Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question Where does Chaos go from here?

Matt the Radar Tech

ꜰɪxɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ʀᴀᴅᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ sᴛᴜꜰꜰ
I'd like to see some kind of automated Galactic Stock Exchange.

Maybe allow companies to be listed, be given arbitrary starting stocks, then see how they grow or not? Allow players to invest credits, play the gain/loss game? I'm not familiar with the backend of the site, but perhaps using some kind of randomized stock deviation - like how the bank used to allow for interest gain, but allowing for positive or negative gains and for stocks instead of interest?

The test run for the previous player-driven GSE was good, but required lots of hands on work; it was fun, but automated would be better and more so.

This is just spitballing, there might be an even simpler way to implement it, but yeah.

This probably falls under QOL:

What about mini-profile (to the left of posts) having player fillable sections?

The possibility of armament for characters, like listing weapons? Or links to personal ships?

I understand space could be an issue, but I've thought of that, and here's a quick mock-up for a potential solution:

profile1.png
profile2.png
profile3.png

So essentially, people have profile sections for labels and corresponding links. Above examples inputs are just examples, just what I could think of at the time of making the example.

Just an idea, anyway.

Vesta

V
I feel like this has been the most innovative suggestion that's underlying agenda is to gain a 4th flair and I will never cave.
Just out of general curiosity, if we disregard the 4th flair stuff, would the whole tabs under the avatar for information as suggested be feasible? Like it'd be pretty cool to have some general information that might be pertinent in a thread without having to post that whole equipment/loadout line in a post every single time (as an example).

Matt the Radar Tech

I feel like this has been the most innovative suggestion that's underlying agenda is to gain a 4th flair and I will never cave.

Just out of general curiosity, if we disregard the 4th flair stuff, would the whole tabs under the avatar for information as suggested be feasible? Like it'd be pretty cool to have some general information that might be pertinent in a thread without having to post that whole equipment/loadout line in a post every single time (as an example).

The additional flair isn't necessary, it could also be a link.

¯\(ツ)

I do think an expansion into that territory would be cool, yeah. Minus the flair. The portrayal Matt provided is obviously rough and not aesthetically pleasing, I would aim more for favicon buttons, but this is the type of QOL stuff I’d be looking for so it’s a good suggestion, yes.

I’m not putting text blocks under everyones postbits though. But I get the gist of the proposal.

Second King of The Elysium Empire
I 100% would love to see a Galactic stock exchange. Of course it isn't without issues...there are quite a few companies on Chaos. How would staff keep up with a stock market? Who decides which companies are on the market? Some companies fall short, meanwhile a tea company may make more sales than a galaxy-wide shipyard.

How would UC purchases be incorporated? I own a large amount of Sith+ on an alt. Would that transfer into the stock market, or would I need to start from scratch?

But if it is possible to manage, a Stock Exchange would be great.

A Galactic Stock Exchange isn't going to happen, it's not going to be Staff supported. I told the last group of guys this, they had fun doing the manual thing for a while, but it's always inevitably going to burn out.

I know those who've tried it get so hyped they won't listen to my advice, and that's fine, but without automation I won't have Staff support it. Without heavy amounts of coding, possibly more than anything else here has ever required, automation is not possible. This would require a huge amount of commitment and knowledge, neither of which I possess.

So the third option is to third party it, and bring in a developer. This costs money. I know how much money is usually required, because the professional guys - the ones I hire - cost a good bit. For example, the flair mod we have was about $500. The custom map addons we have were about $300. These are not cheap, and a custom stock exchange written for us would be astronomical, and then probably doubled, and then would require maintenance fees to keep updated.

I know how this goes, because I have experience with actually doing it, for other things here at Chaos. It's not happening, I would make it happen if I had limitless pockets, but even as deep as mine have been for Chaos I'm not willing to touch this one.

Hope this explains why we're never getting a Stock Exchange, though it's not a meme or short response so I doubt it's very fleek no cap stack.

As for the clearing the Map scenario I always that it might be cool if we allowed minor faction to team up for invasion an clear hexes. Maybe four or five a month those hexes remain neutral for a certain amount of time before a major faction can take them back?

Also I think it would be neat to add the firefist satellite galaxy as on legends/EU it interacted a lot with the main galaxy. It also has a few worlds but is also very wide open for planet and species creators to go wild. Also exploration rps in a new galaxy would also be fun.

Last edited:

Arsenio Tagge

A
I don’t know what this means

Opening the Codex to Firefist and other satellite galaxy submissons. Me personally would support this more than clearing the map, as it would provide new "real-estate".

I'm not advocating for a new Firefist or Rishi map , as I'm not sure if that's possible or feasible. I think we should treat the satellite galaxies as we treat the Netherworld.

Oh, Firefist is one of the other satellite galaxies.

As much as I don't understand the concept of a "satellite" galaxy, I'm definitely down to introduce guys like Firefist and Rishi into the next iteration of the map, yes. There's not many maps in existence for Star Wars that currently do.

Vesta

V
As much as I don't understand the concept of a "satellite" galaxy,
They're just "small" galaxies that orbit around a more massive galaxy as they move through space, the Milky Way is orbited by the Large Magellanic Cloud (a smaller galaxy that is about 1% the size of ours) for an IRL example.

I was more pointing that it's tough to wrap one's head around exactly how that works. There's no lines drawn, and the orbit of one galaxy over another is so behemothly massive that you couldn't measure it within a dozen generations.

No human can comprehend "it's one percent of our galaxy". That's a size beyond our comprehension. You can do the math, and I'm sure it checks out, but people just like to throw down wikipedia factoids while I'm out here trying to comprehend how the Yuuzhan Vong moved an entire civilization through darkspace for eons upon eons.

But sure, neighborhood galaxies. I'm all for it lol.

I will preach this till the day I day, but please allow us the opportunity to submit custom hyperlanes to the map. It’s just another way to showcase the creator’s on the map, rather than just in a sub.

Satellite galaxies would be cool as well. I’m not even thinking faction wise for Doms, Junctions, Pops, e.t.c. It’ll just be another way for us to geek out over Star Wars Space.

Also, the Wondrous Ruins of the Past contest was amazing, and I’d love to see more things like it. (P.S. please, if it ain’t too much, add in the winner’s onto the map like was listed in the prizes)

Hyperlanes aren’t important to showcase on the map. It’s also another mechanical issue.

The map is what, 16,000x16,000 pixels roughly raw. That’s bigger than 99% of images you’ve seen on the web. It’s then sliced into 1000+ different images, each representing different zoom levels. These zoom levels are then saved by the software.

Each time I re-upload this 16000x16000 image, I would have to reslice. All for a line that has a name. It’s not a good use of my time.

Matt the Radar Tech

I'm out here trying to comprehend how the Yuuzhan Vong moved an entire civilization through darkspace for eons upon eons.

But sure, neighborhood galaxies. I'm all for it lol.

Easy: they aimed, engaged thrusters, and crossed fingers.

Also, I know you said no events because reasons... but... Yuuzhan Vong invasion event?

hmm-jeff-goldblum.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom