Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion What is your opinion of the Star Wars Special Editions and other edits?

What is your opinion of the Star Wars special editions and/or any other changes that have been made?

• I don't like them.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I don't mind them, but wish the theatrical versions were more readily available.

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • I don't care either way.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I like them/think they are better than the theatrical versions.

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Nobody cares, nerd.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • What's a Star Wars?

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
This may only be interesting to people who like filmmaking/movies, but since I happen to like both filmmaking/movies and Star Wars, I'm gonna survey y'all's opinions on the matter.

For those of you who are unaware of what the Star Wars Special Editions are, a quick explanation: Ever since the 1997 re-release of the Original Trilogy, the Star Wars films have been subjected to various edits with every re-release to home video. These range from cleaning up the special effects and removing mistakes, to weird and/or pointless additions, to heavily altering the contents of a scene. The picture has been tinted with different colors, which in some shots made Vader's red lightsaber look magenta. Shots and lines of dialogue have been changed or re-recorded with a different actor, deleting the original actor's entire performance. Puppets, models, and miniatures have been replaced with CGI. Most infamously, the cantina scene in A New Hope was edited so that Greedo shoots first rather than Han, apparently because George Lucas thought it made Han seem too violent.

Anyway, there have been a lot of changes made over the years, so here's a few videos which go into detail on the edits:

And finally, here is the Wikipedia page dedicated to this topic.

Plenty of fans have done plenty of complaining about these changes over the years, and there's also been backlash from people calling said fans "entitled" and saying that it's George Lucas' movies and he gets to do whatever he wants with them. So for the sake of brevity, I'm only going to stress one thing here: none of this would matter if the theatrical cut of the films were readily available. As of right now, the only way a film collector can buy personal copies of the Original Trilogy without all the tampering is by getting a special box set that includes both the special editions and a "theatrical edition" of each film, the latter of which is taken from a crappy low-quality LaserDisc transfer. You might also be able to acquire VHS tapes of the movies at a thrift store, but it's more likely to be the 1997 special editions. What about streaming on Disney+? Those are based on the 2011 Blu-rays, which contain even more edits. The fact that Disney now owns Star Wars hasn't changed anything. In fact, some people believe that the original film negative of the films was somehow lost or destroyed during the process of making these edits, which effectively means that there is no Star Wars, lmao.

Alright, I better wrap this up, since I'm starting to sound a little hysterical here - I just can't believe that this is an actual problem with one of the most popular film franchises ever. It aggravates me all the more because I care about film preservation and I collect movies, so it's just... sad and frustrating. On a lighter note, there is hope in the form of the various "Despecialized Editions" out there on the Internet, which compile various sources together to create high definition version of the theatrical cut.

But anyway, please vote in the poll and give your opinions in this thread, if you like.

Vesta

V
I don't personally care one way or the other which version I see, the edits are just visual/aesthetics, but I also don't think it should be so difficult to get original cut versions, either.

Algarus

I'm old I know.
Honestly, I grew up with the VHS copies of Star Wars. I have only had issues with the newest cut for one reason, the dumb 'nooooooo' track they added to Vader turning on Palpatine triggers me. Completely ruins the scene. I honestly have no idea how that was thought to be a good idea. Other than that, yea, it doesn't bother me too much.

Honestly, I grew up with the VHS copies of Star Wars. I have only had issues with the newest cut for one reason, the dumb 'nooooooo' track they added to Vader turning on Palpatine triggers me. Completely ruins the scene. I honestly have no idea how that was thought to be a good idea. Other than that, yea, it doesn't bother me too much.
This. So much this. I don't care about most of the edits, but this was such a head scratcher of a moment. It kills literally all of the power of the scene.

As a whole, the edits don't bug me. As a film student and a screenwriter/filmmaker, I will say that Lucas probably needs to learn when something is finished, but I can also understand having technology at your fingertips that you didn't have before. Idk, I've heard people throw fits about making Ewoks blink or whatever, and I don't care about that stuff. It's fine.

Han shot first though. Sorry to anyone who may think otherwise, but he did. Him shooting first was a great introduction to him being a shady, yet practical guy at the beginning of the story, and helps to solidify his growth throughout the course of the film.

Algarus

I'm old I know.
I'm actually alright with the changes to ESB (in the most part). Mostly minor visuals that make cloud City feel more light and airy.

The other two are travesties. The Jabba scene is terrible, Hayden in RotJ will always irk me.
I've always skipped the Jabba music scene crap. That stuff is just a travesty.

I'm actually alright with the changes to ESB (in the most part). Mostly minor visuals that make cloud City feel more light and airy.

The other two are travesties. The Jabba scene is terrible, Hayden in RotJ will always irk me.
On the note of the Anakin thing, I actually forgot about that change. Not a fan. If Vader was redeemed, and that's when he connected with the Force on the level of becoming a Force ghost, then he should look like older Anakin. At least, that's my train of thought regarding that. It just made no sense. Obi-Wan and Yoda are both old, so why tf is Anakin not?

Oh goodness, I always forget what they did with the Jabba's Palace song.
ArtisticMinorBilby-max-1mb.gif

Let's take a quick inventory here. All the edits range from completely unnecessary to literally ruining the scenes they're inserted into. I don't think anything more clearly demonstrates George Lucas' inability to understand his own creation.

The problem is Star Wars' creator is both obsessive-compulsive and a tech nerd. Someone needed to keep him away from an editing room 30 years ago for the good of humanity. Every time a new piece of film technology comes out, this man has a compulsion to retroactively insert it into Star Wars, despite the fact that it's just going to look dated in 10 years anyway. And so the need for more edits continues, resulting in an increasingly deranged Frankenstein product that barely resembles the originals and -- surprise! -- still looks like crap!

Decimus

D
The victory celebration music at the end of ROTJ is WAAAAAAAY better than Yubnub. Feels more fitting/appropriate. I'm in favour of the edits tbh.

Matt the Radar Tech

ꜰɪxɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ʀᴀᴅᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ sᴛᴜꜰꜰ
I like the subtle enhancements. Like adding aliens in the background, or ships, or creatures. Just the small, not-the-focus stuff.

Example, I got a little giddy when I saw the YT-2400 Outrider above Mos Eisley.

The blatant replacements or edits, I can take or leave. I understand some are improvements, like the CGI Yoda over the prequel puppet (which seemed worse than the original trilogy puppet, somehow?), or fixing errors with transparent shadows or elements that shouldn't be - like the structural frame on Luke's snowspeeder, where you can see the AT-AT walkers legs passing behind it.

Other that that... eh?

I am fine with most edits. Considering I have been around the edits since the time I was born. Love changes like adding the prequel worlds towards the end of Six. The Emperor having his usual appearance replace the god awful first before Jedi.

I will say the edit that irritates me to no end and was never ever needed, was the Vader “No” scene for Jedi. I can appreciate how it worked in a Frankenstein way in ROTS. In the last film however, it was best that Vader was silent when turning on his Master. Every time I hear that thrown in “No” I cringe.

I remember one of the DVD edits had Luke with a green lightsaber when training with the probe ball.

The 97 edition of Star Wars with the CG Jabba looks horrible. The newer version looks less bad but still looks like a giant turd.

Keeping in mind that once Palpatine had christened him Darth Vader, Anakin was dead made me not mind the redo with HC at the end celebration. I like the new version with the montage. I hated the new palace dancer song, but I did like the little blip of Boba Fett flirting with the ladies, all like excuse me girls, time to go to work

I love the aforementioned De-Specialized edition trilogy. Definitely the best original cut you will see. The original documentary about restoring the edit is interesting in and of itself.

A fan editor named Adywan did a re-edit of the trilogy, using the best parts of the special edition. Like he kept all of the good FX scenes but kept the original Han shoots first, as well as tweaking some FX with mixed results. He even managed to slip the Imperial March into the film at just the right moment.

There's also awesome fanedits of the sequel trilogy. The Rise of Skywalker: Ascendant is freakin amazeballs. I love it with every part of my body, including my head tails. I used to have another version of The Last Jedi, but whoever ripped the file I DL'ed had rendered it in 720p so I deleted it. I did like that they were trying to give the movie a better treatment; much of the silliness fans complained about was reduced or cut out altogether. I haven't seen a Fan cut of TFA because I largely like the film as is.

The king of fanedits is without a doubt Smudger9, who made the Clone Wars films out of the TV series. Up to 5 films before he had a major computer fail and lost all his footage. When he got back into the editing game again, rather than continue with the Clone Wars he decided to make a feature length film of The Mandalorian. It's nearly flawless. While I feel that there were a few scenes that he should have kept IN, I know that he was going for the core of the story and tried not to make it too long. With opening crawl and end credits, it's just over 2:30:00 in length but you certainly don't feel it since he got the pacing just right.

Last mention will be the Anti-Cheese Edits of the PT by Jeremy M. West. Some of the best changes he did to Episode I was to change the voices of the aliens and Queen Amidala; he restored Natalie Portman's voice instead of that version that sounds like Elizabeth Holmes. The Nemoidians have slightly different subtitles as well and the combination of improved dialogue and alien voices makes them much more menacing. Jar Jar is also much improved in the same way. And in ROTS, he removed the NOOOOOOO meme.

Most of these versions can be found by going through fanedit.org or originaltrilogy.com.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom