Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How should we improve the community?

Jorus Merrill said:
I think we need a formal way for Major Factions to fight...
...and have it matter more than a Skirmish...
...without people getting their backs up and feeling attacked. So I'm proposing invasions of neutral planets.
SCENARIO: Planet X lies between the Galactic Alliance, the First Order, and the Outer Rim Coalition. Planet X is neutral. GA starts a thread on Planet X. FO and ORC jump in. Whichever faction does best, as per invasion judging rules, wins the planet.
You can sort of do this now with Rebellion rules, but by that point a faction has sunk like 150 posts into the place and feels like the other side is coming to stomp on their effort.
What I'm proposing has been done before. Once or twice, enemy factions have agreed to fight over a neutral world, winner take all. Another example is the Battle of Roche in 2013, a player-run event that saw most or all of the board's major factions fight over an unclaimed system. I believe the Republic ended up with map-recognized control of Roche after some Mando intervention. I helped run Roche, and it was remarkably low-drama. People had a blast. They had everything to gain - territory, prizes, pride - and nothing to lose.
Seann-William-Scott-Yes-Thats-Awesome.jpg

Krest said:
Galaxy War

Yassssssss.

Building on what [member="Krest"] and [member="Jorus Merrill"] are saying, I am in huge support of anything that makes faction wars bigger, louder and messier. The main reason we don't already have galaxy wars is because the effort it can take to complete even a dominion makes people doubly protective of their land and massively invested in rebellion/invasion results, making it simply too big a risk to try and fight a faction for real.

To combat this, we can half the requirements to complete dominions, shorten invasion/rebellion lengths in general by as much as a week, et cetera, et cetera. Jon's idea of factions invading neutral land is also a really good idea because the only way currently for factions to fight over land they don't already have (again, lower stakes this way) is in the rebellions initiated because they both finished a dominion of the same planet within thirty minutes of each other, which is a fairly difficult feat to achieve.

Another thing I'll throw out there is [member="Atheus"]' suggestion a while back of minor factions owning planets, as well as the idea of faction-relevant board events that bring factions together either to fight or team up, or both.

I realise this could add potentially a lot of work to the pile for staff, but as is already being suggested, we could use a handful more staff members, even if they're not full staff members.

TL;DR: shove factions into each other.. Yell "fight! fight! fight!". Repeat.

We have enough freaken combat, conflict and war type items. Yet the lot of you are wanting MORE war, combat, conflict type things.. ughhh!!!

A galaxy war? are we not roleplaying one conflict after another and another and yet again another, month after month? enough already? NO?

We do not have enough NON-WAR type RP items.

[member="Lucien E. Irridius"] Also, were you there at Omega? Might want to compare Dark Harvest vs. Omega fleeting and ground systems in this respect.

[member="Ardgal Raxis"] Marketplace separation would be well-appreciated: the current directory doesn't cut it.

[member="Carlyle Rausgeber"] When you approached the topic of SSDs for the first time, I wanted two sets of rules for ships over 3 km. Now that I've thought about it some more, while, of course, any ship over 3 km will still require the faction owner's permission to use in a thread:

Flagships (3-5km):
  • For 3 writers, a faction gets a 3 km ship; add 1 writer for each extra kilometer up to a maximum of 5
  • For 30 posts, a faction gets a 3 km ship; add 10 posts for each extra kilometer up to a maximum of 50
  • Each flagship is to be labeled as unique
  • A faction can only own as many kilometers in flagships and SSDs as they have planets
  • 1 tier-6 company (or, barring that, 2 tier-5 companies) must be involved in a flagship thread at a minimum
SSDs (5+ km):
  • A minimum of 7 writers must get involved
  • For 100 posts, a faction gets a 5km SSD; add 20 posts for each extra kilometer
  • Each SSD is to be labeled as unique
  • A faction can only own as many kilometers in flagships and SSDs as they have planets
  • 2 tier-6 companies must be involved (or, barring that, 4 tier-5 companies) must be involved in a flagship thread at a minimum
Now I understand that everybody that fleeted when the vast majority of ships available to all players in major factions are limited to 3km (usually it is understood that ships in the 2-3km range are usually 1 per writer or, in threads with multiple space theaters, like Hoth is poised to become, 1 per PC), will continue to do so. However, SSDs are unlikely to draw new players to fleeting even with the 4.0 templates.

As long we as aren't forcing combat and war on all Factions, as there are some made not to partake in wars, then we should be ok.

We need to remember not everyone is here to play a war game that requires, at times, intense amounts of time spent keeping up and creative pressure to think and act bigger, louder and better than the others to succeed. And don't start with the whole 'Star Wars means Wars', because yes I understand it does, but we aren't all here to write wars in as a serious way as others, so as long as we maintain balance and a fair way to allow people the chance to partake or not, Faction or not, then I would feel people are listening. Writing at all can be intimidating for some, and pressure of week long battles, and then rebellions, invasions, skirmishes...I'm sure it can be daunting for some.

It seems this always boils down to people who want more wars and battles, and those who don't. These threads always boil down to that divide. It's a tricky one.

Yes, lots want to invade and write with their allies etc in big invasions etc but, as I've said before, other's don't, and I know many who feel intimidated by the pressure of either taking part in invasions to show willing, or feeling useless in a Faction by not taking part then being blacklisted and looked down upon - and it has happened because I've seen it, which is a shame. Also, some people can't be logged in 7 or 8 hours a day, due to RL commitments and situations, and that fear of falling behind soon puts you off, and you lose muse, and you fall out of of writing and get forgotten because the demand is too much. People shouldn't feel they aren't able to be involved, or not be involved, just because they aren't one of the many who are lucky enough to be on here a great deal.

Nobody here is above the other, regardless of status or rank or whatever - OOC wise we are all the same and come and leave here with nothing, so need to keep that peaceful and amicable, and enjoyable, air to suit all parties without forcing battle on everyone and everyone.

That's all I've ever wanted for this place to be enjoyable and fun for all, and able to provide for each writer or Factions strengths and weaknesses without making anything down to "want to write, got to fight."

TL;DR - Communication, choice, understanding and good sportsmanship.

Again, this is just my opinion.

[member="Rashae"]

Non War Star Wars RP?

So Star RP?

In all seriousness, war is a major part of this genre. It's in the name.

I would fully support a system that makes such a huge part of Star Wars more enjoyable. Here's an idea, Outpost Dominions. These dominions would be about taking a neutral planet far away from your actual territory and dominion it. More posts than a normal, and nearby major factions can stop it, if they want to. Once finished, it acts like a major faction cloud that can invade and be invaded, but it can't dominion.

As a follow-up: I get that not everyone wants to partake in invasions and all that jazz, and I'm not saying everyone should - I just think that currently through one thing and another, wars are actually intimidating when they could be so glorious.

[member="Ignus"] Why should Major Factions mean "You Must Be Ready For War". Why can't Factions easily see which ones are battle orientated and which ones aren't? This isn't real remember, we can all make allowances.

I do not speak for them of course, but the Sacred Lotus - and please correct me if I am wrong - but they seemed to be a Major Faction who are neutral to be Healers and aides etc, not just there for war. Does that mean they need to have all writers ready to partake in invasions etc?

I know Factions are mostly "good" or "evil", but most of the time they exist in a symbiotic relationship and allow their writers to forge stories together with other Factions as they want. Invasions always seem to be the be all and end all, and Major or Minor shouldn't mean you write to fight, or not.

[member="Connor Harrison"]
If you control territory on the map you must accept the responsibility that comes with it. Germany didn't tell Poland they were going to attack and then Poland say "No, we don't want to deal with that, thanks." Germany just attacked them. When you control territory, and someone wants it, conflict is inevitable. If you don't want to fight, don't play the map game. The whole point of going major is to control territory. You aren't immune to attack just because you don't want to fight. If that's the case, stay minor. You don't need to play the map game then.

[member="Rashae"]

I respect where you're coming from and you've got a real point. That's actually something that lines up well with my 'compete over neutral planets' idea. It could work for diplomacy, for spy games, for tons of stuff. It could even open the door for friendly competition between friendly factions. I could easily see a neutral planet inviting representatives from both ORC and GA to, I dunno, impress them culturally, compete in local sports, make a case for inclusion, and the 'winner' would get the planet with not a shot fired and no feelings hurt. THAT would be cool.

Poe

тнє ναмριяє ℓσя∂
I like the concept of a Galaxy War, something similair to WW I and WW II. It doesn't neccessary have to be Dark vs Light and everything in between. It can be some huge story or event that draws Major Factions (even Minor Factions) to go against one another regardless of alignment. Long time friends/allies can break apart and fight. Even unstable alliances can have that one final push that pulls them apart. IDK, just putting in my opinion.

I haven't been around to enjoy those Chaos Events I hear so much about, why not create a Chaos Event for something involving a Galaxy War.

Decimus

D
A galaxy-spanning war'd certainly mix things up from the usual swarms of factions feuding. Perhaps the temporary creation of two massive new Empires formed from the Light Side and Dark Side factions respectively, warring against one another until one reigns supreme, in which case political intrigue and certain circumstances'll cause said new dominant power to rapidly splinter. (It'd also give folks the rare opportunity to work with writers who they wouldn't normally bump into due to plot reasons and etc! Inspire a bit of site-wide cooperation.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom