Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question Where does Chaos go from here?

Here at Chaos, we’ve amassed numerous features for roleplayers and lore builders to enjoy. We’re sitting on nearly a decade of tending this garden - it can be a bit daunting to look at it all and think, what’s next?

What new feature, what quality of life do we want? To be blunt, the only thing I’m looking at is a expansion of the Galaxy map. Nothing else really strikes me as “we need this.” After the Underworld expansion this past winter, it kind of felt like we earned ourselves a nice long break.

While I’m sure a majority of replies will be “more events”, that’s not something I’m particularly interested in - so while I’m down for listening to your ideas on that, we just don’t have a good track record of running nor participating in them. The best events will be the faction-led stuff, the organic stuff, the players stepping up to run tournaments or races or doing cool storylines. When I say “we’re having an event”, the vibes feel all off and players feel like it’s mandatory and will attend or won’t based on that.

So where do you see Chaos going this next year? What do you want out of it? What big new ideas are you churning?

Let us know below.

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
I well I enjoyed the events.. they were large and galaxy spanning and you got to interact with people you might not normally but I agree with you on the problems with them as well and natural organic ones do seem to garner more participation.

THe underworld credits have been interesting... better then the previous implementation but there isn't as much to spend them on. We can get the post bits which are interesting but maybe more features like those. Buy an additional flare slot or something. I would love custom name colors but that might get confusing as the colors designate staff and judges.

Maybe some alterations to some rules, you cleaned up a lot of redundant ones beginning of this year but as Disney continues to add other Sci Fi into the star wars sandbox well we have the closest to mobile suits with the new canon mechs which had pilots. Incorporating all of the canon from Nu to Legends makes for a massive cluster but has been fun to see.

Plus depending on which canon and what information people have you can see where and around when they entered the fandom and always fun to meet new people

I think we are pretty cool as is. I guess for map stuff you could clear the map, or make a smaller map like of Underworld territories or for minor factions or something. Maybe people could sell post templates for UC. Maybe a way to designate inactive characters so people don’t message asking to play with them, or some more aesthetic things.

I dunno. All this doesn’t feel like anything we need. It runs pretty smoothly here. The only issue I’ve had lately is getting involved in some of the huge factions that have been around forever. They always say “join the Discord” but then you get overlooked. DMs didn’t do much either. Some of the other factions who have new storylines have great ways to get people involved. So maybe a way to freshen up the older factions so people can get new faces involved? I dunno. I probably could try harder and it might just be me who has this issue. Just spitballing here.

I don’t think we need anything. Its all really cool the way it is. You all did a wonderful job building the place and I really enjoy it here.

Outside of activity checks/MFO approvals/bans, we’re pretty hands off with the factions. Natural selection solves most faction issues. If they get too cliquey, too self-involved, too close-minded, more people will leave than join. It’s not usually Staff’s place to intervene in the circle of life until Death is knockin’.

I recommend just joining a smaller faction, getting in on the ground floor, if you like that aspect of Chaos. All big factions you could name today started small.

Dorthea Dobson

Chief Director of Damascus Station
It’s hard to say… like many people here, I find the generally laissez fair/natural selection method that this forum utilizes to be highly rewarding and conducive to creative ideas. The problem with that though is that i can only imagine that it makes it difficult to “kick the beehive” and get things stirring without being too hands on.

I personally, highly support an expansion of the map, (like if another smaller galaxy was suddenly slowly colliding with the Star Wars galaxy), and it was totally devoid of civilization , and… completely developed by players perhaps? that would be exciting to me and I personally have a swath of ideas there, speaking for myself…

I don't mind site events being an option, but the cosmic scale of those types of stories tends to be a little too... crazy, I guess? The last event felt like it was geared toward major factions and didn't allow for much individual opportunity, plus it was set in the Netherworld, which some people like and others don't like as a concept. We were being asked to fight a droid god and his possessed minions in the SW equivalent of Hell, it was cool but a little overwhelming lol.

If site events were more balanced in terms of who they're geared toward and down-to-earth in scale, I think people would be more interested in them. Instead of portals to the Netherworld opening, what if the next big galactic event was a sun exploding and threatening a heavily populated solar system? (Yes I know that takes billions of years, but what if something had been deliberately done to accelerate the process, turning it into a crisis?) You could get characters from all walks of life involved in that.

Other than that, eh. I don't really care about all the cosmetic stuff or UCks, factions seem to be doing fine, etc. I am still waiting to see how getting rid of the judging process for invasions and such will pan out.

Having trouble thinking of something that Chaos truly need. But Personally, I think it would be cool if there was a search or zoom-in function to the map if you want to find a specific planet on the map. Would at least make it so I don't have to ctrl + f, but again, that's just a minor thing and mostly for convenience.

Factions will always be fine so long as they’re left to be mostly organic. The OOC aspects forces them to compete for Chaos’s new members, so they fulfill that middleground need for events, be it a galactic war or a Mando crusade or a plethora of other storylines.

Which is why the Staff-ran events were always like, calamitous and tried to provide that next overarching level. It almost always falls short, though. Save for a few nostalgic “I was there” buttons.

So long as the Factions keep everything aboveboard and relatively drama free, again Staff has no reason to involve itself. I feel like we’re in a really good spot right now, with micromanaging being at an all-time low. Things work best when Factions don’t get big heads and Staff doesn’t get too interventionist, so I’m not too worried about how the pull-back will be.

I know it’s difficult to ask storytellers for what they want and not get a bunch of story ideas in response, but I want to again reiterate I’m not exactly looking to gear up for a story event.

Having trouble thinking of something that Chaos truly need. But Personally, I think it would be cool if there was a search or zoom-in function to the map if you want to find a specific planet on the map. Would at least make it so I don't have to ctrl + f, but again, that's just a minor thing and mostly for convenience.

There is a search function in the left sidebar of the map window. Be mindful to search between canon or custom planets.

I'd say expanding the map with more planets would be nice. More opportunities for Doms and new factions to arise from the area.

The current working idea, not yet being worked on, is to increase the map size 4x.

We’d include a few of the satellite galaxies like the Rishi Maze, perhaps have a contest for some other extragalactic neighbors we could include.

No plans to wipe the map.

Dorthea Dobson

Chief Director of Damascus Station
The current working idea, not yet being worked on, is to increase the map size 4x.

We’d include a few of the satellite galaxies like the Rishi Maze, perhaps have a contest for some other extragalactic neighbors we could include.

No plans to wipe the map.
Please do this. I would die from too much happy.

I think things are fine as is at the moment. Removal of RPJs was a good idea, not really necessary after the last year of invasion outcomes were decided in-house with the faction staff. If anything, an expansion to the map is neat but more so in the sense of added details rather than making it bigger. If the issue is space, a wipe of some of the less active factions isn't a bad move - could help consolidate RP.

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
'When Tefka saw the breadth of his work, he wept for there were no more issues to conquer."

But well I like the idea of map expansion and adding the satellite galaxies... most of them are there and have nothing in them and only like 2 had worlds known. With an expansion like that maybe a colonies type feature. Where dominions within the secondary galaxies by a major faction are possible allowing them to expand there without being connected since the space in between would be largely blank space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom