Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question Where does Chaos go from here?

I would like to see a revamp of how Minor factions work.

There are many kinds be that as small governments looking to become major to those who are groups who wish to stay minor while wishing, man it'd be cool if we could have a marker on the map.

I don't see Minor factions been able to hold territory in the grand scale that a major could however markers would be cool. Almost similar to how Majors have their capital world. I feel like that kinda small flair would be awesome and could lead to some new dynamics especially how some Minor factions pump so much in a world to develop lore and in a choas sense historically change it.

I just think in the grand scale things are good, so perhaps work on the smaller guys?

This is my idea's/opinions

Second King of The Elysium Empire
I would like to see a revamp of how Minor factions work.

There are many kinds be that as small governments looking to become major to those who are groups who wish to stay minor while wishing, man it'd be cool if we could have a marker on the map.

I don't see Minor factions been able to hold territory in the grand scale that a major could however markers would be cool. Almost similar to how Majors have their capital world. I feel like that kinda small flair would be awesome and could lead to some new dynamics especially how some Minor factions pump so much in a world to develop lore and in a choas sense historically change it.

I just think in the grand scale things are good, so perhaps work on the smaller guys?

This is my idea's/opinions

Yes, I agree with this. Maybe an outlined but not shaded hex, or a little flag on said hex.

I’m actively seeking your opinions, you don’t have to declare it like we’re redditbating lol.

I think it’s good but again calls for manual labor. I’ve also historically maintained the line that Majors get on the map, Minors don’t, with Rebellions being the sole exception that wasn’t really an exception. My main support is behind the idea that Minor factions should get some love, but it’s just so hard to manage. Most Minor Factions that drive this lane are like, solo exclusionary extremely niche Minor Factions. A solo player who wants his Minecraft castle on Utapau, so he creates a Minor faction since there is no regulation and private threads his way to relevance. While this is cool, and I love the idea of building your sandcastle, they get mad when the Major that controls Utapau slaps him with property tax or uses the location without asking. Then Staff is the bad guy when we tell him the Major was in their right to do it and realistically speaking, he is at their mercy.

It doesn’t breed cooperation - it encourages the opposite. For full on story immersion you have to accept the consequences of the bigger galaxy. That’s why we don’t support the Minor Factions as fully as we could, because their first (and with the removal of Rebellions, only) line of defense is to run to Staff when someone else plays with toys they pretend are only there for them.

I’m actively seeking your opinions, you don’t have to declare it like we’re redditbating lol.

I think it’s good but again calls for manual labor. I’ve also historically maintained the line that Majors get on the map, Minors don’t, with Rebellions being the sole exception that wasn’t really an exception. My main support is behind the idea that Minor factions should get some love, but it’s just so hard to manage. Most Minor Factions that drive this lane are like, solo exclusionary extremely niche Minor Factions. A solo player who wants his Minecraft castle on Utapau, so he creates a Minor faction since there is no regulation and private threads his way to relevance. While this is cool, and I love the idea of building your sandcastle, they get mad when the Major that controls Utapau slaps him with property tax or uses the location without asking. Then Staff is the bad guy when we tell him the Major was in their right to do it and realistically speaking, he is at their mercy.

It doesn’t breed cooperation - it encourages the opposite. For full on story immersion you have to accept the consequences of the bigger galaxy. That’s why we don’t support the Minor Factions as fully as we could, because their first (and with the removal of Rebellions, only) line of defense is to run to Staff when someone else plays with toys they pretend are only there for them.

I see where you are coming from defiantly, and I do understand that this could be a thing that would pop up. This is why I think if it was aloud that it would have to be clearly shown that if a major gets that hex its them who owns the territory.

In a way to put it in a example. Major factions are landlords, Minor factions are just the tenants who rent a space. It the land lord owns that building there is nothing stopping them from evicting. However with the board on a different path from a few years ago and seeing a lot more cooperation, I personally thing its worth dipping to toe in the water and see how it would go.

I think the change like this could benefit factions like darkwire, independent clans and crime syndicates,small governments who desire to remain neutral that don't wanna hook up with the big guys. In a way I feel like it could also drive story between the small guy and big guys too. I like to think there is potential worth looking at.

small governments who desire to remain neutral that don't wanna hook up with the big guys.

You can't remain neutral if someone else owns your territory was the point of my last post.

I also don't see much change between a few years ago and today's "path", Major Faction Owners have always been required to cooperate. How happy they are about that waxes and wanes, sure, but since what - 2014 - very little in the trajectory of the forum has changed. We can have all the cool new bells and whistles we want, but the Chaos foundation that was laid hasn't changed a single brick.

I could probably name a dozen threads in our history having this exact same discussion, of minors being included on the map. It doesn't have anything to do with today's culture, it has everything to do with how the environment was designed upon conception. Majors on the map, Minors are the background threads. Majors own massive armies, government sized organizations - Minors are ranged from gangs to small militias, but are specifically written as "not having the tools to oppose a Major."

It's five people. You just need five writers. That's it. We've even discussed dropping it to three, even though we're not declining in writer population, to help skyrocket diversity.

But we also aren't really lacking in the diversity department, either. We have ten Majors right now. That's pretty legit, in my eyes. I don't know what anyone else's expectation has been but I think our max Majors at any given time has been what, like 12-14? For all time. With the map being maybe 60% filled up with clouds as of today.

When you tell me you "want to stay neutral but don't want to hook up with the big guys", I hear "I don't want consequences to my actions." It's that simple for me. You could definitely go neutral and play Sweden. You could just occupy a single hex and chill. You just need it to be exciting and draw in a few other writers to write with, because ultimately post-by-post writing is not inherently a solo adventure. It can be, I don't care, but don't expect me to be your personal secretary updating a map to represent your toys. I'm not here to do that, I don't want to do that.

So just go Major. Take the leap. It's not that bad, and a lot of these cats make it way harder than it needs to be. You can literally ignore all the rumor mills and gossip and chicken clucking and just do your thing and invite stories.

And imagine this, you're not even required to have a Discord to do it. Imagine how much easier everyone's life would be if Chaos was just about the writing.

Matt the Radar Tech

ꜰɪxɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ʀᴀᴅᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ sᴛᴜꜰꜰ
You can't remain neutral if someone else owns your territory was the point of my last post.

I also don't see much change between a few years ago and today's "path", Major Faction Owners have always been required to cooperate. How happy they are about that waxes and wanes, sure, but since what - 2014 - very little in the trajectory of the forum has changed. We can have all the cool new bells and whistles we want, but the Chaos foundation that was laid hasn't changed a single brick.

I could probably name a dozen threads in our history having this exact same discussion, of minors being included on the map. It doesn't have anything to do with today's culture, it has everything to do with how the environment was designed upon conception. Majors on the map, Minors are the background threads. Majors own massive armies, government sized organizations - Minors are ranged from gangs to small militias, but are specifically written as "not having the tools to oppose a Major."

It's five people. You just need five writers. That's it. We've even discussed dropping it to three, even though we're not declining in writer population, to help skyrocket diversity.

If you drop it to 3, I'll make a Vong major.

Matt the Radar Tech

ꜰɪxɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ʀᴀᴅᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ sᴛᴜꜰꜰ
I can’t be bribed because I don’t care.

Fair. I'm not surprised.

Anyway, ideas:

I did wonder if maybe there's another themed release potential, like the underworld/criminal update, which could be done? Maybe another not-as-prominent area such as governments or senates or an area along those lines. Or something. Just another aspect to SW that might not pertain to the Force, but promote those other areas (the boon to criminal orgs was pretty good). Doesn't have to include a new currency, of course, but maybe some element that could have MF's effect some kind of vote or boost to some mandate or faction war ruling for a period of time (like once a quarter, or something)?

An angle to play into the legislation/governing element, basically.

Or other areas/niches, if the Force itself isn't a theme update that's wanted (or even a Force theme update, if it is!).

Regarding a map (and with no knowledge of how easily you can add or adjust it, beyond hex coloring), could resources on specific hexes be a thing? Similar to the gates? Maybe deposits of rare elements or boons for having a hex could be fun? I realize it's all pretend and people can have whatever they want, basically, anyway but adding some aspect that could influence hexes to aim for or fight over might be fun?

It would just be fluff, unless some further plan made those resources important, though the removal of restricted things does make the idea lean toward redundant - but who knows? I always thought the map could provide boons for hexes for a while now, maybe it's something to consider.

Another idea was member/MF run events, where a group who wants to provide a larger-scale scenario could propose ideas, and if approved given a place separate from the usual RP threads (perhaps a special forum could be created for the event itself) to have anyone involved who chooses to be. I've liked the events in the past, and it could be cool to see some still happen, though without the burden falling onto staff by default.

Alternatively, what about events that are staff led but have members who can volunteer to assist? Kind of like sub-NPC players who would follow a narrative of the event staff, and help alleviate some of the posting. Or, what if instead of RPJs, there could be an Event team, who's sole focus is to provide an event once or twice a year or something? Perhaps said event team could even randomly join threads, providing passing encounters, before leaving after a few rounds?

So there's a few ideas, at any rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom