Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's your favorite jedi angle?

There's countless ways to write a jedi, from crusaders, to pacifists. Staunchly light, to gray, to dark when justified. Orders, solo, rebels, dead!

What's your favorite angle to explore when writing? I actually really enjoy a staunchly light-sided crusader that roams solo. Something about the jaded 'other' vibe has always tickled me, even if I haven't found a way to write that out here yet.

What's yours? What narrative is the most fun to you? Even if you haven't gotten a chance to explore it yet.

Tell us about it!

About 315° or so, coming up at the soft underbelly. Oh, you didn't mean geometric angles.

In all seriousness, my greatest affinity with the Jedi has been the impassioned youth hit with the cold realities of the galaxy type. So in the styles of Obi-Wan Kenobi or Kanan Jarrus (Caleb Dume), etc. Trying to comprehend the massive swings in morals or actions into something orderly and rational. Wanting to cling to tradition, but not having enough experience or discipline to do it.

I used to gravitated more towards crusader-type starfighter Jedi. Like Corran Horn or Luke Skywalker or Jaina and Jacen Solo, or Anakin but I think I like the Wayseeker Jedi. The ones who go around the galaxy setting things right without the authority of the Council, Jedi like Qui-Gon Jinn or Kyp Durron, but I think all the Jedi angles are all equally as interesting if played right.
iu

Kyra Perl Kyra Perl

quoting wiki because i lazy - In the new Jedi Order, emphasis was placed on learning through experience. While formal classes were held, students were also asked to establish their own training programs, developing their own individual approaches to the Force.

"I don't believe the training of a true Jedi comes from listening to lectures. I want to teach you how to learn action, how to do things, not just think about them. There is no try."―Luke Skywalker

rather decentralized, individualistic approach, more practical i guess, kinda like rebels with lightsabers

datloyh-74ab9d47-7860-4597-a31b-05b3aead21b3.jpg

This is my favourite Jedi Angel...

wait......
Ugh you made me panic and check my spelling.

Kyra Perl Kyra Perl

quoting wiki because i lazy - In the new Jedi Order, emphasis was placed on learning through experience. While formal classes were held, students were also asked to establish their own training programs, developing their own individual approaches to the Force.

"I don't believe the training of a true Jedi comes from listening to lectures. I want to teach you how to learn action, how to do things, not just think about them. There is no try."―Luke Skywalker

rather decentralized, individualistic approach, more practical i guess, kinda like rebels with lightsabers

Yeah I like that too. Something about the padawan years is so interesting to me. That edge gives so much space for growth and lessons.

I think I like the Wayseeker Jedi. The ones who go around the galaxy setting things right without the authority of the Council, Jedi like Qui-Gon Jinn o

I love those vibes too. It's raw and aged-- you up against the galaxy but you don't bend, you just try to make good happen. Qui-Gon was a good one.

hand waves You will think so too.

Be careful what you wish for.
Caltin is, for all of his idiosyncrasies "Old School" at heart. Sure, the Code is not something he follows to the letter, but that is because he is following the Nine Tenets moreso. He is also not one that is pure "Dark vs. Light". I mean he is for the most part, but he has and will defend a Sith who is not a threat against an overly aggressive Jedi. The big guy is also more of a peacekeeper than the peacekeepers as he has the US Military outlook (hear me out on this naysayers! :p) The original thought is that the military bases across the world were to keep the "fight" off of the country's shores. He travels and took the fight to those who would do harm to keep it away from the doorsteps of the Temples. While he believes in the need for a Jedi Counsel, his opinion is "pfft", but would never take a chair if asked because he believes that it is better to lead by example rather than decree.

I'm a big Luke fanboy so I'm all about learning through experience, which made a young Thurion's departure from the Jedi Order of the Republic and its subsequent fall most fitting as they were very much rooted in the Prequels Jedi Order. It's also why I've barely ever done any lectures or classes.

I also very much believe in keeping Force powers to a minimum when writing if at all possible, unless the situation calls for a big show of force. If your character isn't interesting without the use of Force powers, then the character is a failure.

As for the Jedi Code, Thurion believes that the ancient mantra is outdated and he has directly opposed it several times due to its rigidity. Jedi should be kind and compassionate, and love should not be some taboo subject. Luke championed this when he married Mara Jade in Legends Canon.

I know I'm flip-flopping between my own views and that of my character, but hey we're pretty much inseparable at this point.

I also very much believe in keeping Force powers to a minimum when writing if at all possible, unless the situation calls for a big show of force. If your character isn't interesting without the use of Force powers, then the character is a failure.

^^ This 100%

— I also have written Jedi types from each era, but i’m finding that I like the more pre-classic Jedi the more I explore things with Romi.

Those along the lines of Nomi Sunrider, Ulic Qel-Droma etc

But I also enjoy NJO/Legacy — and I feel like there’s some parallels there.

Dagon said:

There’s definitely an exploration of both in Romi.

Lots.

ᴛʜᴇ ɢɪʀʟ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴏʟᴅᴇɴ ɢᴜɴ
Dead. Oh you want actual feedback?
I personally don't like Jedi much. Idc if people play them, There are some jedi characters here I actually really enjoy! But it's not my style.

I also wish that star wars would give some attention to the other cultures and factions in universe. It was basically "The jedi show" until recently.
But it was those recent shows that actually showed me my favorite kind of Jedi.
Wayseekers and rogues like Ahsoka tano! Putting the flimsy stagnation and bureaucracy of the council behind and using your powers to make a difference! To get those hands dirty and actually use them for good! instead of sitting on them and stroking your ego in a tower far removed from the troubles of the galaxy ;p

That is what luke taught me a Jedi should be as a kid. That's what Ahsoka and even kanen taught me later. (Not to mention the many legends characters that took a similar approach.)

tldr; Jedi vigilante ftw!

So far the most fun I've had writing a Jedi has been with Starlin here. I'd describe him as a Jedi fanboy - someone who utterly adores being a Jedi Knight and takes joy in being able to live out that heroic role. He is largely untouched by irony, cynicism, or self-awareness, and just plain loves what he does - mostly because if I was in his position, as someone who grew up with these tales of Jedi Knights, I would love having the chance to do it myself too.

... That sounds really childish now that I've typed it, but I think you know what I mean. :p

Granted, this character is still very young and early on in his Jedi career, so I haven't fully explored what angle he'll wind up going with. What I have noticed as he's developed is that he is far less likely to be broken by the horrors of war (i.e. atrocities committed by the Sith) than he is to be disillusioned by the less-than-perfect behavior of his peers and role models. He also falls victim to guilt and self-loathing when he fails to live up to his own standards. Like I said, he loves the idea of the Jedi and becomes frustrated when other Jedi fail to meet that ideal. Knowing that, I can see him becoming a Rogue Jedi, although I think I'd find it more interesting to have him stubbornly hold out and continue to be a mainstream Jedi, determined to keep the faith and fight the good fight in spite of his flaws and failures. Starlin just doesn't strike me as the type to give up on his dreams - and that's really what being a Jedi is to him. The fulfilling of a dream.

I prefer to take things in pure perspective. I don't think of my Jedi, or Sith for that matter as an absolute. They have their own feelings, and external stimuli will either keep them on their path, or cause them to think outside of it. There are some examples of this I could think of...

Ahsoka Tano - Stuck strictly to the Jedi code, but lost her temper more than once during the Clone Wars and outright killed those that killed without warrant; her path is admirable, and she's one of my favorite characters throughout the entire series as a whole, followed closely Boba Fett.. I love her most recent iteration in the series. Memorable note is later on in the series when Vader tries to take a shot at her not following the Jedi Code, to which she reminds him she isn't a Jedi. (Although, very much acting as one would).

Luke's appraisal of Ben - Luke having a momentary lapse of judgment, and attempting to kill Ben is another good one to note. Though in the end he wasn't going to, its that one moment of action that really sets a tone for both parties in the future. Once you pull the trigger, or fire up the saber in this instance, you can't take it back. It also shows that the Jedi aren't infallible, and aren't immune to emotion.

Mace, Anakin/Vader, and Palpatine - After the battle with Palpatine, Mace quite literally said screw the code (rightfully) and decided Palpatine was better off dead. Anakin even reminds him it isn't the Jedi way, to which Mace realized that in that instance, the code didn't help the situation. He was right, Palpatine was too dangerous to be left alive, he simply wasn't aware how dangerous Palpatine already was.

Obi-Wan Kenobi - After witnessing Qui-Gon Jin struck down by Maul, his fighting became impassioned, landing strikes, and even breaking Maul's saber where him and his Master fighting together couldn't seem to land any strikes of merit against the Sith before. This is definitely up for interpretation, but I believe that Obi-Wan began to get the upper hand in this fight due to his anger at the situation, although of course it ultimately ended with him almost being careening to his death.

As a special note, and nothing to do with Jedi; I think its of merit to note Din Djarin.

With our understanding of the Mandalorian code, his actions regarding his helmet only seem to push my point further... I think that there are some characters than can fully melt into an archetype, and just be that... And there are other characters that are more freeform. I prefer to write the latter, letting the universe shape them as they go.

I would say the limit to this is flip-flopping. Jedi this week, Sith the next... Back to a Jedi a few weeks later, and vice-versa.

All that being said, I agree with you Kyra Perl Kyra Perl My preferred "Force Warrior" to write has to be jaded somewhat. Able to feel with impunity, and not locked into following (either) codes to a point they lose their humanity. Even if this comes at a detriment of them reaching their full potential.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
EU5L.gif

I'm still a firm Wuxia fanboy. To this day, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is the best Star Wars film I've ever seen. It strikes at the heart of human theater surrounded by swords and magicians, soldiers and citizens. It is the East to my West and it touches every Star Wars cord in my heart. I story of heroes and love. In a harsh, restrictive, complicated, living world.

It taught me to focus my Jedi on aspirations of finding inner peace and beneviolent love. It taught me that battle and power comes naturally to heroes, but it is how they use it that determines what they are. It taught me that real, oppressive struggle is everywhere in soceity and that it is people, not magic, that get you through the darkest of times.

I love Star Wars. I don't think there is any 'wrong' way to do 'Jedi'. But I can't help but think that every real world culture out there has a little Jedi to offer to us as writers too. East, west, and everything in between.

It’s always the mysticism and magic that set the Jedi apart for me and what makes them so iconic within the space opera world. Take that away, and honestly, they feel just sort of like a generic sci fi super soldier hero that could come from a dozen different series. But the Force elevates then to something different and, frankly, still something unmatched in sci fi or fantasy.

Part of that is the inherent paradox that exists within the Jedi. They’re warrior-monks who aren’t meant to kill. They’re champions of the people who (in the movies) are subject to the affairs of state. In many ways, to be a Jedi is to be in constant state tension and paradox. Especially with the Daoist/Taoist influence that underlies the Star Wars metaphysical reality. It operates on a fundamentally different level than what we’re used to as a materialistic and naturalistic society (as is the bulk of the people in the Star Wars galaxy), which adds another massive fundamental source of tension that is sadly not as explored as it might be in most of the media I’ve run into.

So my favorite angle to take for Jedi is one that explores these paradoxes and these tensions that, fundamentally, are driven by competing philosophies that Lucas sort of mixed. Then add in some of the bushido aspects of the Jedi, and there’s even more tension.

The Wayseeker style has been the ones that I’ve found most conducive for exploring those elements, started by Master Fay and the other itinerant Jedi that caught my interest far more than the others in the Prequels, who still feel a little incongruous every time I watch them. The idea of a warrior monk with magic derived from
living in harmony with themselves and the universe in service to the common people, outside the government or law enforcement always draws me in more than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom