upakwa bom'loo keeza, utinni

Gluk, Stock, and Two Smoking Lasers
Jerec's turn again. He led the session while fiddling with some of Ivory Stroud's caltrops.

"Let's talk about going to ground. Doesn't matter how good you are or how many fighters you bring, sooner or later CorpSec will drop overwhelming force on you. Nothing more important than prepping a way out — for yourself, for anyone you're directly responsible for, and for injured people. CorpSec knows this, and they like to bottle you up: block all exit routes and crush you.

"Your biggest asset here is Denon itself. Our beloved planet is a three-dimensional ancient multilayered ecumenopolis with more interstitial spaces than my heart after a breakup. Between any two given levels or structures you might find any number of grimy little spaces where nobody but skittlers has set foot in a thousand years. I know I'm preaching to the choir for the shadowrunners among us, but anyone can squeeze in there, even someone my size. Scout those spaces beforehand, or make friends who know'em.

"Speaking of making friends, this is where community comes in. Sooner or later, all of you are gonna need a place to hide for an hour or a week. Don't waste folks' trust, don't take them for granted, don't put them at unnecessary risk.

"Oh, and don't be fething ingrates if they risk their lives and freedom to hide you somewhere disgusting. CorpSec doesn't check gray tanks."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom